The Great Commission-is it for every Christian

When I read Jesus' words "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.", it seems to me that the last sentence would extend the commission to the "end of the age" and therefore to all believers, until the end of the age.

When I read Jesus' words "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age.", it seems to me that the last sentence would extend the commission to the "end of the age" and therefore to all believers, until the end of the age.
Your reasoning is sound but not definitive by any means.
I can’t recall where or even exactly how it was phrased but aren’t there verses that speak of people in general, not an audience of apostles and disciples, as “some are called as teachers, some as prophets, healers”, etc.
Hope does your understanding jibe with those verses? Anyone wanna jump in with specific knowledge as to the scriptures in question here, please do.

Your reasoning is sound but not definitive by any means.
I can’t recall where or even exactly how it was phrased but aren’t there verses that speak of people in general, not an audience of apostles and disciples, as “some are called as teachers, some as prophets, healers”, etc.
Hope does your understanding jibe with those verses? Anyone wanna jump in with specific knowledge as to the scriptures in question here, please do.
How does your understanding jibe with those verses?

Can’t edit now so correcting the best way I know how.

How does your understanding jibe with those verses?
Maybe you are thinking of ...
1 Corinthians 12:27–31 (ESV)

27 Now you are the body of Christ and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healing, helping, administrating, and various kinds of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Do all work miracles? 30 Do all possess gifts of healing? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the higher gifts.
And I will show you a still more excellent way.

There are other similar verses, which talk about gifting and jobs within the church. Ephesians 4:11 even mentions evangelists specifically. Back to the original commission, again it can't be just to the immediate hearers, as they won't live until the end of the age. It also can't just be a specific individual, as logically, an individual can't make disciples of all nations. There just isn't enough time or capacity to do this. It sounds like a general command given to believers. It sounds like an echo to the command to multiply and fill the earth. Again, not one individual person was to do this, and also not just Adam and Eve, or just Noah and his family. They were the people in God's presence at the time. They were the only ones who could fulfill the command, as they were His people on earth. When Jesus addressed those around Him, that was a new beginning of His people (the church).

The other verses are gifts which happen within the church. There are clearly people who have the gift of evangelism, but that doesn't exempt any believer from the job of spreading the good news. Again it can't mean that we are all to leave and go to all nations. This would be an impossibility. This is the task of the body of Christ, of which we are a part. Some sow; some water. Nobody just sits around and watches. We aren't all a Billy Graham or Hudson Taylor. They didn't go to all the nations, either. If one has a family, making disciples starts right there and goes outward.

Be God's,
Scott

The Great Commission contains the words "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." If their converts were supposed to obey all that Jesus had commanded the disciples, that would have meant that they were to obey the Great Commission.

The Great Commission contains the words "teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you." If their converts were supposed to obey all that Jesus had commanded the disciples, that would have meant that they were to obey the Great Commission.
obey but not truly teach, unless they had hands laid on them... that is for the 'teaching authority'

Matthew 28:16-20

Is the “Great Commission” for all believers through the ages or for the contemporaneous audience standing before Yeshua?
I'd say that it's for every generation of Jesus followers throughout history.

I further think that most of us overthink it.

Paul describes in 1 Corinthians 1 that God chose the weak, inept, and inferior people to put to shame those who are strong, erudite, etc....

1Co 1:18-29 WEB 18 For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are dying, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God. 19 For it is written, “I will destroy the wisdom of the wise. I will bring the discernment of the discerning to nothing.” 20 Where is the wise? Where is the scribe? Where is the lawyer of this world? Hasn’t God made foolish the wisdom of this world? 21 For seeing that in the wisdom of God, the world through its wisdom didn’t know God, it was God’s good pleasure through the foolishness of the preaching to save those who believe. 22 For Jews ask for signs, Greeks seek after wisdom, 23 but we preach Christ crucified: a stumbling block to Jews, and foolishness to Greeks, 24 but to those who are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ is the power of God and the wisdom of God; 25 because the foolishness of God is wiser than men, and the weakness of God is stronger than men. 26 For you see your calling, brothers, that not many are wise according to the flesh, not many mighty, and not many noble; 27 but God chose the foolish things of the world that he might put to shame those who are wise. God chose the weak things of the world that he might put to shame the things that are strong. 28 God chose the lowly things of the world, and the things that are despised, and the things that don’t exist, that he might bring to nothing the things that exist, 29 that no flesh should boast before God.

Use the gospel in its most basic components and God will do the rest.

Jesus died, according to the scriptures.
He rose from the dead 3 days later.

1Co 15:1-4 WEB 1 Now I declare to you, brothers, the Good News which I preached to you, which also you received, in which you also stand, 2 by which also you are saved, if you hold firmly the word which I preached to you—unless you believed in vain. 3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 that he was buried, that he was raised on the third day according to the Scriptures,

Do this, and you'll be fine.

According to 1 Corinthians 4,
We only need to be faithful.

1Co 4:1-5 WEB 1 So let a man think of us as Christ’s servants, and stewards of God’s mysteries. 2 Here, moreover, it is required of stewards that they be found faithful. 3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you, or by man’s judgment. Yes, I don’t judge my own self. 4 For I know nothing against myself. Yet I am not justified by this, but he who judges me is the Lord. 5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and reveal the counsels of the hearts. Then each man will get his praise from God.

No need to second guess your motivation. YHVH takes care of that...

Just
Be
Faithful
To
The
Gospel
Of
Jesus

Is the “Great Commission” for all believers through the ages or for the contemporaneous audience standing before Yeshua?

The word "apostle" is the noun form for "apostello" to send.

29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? 1 Corinthians 12:29

The great commission is the fulfilling of the God's promise to Abraham to bless all the nations of the earth. It is what is presently occurring until the times of the nations are fulfilled.

The Great Commission [Matthew 28:16-20] was directed to the "Lost Sheep of the House of Israel".
[Matthew 10:5-7] The Master directs his disciples to go to the "Lost Sheep". He specifically says....."Do not go among the Gentiles". Would there be a reason He would change His mind 18 chapters later?
He also says that His commission was the same....[Matthew 15:24] and adds that He was sent "only" to them.
In [John 10:16] He informs us that He has sheep that are not of His immediate fold....and He will bring them as well. Jeremiah [50:17-20] tells us they will return eventually from being scattered. Where were they?
Yeshua's brother, James addresses them here: [James 1:1] During the first century it was obviously known the places where where these folks resided....otherwise he wouldn't know where to address his letter.....and they were scattered throughout the world.
Here is what the "Jewish Encyclopedia" has to say about the "Lost Tribes"........"
If the Ten Tribes have disappeared, the literal fulfillment of the prophecies would be impossible: if they have not disappeared, obviously they must exist under a different name. ("Tribes, Lost Ten," vol. 12, p. 249)
The Greek word translated in most bibles as "Nations" [Matthew 28:19] is "Strong's" #1484 which also can be translated......"people or tribes".
The first century historian, Josephus knew where to find them: the entire body of the people of Israel remained in that country wherefore there are but two tribes [Judah and Benjamin] in Asia and Europe subject to the Romans, while the ten tribes are beyond Euphrates till now, and are an immense multitude, and not to be estimated by numbers. (Antiquities of the Jews, 11.5.2)

The Great Commission [Matthew 28:16-20] was directed to the "Lost Sheep of the House of Israel".
[Matthew 10:5-7] The Master directs his disciples to go to the "Lost Sheep". He specifically says....."Do not go among the Gentiles". Would there be a reason He would change His mind 18 chapters later?
He also says that His commission was the same....[Matthew 15:24] and adds that He was sent "only" to them.
In [John 10:16] He informs us that He has sheep that are not of His immediate fold....and He will bring them as well. Jeremiah [50:17-20] tells us they will return eventually from being scattered. Where were they?
Yeshua's brother, James addresses them here: [James 1:1] During the first century it was obviously known the places where where these folks resided....otherwise he wouldn't know where to address his letter.....and they were scattered throughout the world.
Here is what the "Jewish Encyclopedia" has to say about the "Lost Tribes"........"
If the Ten Tribes have disappeared, the literal fulfillment of the prophecies would be impossible: if they have not disappeared, obviously they must exist under a different name. ("Tribes, Lost Ten," vol. 12, p. 249)
The Greek word translated in most bibles as "Nations" [Matthew 28:19] is "Strong's" #1484 which also can be translated......"people or tribes".
The first century historian, Josephus knew where to find them: the entire body of the people of Israel remained in that country wherefore there are but two tribes [Judah and Benjamin] in Asia and Europe subject to the Romans, while the ten tribes are beyond Euphrates till now, and are an immense multitude, and not to be estimated by numbers. (Antiquities of the Jews, 11.5.2)
F.F. Bruce 'Peter, Stephen, James, & John'

That Peter’s missionary activity was not restricted to Jews is implied here and there in the New Testament. . . . 1 Peter . . . is addressed in Peter’s name to Gentile converts in various provinces of Asia Minor (including two which were evangelized by Paul).

Bruce also noted (p. 33) that Peter was among the eleven disciples that Jesus commissioned to “make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19 ff.): thus obviously including Gentiles. So we know that Peter did indeed have such a commission

Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”

It’s for everyone.

I think picking and choosing what applies and doesn’t apply is pretty much the reason for the stunning amount of denominations, sub-denominations, and independent sects of Christianity there are.

Each one believes they have figured every minute detail out; it’s both fascinating and bewildering.

It’s for everyone.

I think picking and choosing what applies and doesn’t apply is pretty much the reason for the stunning amount of denominations, sub-denominations, and independent sects of Christianity there are.

Each one believes they have figured every minute detail out; it’s both fascinating and bewildering.
That is why I am Catholic -- established by Christ 2,000 years ago ?

That is why I am Catholic -- established by Christ 2,000 years ago ?

Yes, you believe that, but the troubling thing is that everyone else is saying it too. The state of general disunity in the church can’t be what God intended. There shouldn’t be a spirit of confusion and concern when trying to find a church to go to. Anyway, perhaps a topic for a different thread.

Yes, you believe that, but the troubling thing is that everyone else is saying it too. The state of general disunity in the church can’t be what God intended. There shouldn’t be a spirit of confusion and concern when trying to find a church to go to. Anyway, perhaps a topic for a different thread.
It is quite sad and I am sure Our Lord and Savior didn't want confusion.... as He prayed that they may be one. Apologetics board might be the place.

Blessings!

F.F. Bruce 'Peter, Stephen, James, & John'

That Peter’s missionary activity was not restricted to Jews is implied here and there in the New Testament. . . . 1 Peter . . . is addressed in Peter’s name to Gentile converts in various provinces of Asia Minor (including two which were evangelized by Paul).
The "Ten Tribes" were not "Jews".....nor were they Gentile. Many thought them to be Gentile as time passed as they lost their Israelite identity.
Bruce also noted (p. 33) that Peter was among the eleven disciples that Jesus commissioned to “make disciples of all nations” (Matthew 28:19 ff.): thus obviously including Gentiles. So we know that Peter did indeed have such a commission
As reported in my earlier post......the Greek "Ethnos" may also be translated as "Tribes or People". That is the word you usually see translated as "Nations".
Acts 1:8 But you will receive power when the holy Spirit comes upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, throughout Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.”
The Ten "Lost" Tribes were indeed scattered to the ends of the earth!

The "Ten Tribes" were not "Jews".....nor were they Gentile. Many thought them to be Gentile as time passed as they lost their Israelite identity.

As reported in my earlier post......the Greek "Ethnos" may also be translated as "Tribes or People". That is the word you usually see translated as "Nations".

The Ten "Lost" Tribes were indeed scattered to the ends of the earth!
Are you saying that the great commission was not for all of us?

Thanks

Are you saying that the great commission was not for all of us?

Thanks
What I am saying is.....scripture indicates a different path than most folks have been taught from an early age. How do you explain these passages.........

[Matthew 10:5-7] These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

The disciples (individuals of Matthew 28) were instructed in the Great Commission to do what they had been previously told to do.......to evangelize the Lost Tribes (and the Jews) and not the Gentiles.
Later on....after Peter's revelation [Acts 10] Paul was chosen to evangelize the Gentiles.
Stop and think! Why would Peter (some years after the Great Commission) be concerned about associating with Gentiles.......
(verse 28) And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Peter revealed Yahweh's plan for humanity but Paul was the instrument. Paul was not a disciple of the Great Commission.
The Great Commission (contrary to popular opinion) was not for all of mankind. Israel (both the Jews and the ten tribes) were the recipients of the Covenant through which the entire world would be blessed [Acts 3:25] and that's why they were evangelized first.

What I am saying is.....scripture indicates a different path than most folks have been taught from an early age. How do you explain these passages.........

[Matthew 10:5-7] These twelve Jesus sent forth, and commanded them, saying, Go not into the way of the Gentiles, and into any city of the Samaritans enter ye not: But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel. And as ye go, preach, saying, The kingdom of heaven is at hand.
Matthew 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

The disciples (individuals of Matthew 28) were instructed in the Great Commission to do what they had been previously told to do.......to evangelize the Lost Tribes (and the Jews) and not the Gentiles.
Later on....after Peter's revelation [Acts 10] Paul was chosen to evangelize the Gentiles.
Stop and think! Why would Peter (some years after the Great Commission) be concerned about associating with Gentiles.......
(verse 28) And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Peter revealed Yahweh's plan for humanity but Paul was the instrument. Paul was not a disciple of the Great Commission.
The Great Commission (contrary to popular opinion) was not for all of mankind. Israel (both the Jews and the ten tribes) were the recipients of the Covenant through which the entire world would be blessed [Acts 3:25] and that's why they were evangelized first.
Thank you....

Acts 9:31-32 The CHURCH THROUGHOUT all Judea, Galilee, and Samaria was at peace. It was being built up and walked in the fear of the Lord, and with the consolation of the holy Spirit it grew in numbers.

As PETER was passing THROUGH EVERY REGION, he went down to the holy ones living in Lydda.

Was Peter obedient?

Shepherd my sheep [only Jews?]... Are we not sheep that hear His voice?

Acts 15 - Peter got up and said to them, “My brothers, you are well aware that from early days God made his choice among you that THROUGH MY MOUTH the Gentiles would hear the word of the gospel and believe.

Back