The gospel in Genesis.

BBL , I lost my cool over a blatant lie and worse the one lying turned the whole incident into a joke. I do believe lying is still a sin. Later.
Bud, you got your feathers all ruffled.
I knew this would happen.

Can we start over? And have a good back and forth discussion without the Calvinism judging?
It would go a lot smoother.

trying to help

I never said nor implied that anyone goes to God without the Holy Spirit convicting that person,
Good, so we must be regenerated by the Holy Spirit prior to Faith, correct?
but some quench the Holy Spirit preferring their sin over God. God does not force folks to believe.
So, is this a partial Regeneration? And if so, where in Scripture, can I find such a teaching? How do you deal with these passages:

John 10:27My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. 28I give them eternal life, and they will never perish, and no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. 30I and the Father are one.”

Though we will struggle and fall a lot of times, Christ did not fall or fail. And it's only in Him that we have life and redemption through a Promise made by God. And God doesn't break his Promises.​

Saved by grace through faith no where does scripture teach that you don’t have a choice when confronted with truth.

I love how heretics always resort to the double negative, instead of even attempting to prove the positive doctrine.

In effect, this is an argument from silence, which is fallacious.

Scripture says we are "dead in trespasses and sins". Do dead people have a "choice" to become alive?

Scripture says we are "slaves to sin". Do slaves have a "choice" to be free? (Maybe the Civil war was unnecessary?)

Jesus taught that "no man can come to Him", if the Father didn't draw him.
Does that sound like someone can "choose" to come to Him?

I never said nor implied that anyone goes to God without the Holy Spirit convicting that person, but some quench the Holy Spirit preferring their sin over God. God does not force folks to believe.
You are either skimming over his passages or just want to be silly.

I love how heretics always resort to the double negative, instead of even attempting to prove the positive doctrine.

Scripture says we are "dead in trespasses and sins". Do dead people have a "choice" to become alive?

Scripture says we are "slaves to sin". Do slaves have a "choice" to be free? (Maybe the Civil war was unnecessary?)

Agreed!
And I have no issue talking with him or anyone else about these things. But leave out the, judging me because I’m a Calvinist. That’s not the makings of good discussions.

Amen Brother! I think they look at the fall as a time out, we're not that bad, we're good people.

Agreed!
And I have no issue talking with him or anyone else about these things. But leave out the, judging me because I’m a Calvinist. That’s not the makings of good discussions.
I am the ugly Calvinist who eats little kids, and terrorize villagers. I am Baba Yaga! Just kidding, being silly.

Well lets see what a dead man can do

John 5:24–25 (KJV 1900)
24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life. 25 Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live.

John 20:31 (KJV 1900)
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name.

What do you mean by application? This is written to believers not unbelievers. The application is discerning the heart and revealing it to us. God’s work in our sanctification and conforming us to the image of Christ.
When I say universal application, I mean that it applies universally not to just to one group. God’s Word is alive and active, getting right to our heart, exposing the very thoughts and intent. This applies to both saved and unsaved. Why? Because God's Word is alive and active! It does not matter if the hearer is unbelieving, God's Word is still alive and active.
Why would God discern the intentions and thoughts of the unsaved heart? How are the unsaved striving to enter rest in Christ?
Hebrews 4:11,
Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.
I agree that it was written to believers, and I also agree it is to reveal our heart to us. But God’s Word is not only for sanctification and conformation, but for preaching to the lost that they too may have the sin of their heart exposed, and that is why we preach repent and be saved. God’s Word is alive and active no matter what...that is my point. We were born again by the Living and active Word of God. We were in unbelief and it exposed our sin.

You seem fixated that God’s Word is only alive and active only to the believer, and this is not the case. And this is the reason why I asked you, “Are you saying if it is an unbeliever God's Word is not living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart? And that an unbeliever is excluded from His sight, not naked and exposed, and will not give an account?”…Please answer.

Didn’t the Word of God get spoken to the Israelite's before crossing the river Jordan? How did they respond except for a few? In unbelief. They were given God’s Word and did not believe, so unbelievers were given God’s Word that is alive and active, and they did not trust God. Did God’s Word fail to be alive and active? No. What happened? The people failed to trust God.

Again, the epistle is to believers. But no where in scripture does it teach what you are trying to say.
Yes, I know it is, but God's word is always alive and active is it not?

And what am I trying to say Carbon?
No comment.

I will say however, what your trying to explain by taking the passage out of context is a form of prevenient grace. Which has no part in it.
The writer of Hebrews used 12-13 as a was warning to the believers not to fall into disobedience like the unbelieving Jews of Moses day. Please understand verses 12-13 is universal application, in that ALL must give an account before God. When God’s Word is preached it cuts through and exposes our sin. As Jesus told Nicodemus, those who love the darkness will not come into the light because their deeds are evil…These are the ones who heard and disbelieve because they love the darkness. It is not that God’s Word was dead and inactive, not exposing their sinful thoughts and intents. It is that they reject it for the love of sin. But those who do what is right come into the light to show they are doing what God wants…These are believers.

And no, I’m not taking the passage out of context. The writer of Hebrews used it as a universal application that ALL must give an account before God. This is believers and unbelievers alike.

So when is God’s Word not alive and active? Please answer. I’m quite sure you know the correct answer and it will end the debate.

God bless

This is an interesting observation, and one which seems to align with Paul's comments that through Adam sin entered the world, and likewise, through Christ we have redemption. It does seem a bit lopsided for all of fallen humanity to be damned through the fault of one person regardless of what one does or not while only those who do the right thing can possibly be saved.
I've been reading through John a lot lately. I see he makes many two sided distinctions. Darkness and light etc.

Men love the darkness rather than the light. John 6 and John 10 both stand out to me showing God's Sovereignty in salvation. I think it's amazing.

I see the gospel as a story. It's who Jesus is and what He accomplished. I understand that before time the Father elected a people in Christ to save. The Word was made flesh, born of a virgin with the purpose of establishing a righteousness and atoning for all the sin of those the Father gave Him. He then sent the Holy Spirit to regenerate those who are in Christ, revealing their justification by faith and repentance of dead works. This is how I understand the Gospel.

When I say universal application, I mean that it applies universally not to just to one group. God’s Word is alive and active, getting right to our heart, exposing the very thoughts and intent. This applies to both saved and unsaved. Why? Because God's Word is alive and active! It does not matter if the hearer is unbelieving, God's Word is still alive and active.
Of course God’s word is active and alive Joe, I agree.
your just using the passage out of context imo.
I agree that it was written to believers, and I also agree it is to reveal our heart to us. But God’s Word is not only for sanctification and conformation,
Good I’m glad you agree here, as I thought you would.
but for preaching to the lost that they too may have the sin of their heart exposed,

and that is why we preach repent and be saved.
That’s what we are told to preach, why wouldn’t we?
God’s Word is alive and active no matter what...that is my point.
Of course. And God talks to His people through the word.
We were born again by the Living and active Word of God. We were in unbelief and it exposed our sin.
We were born again be the Holy Spirit as Jesus taught. When the new heart hears the word, he believes.
You seem fixated that God’s Word is only alive and active only to the believer, and this is not the case.
Depends on what passages your using actually. When Jesus said, I lay down my life for the sheep, that wasn’t to the reprobate, although they may here it.
And this is the reason why I asked you, “Are you saying if it is an unbeliever God's Word is not living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart?
Joe, read it in context, for what it says, try not to let your theology seep in.
And that an unbeliever is excluded from His sight, not naked and exposed, and will not give an account?”…Please answer.
No one is hidden from His sight, He’s God. And yes the reprobate are accountable. But again Joe, that’s not the context.
Didn’t the Word of God get spoken to the Israelite's before crossing the river Jordan? How did they respond except for a few? In unbelief. They were given God’s Word and did not believe, so unbelievers were given God’s Word that is alive and active, and they did not trust God. Did God’s Word fail to be alive and active? No. What happened? The people failed to trust God.
The ones that listened were God’s sheep obviously.
Yes, I know it is, but God's word is always alive and active is it not?
Scripture says so.
And what am I trying to say Carbon?
Your trying to say prevenient grace is scriptural.
The writer of Hebrews used 12-13 as a was warning to the believers not to fall into disobedience like the unbelieving Jews of Moses day.

Please understand verses 12-13 is universal application, in that ALL must give an account before God.
Of course. And it is expressing who God is.
When God’s Word is preached it cuts through and exposes our sin.

As Jesus told Nicodemus, those who love the darkness will not come into the light because their deeds are evil…These are the ones who heard and disbelieve because they love the darkness.
I don’t disagree.
It is not that God’s Word was dead and inactive,
Why do you keep stressing this? I never said it was. ?
not exposing their sinful thoughts and intents. It is that they reject it for the love of sin. But those who do what is right come into the light to show they are doing what God wants…These are believers.
I’ll pass on this for now.
And no, I’m not taking the passage out of context. The writer of Hebrews used it as a universal application that ALL must give an account before God. This is believers and unbelievers alike.
Well at least your changing your story.
I agree with that.
So when is God’s Word not alive and active? Please answer. I’m quite sure you know the correct answer and it will end the debate.

God bless
Joe, I’m not concerned with ending the debate. I don’t really see a debate. I just stated some facts and you can agree or disagree.
If you would like to keep discussing this, I’m fine with that also

Of course God’s word is active and alive Joe, I agree.
your just using the passage out of context imo.

Good I’m glad you agree here, as I thought you would.

That’s what we are told to preach, why wouldn’t we?

Of course. And God talks to His people through the word.

We were born again be the Holy Spirit as Jesus taught. When the new heart hears the word, he believes.

Depends on what passages your using actually. When Jesus said, I lay down my life for the sheep, that wasn’t to the reprobate, although they may here it.

Joe, read it in context, for what it says, try not to let your theology seep in.

No one is hidden from His sight, He’s God. And yes the reprobate are accountable. But again Joe, that’s not the context.

The ones that listened were God’s sheep obviously.

Scripture says so.

Your trying to say prevenient grace is scriptural.

Of course. And it is expressing who God is.

I don’t disagree.

Why do you keep stressing this? I never said it was. ?

I’ll pass on this for now.

Well at least your changing your story.
I agree with that.

Joe, I’m not concerned with ending the debate. I don’t really see a debate. I just stated some facts and you can agree or disagree.
If you would like to keep discussing this, I’m fine with that also
Brother, I have not changed my story. You are now beginning to realize what I meant after I responded to your posts. You are not there yet.

And God does not only communicate to believers as you suggested. He talks to ALL people, believers and unbelievers alike.

And I will answer the question asked of you; God's Word is never dead nor inactive. That ends the debate. 12-13 is universal in application, in that no matter who you are or your salvation status, God's Word when preached will invoke a response because it is living and active, exposing the thoughts and intent of the heart. And that is why we preach it, as I originally said which sparked you to debate. You argued it was for believers only, and it is not.

I hope you understand and agree with the Apostle Peter that you were "born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever."

I have adequately proven that God's Word is alive and active no matter one's status of salvation. And that because it is such, it will invoke a response one way or another within the hearer, belief or unbelief. And we are to preach it indiscriminately so all can hear and perhaps believe.

Thank you for the civil discourse. It can get ugly on the board once in while!

God bless

Back