The decline of American Christianity

A quick google search indicates that the NASB was first published in 1971, followed by the NIV in 1978 with both becoming increasingly popular in the following years ... is it coincidental that the moral decay/decline in American Christianity seems to have really begun snowballing downhill shortly thereafter? Until then, most "average" regular church-going Christians had never heard of much less read a critical text translation. I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts on this.

This thread is divisive in tone and it appears to be deliberately posted to cause disunity. I'll be watching to see if this is true.

Last edited by a moderator:
A quick google search indicates that the NASB was first published in 1971, followed by the NIV in 1978 with both becoming increasingly popular in the following years ... is it coincidental that the moral decay/decline in American Christianity seems to have really begun snowballing downhill shortly thereafter? Until then, most "average" regular church-going Christians had never heard of much less read a critical text translation. I'm genuinely curious as to your thoughts on this.
Cause and effect cannot be proven. You have not established any measurable criteria and actual time table for a “decline of American Christianity. Any why single out American Christianity from world wide Christianity? So the question appears to be a setup for a KJVO rant.

I suspect the moral decline is the cause of the critical text translations rather than a consequence. Paul noted the mystery of iniquity had already begun to infiltrate the church while he was still alive.

That is a typical KJV-only allegation that has not been proven to be true. Several KJV-only authors make a similar claim.

This opinion or claim would be based on the post-hoc fallacy. The post hoc fallacy claims that what is first in time is necessarily the cause of what follows. Many superstitions were based on this fallacy. Many things happen after other events (even regularly) without being caused by them.

That is a typical KJV-only allegation that has not been proven to be true. Several KJV-only authors make a similar claim.

This opinion or claim would be based on the post-hoc fallacy. The post hoc fallacy claims that what is first in time is necessarily the cause of what follows. Many superstitions were based on this fallacy. Many things happen after other events (even regularly) without being caused by them.
I'm not a KJV only type to begin with, however I must say that I would love to see each and every NIV bible burned, and the translators ridiculed for their criminal participation. Let me give just one example why:

When Saul retreats into the cave David is hiding in, the author uses a euphemism that is still appropriate today. He says Saul went into the cave to "cover his feet". The translators of the NIV REMOVED it entirely from the text, and replaced it with "he relieved himself".

How would you feel if you wrote a brilliant euphemism only to have a translator simply ignore it altogether and replace it with that uninspired slop? The NIV makes Cliff's Notes of the bible look like Shakespeare.

It’s a simple fact. They see the so-called word of God all saying something different. Sinners see that. They know all those translations say different things. It’s like walking through a grocery store to them trying to figure out what cereal to buy.
Hypocrisy can be somewhat blatant sometimes so when the typical bible thumping hypocrite comes along, one doesn't need to have the best translation to know the bible isn't making those who read it moral, virtuous, charitable, merciful, etc. They see angry self righteous indulgent creeps waving their bibles, and it's a complete turn off.

Plenty of people interpret the bible differently using the same translation.

This thread is divisive in tone and it appears to be deliberately posted to cause disunity. I'll be watching to see if this is true.
The tone was not meant to be divisive, and certainly isn't any more so than the majority of the other posts in this forum. And I'm amused by the "disunity" reference as EVERY post in the KJVO section demonstrates a wide divide on this particular subject. It's my opinion that the decline of the SBC also begins around the same time with a marked increase in textual liberalism. The moral decline to which I refer is obvious (though likely beginning in the 60's) but the timing of the release of the critical text translations is certainly interesting.

Hypocrisy can be somewhat blatant sometimes so when the typical bible thumping hypocrite comes along, one doesn't need to have the best translation to know the bible isn't making those who read it moral, virtuous, charitable, merciful, etc. They see angry self righteous indulgent creeps waving their bibles, and it's a complete turn off.

Plenty of people interpret the bible differently using the same translation.
Speaking as a seasoned soul winner using the KJV only, you are 100% wrong.

Folks draw to people with absolutes and convictions.

Complainers and critics like yourself get nothing done and only attract complainers and critics.

Speaking as a seasoned soul winner using the KJV only, you are 100% wrong.

Folks draw to people with absolutes and convictions.

Complainers and critics like yourself get nothing done and only attract complainers and critics.
Oh really? Then why is one branch of churches, in which KJVOism is a central belief, had several people in authority, including ministers, charged with and some legally convicted of various crimes?

The "great falling away" was prophesied in 2 Thess. 2:3 & has nothing to do with Bible versions. it has everything to do with the "new normal" of accepting sin, such as LBGTQ, gay marriage, gender-benders, and the old stand-by of fornication, to name a few-along with the rise of false religions, cults, & sects.

The KJVO myth has contributed some to this falling away by placing doubt upon some perfectly-legitimate English Bible translations. Remember, the KJVO myth was invented by Satan & spread by some dishonest authors' plagiarism of a cult official's book.

Yeah. That's the reason for America's moral decline. Are you for real?

That has Absolutely nothing to do with using the king James version to win souls. I can find some very bad multiversionists too. Get back on track.
Are you making the claim that people with high moral values use only the KJV? Do you have any hard data on that?

I have it on good authority that Charles Manson was a fan of the KJV.
What's your point? ;)
Chuckie had nothing compared to Joe Smith, who copied chapters from the KJV. JWs also used the KJV, before they came out with the NWT. They loved pointing out "our God and our Saviour" - "see, there's God, and then there's Saviour; obviously two different people!'

--Rich

Chuckie had nothing compared to Joe Smith, who copied chapters from the KJV. JWs also used the KJV, before they came out with the NWT. They loved pointing out "our God and our Saviour" - "see, there's God, and then there's Saviour; obviously two different people!'

--Rich
Smith was lazy. He modified Genesis 1 the most and just changed many phrases in some other passages. his "inspired" version.

But he played a role in decline.

Back