The first resurrection

cawalls

Revelation 20:4-5, I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and the authority to judge was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness of Jesus and for the word of God. They had not worshipped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection.

These scriptures clearly show that those in the first resurrection go through the great tribulation. What kind of resurrection can be before the first resurrection? Is the Pre-trib resurrection a kind of prequel?

Timtofly

Revelation 20:4-5, I saw thrones, and they sat on them, and the authority to judge was given to them. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their witness of Jesus and for the word of God. They had not worshipped the beast or his image, and had not received his mark on their foreheads or on their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years. 5 The rest of the dead did not not come to life until the thousand years were ended. This is the first resurrection.

These scriptures clearly show that those in the first resurrection go through the great tribulation. What kind of resurrection can be before the first resurrection? Is the Pre-trib resurrection a kind of prequel?
They came out of the tribulation. They did not make it all the way through.

The first resurrection is a type not a when. It just happens to come first.

There are two births. Physical is the first, spiritual is the second. One can not be born spiritual first. One has to be physically born first. The same applies to a resurrection. The first resurrection is of the body, physical, incorruptible. The second resurrection would be spiritual, glorification. The second death is spiritual eternal death. Those in Revelation 20:4 are bodily resurrected after the tribulation and they live on earth forever. 1000 years of this reality, and then assumable eternally on the new earth.

Verse 5 claims all the rest of those who died in the tribulation stay in sheol for 1000 years. Then they stand at the GWT, and cast into the Lake of Fire in eternity. They physically died in the tribulation, and spiritually die in the Lake of Fire.

Technically there is not a second resurrection. Will there be in the New Earth, we are not told.

The first birth is physical, the second birth is spiritual. The first death is physical, and the second death is spiritual. The first resurrection is physical and the second resurrection would be spiritual.

The church receives both resurrections. Both automatically happen for those alive at the Second Coming. We recieve a new physical body and a spiritual body at the same time. The church lives in Paradise and it is called New Jerusalem in Revelation 21.

Oldsaint24

The first resurrection is at the conclusion of this age. The second resurrection takes place at the conclusion of the age to come, the Sabbath rest, the millennial kingdom. Then is eternity....no death, no sin, no sorrow.....perfection as was intended from the beginning.

SteveB

Jesus talked about the resurrection of the just, and the resurrection of the damned.
Joh 5:29 WEB and will come out; those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.

while I'll agree that this doesn't separate the two, there is a distinction between them.
In 1 Thessalonians4:13-17, the resurrection of the saints in Christ.
In Luke21:34-36, it's pretty clear that Jesus is asking us to pray to be accounted worthy to escape the things coming on the earth and to stand before him on that day.

Oldsaint24

Jesus talked about the resurrection of the just, and the resurrection of the damned.
Joh 5:29 WEB and will come out; those who have done good, to the resurrection of life; and those who have done evil, to the resurrection of judgment.

while I'll agree that this doesn't separate the two, there is a distinction between them.
In 1 Thessalonians4:13-17, the resurrection of the saints in Christ.
In Luke21:34-36, it's pretty clear that Jesus is asking us to pray to be accounted worthy to escape the things coming on the earth and to stand before him on that day.
the verse you quoted 5:29 is the second resurrection. Just prior, verse 25 identifies the obedient children of God being resurrected at the first resurrection. First....."they that hear" Second....."..all that are in the grave shall hear...."

The first are the obedient, those worthy to be part of the first resurrection. It is those who hear and only those who hear.
The second is a total resurrection of all the dead.....all shall hear.

SteveB

the verse you quoted 5:29 is the second resurrection. Just prior, verse 25 identifies the obedient children of God being resurrected at the first resurrection. First....."they that hear" Second....."..all that are in the grave shall hear...."

The first are the obedient, those worthy to be part of the first resurrection. It is those who hear and only those who hear.
The second is a total resurrection of all the dead.....all shall hear.
So, the obedient..... are they raised in 1 Thess. 4? Or not until AFTER the 1000 year reign of Christ is complete?

Oldsaint24

So, the obedient..... are they raised in 1 Thess. 4? Or not until AFTER the 1000 year reign of Christ is complete?
The passage is referring to the first resurrection. Yes the obedient children of God opposed to the naughty (to put it mildly) children of God are raised at the first resurrection and enjoy the marriage supper and inherit the age to come.

SteveB

The passage is referring to the first resurrection. Yes the obedient children of God opposed to the naughty (to put it mildly) children of God are raised at the first resurrection and enjoy the marriage supper and inherit the age to come.
You didn't answer my question.
Are the obedient raised in 1 thess 4:13-17, or not until AFTER the 1000 year reign of Christ is complete?

Oldsaint24

You didn't answer my question.
Are the obedient raised in 1 thess 4:13-17, or not until AFTER the 1000 year reign of Christ is complete?
Yes. After the 1000 year reign all are resurrected.
But I don't understand how my first response was not sufficient.

SteveB

The "yes" was to your first question. The second statement addressed your second question.
I suggest in the future you ask questions, separately....to avoid confusion.
Sorry.
I didn't think so plainly stated questions could be confusing.

Now I'll ask the next.

Why are the obedient not raised until after the 1000 year Reign of Jesus, when it plainly states that we will be a Kingdom of Priests to God?

Oldsaint24

Sorry.
I didn't think so plainly stated questions could be confusing.

Now I'll ask the next.

Why are the obedient not raised until after the 1000 year Reign of Jesus, when it plainly states that we will be a Kingdom of Priests to God?
What?? Where did that question come from?

There must be a disconnect from what I write. Post 7 What did you not understand? How did you read it?

SteveB

What?? Where did that question come from?

There must be a disconnect from what I write. Post 7 What did you not understand? How did you read it?
It's apparently a new question.
Or did you actually think you could kill all further discussion by using only a couple of verses to justify your belief?

Yodas_Prodigy

From a Covenantal perspective, I think this is being Born Again...