The Christian God is Love?

SteveB

Self-righteous = having or characterized by a certainty, especially an unfounded one, that one is totally correct or morally superior

Self-righteousness, also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness and holier-than-thou attitudes[1][2] is a feeling or display of (usually smug) moral superiority[3] derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. Self-righteous individuals are often intolerant of the opinions and behaviors of others.[4]

The term "self-righteous" is often considered derogatory (see, for example, journalist and essayist James Fallows' description of self-righteousness in regard to Nobel Peace Prize winners)[5] particularly because self-righteous individuals are often thought to exhibit hypocrisy due to the belief that humans are imperfect and can therefore never be infallible, an idea similar to that of the Freudian defense mechanism of reaction formation. The connection between self-righteousness and hypocrisy predates Freud's views, however, as evidenced by the 1899 book Good Mrs. Hypocrite by the pseudonymous author "Rita".

SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS

self-ri'-chus-nes:

A term that has come to designate moral living as a way of salvation; or as a ground for neglecting the redemptive work of Jesus Christ. The thought is present in the teaching of Jesus, who spoke one parable particularly to such as reckoned themselves to be righteous (Luke 18:9). The Pharisees quite generally resented the idea of Jesus that all men needed repentance and they most of all. They regarded themselves as righteous and looked with contempt on "sinners." Paul in all his writings, especially Romans 3; Galatians 3; Ephesians 2; Philippians 3, contrasts the righteousness that is God's gift to men of faith in Jesus Christ, with righteousness that is "of the law" and "in the flesh." By this latter he means formal conformity to legal requirements in the strength of unregenerate human nature. He is careful to maintain (compare Ro 7) that the Law is never really kept by one's own power. On the other hand, in full agreement with Jesus, Paul looks to genuine righteousness in living as the demand and achievement of salvation based on faith. God's gift here consists in the capacity progressively to realize righteousness in life (compare Romans 8:1).

Nope, doesn't fit
My certainty that we are morally superior to God is NOT an unfounded one!
Not YOUR definition. Of course not.
We're not using YOUR definition. I'm using God's definition.

1 “I was sought by those who did not ask for Me;
I was found by those who did not seek Me.​
I said, ‘Here I am, here I am,’​
To a nation that was not called by My name.​
2 I have stretched out My hands all day long to a rebellious people,​
Who walk in a way that is not good,​
According to their own thoughts;​
3 A people who provoke Me to anger continually to My face;​
Who sacrifice in gardens,​
And burn incense on altars of brick;​
4 Who sit among the graves,​
And spend the night in the tombs;​
Who eat swine’s flesh,​
And the broth of abominable things is in their vessels;​
5 Who say, ‘Keep to yourself,
Do not come near me,
For I am holier than you!’
These are smoke in My nostrils,
A fire that burns all the day.
6 “Behold, it is written before Me:​
I will not keep silence, but will repay—​
Even repay into their bosom—​
7 Your iniquities and the iniquities of your fathers together,”​
Says the LORD,​
“Who have burned incense on the mountains​
And blasphemed Me on the hills;​
Therefore I will measure their former work into their bosom.”​

So..... I encourage you to read, learn, and engage for the purpose of understanding, learning, and comprehension.

WE are unclean things?
OUR righteousness is like a filthy rag?
Indeed.

Jesus said that the things highly esteemed by men are an abomination to God.

Look at the source, Steve!
This is coming from a being who drowns babies, condones slavery, commands followers to kill unbelievers, etc
Actually it's coming from the One who is Holy, Just, Righteous, Gracious, Compassionate, and Love.
So, you go right ahead. Assassinate yourself. Not really sure why you keep thinking doing so is such a great idea, but you are achieving it.
Spectacularly so.

Shake Him off
Scrape Him off the bottom of your shoe
Ah, the classic line from the Scrooged movie.
She didn't turn out so well did she! A snob whose hatred ate her alive. Even Scrooge needed saving.

I happen to like knowing YHVH. He's a lot better friend than you'll ever be.

SteveB

And I had assumed that you are mature enough to simply ask a question rather than bitch and moan that your questions are never answered while simultaneously refusing to supply said question{s}
Well, if you're so immature that you refuse to read, then you've just excluded yourself from conversation.

SteveB

This post is typical of you.
OF course it is. It invites you to actually partake in the conversation I'm having. So, if you don't want to be engaged, then why are you here?

It does and says nothing.
Actually it gives you the opportunity to actually engage in responsibility for your part in this conversation.

There is no engagement or good will.
there's far more engagement and good will than you've ever demonstrated.

Are you so frustrated because you can't get your message across that you post in this sullen manner?
Actually I'm giving you the responsiblity of acting like an adult, and engage in adult conversation, by taking responsibility for yourself.

If so, you are obviously ignorant as to the good reasons your message fails.
I'm not the one who's continuining to whine, and complain that others aren't engaging in conversation.

Whatsisface

OF course it is. It invites you to actually partake in the conversation I'm having. So, if you don't want to be engaged, then why are you here?

Actually it gives you the opportunity to actually engage in responsibility for your part in this conversation.

Actually I'm giving you the responsiblity of acting like an adult, and engage in adult conversation, by taking responsibility for yourself.

I'm not the one who's continuining to whine, and complain that others aren't engaging in conversation.
No one takes you seriously.

treeplanter

Self-righteousness, also called sanctimoniousness, sententiousness and holier-than-thou attitudes[1][2] is a feeling or display of (usually smug) moral superiority[3] derived from a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person. Self-righteous individuals are often intolerant of the opinions and behaviors of others.[4]

The term "self-righteous" is often considered derogatory (see, for example, journalist and essayist James Fallows' description of self-righteousness in regard to Nobel Peace Prize winners)[5] particularly because self-righteous individuals are often thought to exhibit hypocrisy due to the belief that humans are imperfect and can therefore never be infallible, an idea similar to that of the Freudian defense mechanism of reaction formation. The connection between self-righteousness and hypocrisy predates Freud's views, however, as evidenced by the 1899 book Good Mrs. Hypocrite by the pseudonymous author "Rita".

SELF-RIGHTEOUSNESS

self-ri'-chus-nes:

A term that has come to designate moral living as a way of salvation; or as a ground for neglecting the redemptive work of Jesus Christ. The thought is present in the teaching of Jesus, who spoke one parable particularly to such as reckoned themselves to be righteous (Luke 18:9). The Pharisees quite generally resented the idea of Jesus that all men needed repentance and they most of all. They regarded themselves as righteous and looked with contempt on "sinners." Paul in all his writings, especially Romans 3; Galatians 3; Ephesians 2; Philippians 3, contrasts the righteousness that is God's gift to men of faith in Jesus Christ, with righteousness that is "of the law" and "in the flesh." By this latter he means formal conformity to legal requirements in the strength of unregenerate human nature. He is careful to maintain (compare Ro 7) that the Law is never really kept by one's own power. On the other hand, in full agreement with Jesus, Paul looks to genuine righteousness in living as the demand and achievement of salvation based on faith. God's gift here consists in the capacity progressively to realize righteousness in life (compare Romans 8:1).

Not YOUR definition. Of course not.
We're not using YOUR definition. I'm using God's definition.

1 “I was sought by those who did not ask for Me;
I was found by those who did not seek Me.​
I said, ‘Here I am, here I am,’​
To a nation that was not called by My name.​
2 I have stretched out My hands all day long to a rebellious people,​
Who walk in a way that is not good,​
According to their own thoughts;​
3 A people who provoke Me to anger continually to My face;​
Who sacrifice in gardens,​
And burn incense on altars of brick;​
4 Who sit among the graves,​
And spend the night in the tombs;​
Who eat swine’s flesh,​
And the broth of abominable things is in their vessels;​
5 Who say, ‘Keep to yourself,
Do not come near me,
For I am holier than you!’
These are smoke in My nostrils,
A fire that burns all the day.
6 “Behold, it is written before Me:​
I will not keep silence, but will repay—​
Even repay into their bosom—​
7 Your iniquities and the iniquities of your fathers together,”​
Says the LORD,​
“Who have burned incense on the mountains​
And blasphemed Me on the hills;​
Therefore I will measure their former work into their bosom.”​

So..... I encourage you to read, learn, and engage for the purpose of understanding, learning, and comprehension.

Indeed.

Jesus said that the things highly esteemed by men are an abomination to God.

Actually it's coming from the One who is Holy, Just, Righteous, Gracious, Compassionate, and Love.
So, you go right ahead. Assassinate yourself. Not really sure why you keep thinking doing so is such a great idea, but you are achieving it.
Spectacularly so.

Ah, the classic line from the Scrooged movie.
She didn't turn out so well did she! A snob whose hatred ate her alive. Even Scrooge needed saving.

I happen to like knowing YHVH. He's a lot better friend than you'll ever be.
Oh, well, if we are going by your definition of self righteousness
"a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person"
then I am most definitely NOT self righteous!

I don't claim that my beliefs, actions, and affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person, Steve

To the contrary, my claim is that my beliefs, actions, and affiliations are perfectly in sync with the beliefs, actions, and affiliations of most every human being on earth and that OUR beliefs, actions, and affiliations are vastly superior to God's!

God's definition doesn't count for squat, Steve, because God is an immoral thug
You're going to have to prove to me that God is good and just before you can expect me to value His definitions

Holy, Just, Righteous, Gracious, Compassionate, and Loving beings don't create us degenerate and deserving from birth of punishment

Holy, Just, Righteous, Gracious, Compassionate, and Loving beings don't drown babies, condone slavery, order the killing of unbelievers, etc

The only difference between God's morality and the crap on the bottom of your shoe is your shoe

treeplanter

You're not the one who is continuing to whine and complain that others aren't engaging in conversation?

I see, so it must have been a different SteveB who had this to say in post #215:
"And yet, I've asked dozens of questions, which have yet to be answered"

SteveB

Your 'thinking' is that making a woman marry her rapist is protecting her. Yes - I'll criticize that.
Ok. I have an idea for you....
Travel back to 1450 BCE, hook up with Moses, while he's on the mountain talking with YHVH, and talk it over with them. I think this will be the most effective way of handling it.
then, when you return, let's talk further.
I'd love to hear the outcome of that conversation.

I think just fine. Your 'list' had zero empirical evidence.
Yet you provide me with no empirical evidence to think you know what you're talking about.
Why is that?

If this is how you rationalize that then I accept it. But if you think that making a victim of rape remain the property of her rapist is somehow taking care of her then....wow.
I don't need to rationalize. I'm not the one having a problem with what was stated 3450 years ago, and then committing suicide to prove the error of their beliefs.

You cannot make this so it is a good thing to make a woman marry her rapist. Sorry dude.
Again, take it up with YHVH.

Considering that he's the one who commanded it, and according to his own word, knows eternity past to eternity future, it's pretty clear he was fully aware of your complaint back then, and didn't concern himself with it.

So.... you go right ahead. Take it up with Him.

Sure buddy - sure.

Nonsensical.

Same.
Well--- you're the one who is complaining to someone in the present about something that was written down 3450 years ago.
So, it seems to me that it's you who are acting nonsensical.

SteveB

Nope - we are done. You are immoral - like Stiggy and Crow you've shown that you cannot honestly deal with what God did in the OT. Instead you make horrifically immoral arguments to avoid saying God did something bad. Instead of being Christ-like or following the Golden Rule you are devoid of empathy and do not much care if children are killed or women are kept as sex slaves - as long as your religion is true and you get into heaven.

Your religion has made you, Stiggy, and Crow immoral.

There is nothing in your apolgetic defense of Christianity or your Christain moral stance that has value or I would ever share with my children. I teach them kindness to all and empathy. I will not teach them that it is good to make a woman marry her rapist.

Your apologetic defense of the faith has failed. To be a Christian, to accept your arguments as 'moral', I owuld have to become a psychopath. No thanks - I have far to much empathy to ever follow this morality.

Take care :)

PS: I cannot stress this enough: drowning babies is clearly bad. The best way to protect a woman is to get her away from her rapist. Please don't tell fathers to kill and burn their sons. Don't kidnap virgins and keep them as property. Don't tell the army to kill every man, woman, and child in Iraq just because we won the war. And do not actually do any of the things you claim to be morally OK. Most of what you consider 'moral' are felonies so reconsider.

Please.

then you should report me to the morality police.
And by all means--- make sure you bring plenty of rocks to throw.

I do however think you need to consider this as you start loading the rocks in your front loader.

1 Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. 2 But we know that the judgment of God is according to truth against those who practice such things. 3 And do you think this, O man, you who judge those practicing such things, and doing the same, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4 Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance? 5 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”:[fn] 7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, 9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; 10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God.​
12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law 13 (for not the hearers of the law are just in the sight of God, but the doers of the law will be justified; 14 for when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do the things in the law, these, although not having the law, are a law to themselves, 15 who show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and between themselves their thoughts accusing or else excusing them) 16 in the day when God will judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ, according to my gospel.​

SteveB

Oh yeah?
Name one, Steve

What kind of self-absorbed, immature and disingenuous individual would post "I've asked dozens of questions, which have yet to be answered" dozens and dozens and dozens of times without ever once simply providing a single question that has allegedly been asked?
I did.
I explicitly stated they're scattered throughout my posts. According to the forum software, I now have 839 posts.
So, I've shown you where to look.

SteveB

Sending someone to Hell for the "crime" of believing in a different god is a form of assassination, Steve
Actually the assassination is choosing to believe in that which neither can give you life, nor is alive, while you curse the God who is alive, and gives life.

SteveB

I have done immoral things, but I am not in need of a savior - and certainly not a savior who's own immorality is infinitely more egregious than anything I could ever even conceive of, let alone accomplish in reality
If you're not in need of a savior, then Jesus isn't for you.
Bye.

SteveB

Oh, well, if we are going by your definition of self righteousness
"a sense that one's beliefs, actions, or affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person"
then I am most definitely NOT self righteous!

I don't claim that my beliefs, actions, and affiliations are of greater virtue than those of the average person, Steve
And yet you've called me twisted, warped, sick, and a number of other epithets, showing me that you believe yourself morally superior to both me, and YHVH.
So, I'd say that your own words condemn you as a liar, and a fraud.

To the contrary, my claim is that my beliefs, actions, and affiliations are perfectly in sync with the beliefs, actions, and affiliations of most every human being on earth and that OUR beliefs, actions, and affiliations are vastly superior to God's!
This is what is known as self-righteous.
You agree that your morality is the same as rapists, murderers, thieves, adulterers, fornicators, political criminals, etc..., and all of you are more righteous than YHVH.

God's definition doesn't count for squat, Steve, because God is an immoral thug
You're going to have to prove to me that God is good and just before you can expect me to value His definitions

Holy, Just, Righteous, Gracious, Compassionate, and Loving beings don't create us degenerate and deserving from birth of punishment

Holy, Just, Righteous, Gracious, Compassionate, and Loving beings don't drown babies, condone slavery, order the killing of unbelievers, etc

The only difference between God's morality and the crap on the bottom of your shoe is your shoe

Commit suicide much?

SteveB

You're not the one who is continuing to whine and complain that others aren't engaging in conversation?

I see, so it must have been a different SteveB who had this to say in post #215:
"And yet, I've asked dozens of questions, which have yet to be answered"
did you have a point you wanted to make?