The Jesus Revolution--a Must See

tbeachhead

I saw it last week...I'm still seeing it everywhere I go. My wife and I haven't been to the movies for decades, and this one just took me back to the days I found Jesus waiting for me...

If you don't know, the movie is based on the book by Greg Laurie, covering his conversion and resolution to become a world changer, but it's not about Greg Laurie. It's about Lonnie Frisbee's impact on Greg Laurie. The first I heard of Lonnie Frisbee was in Hank Hanegraaf's hit piece on the Toronto Blessing called "Counterfeit Revival," the hilarious romp that launched my website response that actually brought me to CARM and to this forum. I wrote of his parody of Christian apologetics at length, and you can still find the shards of my page on Google, so I won't go into it here, but in it, he spoke of Lonnie Frisbee who was instrumental in the birth of the Vineyard Movement, and inspirational in launching John Wimber's ministry. Hank, who is big on anecdotal evidence to refute biblical doctrine, declared that Lonnie Frisbee died of AIDS, and therefore...nod wink. nod wink...You get the implication.

Lonnie Frisbee died of AIDS. He was also raped and molested by his male babysitter in the shower as a child. His family was dysfunctional. He had no father. He was also a drug infested hippy when he encountered Jesus in Haight Ashbury in the early sixties, and began to aggressively bring the love of Jesus to bear wherever he went. He was drawn to LA, where he met Greg Laurie, and was brought by Chuck's daughter to Chuck Smith's Calvary Chapel, where the two united and ignited the Calvary Chapel movement...and ended up baptizing thousands in the ocean, and making headlines in Time Magazine. I remember the cover. I remember reading the article. I was already deeply involved in Young Life, more fruit of the influence of Lonnie Frisbee.

The movie shows the good, the bad and the ugly and still covers up key but unnecessary facts in the story. It shows the brilliant union of WoF and critic, when the focus is on obedience to Christ's commandment and obsession for the lost. It shows the dissolution as well.

Lonnie Frisbee, in the History of the Church, ranks among the greatest: the Wesleys, Martin Luther, Calvin. Notwithstanding the fact that he was disowned for decades by Chuck Smith, his was the spark that brought life to Calvary Chapel, which is alll the more ironic, because Hanegraaf at the time was not Easter Orthodox, but affiliated with CC. His Mother's Day message, 1980 (below) was the spark that launched the Vineyard. He was flawed. He was brilliant. This movie is a must see. I'm looking forward to your response.

Back