The Eucharist

mica

mica said:
yes, believers do, as long as it is scriptural. that's not something catholics can say.

So do you think that you have the authority to declare that the bread and wine are not the body and blood of Christ?
yes. it isn't actually. it represents it. that's it. It's something catholics don't understand because they believe what the RCC has taught them for years and years, made up by men. It's a lie.

ziapueblo

From what I understand, Orthodox people do not read the Bible for themselves.
Lol! We read our Bibles, both for our own study and during the Liturgy. Do all Orthodox Christians have a solid Scriptural devotion? Probably not all, maybe even not most, and that is a shame. Do all non-Orthodox Christians read their Bibles daily? I would assume many do, but not all. As far as reading the "Bible for themselves," we Orthodox read the Sacred Text within the Tradition of the Early Fathers, Councils and the Liturgical life of the Church.

You get salvation completely wrong.
What is your quarrel with the Orthodox view of salvation?

Beloved Daughter

Lol! We read our Bibles, both for our own study and during the Liturgy. Do all Orthodox Christians have a solid Scriptural devotion? Probably not all, maybe even not most, and that is a shame. Do all non-Orthodox Christians read their Bibles daily? I would assume many do, but not all. As far as reading the "Bible for themselves," we Orthodox read the Sacred Text within the Tradition of the Early Fathers, Councils and the Liturgical life of the Church.

What is your quarrel with the Orthodox view of salvation?

Salvation is provided by the Savior. No works are required. PERIOD.

ziapueblo

Salvation is provided by the Savior. No works are required. PERIOD.
You are correct, there is nothing we can do on our own to enter Heaven. However, after baptism, being born again, being "in Christ", we are called to follow our faith and put it into action - feeding the hungry, ministering to others, etc. Both are essential. We read in the epistle of St. James that "faith without works is dead." As a matter of fact, the only place in the Sacred Text that we see the work faith and alone together, the words "not by" are in front of them. We find that in James 2:24, "You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone." But I'm sure you already know this.

One can indeed “believe” in Christ and yet lead a life that betrays that belief. Hence belief alone is not sufficient. “Not all who say ‘Lord, Lord’ will have a place in my Kingdom.”

It is important to recognize that when the Apostle Paul writes of "works," he is speaking about performing religious rituals prescribed by the Torah, Hebrew law. Understanding Colossians, Galatians, Romans one must read these epistles in the greater contexts of St. Pauls missionary journey, Acts 15.