The False Claims of Constantine Simonides Regarding Sinaiticus

Wait a minute.

I just remembered.

Apparently he was engaged to be married to some woman in England (around, near or even after one of his fake deaths), but ditched her, and moved on.

It's in that PDF about his forgeries/progress in England on Academia.com, right near the end of the paper.

But how truthful is this? Was it just rumors? Gossip? Media hype and hearsay?

Last edited:
Interesting comment (you've probably already got it) in The Journal of The Royal Society of Biblical Literature 1863, Vol III at p.242 respecting its Jan 7. meeting leading to the exposure of Simonides:

"Mr. W. A. Wright read a paper on the Codex Sinaiticus, in which he recapitulated the chief points in its known history, and of the statements of Mr. Simonides on the subject. He drew attention to the letters professing to be from Hieromonachus Kallinikos, which have appeared in the Guardian newspaper, and the originals of some of which were produced. They appeared to be in a handwriting identical with that of Mr. Simonides, and "the paper of exactly the same kind as some letters of that gentleman."

Yep.

There's examples of his annnddddd (supposedly) Kallinikos's handwriting online right now (wink wink 😉👍)

Interesting comment (you've probably already got it) in The Journal of The Royal Society of Biblical Literature 1863, Vol III at p.242 respecting its Jan 7. meeting leading to the exposure of Simonides:

"Mr. W. A. Wright read a paper on the Codex Sinaiticus, in which he recapitulated the chief points in its known history, and of the statements of Mr. Simonides on the subject. He drew attention to the letters professing to be from Hieromonachus Kallinikos, which have appeared in the Guardian newspaper, and the originals of some of which were produced. They appeared to be in a handwriting identical with that of Mr. Simonides, and "the paper of exactly the same kind as some letters of that gentleman."

So.

• He had some of the original letters in the very hand of Simonides (not just translations)
  • He had some of the original letters from the very hand of the alleged Kallinikos (not just translations)
  • There was identical handwriting (note, not just the same, but "identical") in the letters from the allegedly two different writers
  • Exactly the same kind of paper was used for both letters from the two allegedly different writers
  • Demonstrated in the presence of multiple witnesses

Hmmmm.

Yet!

No red flags 🚩🚩🚩🚩 are going up for Mr Avery.

And no alarm bells 🚨🔔🔔🔔🔔🚨 are ringing for Mr Avery either.

Hmmmm. Funny that!

It's highly likely that this (alleged relationship) with a woman in England, was just another example of Simonides using someone for money and free accommodation (freeloading). He likely lead this possibly ugly and possibly desperate, yet probably rich woman, on. Playing on her loneliness with his sleezy charms. In other words, a sham and for show.

It's highly likely that this (alleged relationship) with a woman in England, was just another example of Simonides using someone for money and free accommodation (freeloading). He likely lead this possibly ugly and possibly desperate, yet probably rich woman, on. Playing on her loneliness with his sleezy charms. In other words, a sham and for show.
I wonder why his engagement failed. May be because he had no money and no prospects. Looks like that was the reason he left England. No further info from Pinto:

"The last dated document from England is a letter from Liverpool of March 31, 1865, in which he wrote about his plans to marry an English woman, named Miss Morland." Simonides in England," p.123 A Forger’s Progress/Pasquale Massimo Pinto in Die getäuschte Wissenschaft
Ein Genie betrügt Europa – Konstantinos Simonides (2017) Andreas E. Müller / Lilia Diamantopoulou / Christian Gastgeber / Athanasia Katsiakiori-
Rankl (Hg.)

Also from Pinto:

[The reconstruction of Simonides’ years in Victorian England relies first of all
on a number of unpublished manuscript documents, the most important of
which are the letters to, from and about Simonides included in the manuscript
Additional 42502AB of the British Library and originally from the personal
archive of John Eliot Hodgkin, probably Simonides’ chief patron in England. The
papers of the book-collector Thomas Phillipps and the librarian Frederick
Madden that are in the British Library and the Bodleian Library of Oxford, also
deserve to be mentioned. Next is the information that can be collected from what
Simonides himself wrote both in the prefaces of the works published in England,
such as the Facsimiles of certain Portions of the Gospel of St. Matthew etc. (1861)
or The Periplus of Hannon (1864), and in newspapers. Finally, at least three
scholarly contributions must be taken into consideration: a chapter included by
the amateur historian James Anson Farrer in his 1907 book on Literary Forgeries,
based on the papers of Hodgkin; the substantial chapter devoted to Simonides by
the book scholar Alan N.L. Munby in his stunning work on Thomas Phillipps,
published in the 1950s (the “Phillipps Studies”); and the book about the Codex
Sinaiticus and the Simonides affair written by the New Testament scholar James
K. Elliott in 1982]

[On his (first) arrival (in England) he was undoubtedly welcomed by the long-established Greek
merchant communities of Liverpool and Manchester, from whom he first re-
ceived material help and practical support, as he later acknowledged in his Fac-
similes: ‘my compatriots, the Greek residents in Liverpool and Manchester, to
whom I return my sincere thanks for their friendly sentiments and their many
kindnesses’. A few names stand out here and there in the pages of his works:
Stamatis Frangopoulos, Constantinos Pappas, and above all Demetrios Rho-
dokanakis.]

Last edited:
I wonder why his engagement failed. May be because he had no money and no prospects. Looks like that was the reason he left England. No further info from Pinto:

"The last dated document from England is a letter from Liverpool of March 31, 1865, in which he wrote about his plans to marry an English woman, named Miss Morland." Simonides in England," p.123 A Forger’s Progress/Pasquale Massimo Pinto in Die getäuschte Wissenschaft
Ein Genie betrügt Europa – Konstantinos Simonides (2017) Andreas E. Müller / Lilia Diamantopoulou / Christian Gastgeber / Athanasia Katsiakiori-
Rankl (Hg.)

Also from Pinto:

[The reconstruction of Simonides’ years in Victorian England relies first of all
on a number of unpublished manuscript documents, the most important of
which are the letters to, from and about Simonides included in the manuscript
Additional 42502AB of the British Library and originally from the personal
archive of John Eliot Hodgkin, probably Simonides’ chief patron in England. The
papers of the book-collector Thomas Phillipps and the librarian Frederick
Madden that are in the British Library and the Bodleian Library of Oxford, also
deserve to be mentioned. Next is the information that can be collected from what
Simonides himself wrote both in the prefaces of the works published in England,
such as the Facsimiles of certain Portions of the Gospel of St. Matthew etc. (1861)
or The Periplus of Hannon (1864), and in newspapers. Finally, at least three
scholarly contributions must be taken into consideration: a chapter included by
the amateur historian James Anson Farrer in his 1907 book on Literary Forgeries,
based on the papers of Hodgkin; the substantial chapter devoted to Simonides by
the book scholar Alan N.L. Munby in his stunning work on Thomas Phillipps,
published in the 1950s (the “Phillipps Studies”); and the book about the Codex
Sinaiticus and the Simonides affair written by the New Testament scholar James
K. Elliott in 1982]

[On his (first) arrival (in England) he was undoubtedly welcomed by the long-established Greek
merchant communities of Liverpool and Manchester, from whom he first re-
ceived material help and practical support, as he later acknowledged in his Fac-
similes: ‘my compatriots, the Greek residents in Liverpool and Manchester, to
whom I return my sincere thanks for their friendly sentiments and their many
kindnesses’. A few names stand out here and there in the pages of his works:
Stamatis Frangopoulos, Constantinos Pappas, and above all Demetrios Rho-
dokanakis.]

Yep.

There's some valuable material on Simonides in the British Library etc, for sure.

I'd love to get my hands on it, even just digital images.

I'm sure real Simonides scholars, like Malcolm Choat and Tommy Wasserman and Yuen-Collingridge have been able to access these documents though.

Do you have any links or references to any old articles by Mordtmann? He was based in Constantinople while Simonides was up to his tricks. I'd definitely be interested in these.

Andreas David Mordtmann (Allgemeine Zeitung, Augsburg, 28 November 1853, col. 5307). Which article can be found here (see scan pp. 952 & 953 on the left hand boxes).
[...]
"Several years ago he suddenly appeared in Athens and offered a multitude of the rarest manuscripts of works that have been entirely lost, as well as of the most important classics still extant, all manuscripts very old. He related that his uncle had found her in a monastery on Mount Athos, and he had secretly taken her away, but only in part; he acted very secretive and suspicious , and always spoke of enemies and spies . The Greek government appointed a commission to examine his manuscripts; he presented an ancient Homer , if I am not mistaken , with Euftathius ' complete commentary . The commission spoke favorably about it; only one member disagreed, and pressed for a new investigation. It turned out to be nothing more and nothing less than a verbatim copy of the edition of Wolf , even with the typographical errors , and Simonides was unmasked in Athens. By now he had published a history of the School of Syme which was a sham from start to finish. the 4th sc . In 1851 Simonides came to Constantinople, where he worked with the Minister-Refident of Sardinia, Mr. Baron Tecco , recording found . Here in Constantinople , the lodgings of adventurers of every kind , he came up with grander things ; first he wanted to be in possession of a complete Sanchuniathon which he intends to publish. I received this message from a friend (until then I had heard nothing from Simonidesheard ) , and , I confess , this news made the most unfavorable impression on me , a North German , who at that time experienced the whole history of the Sandhuniathon - Wagenfeld in my homeland , which I did not hide at all . Whether my doubts were communicated to him remains unknown to me; but later there was no more talk of the Sanchuniathon."

If (note if) this is written in 1853, then "several years ago" goes to the approx the mid to late 1840's.

One thing I do know for certain, is that Simonides was convicted and imprisoned for a considerable amount of time, in Greece, starting 1847.

Then, above, we have him going to Constantinople in 1851.

Then in 1853, we find Simonides writing to Lycurgus in a letter making disingenuous apologies for the trouble he caused in Constantinople.

[cont.]
Sandhuniathon , the hieroglyphs , cuneiform writing and phoeniciſches were thus put aside , and another stüd was played . woll .claimed to have a history of Armenia written in Greek and offered it to some Armenian primates. These , who do a great deal for the promotion of Armenian literature , let loose , and at the end arranged a subscription . They wanted to buy his manuscript from him and the original with an Armenian translation. First he was supposed to give a rehearsal. He gave the preface and several small epitaphs of Armenian generals. The former proved nothing , and the names of the generals weren't even Armenian . Urged to show his manuscript , he made excuses ; Finally he was asked the price, he demanded a million piafters, and with that all further negotiations were cut off. The Armenian story was put aside, and now Simonides caughta different key. He claimed to be in Constantinople in possession of a manuscript of the period of French-Venetian rule; in this manuscript a monk gave news that the Comnenes had buried various precious manuscripts on various lands on the Bosphorus to hide them from the Latins ; the Derter were specified with their external racing marks. Thus there is a manuscript in a monastery on the Brinzian Islands which contains the acts of the first apostolic council of Antioch. Simonidesdemanded permission from the gate and from the patriarch to dig there. The Patriarch (Anthi mos) first asked for the details of the island and the monastery, of which there are quite a number. But he did not want to get involved in this , and so the patriarch refused permission . In order to take revenge on the patriarch, he now had it circulated here that he, like the Caliph Omar, had spoken as follows: “The acts of the Council of Antioch would be superfluous; they either confirm the canons of the Greek Church or contradict them ; in both cases it would be useless to dig. "Soon after, Simonides visitedthe Minister of Public Works and Commerce Ismail Pasha ( now governor of Smyrna ) , a Greek by birth , at his summer camp at Bebek on the Bosphorus . The Pasha had not yet left his harem, and Simonidesso had to wait. To while away the time, he went for a walk in the garden and afterwards told that he had discovered a long-sought-after spot in the garden in an Ede, where, according to the manuscript, there was a map of the Brinzen Islands and a poem by Ariftoteles in Greek , but with Karis characters , had been buried . So the Pascha ordered the excavation, whereby the above-mentioned Hr. Cayol was present. After a while both studies were found in a kind of capsule which looked quite old, and the manuscripts on parchment were in pretty good condition. Mr . Cayol published an article about it in the Journal de Conftantinople, but without finding the enthusiasm among the literary public that he had hoped for as a bona fide witness. | So it was important to try to wake up again. Jbra him Basha, one of the first scholars of this capital, had the ground excavated on his property near the hippodrome (Atmeidan) for the purpose of a new building.Simonides was referred to Mr. Cayol's initiative and asked if the manuscript had anything to say about this locality. After a quick glance he replied: yes, there must be a manuscript in Arabic with old Syrian letters. So there is digging , in the presence of the Pasha , the HH . Cayol and Simoni des , without the letteren being allowed to descend . After two hours of fruitless work, there is a break and a little breakfast, after which work begins again. After some groundbreaking, Simonides callspleased : " There it is , fetch it up . "A kind of capsule is taken out and brought to the Pasha; the workers laugh. Ibrahim Pasha examines the capsule and is not a little surprised that the soil sticking to it is of a completely different nature than the soil dug out. The workers explain during breakfast "Say Simonides ran out, jumped into the pit and dug something there. These two facts could not be denied, and the Pascha asked the shepherd to justify himself within eight days. But Simonides was no further to be seen, and he was unmasked here Soon after, word spread here , Simonidestraveled to England where he hoped to find better ground for his industry. From the foregoing facts, then, it appears that Simonides is one of the greatest swindlers, against whom one could not sufficiently warn; it can here be proved to the utmost evidence that his Sanchuniathon , his Armenian history , his Symais , fart everything he pretends to conquer is his own power value from beginning to end , ie the most shameless fraud . The documents for this can be produced here at any time on Berlangen and will be published in full in the near future. J. But Simonides has another connectiona most dangerous man , and all who are entrusted with the care of literary rarities must be made aware of him . Simonides had obtained permission to use all the manuscripts on Mount Athos while he was here , and having traveled thither provided with this permission . This was well known here , when the heads of the monasteries on Mount Athos were at once informed of it ; it was high time , for a passage falsified by Simonides was found in a manuscript which he had already had in hand . Permission was, of course, immediately confiscated, and he had to leave Mount Athos. It is therefore urgently advisable to Simonidesunder no condition to entrust a manuscript , rendering it worthless to all the five . Since SimonidesHaving thrown himself exclusively into this subject , he is well acquainted with all chemical and mechanical means of erasing writing , and possesses , moreover , a marvelous gift of deceptively imitating all sorts of typefaces , even as far as the ink is concerned ; moreover he is a lithographer . dr AD Morbtmann

This can be compared with:

Max Müller

The Athenaeum.
no.1758-1783 (1861).
London, Saturday, December 7, 1861
No. 1780, Pages 755-756
[Digital viewer: 768/912]
Subheading: Literature

https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=umn.31951001922964u&view=1up&seq=767

Has anybody noted the direct implications of this statement?

The First Letter
By Constantine Simonides
September 3, 1862:
The Guardian
Subheading: "The Sinai MS of the Greek Bible."

"This together with - THE REMAINS OF - the seven apostolic fathers – Barnabas, HERMAS, Clement Bishop of Rome, Ignatius, Polycarp, Papias, and Dionysius the Areopagite..."​

Anybody catch that?

He was saying he only had the "REMAINS OF" ... Hermas...

I would, on the other hand, assume that, because he listed the names of all the Apostolic Fathers, his "remains" consisted of their complete text.

Of interest to no one, I have deliberately thrown away all the articles I downloaded on the antiquity of the Sinaiticus, and I will keep my participation as close to zero as I can, until we cease spending bandwidth and boring/antagonizing members with this Simonides nonsense (likewise for the Comma).

I would, on the other hand, assume that, because he listed the names of all the Apostolic Fathers, his "remains" consisted of their complete text.

Of interest to no one, I have deliberately thrown away all the articles I downloaded on the antiquity of the Sinaiticus, and I will keep my participation as close to zero as I can, until we cease spending bandwidth and boring/antagonizing members with this Simonides nonsense (likewise for the Comma).
How about Byzantine Text verses Textus Receptus? Or Textus Receptus, Nestle/Aland verses Byzantine Text? Or Nestle/Aland, Byzantine Text verses Textus Receptus, Westcott/Hort?

Interesting quote:

Codex Sinaiticus and the Simonides Affair
An Examination of the Nineteenth Century Claim that Codex Sinaiticus was Not an Ancient Manuscript
By James Keith Elliott, 1982
Page 33

"...Simonides certainly took good care, during his long stay at Leipsic, not to say that he was the writer of this much prized treasure
of the University library, where he was a constant visitor, since, in that case, a place would
doubtless soon have been found for him in a lunatic asylum..."

Obviously, studying the Sinaiticus.

Last edited:
They don't lock lunatics up any more: at one point in the 1950s, more than half a million Americans were confined to state psychiatric institutions, many of them for life. Today, the total number of state psychiatric beds in the U.S. sits around 37,000, with most beds on short-term, acute inpatient units in general medical hospitals.

I am quite sure that Simonides was deranged, in any event. Here are the opening lines of his diatribe against Tischendorf in Memnon:

Κωνσταντῖνος ὁ Τισσενδόρφιος, ὁ ὁμώνυμος ἑμαυτῷ, ὁ τῶν Ἀποκρύφων (all secrets), κλεινότατος ἐκδότης, οὐκ οἶδα τὶ παθὼν, ἢ τὶ μαθὼν ἀνδρὶ διαβόλῳ, οἵῳ τῷ ψευδωνύμῳ (α) Λυκούργῳ ᾠκειώθη καὶ ἐπίστευσε, καὶ οὕτως ἑκὼν ἀέχων εἰς τὴν τοῦ Αὐγείου κόπρον φεῦ ! ἐμπέπτωκεν ὁ Κομπᾶς οὗτος Μάξιμος (β), ὁ ἀντὶ στύλου καὶ ἐρείσματος τῆς ἐν Λειψίᾳ κλεινοτάτης ̓Ακαδημίας, ὕβρις καὶ σκύβαλον γιγνόμενος. Ἤδη οὖν οὐδὲ Ἡράκλειος δύναμις ῥύσασθαι αὐτὸν κατισχύσει, οὐδὲ ποταμοὶ ὅλοι ἐξαρκέσουσιν εἰ μή τις δύναμις τῆς τοῦ Ἡρακλέους ἰσχυροτέρα δυνήσεται σῶσαι αὐτὸν καθαρίσαι τοῦ ῥύπου τῆς κόπρου , εἰς ἣν ὁ γεννάδας οὗτος ἐμπεσὼν ὁδηγίᾳ τοῦ ἐκ Σάμου Ἰούδα , ἐβαπτίσθη ὅλως ἐν αὐτῇ ἐν ὀνόματι τοῦ Αὐγείου, καὶ ὥς περ χιτῶνα ὁ ὀρθόδοξος οὗτος σοφός !!! ἐνεδύθη τὸν ῥύπον αὐτοῦ. „Ἐλπὶς γὰρ κακοῦ κέρδεος ἀρχὴ ζημίης.‟ καὶ ἤδη ἐν τῷ μέσῳ τῆς εὐόσμου ὄνθου καθήμενος, ὡς ἐπὶ θρόνου ὑψηλοῦ καὶ ἐπηρμένου, ὅλας ἁμάξας βλασφημιῶν κατασκεδάζει τῆς ̓Αληθείας καὶ ἡμῶν. Ἀλλ' ἔστι δίκης ὀφθαλμὸς, ὃς τὰ πανθ' ὁρᾶ.

NB: the quotation „Ἐλπὶς γὰρ κακοῦ κέρδεος ἀρχὴ ζημίης.‟ commonly found as "ἐλπὶς κακοῦ κέρδους ἀρχὴ ζημίας" = "Hope of a bad profit the beginning of loss."

Google Translate

Constantinos Tissendorfius, the homonym himself, the Apocrypha (all secrets), secret publisher, I did not see what he suffered, or what he learned, a man of the devil, who obeyed and believed the pseudonym (a) Lycurgus, and thus became a member of the Aegian's dung Come on! This Maximus (b), who was against the pillar and support of the cloistered Academy in Leipsi, became a disgrace and a dog. Therefore, not even the strength of Heracleus can overcome him, nor can all the rivers be sufficient, unless the strength of the stronger Heracleus is able to save him, cleanse him from the filth of the dung, into which this brave man entered by the guidance of Judas of Samos, he was baptized in all the glory. , and this sage is orthodox like a cloak!!! He put his shame in it. "For the hope of evil is the beginning of loss." And already in the midst of the fragrant being sitting, as if on a high and lofty throne, all the chariots of blasphemies he builds for the Truth and us. But he is the eye of judgment, which sees all things.

NB: the quotation "Hope of a bad profit the beginning of loss." commonly found as "Hope of a bad profit the beginning of loss."

I am quite sure that Simonides was deranged, in any event. Here are the opening lines of his diatribe against Tischendorf in Memnon:

There's some pretty weird stuff that went down between him and his brother's over his father's will, involving his favorite grandstand ye ole burried documents and map trick, in which, somehow a human skull was involved, and got dug up with a cryptic message etc...

He also claimed to have found ancient texts written on human skin, but not just that, specifically female human skin...

Creepy...

Where'd he get the human skin from?

Robbing graves?

Murder?

Not to mention his unsuccessful attempt at murdering his parents...at age 12...

Last edited:
Google Translate

Constantinos Tissendorfius, the homonym himself, the Apocrypha (all secrets), secret publisher, I did not see what he suffered, or what he learned, a man of the devil, who obeyed and believed the pseudonym (a) Lycurgus, and thus became a member of the Aegian's dung Come on! This Maximus (b), who was against the pillar and support of the cloistered Academy in Leipsi, became a disgrace and a dog. Therefore, not even the strength of Heracleus can overcome him, nor can all the rivers be sufficient, unless the strength of the stronger Heracleus is able to save him, cleanse him from the filth of the dung, into which this brave man entered by the guidance of Judas of Samos, he was baptized in all the glory. , and this sage is orthodox like a cloak!!! He put his shame in it. "For the hope of evil is the beginning of loss." And already in the midst of the fragrant being sitting, as if on a high and lofty throne, all the chariots of blasphemies he builds for the Truth and us. But he is the eye of judgment, which sees all things.

NB: the quotation "Hope of a bad profit the beginning of loss." commonly found as "Hope of a bad profit the beginning of loss."

There's some pretty OTT stuff written here...

Rules regarding links:

Linking is permitted only as a reference or to quotes in your discussions as a reference, name author, or website for quotes only rather than links is recommended.
Users who answer threads only with links or abusing links to more than two in a thread discussion will be considered spamming. (Only two per thread topic permitted or software blocks the post, same with verses, will be blocked so a link to Bible website only once or twice in a post, then simply name verse reference) Moderators will delete links and offer infractions to those abusing link rules. May use links to websites recommended by CARM. The rule does not apply to CARM Links: Users may post an unlimited number of links to CARM papers or CARM forum posts for reference note too many links forum software may block the post. Super Members should see rules concerning signatures link.

Posts titles and thread subjects are not to be just links, post comments as well.

Post titles or the original post in a thread are not links that are an advertisement or promotion of a website unrelated to the topic. The forums are for discussion, not as a referral service to papers from other websites. (Only two per thread topic permitted, or software blocks the post if more than two links per post)

Youtube links (two per thread) are now permitted if they are topic-appropriate. No “anti-christian” videos, no direct links to youtube with

A Forger’s Progress/Pasquale Massimo Pinto in Die getäuschte Wissenschaft Ein Genie betrügt Europa – Konstantinos Simonides (2017) Andreas E. Müller / Lilia Diamantopoulou / Christian Gastgeber / Athanasia Katsiakiori- Rankl (Hg.)

[The reconstruction of Simonides’ years in Victorian England relies first of all on a number of unpublished manuscript documents, the most important of
which are the letters to, from and about Simonides included in the manuscript Additional 42502AB of the British Library and originally from the personal
archive of John Eliot Hodgkin, probably Simonides’ chief patron in England.

[On his (first) arrival (in England) he was undoubtedly welcomed by the long-established Greek merchant communities of Liverpool and Manchester, ’. A few names stand out here and there in the pages of his works: ... Stamatis Frangopoulos, Constantinos Pappas, and above all Demetrios Rhodokanakis.]

42502 and 42502AB is referenced on p. 110, 116, 117, 120, 122, 123 and 250 (Canfora).

The Hodgkin contact and material was very helpful to James Anson Farrer in his superb Literary Forgeries article.

It would be nice to see this material fully published.

42502 and 42502AB is referenced on p. 110, 116, 117, 120, 122, 123 and 250 (Canfora).

The Hodgkin contact and material was very helpful to James Anson Farrer in his superb Literary Forgeries article.

It would be nice to see this material fully published.

James Farrer told us Simonides was both a forger (that’s why he was in a book on forgeries) and liar.

And he’s irrelevant anyway as his work is 115 years out of date and more so with each passing day.

James Farrer told us Simonides was both a forger (that’s why he was in a book on forgeries) and liar.
And he’s irrelevant anyway as his work is 115 years out of date and more so with each passing day.

Feb, 2018

dear Mr Avery
Former colleagues passed on to me your query. (I seem not to have heard from you in 2016).
No, I did not know of Farrer's book. I see the reference to it in Metzger's autobiography. It does not seem that Bart Ehrman in his recent book on forgery/ pseudonymity or David Parker's book on Sinaiticus were aware of him either. (Parker does include a reference to my 1982 study.)
I have not written again on this matter although I am obviously interested in the subject and comparable forgeries. My main interests have always been in textual criticism and the apocryphal NT.
I wish you well in your own researches and look forward to things you produce.
With best wishes
Sincerely
Keith Elliott
J. K. Elliott
Emeritus Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism
The University of Leeds

Feb, 2018

dear Mr Avery
Former colleagues passed on to me your query. (I seem not to have heard from you in 2016).
No, I did not know of Farrer's book. I see the reference to it in Metzger's autobiography. It does not seem that Bart Ehrman in his recent book on forgery/ pseudonymity or David Parker's book on Sinaiticus were aware of him either. (Parker does include a reference to my 1982 study.)
I have not written again on this matter although I am obviously interested in the subject and comparable forgeries. My main interests have always been in textual criticism and the apocryphal NT.
I wish you well in your own researches and look forward to things you produce.
With best wishes
Sincerely
Keith Elliott
J. K. Elliott
Emeritus Professor of New Testament Textual Criticism
The University of Leeds
Farrer's book would have been of little interest to Elliott who was engaged with verifiable primary and secondary sources.

Back