The Deity of Jesus Christ

nomrom

The Deity of Jesus Christ: Jehovah’s Witnesses obviously deny Jesus is God, but how can they do this when Scripture repeatedly describes Jesus as Divine? The totality of scripture teaches Jesus is God. Take a look at this brief summary of the Biblical evidence:

Jesus Claimed to Be God
He Prefaced His Statements as Though He Was God
He Identified Himself with God’s Own Name (“I Am”)
He Said that He and the Father Were from the Same World
He Talked as Though He Was Equal with God
He Said That He and God Were One

Jesus Demonstrated that He Had the Nature of God:
He Demonstrated Omniscience
He Demonstrated Omnipresence
He Demonstrated Omnibenevolence
He Demonstrated Omnipotence

Jesus Was Worshiped as God by Those Who Knew Him:
The wise men worshiped him from the moment He was born
The leper worshiped Him at his healing
The synagogue ruler worshiped Him
The disciples worshiped him in the boat
The Canaanite woman worshiped Him
The mother of James and John worshiped Him
The blind man worshiped Him at his healing
The women worshiped Him at the empty tomb
The disciples worshiped Him at the Ascension

Also, The New World Translation has deleted Acts 8:37 because it proves that Jesus Christ is God. Here is what the King James and New International Version says in Acts 8:37.
  • King James Bible: And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
  • New International Version: Some manuscripts include here Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” The eunuch answered, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”
After Jesus ascended, the apostles stunned both Jew and Roman by proclaiming Jesus as “Lord”. And the apostles did the unthinkable and worshipped Jesus, even praying to him as their God.

Stephen prayed, “Lord Jesus, receive my spirit” as he was being stoned to death. (Acts 7:59). The apostles, most of whom were martyred, passed on their knowledge of Jesus to the early church fathers who carried on their message into the next generation.

Ignatius Bishop of Antioch: Ignatius died about 110 A.D. He was a disciple of the Apostle John, and was appointed Bishop of Antioch by the Apostle Peter himself. He wrote about the lords 2nd coming, "Look for him that is above the times, him who has not times, him who is invisible". Only God is without time, eternal and invisible. In numerous other places in his letter to Polycarp he states "Jesus is God", "God incarnate"

Polycarp, also a pupil of the Apostle John, was tried before the Roman proconsul for worshipping Jesus as Lord. While the frenzied crowd shouted for his blood, the Roman judge demanded he proclaim Caesar as Lord. But Polycarp went to the stake, rather than renounce Jesus as his Lord

Clement of Rome in 96 A. D. also taught Jesus’ divinity, saying, “We ought to think of Jesus Christ as of God.” (2nd Epistle of Clement to the Corinthians 1:1)

Tertullian (AD 150–225): For God alone is without sin; and the only man without sin is Christ, since Christ is also God.

Justin Martyr (AD 100–165): Permit me first to recount the prophecies, which I wish to do in order to prove that Christ is called both God and Lord of hosts.

Jehovah’s Witnesses obviously deny Jesus is God, but how can they do this when Scripture repeatedly describes Jesus as Divine? The totality of scripture teaches Jesus is God. Take a look at this brief summary of the Biblical evidence:

theMadJW

Nice twists! We, instead, actually belief in Christ when he said that his Father was the ONLY true God.

imJRR

Nice twists! We, instead, actually belief in Christ when he said that his Father was the ONLY true God.

But you actually don't believe what Jesus Himself openly, clearly, directly and irrefutably told Philip in John 14:8-9; which was
that seeing Him = Seeing God Himself.

theMadJW

If you were to take one example of you "buckshot" at a time, I will GLADLY show you what Jesus sad in the context!

imJRR

When you've seen my sons, you will have seen me.

Is Jesus, then, his own Father?

The answer to your question is very easy to produce:
That's not what Jesus said, as any honest reading of the text shows.

Here is John 14:8-9 from the NWT: 8 Philip said to him: “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him: “Even after I have been with you men for such a long time, Philip, have you not come to know me? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How is it you say, ‘Show us the Father’?

Question: Who is "the Father"? What/Who is being referred to by that phrase?
Obvious Answer: God Himself. Considering the context of who and what Philip is - a Jew - There is no other possible way to understand the phrase in Philip's request.

Jesus, knowing full well who and what Philip is and exactly what he was requesting, straightforwardly tells Philip, "If you've seen Me, you've seen Him. If you've seen me, you've seen God Himself." There is no other way to take that answer.

Jesus Christ openly, clearly, directly and irrefutably declared that seeing Him = Seeing God Himself.

He told Thomas the same thing in verse 7.

JWs say that Jesus is Michael the archangel. No, that doesn't work, and it doesn't work BIG TIME. Michael's name means "Who Is Like God?" Obvious answer: NO ONE. There is NO way that Michael would have made the claim for himself that Jesus makes in verse 9. He would have been a) going directly against the meaning of his own name, and b) committing blasphemy.

theMadJW

Bwahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahhahaha!
Whatever!

Jesus isn't his own father but has said "When you've seen me you've SEEN the Father".

And, he, like the average Trinitarian Triple-Talks!

imJRR

I do accept that the deliberate falsehood before, and the mocking in the above post is the personal best that can be managed.

Yes, Jesus did indeed openly clearly, directly and irrefutably tell Philip that seeing Him = Seeing God Himself.
He said the same thing to Thomas in verse 7.

theMadJW

Thank you for putting up with me, my Triune Polytheist!
I am not mocking the PEOPLE but what they've been led to BELIEVE?
I was once a Trinitarian trying to prove the unprovable- just like YOU!

imJRR

To call trinitarians polytheists is to openly demonstrate ignorance of Trinitarianism.
It is also off-topic.
In other words - No surprise.
Actually, to go back TO the topic, I submit that it is the Watchtowerites who indicate polytheism by what they believe.
Oh, and "triune polytheist" is a contradiction in/of term.
Not much of a surprise there either.

And I'll openly submit that you type open and blatant falsehood with saying that you're not mocking people.
And I am perfectly content to let any readers or moderators decide on this.
All that needs to happen is to read the "content" of your posts.

Last edited:

imJRR

Please pay better attention. I didn't say the term "triune" was wrong. I said the term "triune polytheist" was and is wrong. It is either an open and clear demonstration of ignorance on your part or a deliberate misrepresentation of what Christians believe on your part.

And actually, by your description above of "three in one; relating to the Trinity", you just proved that I'm right. Thanks for that.

And, more to the point of the subject of the forum - It is the Watchtowerites who look, very much, to be polytheistic. I have lost count of the number of times I've heard, "Jesus is a mighty god but he's not almighty God." How many gods do you have?

Last edited:

Theo1689

You seem confused.

John 17:3 says that the Father (the one who sent Jesus) was "the only true God".
This is perfectly true, and perfectly consistent with the Trinity.

Jesus was a monotheist (as do Trinitarians).
And Jesus identified the Father as God (as do Trinitarians).

Jesus said the Father "is the only true God".
You are ASSUMING that Jesus said, "only the Father is the true God."
But Jesus didn't say that.
And the noun that "only" modifies makes a BIG difference.

Theo1689

Also, The New World Translation has deleted Acts 8:37 because it proves that Jesus Christ is God. Here is what the King James and New International Version says in Acts 8:37.
  • King James Bible: And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
  • New International Version: Some manuscripts include here Philip said, “If you believe with all your heart, you may.” The eunuch answered, “I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.”

Sorry, but this is simply not accurate.

Acts 8:37 is missing from just about every modern translation (including absent from the main text of the NIV, you are quoting a footnote above), and for good reason. It was not originally written by Luke, but was added later.

The verse is missing from p60, p66, Sinaiticus, Vaticanus, Ephraemi Rescriptus, and other manuscripts. It doesn't show up in the manuscript tradition until the 5th century.

Further, JW's would have no problem having this verse in the Bible (and hence, no reason not "remove it"), as they have no problem identifying Jesus as "the Son of God", as the phrase is used to refer to Jesus in many other passages. They would argue that "Son of God" doesn't mean He is God. They would be wrong about that, but that's what they would argue, and so have no need to "remove" a passage that merely refers to "the Son of God".

101G

To all my J.W. Friends, are you using the terms "Father", and "Son" in a biologial sense? if Not, Good, so I have One Question, in Revelation 1:1 it states, "The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:"

someone sent his "angel" to John, CORRECT. and the angel who was sent told us who sent him... correct, listen, Revelation 22:6 "And he said unto me, These sayings are faithful and true: and the Lord God of the holy prophets sent his angel to shew unto his servants the things which must shortly be done.".

now in your New World Translatation, it says, "Jehovah" sent his angel... so the Lord God of the Holy Prophets, according to your, NWT, is your JEHOVAH... correct. well if this is true, according to your OWN New World Translatation, and all other bible, they all say "JESUS" sent his angel, check the Same 22nd chapter at verse 16, Revelation 22:16 "I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, and the bright and morning star."

So, is Revelation 22:16 is correct as to who sent his angel? you may use your NWT.

looking to hear your answer.

PICJAG, 101G.