The foundation of all salvation.

1670. ἕλκω helkō; a prim. vb.; to drag; draw; haul: — drag(1), dragged(2), draw(1), draws(1), drew(1), haul(1), hauled(1).
John 6:44 (NAS20S) “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him

Do you see a sequence here?
Amen! There is nothing passive about the drawing of John 6:44. It is also an unequivocal conditional statement where the dependency upon the coming is predicated upon an active hauling, dragging, pulling to the Son by the Father, and any drawing or persuading comes with that connotation.

But let's take care not to commit the same mistake another did and assert only part of the verse because in its entirety the verse also speaks of Christ raising up the one God had powerfully has drawn to His Son. Everything here is attributed to God and not a single word about the unregenerate's will or faith. God is the causal agent working in every detail of the sequence.

No inferences needed. Just an acceptance of what is plainly states as written.

But let's take care not to commit the same mistake another did and assert only part of the verse because in its entirety the verse
Yes--I was going to mention the context of the surrounding text and the affirmation that exists, but I also like how that phrase stands as unassailable.
;-)

What is it you do not understand about my not replying until the question first asked is answered?
Copout

you failed to deal with the order of faith and regeneration

You created a post to rebut my contention that faith precedes regeneration

you failed to do so

and it is plain you failed which is why you do not provide evidence of a claim that you did rebut the order

You bet. This is one of those verses that I consider as pivotal on the subject. There is no ambiguity. In order to contradict the clarity of meaning, I would have to find equally or superior verses and I haven't managed that. In fact, I have found overwhelming corroboration.
Amen...

The Verse can be treated like a Red-Headed Stepchild. Some here want to put a Blonde Wig on it so it can fit in with the rest of the kids...

But isn't it still Red-Headed by Nature? ;)

Last edited:
Thank you for this...
First I have to note that verse does nothing at all to address the sequence between faith and regeneration

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

that anyone could deny faith precedes life is more than just mind boggling

now as for the verse quoted it is followed by

John 6:45 (KJV 1900) — 45 It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

men are drawn by hearing and learning from the Father

In other words they need revelation

as Christ noted

John 5:45–47 (KJV 1900) — 45 Do not think that I will accuse you to the Father: there is one that accuseth you, even Moses, in whom ye trust. 46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me: for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

had they believed the revelation of Moses they would have believed Christ

I will not collaborate with shifting onuses. I will collaborate with an equal and fair exchange of questions and answers. So until you first answer my first question you don't get to ask me anything, especially if it means continued disregard for what was asked.

Show me the verse in scripture explicitly assigning any causal relationship between the non-believer's sinful will and his salvation, or acknowledge no such verse exists. Either will suffice.
There you go again

John 20:31 (KJV 1900) — 31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

The verse you reference was produced to show faith precedes regeneration but all you discuss is causality. You never addressed the argument at all

The argument preceded based on John's putting faith before life

and that when a living person is stated to receive life spiritual life - regeneration is spoken of

You don't address that at all

Speaking only of a causal relationship but there are all kind of causes.

Having informed you that no one believes man saves himself you were asked to expound on what you were looking for. You refused to do so.

Well I submit God is the sufficient and necessary cause of saving those that believe while faith is a necessary cause or an instrumental cause of salvation

you cannot be saved without it

John 3:16–18 (KJV 1900) — 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Condition of Salvation. As has been assumed in the foregoing, faith is the condition of salvation. It is not the procuring cause but the condition, or instrumental cause. It is frequently associated in the Scriptures with repentance; thus the conditions of salvation, as commonly stated in Protestant doctrine, are repentance and faith. But in reality true faith and true repentance are not separate or to be distinguished too rigidly from each other. Faith is fundamental. Repentance implies faith. Faith is not saving faith unless it includes repentance. (See Repentance.) Saving faith may therefore be properly defined for those who have the light of the gospel as such belief in the Lord Jesus Christ as leads one to submit completely to the authority of Christ and to put complete and exclusive trust in Him for salvation. (See John 3:14–16.)

E. McChesney, “Faith,” ed. Merrill F. Unger and R.K. Harrison, The New Unger’s Bible Dictionary (Chicago: Moody Press, 1988).

Now you speak of the sinners will perhaps you would care to discuss how one believes and places his trust in the object of faith without an act of the will

1670. ἕλκω helkō; a prim. vb.; to drag; draw; haul: — drag(1), dragged(2), draw(1), draws(1), drew(1), haul(1), hauled(1).
John 6:44 (NAS20S) “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him

How about here

John 12:32 (KJV 1900) — 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

The following verses two have been asserted in this thread as proof faith precedes regeneration. It is noted before I begin neither of the verses actually states, "faith precedes life," or "faith precedes regeneration." The only way to read the first three verses cited is to first assume a sequential relationship and then a causal relationship. Neither of the two verses states either.

John 20:31 (KJV)
But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

John 5:40 (KJV)
And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

The first does establish a causal relationship; it is one between the writing and the believing.....

The verse you reference was produced to show faith precedes regeneration but all you discuss is causality. You never addressed the argument at all
The bold-faced sentence does in fact address that argument. John 20:31 does not actually state, "faith precedes life," or "faith precedes regeneration." That's all that needs to be said about the matter. You say that's what the verse says but anyone reading what is actually stated can see that is in fact NOT what it states. The verse could just as easily be read to say belief and life coincide and are not sequential. The verse could just as easily be read to say believing is the evidence of having life through his name. No sequence between faith and life or regeneration is actually stated. Neither of the two verses state any such thing.

Let's watch you avoid and obfuscate again by not answering a direct question directly and in the very next post after you've been asked. Simple yes or no question requiring only a yes or a no in answer. Let's see if you can and will do that.

Does John 20:31 actually state, "life precedes faith"?

The bold-faced sentence does in fact address that argument. John 20:31 does not actually state, "faith precedes life," or "faith precedes regeneration." That's all that needs to be said about the matter. You say that's what the verse says but anyone reading what is actually stated can see that is in fact NOT what it states. The verse could just as easily be read to say belief and life coincide and are not sequential. The verse could just as easily be read to say believing is the evidence of having life through his name. No sequence between faith and life or regeneration is actually stated. Neither of the two verses state any such thing.

Let's watch you avoid and obfuscate again by not answering a direct question directly and in the very next post after you've been asked. Simple yes or no question requiring only a yes or a no in answer. Let's see if you can and will do that.

Does John 20:31 actually state, "life precedes faith"?
Yes a unbiased simply treading of the text shows as much

there is a clear logical order

it is in believing one has life in his name

Believing is required

no believing no life

Your question has been answered directly and your judgment that this may be a matter avoidance is quite suspect

Not to mention the obvious lack of exegetical ability you have displayed here

Last edited:
No mention of faith in the verse.
Was that verse meant to speak about faith or the subject of drawing?

it was posted in regard to

Alive said:

How about here

John 12:32 (KJV 1900) — 32 And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me.

Drawing was what was being addressed

Maybe you should have checked what the subject was before you posted

I've addressed the errors of using the proof-texted verses to prove faith precedes life, regeneration, and becoming a child, so now I'll speak to the claim Colossians 2:12-13 and Ephesians 2:5-8 say "Faith precedes quickening."

Colossians 2:12-13 (KJV)
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Ephesians 2:5-8 (KJV)
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The first observation to makes is, once again, neither passage actually states, "Faith precedes quickening." Perhaps more importantly, though, is the fact that neither text is about the unregenerate person or the unregenerate will. Both sets of statements were written by an already- regenerate believer to already-regenerate believers about those already-regenerate believers! There isn't a single mention in any of those verses about the unregenerate. Paul is simply saying his already-regenerate audience are risen and risen through the faith of the operation of God, NOT by the faith of the unregenerate mind or will. In other words, this passage is example of what I said from the beginning: the monergist can point to scripture that actually states God as causal, not the unregenerate's will. The faith mention in Colossians 2:12 is the faith of God's operation, not the faith of the unregenerate and not the faith in God's operation.

Neither passage speaks about the unregenerate. Therefore, neither passage is speaking about the faith of the unregenerate. Using these passages as if they do apply to the unregenerate is called a false equivalence, or the apples and oranges fallacy. The regenerate and the unregenerate are not the same kind of people; they are no equally comparable because one is still dead in sin and not dead in Christ and the other is dead to sin and is dead in Christ.

Neither does either passage state any sequence between the unregenerate's faith and his own salvation. It cannot do so because neither passage was written about the unregenerate. Even were we to say the two texts apply to the unregenerate there is still no sequence explicitly established between faith and quickening. The quickening and the faith can co-occur. The same two texts could also be read to say the quickening is evidence of the faith, or that it manifested the faith. Simply put, neither passage actually states, "Faith precedes quickening," as was asserted, and the only way to render either passage that way is to eisegetically assume beforehand that is what is being said.

The above being said, a proper exegesis of either text would take a couple of posts for each because Paul is referencing some Old Testament texts and the meaning of what he's written won't adequately be understood without consulting his source material. For example, the matter of "uncircumcision of the flesh" is rooted in the Abraham covenant and all that is said about that covenant in both Old and New Testaments. It also references some of the prophets, such a Jeremiah, who speaks of "Circumcise yourselves to the LORD And remove the foreskins of your heart," and "for all the nations are uncircumcised, and all the house of Israel are uncircumcised of heart."

Many draw separations between soteriology and eschatology and they not only don't consider the soteriological meaning of the prophets they don't believe it exists. Yet it is very clear in the New Testament Abrahamic circumcision, Mosaic circumcision, and Jeremiah's circumcision is important to life in Jesus. The irony here is that this very Colossians 2 passage speaks explicitly about this circumcision but the original poster conveniently left out that portion of scripture.

Colossians 2:8-15
See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, according to the tradition of men, according to the elementary principles of the world, rather than according to Christ. For in Him all the fullness of Deity dwells in bodily form, and in Him you have been made complete, and He is the head over all rule and authority; and in Him you were also circumcised with a circumcision made without hands, in the removal of the body of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ; having been buried with Him in baptism, in which you were also raised up with Him through faith in the working of God, who raised Him from the dead. When you were dead in your transgressions and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He made you alive together with Him, having forgiven us all our transgressions, having canceled out the certificate of debt consisting of decrees against us, which was hostile to us; and He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. When He had disarmed the rulers and authorities, He made a public display of them, having triumphed over them through Him.

It's not a circumcision made by hand. It is not a hand-made circumcision. (Gk. = "acheiropoiētō" G886)

Elsewhere Paul writes,

Philippians 3:2-4
Beware of the dogs, beware of the evil workers, beware of the false circumcision; for we are the true circumcision, who worship in the Spirit of God and glory in Christ Jesus and put no confidence in the flesh.....

That "we" is the saints, the regenerate, not the unregenerate. The regenerate is the circumcision that is not hand-made. Which brings me to another point.

the same selective use of scripture applies to the Ephesians 2 text because when we look at what else Paul wrote we read,

Ephesians 2:1-10
And you were dead in your trespasses and sins, in which you formerly walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, of the spirit that is now working in the sons of disobedience. Among them we too all formerly lived in the lusts of our flesh, indulging the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, even as the rest. But God, being rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in our transgressions, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up with Him, and seated us with Him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, so that in the ages to come He might show the surpassing riches of His grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. For by grace you have been saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; not as a result of works, so that no one may boast. For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

We see that it is God who made those dead in trespass alive. He made us alive. In Ephesians 2:8-10, the text states we are saved by grace through faith and it is not of ourselves but the gift of God. There's a lot of debate about this because one side argues both grace and faith are gifts while the other makes distinction between the two. But the facts of the verse are that no distinction is being made and the gift is singular, not plural. It is not grace AND faith that are gifts and it is not grace AND faith that are the gift. The gift is salvation-by-grace-through-faith. It is salvation-by-grace-through-faith that is NOT OF OURSELVES!!!!!

It is by grace we have been saved through faith.

It is the by grace we have been saved through faith as a whole that is the gift and the two are inseparable when it comes to understanding the gift. The salvation by grace through faith is not of ourselves. This is further reiterated when we continue to read we are created in Christ for good works that God has already planned for us to perform.

NOT A SINGLE WORD ABOUT THE UNRGENERATE OR HIS FAITH! Not a single word about the unregenerate's faith. On the contrary, we were not circumcised by hand and the salvation by grace through faith is a gift, not of ourselves, and we are His workmanship. His "workmanship" is the making us alive, the salvation by grace through faith that is not of ourselves, the work He's already planned for the saved person before He ever saved the person. All God, none of it attributed to the unregenerate.

Neither passage quoted actually states, "Faith precedes quickening." Neither verse actually states any sequence of events whereby faith precedes anything, much less quickening. The only way to read either passage sequentially is by assuming such a sequence, not relying on what is specifically, explicitly stated. That is an inferential reading. It is an eisegetic reading, not an exegetic one.

At this point let me make note of something very important:

Perhaps there is scripture that actually states faith precedes these things. The problem being addressed is the abuse of scripture to make it say things it does not actually state.

From the very beginning of my participation in this thread I have been asserting and asking about the fact there are verses in the Bible that actually state a causal relationship between God and the salvation of the one He is saving from sin, death, and wrath but there are no verses in scripture stating any causal relationship between the unregenerate's will and his own salvation prior to his salvation. The extension of that observations is this:

Monergists work from actual statements and although they may also make inferences, they do so based on what is actually stated. The synergist does not. The synnergist has no scripture actually stating much of what is claimed in synergist soteriology. The synergist begins with inference and the synergist doctrine is built solely on inferences about sequence and cause.

So as I go through the various verses quoted to justify synergism what I am doing is showing what is actually stated, the absence of what is claimed, and the inherently inferential nature of the synergist's reading of what was quoted. The point of this exercise is two-fold: 1) Believe what is stated over what is eisegetically inferred, and 2) form doctrine accordingly. Given the option of choosing a doctrine built on clear plain statements versus one built solely from (eisegetic) inference the choice should be clear: start with what is plainly stated.

I've addressed the errors of using the proof-texted verses to prove faith precedes life, regeneration, and becoming a child, so now I'll speak to the claim Colossians 2:12-13 and Ephesians 2:5-8 say "Faith precedes quickening."

Actually you flubbed badly and were refuted by Greek exegetes, bible dictionaries and commentatorst
Colossians 2:12-13 (KJV)
12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead. 13 And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses;

Ephesians 2:5-8 (KJV)
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ, (by grace ye are saved;6 And hath raised us up together, and made us sit together in heavenly places in Christ Jesus: 7 That in the ages to come he might shew the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

The first observation to makes is, once again, neither passage actually states, "Faith precedes quickening." Perhaps more importantly, though, is the fact that neither text is about the unregenerate person or the unregenerate will.

Lets start with what you ignored

The fact regeneration is a spiritual resurrection - the making alive of one who was dead spiritually . All whether Calvinist or Arminian or provisionist affirm quickening refers to regeneration

It is a physically living man who is dead in trespasses and sin who is made alive

this is the impartation of spiruitual life - regeneration

looking at verse 12 we are clearly shown it is through faith

Colossians 2:12 (ESV) — 12 having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead.

we also see quickening -regeneration is preceded by remission of sin

Colossians 2:13 (ESV) — 13 And you, who were dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, God made alive together with him, having forgiven us all our trespasses,

Even a neophyte knows remission of sin requires faith and repentance

Acts 10:43 (KJV)
43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.

Luke 24:47 (KJV)
47 And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Your biblical knowledge and exegetical ability are woefully substandard

Next

Ephesians 2:5–8 (ESV) — 5 even when we were dead in our trespasses, made us alive together with Christ—by grace you have been saved— 6 and raised us up with him and seated us with him in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, 7 so that in the coming ages he might show the immeasurable riches of his grace in kindness toward us in Christ Jesus. 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

examining verse 5 we see quickening - regeneration is equated to being saved by grace

this is confirmed here

Titus 3:5 (ESV) — 5 he saved us, not because of works done by us in righteousness, but according to his own mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewal of the Holy Spirit,

regeneration is how God saves

a fuller exposition of salvation is that it is by grace through faith verse 8

Faith is the channel which must exist so that salvation and thus reneration may be had

Both sets of statements were written by an already- regenerate believer to already-regenerate believers about those already-regenerate believers! There isn't a single mention in any of those verses about the unregenerate.

What an absurd attempt at an argument. Paul is speaking of their previous experience concerning their quickening

Mark up another set of verses you failed to refute

At this point let me make note of something very important:

Perhaps there is scripture that actually states faith precedes these things. The problem being addressed is the abuse of scripture to make it say things it does not actually state.
That is all you have been doing is assert

Your exegesis has been clearly substandard

you failed to show any abuse as your arguments have been incredible weak

you show unfamilarity with or a failure to recognize in writing basic biblical concepts.

Your exegesis of texts substandard not being able to to come to grips with simple words such as through
or comprehend subjunctive phrases

You have in additional cases been refuted by Greek scholarship, biblical dictionaries, encyclopedias and commentators

Actually you flubbed badly and were refuted by Greek exegetes, bible dictionaries and commentatorst
Can you show me a verse that explicitly states any causal relationship between the unregenerate's will and his salvation?

Until you answer this question you don't get a reply for anything, especially not the biased use of extra-biblical sources and more eisegetic interpretations.

That is all you have been doing is assert

Your exegesis has been clearly substandard.....
Do you understand proving me wrong does not prove you correct?

Now, if you are able, show me the verse that explicitly states any causal relationship between the unregenerate's faith and his salvation.

Otherwise, don't expect replies to red herrings, especially not ones couched in ad hominem, the biased use of extra-biblical sources, or more eisegetic interpretations piled atop the already-existing ones.

Last edited:
Do you understand proving me wrong does not prove you correct?

Do you understand you were badly refuted

How anyone could fail to understand that in a verse like

John 20:31 (ESV) — 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

that believing is logically prior to having life

It is in believing that you might have life

Now, if you are able, show me the verse that explicitly states any causal relationship between the unregenerate's faith and his salvation.

In the verse above believing is the instrumental or necessary cause of having life

As I told you man does not save himself but believing is necessary to salvation

that is readily observable throughout john's gospel

especially clear

John 3:16–18 (ESV) — 16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God.

that makes faith an instrumental and necessary cause of salvation

the same is true here

Ephesians 2:8 (ESV) — 8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

through is dia. it and its noun are in the genitive case

and as Vines notes

4. dia (διά, 1223), “by, by means of,” when followed by the genitive case, is instrumental, e.g., 2 Pet. 3:6, RV, “by which means” (KJV, “whereby”).

W. E. Vine, Merrill F. Unger, and William White Jr., Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words (Nashville, TN: T. Nelson, 1996), 398.

thus we see faith is the instrumental and thus the necessary cause of salvation

So what are you left with ?

trying to claim faith does not involve ones will?

That is just foolish

Faith requires you entrust yourself to the object of your faith

that is a clear act of the will

Otherwise, don't expect replies to red herrings, especially not ones couched in ad hominem, the biased use of extra-biblical sources, or more eisegetic interpretations.

Again you failed to prove eisegesis. You received no red herrings and if you do not want to see criticism of your exegetical adequacy and basic understanding of terms i suggest you stop claiming scripture was abused. you provided no evidence of that or that the lexical examples, the dictionary and encyclopedia resources were biased

If you continue to raise false charges I will point out where you fall short

Back