"the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man's heart . . .is false"

Janice Bower

3 John 14:23—The appearing of the Father and the Son, in that verse, is a personal appearance; and the idea that the Father and the Son dwell in a man’s heart is an old sectarian notion, and is false.
Doctrine and Covenants Section 130

Rom. 8:9 NIV
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

1 Cor. 3:16-17 ESV
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

1 Cor. 6:19 NKJV
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?

Rom. 8:9 NIV
You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

1 Cor. 3:16-17 ESV
Do you not know that you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit dwells in you?
If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him; for God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.

1 Cor. 6:19 NKJV
Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
Please note that none of these verses are John 14:23. The passage being referenced is specifict to.that verse.

Please note that none of these verses are John 14:23. The passage being referenced is specifict to.that verse.
Really? So, Smith was only talking about this one verse, is that it? Yet elsewhere, as Janice proved, the Bible does indeed teach that God dwells in believers via the Holy Spirit. God LIVES in us, boJ. He makes His dwelling place in us, by grace through faith in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Smith lied.

Alma 34:36

36 And this I know, because the Lord hath said he dwelleth not in unholy temples, but in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell; yea, and he has also said that the righteous shall sit down in his kingdom, to go no more out; but their garments should be made white through the blood of the Lamb.

:)Looks like the D&C and the Book of Mormon disagree:)

36 And this I know, because the Lord hath said he dwelleth not in unholy temples, but in the hearts of the righteous doth he dwell; yea, and he has also said that the righteous shall sit down in his kingdom, to go no more out; but their garments should be made white through the blood of the Lamb.

Sure do! And Mormon temples are VERY UNholy, so God does NOT dwell in them. Of course, Stephen in Acts 7 and Paul in Acts 17 both say that God does NOT dwell in temples made by human hands--and Mormon temples ARE built by human hands.

According to Mormon teachings, the Father and Son have physical bodies that take up space. If they could possibly fit in one human, it would be rather crowded. According to D&C130:22 ".... the holy Ghost has not a body of flesh and bones, but is a personage of Spirit. Were it not so, the Holy Ghost could not dwell in us."

Mormonism teaches that all spirit is matter and takes up space; the Mormon holy ghost can't dwell (live) in millions of Mormons. Rather than being omnipresent, Mormons teach that he can be in only one place at a time.

D&C 130:23
"A man may receive the Holy Ghost, and it may descend upon him and not tarry with."
Was Mr. Smith smoking weed?

Doesn't dwell mean live? If he is in the telestial kingdom....

? ? ?

More info on holy ghost from

The Power or Influence of the Holy Ghost
Explain that in the scriptures, the prophets often use the words Holy Ghost, Holy Spirit, Spirit, Spirit of Truth, Spirit of the Lord, and Holy Spirit of Promise interchangeably. Sometimes these phrases are used to refer to the person of the Holy Ghost; other times they are used to refer to his power or influence. Only a careful reading of the passage in which the phrase is used will indicate which meaning is intended. President Joseph F. Smith distinguished between the person and the influence of the Holy Ghost: “The Holy Ghost as a personage of Spirit can no more be omnipresent in person than can the Father or the Son, but by his intelligence, his knowledge, his power and influence, over and through the laws of nature, he is and can be omnipresent throughout all the works of God” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. [Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1939], p. 61).

Point out that the person of the Holy Ghost can be in only one place at a time, but his power and influence can be omnipresent—present everywhere at the same time.

Aaronic Priesthood Manual 3

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/bc/content/shared/content/english/pdf/34822_AaronicPriesthood3/ap3-17-the-holy-

From what I understand only mormons can be righteous. Do you agree?

I don't know how they get around that considering God living in the believer is basic Christianity 101.
Joseph Smith was their prophet who contradicted his own previous teachings more than once. People raised in Mormonism aren't taught Christian doctrine. Mormon converts haven't been converted by God to Christ. So gullible people become Mormons. I was gullible and didn't know what the Bible taught. I was 18 and wanted a happy family life. Hah! I had no idea that Mormons weren't all in a state of bliss! But while in it, seeing that they thought their church was more important than the Bible really rubbed me the wrong way! They kept saying, "Of course, we're Christians. The name of our chuch is...." :cry:

LDS: "we believe the Bible as far as it is translated correctly" I had trouble swallowing that! But trying to be a good Mormon exhausted me!

But trying to be a good Mormon exhausted me!
I'm glad that the One Who said, "Come to Me... I will give you rest" got hold of you! 🎉

But that's a problem with all works-righteousness religions: How do you know with certainty that you have done enough?

I'm glad that the One Who said, "Come to Me... I will give you rest" got hold of you! 🎉

But that's a problem with all works-righteousness religions: How do you know with certainty that you have done enough
Well, I didn't believe it and I finally realized I never would. I didn't believe what wasn't in the Bible.

Back