The Gift of God and the gifts of the Spirit

JDS

There is a difference. The scriptures knows of only one gift of God but this gift is expressed in several ways. We will name them and refer to them as synonyms.
1) Jesus Christ, the Son of God
2) Salvation from sin
3) Righteousness
4) Eternal Life
5) The gift of God
6) The Spirit of God and of Christ
7) Forgiveness of sins

These all mean the same thing in the scriptures. There is no way for any man to accomplish a righteous standing with God unless God initiates it and provides the way. He has done this and all the things that are listed above are accomplished through the work and ministry of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ on behalf of the believer

What is not the gift of God for this column is faith. However, faith is, and can be a gift. But not a gift from the Father. It is one of the several gifts of the Spirit. It is a "spiritual gift." We cannot say what exactly this gift is because there is not commentary on it in the scriptures. It was an enablement for ministry given to certain members of his own choosing for the work of edification in the primitive church before the scriptures were written.

Follow this logic.
1 Cor 12:1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I would not have you ignorant.

Spiritual gifts are gifts given by the Spirit. Watch this.

4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

I could camp out on the above statements but I will just say there is probably not a Calvinist alive today that will take those three divisions of the Godhead literally and apply them to the history of redemption. They are for sure a breakdown of this chapter but also, in a large degree, the breakdown of the whole NT. Here is the breakdown and you may look foryourself.

The Spirit and his gifts of ministry - 1-13
The Lord and his administrations of the body - 14 -27
God and his operations -28-31

Let's look at the spiritual gifts. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit (that would be the gifts) is given to every man to profit withal.

8 For to one is given by
1) the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another
2) The word of knowledge by the same Spirit; 9 To another
3) faith by the same Spirit; to another
4) the gifts of healing by the same Spirit; 10 To another
5) the working of miracles;
6) to another prophecy;
7) to another discerning of spirits;
8) to another divers kinds of tongues;
9) to another the interpretation of tongues:

What about that? Nine gifts of the Spirit. God's number for fruit-bearing.

Here is the unity of the body with various members and different gifts all to be administered by the head of his body, Jesus Christ as if they were one with him.

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.
12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

Do you see where faith is? It is number 3 in the list. Not all have this particular gift. Only those whom the Spirit chose got this gift. But all got one or more gifts. None was left out.

One must understand that a distinction of ministries exist between the members of the Godhead. When God says things like he has begun a good work "in them" the operative work is the Spirits work through them particularly in the exercise of the gifts he has given the Philippian Church.

I want you to remember that it is "God" who is in charge of operations. Look at this;

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure

Well, that is all for now but this salvation of God does not have to be confusing and assigning faith as the gift of God is a very false doctrine and confuses the ways of God and the gospel of salvation and I personally stand in doubt of those who preach it.

JDS

Two examples where the trinitarian God is at work in the earth and in the redemption of man.\

First example: God, Jesus, the Spirit raised Jesus from the dead.

God the Son raised his body from the dead

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.
20 Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?
21 But he spake of the temple of his body.

God the Father raised Jesus from the dead:

Ga 1:1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead)

God the Spirit raised Jesus from the dead

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead

All three persons of the trinity raised Jesus from the dead, because all three persons are one Lord. However, it was actually the Spirit who did the raising of the body of Jesus from the dead.

What about the indwelling of God in the believer?

God the Son indwells the body of the believer, giving him spiritual life.

1 Jn 5:11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

God the Father dwells in the believer

16 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

God the Spirit dwells in the believer

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

We know it was actually the Spirit who quickens the body of the believer but all three persons of the trinity are one and it is the one Lord who quickens us and gives us life by the very fact that he is in us as a member of our redeemed being.

I could go on with this but you get the point.

Now, God the Father has a function in the salvation of a soul. His function is to act as the judge and condemn or pardon. It is the judge who desires to pardon and has provided a way to justifiy sinning men. I will talk about this later because it is important.

God the son has a function in the redemption of a sinner but it is not the same function as God the Father or God the Spirit. The function of the Son is to die for the sinner to satisfy the justice of God in the sinners place and to endure the full brunt of his sentence, which is suffering and death.

This is not the function of the Spirit, who is God to the same degree as the Father and the Son are the one God.

Now, in Romans 7 there is a man there who is speaking for himself that rebuts the whole Calvinist scheme and these two chapters, 7 and 8 puts this crazy system that has been fooling people for 500 years in the category of a cult. This man is a man who does not have the Spirit living in him and he a man who is not mad at God and he does not hate God but he has concluded in his heart that God's law is good and perfect and he is trying his best to keep it and have favor with God. However, he finds out by his own experience that when he would do good evil is present with him and he is condemned by the very same law he trying to keep. What can he doe now that the perfect law has condemned him.

The answer is in Rom 8, where we are introduced to Jesus Christ who has who this sinner can get into. Yes get into and be safe because he has kept the law perfectly and he has endured the penalty of all sinners and took away the condemnation of the law. Read it here;

Rom 7:24 O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
25 I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Calvinists says that unsaved men cannot do anything but hate God and this writer says that is far from the truth. The mind and body are often times at war between themselves in a sinner.

How is a sinner justified?

Rom 8: There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

If a sinner can get "in" Christ Jesus, who has already suffered for sin and rose from the dead, then obviously God will not punish him again for the same thing. Look.

4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

There is a huge point to make here between the mind and the flesh and the enmity between them in a man but my purpose of bringing this up is to show the separate functions of the Godhead and to later make my point on the gift of faith relative to my op.

So, a sinner gets in Christ and Christ gets in him in the person of his Spirit and the condemnation is lifted because the justice of God is satisfied.
Look at this and think.

9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.

Okay, comparing these two verses above shows us that the Spirit of Christ dwelling in the believer is the same as Christ being in us. So now, the believer is "in Christ" and Christ is "in the believer." AND HE IS NOT CONDEMNED. Is this not what Jesus prayed to the Father for in John 17 before he died and rose again.

21 That they all may be one; as thou, Father, art in me, and I in thee, that they also may be one in us: that the world may believe that thou hast sent me.
22 And the glory which thou gavest me I have given them; that they may be one, even as we are one:
23 I in them, and thou in me, that they may be made perfect in one; and that the world may know that thou hast sent me, and hast loved them, as thou hast loved me.
24 Father, I will that they also, whom thou hast given me, be with me where I am; that they may behold my glory, which thou hast given me: for thou lovedst me before the foundation of the world.

25 O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
26 And I have declared unto them thy name, and will declare it: that the love wherewith thou hast loved me may be in them, and I in them.

WOW! Is anyone making the connection from these verses. I will leave it there for now.

Now, the functions are given of the Godhead in this chapter 8. Look.

31 What shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who can be against us?
32 He that spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely give us all things?

33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.

34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?

11 But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

These are wonderful truths proving that God in his trinitarian person does different ministries in the redemption of men. I will show how this is true in the arena of faith as well. This is preparation for for your minds.

I will come back later and talk about faith in relationship with the gift of God and salvation.

JDS

The gift of God is not faith. Calvinists quote Ephesians 2:8-9 and affirm the gift of God in these verses is faith. With this argument the Calvinists goes from being the deceived to being the deceiver. No one with the intellect and tools of some of the people who make this claim could possibly miss the logic that is being revealed in this letter by the apostle Paul without making an effort to do so, Paul, who himself has received this information by special revelation from God, where it is called a hidden mystery that involves the Jews and gentiles in one body, the body of Christ, the church of Jesus Christ. as the manifestation of the grace of God by adding the gentiles into this body without any OT precedent or any promise from him that he will do so.

Not only is this letter a revelation of the church, with it's own separate doctrines, apart from the doctrines of the people of God, Israel, but it is also an explanation of the history that has unfolded up to that time and will unfold until the church is complete and removed from the earth in what Paul calls in chapter 1, the dispensation of the fullness of times. That time, when this epistle is written, is AD 60. The church had it's beginning and it's birthday when the Holy Ghost was sent down from heaven by God and we have our first reference in the scriptures to him as "the gift of God." Read that here with me.

38 Then Peter said unto them (Israel in context), Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

The question for all Calvinists is this. Is what God sent down from heaven in Acts 2 faith? If your answer is "no," it is the Holy Ghost, then you will need to acknowledge the manner in which they are to receive him, and one might even go so far as to ask what it means to receive him. We will be answering both these questions from the scriptures. The Holy Ghost is Life. It is not life that is gained from having blood in one's veins. This is a person and this person is a Spirit, omnipresent, omniscient, and omnipotent and eternal. He is God and his eternal presence in any believer means that he has spiritual life indwelling him and thus has eternal life as a possession.

Now, because Calvinists on this forum have often argued that OT believers in God had the indwelling Holy Spirit and do not even acknowledge that God, through the cross of Christ and his resurrection, has transitioned into a whole new age where men may have the life of God indwelling them on a permanent basis as part of their being. This is major ignorance on a scale that renders God and his work in redemption as completely useless and unnecessary. Paul said in Ga 3 these words, " for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law." Any reasonable man using logic can determine that if Israel under the law could have the indwelling Christ, then there would have been no reason for Christ to live a righteous life and to die for anyone. After all, it is the righteousness of Christ that is imputed to a believer in him and that righteousness is personified in his Spirit. When one receives the Spirit he is receiving the righteousness of Christ because he is in effect receiving Christ into his body. Read the following;

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 And if Christ be in you, the body is dead (dead = separated from God) because of sin; but the Spirit (in the body) is life because of righteousness.

That makes so much logical sense. How can anyone miss it?

I am still making a case for the gift of God and the gift not being faith. The problem is that Calvinists are so mistaught on all major doctrines of the faith that the basics of Christianity must be explained so it will make sense to them. So, they must understand that the Spirit is life and must be received by faith in what God says about it through his preachers who are commissioned to preach his word. So, I will finish this post by making one more comment about the Spirit of God.

Here is what God said about Jesus Christ at his first coming in the flesh.

Jn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.

What, or who, was in Jesus Christ? Life was in him. This life is the Spirit.
Jn 3:34 For he whom God hath sent speaketh the words of God: for God giveth not the Spirit by measure unto him.

5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.

God has sent his Son and the Spirit in him will shine light on him as being the only way to be saved. He says this.

12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name:
13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Everyone who is born into the world is born physically. But none are the sons of God. Not one, except Jesus Christ. But the physical Jesus cannot indwell anyone but his Spirit in him can save anyone who will believe in Jesus Christ, his person and work. John knew that because he wrote this gospel in AD 90 and he had witnessed this salvation in many who had received Christ by faith and were born again. Look at the verb tenses above. He is writing about events he knew about. Now, look what he said about himself.

1 John 3:1 Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.

2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. (in his glorified body)

I will deal next with who receives the gift of God, eternal life, and on what basis. These are exciting truths when one realizes how good God is to us.

JDS

So now, the gift of God is poured out of heaven into the kingdom of men on the earth in Acts 2. He came down from God and is given to men only, at first, who are born physically into the family of Jacob as a gift. We have a history book that tells us that and the man who wrote the history is a man named Luke, who was a prophet of God. Just to see what he says about himself, we read in another NT book he wrote. Here is what he said.

Luke 1:1 Forasmuch as many have taken in hand to set forth in order a declaration of those things which are most surely believed among us,
2 Even as they delivered them unto us, which from the beginning were eyewitnesses, and ministers of the word;
3 It seemed good to me also, having had perfect understanding of all things from the very first, to write unto thee in order, most excellent Theophilus,
4 That thou mightest know the certainty of those things, wherein thou hast been instructed.

A man who has perfect understanding from the beginning of all things is a man who is worthy to be believed. We can be sure he reported them accurately. He did not explain everything in the history he wrote because that was not his aim. God used other men to explain the history and they wrote books of their own to do it. What is important here is Luke was an eye witness to most of the things he writes about in the Acts.

So, with that in mind, Luke said that which was poured out that day, 50 days after the physical resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead and 40 days after his ascension to heaven to sit on the Father's throne, God sent his Spirit to earth as the gift of God to men. That which he sent was not faith. It was a person. It was God himself in the person of the Spirit. It was Life. It was the same Spirit who was in Jesus Christ when he was on the earth. It was the same Spirit who raised Jesus Christ from the dead.

Rom 8:11 But if the Spirit of him (God the Father Ga 1:1) that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.

One will need to ask himself if the life giving Spirit that God poured out on Israel that day was the gift of God before he was poured out, when he was poured out, or only when men received him from God. One will need to use reason and logic to answer this question and believe the words Luke wrote. What did Luke say?

Acts 2:17 And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh:

Did he mean he would pour out his Spirit on all flesh at the same time? Well, it could mean that and we could believe it did mean that if we did not have the testimony of Brother Luke, who had perfect understanding and saw what happened and reported it. Acts 2 is just about Israel. It would be 10 more years before it would come to pass that the Spirit is poured out on gentiles in Acts 10.

What happened when the Spirit was received by the men of Israel? Following is what Luke said happened.

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
41 Then they that gladly received his word ( God's word through Peter) were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.
47 Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord added to the church daily such as should be saved.

Luke said they who gladly received his word were baptized and were saved and added to the church.

So, according to Luke, the Spirit was the gift of God to be received but before a single person received him.

38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Repenting and being baptized is preparation for receiving the gift. The gift is available because it has been poured out from heaven. The command is for "every one of them" to receive the gift. When they did these things they will receive him. Repentance is preparation of the heart. Being baptized in water in his name was an identification with his person. This must be done because they crucified him after rejecting him. This now is a complete turnaround, which is the definition of repentance.

Now, this is not what will happen when the gentiles are baptized from above by the spirit of God. We will speak about that later in another post, but speaking about baptism, we will need to note what Luke has to say about it in Acts 1.

Luke tells us Jesus told these apostles and disciples to wait in Jerusalem, here.

Acts 1:8 But ye shall receive power, after that the Holy Ghost is come upon you: and ye shall be witnesses unto me both in Jerusalem, and in all Judaea, and in Samaria, and unto the uttermost part of the earth.

The reason the words are so important to believe can be demonstrated here. The operative words in our discussion is "is come UPON you." These people already had the Spirit in them. One can see in John 20 he breathed on them and said "receive ye the Holy Ghost." Being baptized is an outward thing. It is not said in scripture that one is baptized by receiving the Holy Ghost. When the Holy Ghost was poured out on this nation they were said to be baptized in and by the Holy Ghost. That just means that the Holy Ghost was poured out of heaven by God in such abundance that he would be available for them all without them having to seek for him.

Luke tells us Jesus said this.

Acts 1:5 For John truly baptized with water; but ye shall be baptized with the Holy Ghost not many days hence. This baptism of the Spirit did not mean that all Israel will be saved but it does mean that they all could be saved because all could receive this gift of God that he poured out from heaven. Read these chapters and apply reason and common sense.

We will look further into this in my next post.

JDS

Continuing.

Most people commenting on Christianity and it's doctrines do not seem to take into account of the tremendous change that is wrought on the earth with the coming of Jesus Christ to the earth and his ministry to mankind. Logic and reason would teach us if God is just now in the very beginning of the 5th millennium of human history giving his Holy Spirit to men as his gift to indwell them and be their life eternally then the previous 4 thousand years was preparation for this work of God. The operation of God's sovereignty will of necessity be different now than before. If God had already been giving his Holy Spirit in this way before the cross and resurrection of Jesus Christ, as some, if not all Calvinists affirm, then one would have to question what is the big deal of the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The giving of the Holy Spirit was and is the immediate result of his ministry on earth. The blood he shed on that cross was the only way men could be cleared of their inherent sins. Men in the OT times could be justified by their faith in God but they could not be cleared of their sins. Nothing can take away sins but the blood of Christ. Justified men must have their sins washed away by the holy blood of God, Jesus Christ. "Without the shedding of blood there is no remission," so says the writer of Hebrews under the inspiration of God.

So, before the cross and resurrection justified men had sin in them and did not have the Holy Ghost in them.
After the cross justified men had no sin because sin is washed away by the blood of Christ, the only agency that could wash away sin, and when sin was washed away, their bodies became the habitation of God himself in the person of the Holy Spirit and he is present with them forever, nothing being able to condemn them ever again. Why? Because he, the Holy Ghost, is the perfect righteousness in men that God and justice requires. Sin and the Holy Ghost cannot dwell in the body at the same time but one or the other is in it. The faith that sinners put in Christ justifies them in the sight of God and the blood of Christ washes away their sins and the Holy Ghost provides the righteousness they do have without the intervention of God himself. It is as simple as that. Simple for us sinners but not simple for God. He sacrificed himself for us so we might have life and dwell with him forever. What kind of love is that? It is impossible to express it in words of a human tongue.

John 1:29
The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.

Heb 9:26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.

Lk 2:7 And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.
11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Heb 2:14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;
15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.
16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.
17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.
18 For in that he himself hath suffered being tempted, he is able to succour them that are tempted.

1 Jn 1:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

Titus 3:4 But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
5 Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
6 Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;

No one could have had this before the cross of Christ and his resurrection.

Re 1:5 And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,

(If your translation does not have these words than I advise to throw it away and replace it)

There could have been no salvation from sin if the OT had ended without the sacrifice and resurrection of Jesus Christ. All salvation hinges on those three days at the end of one age and the beginning of the next. It would not have mattered who came to Jesus Christ in John 6, or for what reason, or who compelled them to come. They would have still had their sins. No one could be saved in the previous age because there was no shed blood to wash away sins. There was no gift of the Holy Ghost to enter into a cleaned out house. There could only be justification by faith. It took something new, something better to take the sin away and to save the soul. The death of the perfect sacrifice of Jesus Christ and his resurrection and his own Spirit given to men provided that.

Ga 4:44 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, made under the law,
5 To redeem them that were under the law, that we might receive the adoption of sons.
6 And because ye are sons, God hath sent forth the Spirit of his Son into your hearts, crying, Abba, Father.

Rom 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26 To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

Heb 9:15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.

All salvation from sin is through Jesus Christ whether in times past, the present time, or times to come, and justification is by faith in what God says. Jesus Christ saves those whom the Father justifies and the Holy Ghost indwells those whom Jesus saves.

Rom 8:33 Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth.
34 Who is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us.

Rom 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

May the Lord Jesus Christ be glorified and lifted high by these comments. Amen.

I will give information about the gifts of the Spirit later.