The difference between Judas and Peter

that's not really what it says there -

"When He had been baptized, Jesus came up immediately from the water; and behold, the heavens were opened to Him, and He saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and alighting upon Him. 17 And suddenly a voice came from heaven, saying, “This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.” Matt 3

the Holy Spirit works to help facilitate the work of Messiah

Sethisms.....

I suppose the Spirit of God rode Jesus's back like a horse?

So you believe Judas will return?
Possibly the spirit that possessed Judas will return. You do know every scripture that mentions Judas never says one good thing about him right ? According to Jesus Judas is lost and Peter was saved so I don’t see the point of even making Judas an issue. If God had wanted us to know more about “why”He would have inspired the writers of scripture to tell us. In the end Judas rejected the grace he was offered and served his own desires to his own destruction.

Possibly the spirit that possessed Judas will return. You do know every scripture that mentions Judas never says one good thing about him right ? According to Jesus Judas is lost and Peter was saved so I don’t see the point of even making Judas an issue. If God had wanted us to know more about “why”He would have inspired the writers of scripture to tell us. In the end Judas rejected the grace he was offered and served his own desires to his own destruction.

I'm making the point, that based on appearances, Judas and Peter looked nearly identical in their actions.

I'm making the point, that based on appearances, Judas and Peter looked nearly identical in their actions.
Jesus said Judas was lost as scripture prophesied. I don’t recall Peter stealing money from the group as Judas did nor do I see Peter selling out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.
Unchecked Copy Box
Act 1:25 - That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

Jesus said Judas was lost as scripture prophesied. I don’t recall Peter stealing money from the group as Judas did nor do I see Peter selling out Jesus for 30 pieces of silver.
Unchecked Copy Box
Act 1:25 - That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

Okay. Never said Peter did this. I did give aspect were they were similar.

Did Jesus call Peter "Satan"? Did Peter deny Jesus in front of men?

Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

I can list more. These should be enough.

Judas gave back the money and was so distraught that he killed himself. Peter went fishing.

Okay. Never said Peter did this. I did give aspect were they were similar.

Did Jesus call Peter "Satan"? Did Peter deny Jesus in front of men?

Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Mat 10:33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

I can list more. These should be enough.

Judas gave back the money and was so distraught that he killed himself. Peter went fishing.
Unchecked Copy Box
Luk 22:3 - Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve. It is obvious Peter repented and Judas didn’t.

Judas was possibly a Pharisee, maybe even Sadducee or related to
depending on what Annas/Caiaphas were

a Spy in their midst?

Last edited:

Now let’s look at these branches and just consider what this is saying. The vine is flourishing, growing luxuriantly, but some serious steps are taken by the vinedresser, the farmer. First of all, when He sees a branch that has no fruit, He takes it away, He takes it away. Down in verse 6, He throws it away, it dries up. Those branches are gathered, cast into the fire, and burned. That is drastic judgment by God on false believers, false believers. No fruit.
You say, “Does every Christian have fruit?” Yes, every Christian has fruit. That’s how you know you’re a Christian. What is fruit? Righteous attitudes, righteous longings, righteous desires, righteous affections, righteous virtues, righteous behaviors. That is the manifestation of life; and where the life of God exists, the fruit must be there.

I quoted MacArthur above to summarize his position with his own words.

In the sermon linked above, Judas is mentioned. Judas is used as an example of a branch being cast away and burned. I can't disagree. I agree.

However, the problem I have is what I've quoted above. Peter is only mentioned from an apostolic sense in this article. However, I would like to ask.

1. What is the difference between what Judas did and what Peter did? Jesus didn't "chase" Judas but Jesus certainly "chased" Peter.

As far as works are concerned. Both Peter and Judas denied Christ. Both weep after realizing their own sinful actions. Judas killed himself and Peter "left his former state" went back to his old ways.
Judas did no deny Christ. Judas betrayed Christ. He never denied knowing Christ. In fact, he betrayed Christ with a kiss. Peter denied Christ out of fear. Remember what Jesus said to Peter in Luke 22:31-32 "31 “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has [a]demanded to sift you men like wheat; 32 but I have prayed for [b]you, that [c]your faith will not fail; and [d]you, when you have [e]turned back, strengthen your brothers.”:" Jesus prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail. Jesus went for Peter and showed Peter that his faith, while it faltered, it had not failed. Peter most certainly strengthened his brothers throughout the New Testament, to include the Epistles named after him.

Peter and Judas were not the same. Not even close. Judas fell apart because he knew he had betrayed the Son of God. Peter fell apart because he believed that his denial of Christ, in fear, was final. This is a good case study on how it isn't us that keeps our salvation, but God. While Peter believed and lived as though his denial of Christ meant his salvation was lost, Jesus pursued him and told him that his salvation was not lost.

Judas did no deny Christ. Judas betrayed Christ. He never denied knowing Christ. In fact, he betrayed Christ with a kiss. Peter denied Christ out of fear. Remember what Jesus said to Peter in Luke 22:31-32 "31 “Simon, Simon, behold, Satan has [a]demanded to sift you men like wheat; 32 but I have prayed for [b]you, that [c]your faith will not fail; and [d]you, when you have [e]turned back, strengthen your brothers.”:" Jesus prayed for Peter that his faith would not fail. Jesus went for Peter and showed Peter that his faith, while it faltered, it had not failed. Peter most certainly strengthened his brothers throughout the New Testament, to include the Epistles named after him.

Peter and Judas were not the same. Not even close. Judas fell apart because he knew he had betrayed the Son of God. Peter fell apart because he believed that his denial of Christ, in fear, was final. This is a good case study on how it isn't us that keeps our salvation, but God. While Peter believed and lived as though his denial of Christ meant his salvation was lost, Jesus pursued him and told him that his salvation was not lost.
So betrayal and denial have different results.

Did Jesus say that those who denied Him before men, He would deny them before His Father.

In both cases, Jesus tells them that they basically have no choice in the matter, but with Peter, Christ points out this fact while letting Judas torment himself to death.

There are quite a few scholars and theologians who have noted that when Jesus tells his disciples that one of them must betray him, they all start looking at each other to try and figure out who it's going to be. Who is going to step up for this task that has to occur in order for the messiah to be glorified?

Israel has rejected their own messiah. There is no other option left. Someone has to betray him. Sadly, too many people miss out on the fact that Judas is a literary device. He personifies the Jewish kingdom that has betrayed their messiah. It is no coincidence that Judas Iscariot sounds just like Judah Sicariot which means "Jewish assassin". It's a word play.

Back