The False Claims of Constantine Simonides Regarding Sinaiticus

It's also incredibly convenient that nobody can go check out the story of a guy who lied about everyone else, too.

It's like when Ollie North and John Poindexter decided to go with "CIA Director Bill Casey told me to do it".....after Casey conveniently died.

He tried to poison his parents, according to Harris A. Caligra, and he incited a mob hoping to have some missionaries killed in Greece as well, according to McGrane.

Yup. Oozing with integrity and trustworthiness...according to the story Steven spins (at least that's what he want's you to believe).

He tried to poison his parents, according to Harris A. Caligra, and he incited a mob hoping to have some missionaries killed in Greece as well, according to McGrane.

Yup. Oozing with integrity and trustworthiness...according to the story Steven spins (at least that's what he want's you to believe).

He was just a nice guy, so misunderstood.

He was gonna be like that Oswald boy down the street - go make a name for himself.

He was just a nice guy, so misunderstood.

He was gonna be like that Oswald boy down the street - go make a name for himself.

What was the reason for Simonides leaving the island of Symi (near Rhodes) around 1840 in the published Simonides biography by something or rather (can't remember off hand)?

Calligra says (according to some "new material" that's come to light) he had to leave the island of Symi because of trying to poison his parents.

he incited a mob hoping to have some missionaries killed in Greece as well, according to McGrane.

The Jonas King (1792-1869) affair in 1847 is quite well known, and there are 1847 accounts in the Panopolist, or Missionary Herald. McGrane helps in showing that the Greek Orthodox hostility to King goes back some years earlier, to Georgios D. Rodokanakis, at least as early as 1843.

Calligra says (according to some "new material" that's come to light) he had to leave the island of Symi because of trying to poison his parents.

The information from Haris Kalligas is not always received as accurate, you pointed out Luciana Canfora earlier. Note though that she adds "apparently" to the poison account. I do not think she was at the 2014 conference on Simonides.

The information from Haris Kalligas is not always received as accurate, you pointed out Luciana Canfora earlier. Note though that she adds "apparently" to the poison account. I do not think she was at the 2014 conference on Simonides.

How do you know what she said about Simonides personal history is not accurate?

Have you had personal first hand access to, and analysed thoroughly all the "new material" that Kalligas has found?

Have you been to Greece to check in person?

The Jonas King (1792-1869) affair in 1847 is quite well known, and there are 1847 accounts in the Panopolist, or Missionary Herald. McGrane helps in showing that the Greek Orthodox hostility to King goes back some years earlier, to Georgios D. Rodokanakis, at least as early as 1843.

Interesting how you try to sanitize all this.

No. I was just learning the truth about Sinaiticus, and learned about the Conference after the fact. Made one especially good contact. Including speaking about Kalligas. Remember, her main possible revelation in “apparently.” And very little to do with Sinaiticus.

Apparently what?

Apparently you don't know anything about the "new material". Because, apparently, you haven't been to Greece, or spoken with Kalligas either, apparently!

Apparently what?
Apparently you don't know anything about the "new material". Because, apparently, you haven't been to Greece, or spoken with Kalligas either, apparently!

“Apparently” was from Haris Kalligas. Meaning it may not be a fact. You craftily omitted the word.
You can ask her.

Are you still trolling because I am not trying to do a floor plan survey of inactive Athos monasteries 180 years ago?

“Apparently” was from Haris Kalligas. Meaning it may not be a fact. You craftily omitted the word.
You can ask her.

Are you still trolling because I am not trying to do a floor plan survey of inactive Athos monasteries 180 years ago?

I will, when I get a contact email, and I'll tell her what you've been saying about her "apparently". ;):) I'm sure, your "apparent" misunderstanding, will receive an interesting reaction.

Hmmm.

Person who lives where Simonides grew up, speaks the same language, has access to documents (you couldn't read) from Simonides parents, thoroughly familiar with real documents written by the hand of Simonides himself in the Gennadias library, has other "new material" (which you have no clue what they're about) ... ~~~ vs ~~~ ... ah hum... someone from Queens, who can't read Greek, and is subject to conspiratistic thinking... moon landings... atomic bombs... etc etc

Hmmm

I think I'll go with Mrs Kalligas.

She'll be very interested about your theories of Tishcnedorf co-conspirator with Simonides (money exchange in the back ally's) in inventing the Codex Tisho-Bene-Kallinki-Simo-naiticus theories.

Interesting link.

(Emphasis added)

1853 handelte er in England mit echten und gefälschten Manuskripten und gelangte 1855 nach Leipzig. Dort suchte er eine angebliche ägyptische Königsgeschichte des Uranios zu verkaufen, die von Lykourgos und Konstantin von Tischendorf als Fälschung identifiziert wurde.[1] Er kam dafür ins Gefängnis. Einige Jahre später wollte sich Simonides an Tischendorf rächen und behauptete, er habe den Codex Sinaiticus (diese griechische Bibelhandschrift stammt aus dem 4. Jh. n. Chr., ist die älteste komplett erhaltene Handschrift des Neuen Testaments und wurde 1844 und 1859 von Tischendorf im St. Katharinenkloster auf dem Sinai entdeckt) auf dem Athos selber angefertigt. Englische Zeitungen griffen diese Beschuldigungen unkritisch auf. Konstantin von Tischendorf widerlegte diese wahnwitzigen Behauptungen in seinen beiden Schriften Die Anfechtungen der Sinai-Bibel und Waffen der Finsternis wider die Sinaibibel (beide erschienen 1863 in Leipzig). Später flüchtete Simonides nach Ägypten.
[1.] Alexander Lykurgos: Enthüllungen über den Simonides-Dindorfschen Uranios. Fritzsche, Leipzig 1856. (online)

Google Translate from German (Emphasis added)

There he tried to sell an alleged Egyptian royal history of Uranios, which Lykourgos and Konstantin von Tischendorf identified as a forgery.[1] He went to prison for it. A few years later, Simonides wanted revenge on Tischendorf and claimed that he had the Codex Sinaiticus (this Greek Bible manuscript dates from the 4th century AD,Athos made himself. English newspapers took up these allegations uncritically. Konstantin von Tischendorf refuted these insane claims in his two writings Anfechtungen der Sinai-Bibel and Waffen der Dunkelns gegen die Sinai-Bible (both published in Leipzig in 1863). Simonides later fled to Egypt.
[1] Alexander Lykurgos: Revelations about the Simonides-Dindorfsche Uranios. Fritzsche, Leipzig 1856. (online)

https://www.hellenicaworld.com/Greece/Person/de/KonstantinosSimonides.html

The Book on Google, in which, "apparently" Tischendorf was instrumental in exposing Simonides forgery of Uranios:

Alexander Lykurgos: Enthüllungen über den Simonides-Dindorfschen Uranios. Fritzsche, Leipzig 1856.
Alexander Lykurgos: Revelations about the Simonides-Dindorfsche Uranios. Fritzsche, Leipzig 1856.
https://books.google.co.nz/books?id...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

Does anyone read German?
Would be interesting to see what Tischendorf wrote about Simonides in the book above. It's not ridiculously long, if that helps.

Here are the names of two German books by Tischendorf never translated, I think one has a Simonides section.

==========

Die Anfechtungen der Sinai-Bibel (1863)

Waffen der Finsterniss wider die Sinaibibel (1863)

==========

These two books help give you a sense of how wacky and unbalanced was Tischendorf, starting with the titles.

Back