The lack of The Preeminence of Jesus Christ in Calvinism

praise_yeshua

Col 1:17 And he is before all things, and by him all things consist.
Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.
Col 1:19 For it pleased the Father that in him should all fulness dwell;

I'm often reminded that there are Calvinist who's theology just doesn't give Jesus Christ His rightful place in "all" things....

I can hear those "Calvinists" now. "All" doesn't really mean "all" things..... Yeah. I hear you. So much for giving God the Glory....

There is no other foundation. There is no beginning without Jesus Christ. All of our theology begins with Jesus Christ or it worthless.

1. To some Calvinists, Elect doesn't begin with Jesus Christ, it begins with THEM. They prove it by talking about God's choice in them....... over and over again.
2. To some Calvinists, Judgment for sin is about some "other" person's sin..... while ignoring that the Eternal Life depends solely based upon what a person does with the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
3. To some Calvinists they prefer the "words" of their favorite commentator to the "words" that begin with Jesus Christ. The "Word" made flesh.

When it comes to theology, my thoughts begin with Jesus Christ. ALL others can take a "back seat" to Him.

Iconoclast

Col 1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

I'm often reminded that there are Calvinist who's theology just doesn't give Jesus Christ His rightful place in "all" things....

I can hear those "Calvinists" now. "All" doesn't really mean "all" things..... Yeah. I hear you. So much for giving God the Glory....

There is no other foundation. There is no beginning without Jesus Christ. All of our theology begins with Jesus Christ or it worthless.

1. To some Calvinists, Elect doesn't begin with Jesus Christ, it begins with THEM. They prove it by talking about God's choice in them....... over and over again.
2. To some Calvinists, Judgment for sin is about some "other" person's sin..... while ignoring that the Eternal Life depends solely based upon what a person does with the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
3. To some Calvinists they prefer the "words" of their favorite commentator to the "words" that begin with Jesus Christ. The "Word" made flesh.

When it comes to theology, my thoughts begin with Jesus Christ. ALL others can take a "back seat" to Him.
Another shameful post that is dead on arrival.

SovereignGrace

Alrighty..."all means all and that is all that all means", right?

I can do ALL things through Christ Jesus which strengthens me.[Philippians 4:13]

Does "all things" literally mean "everything imaginable" including sinning? If "all means all" then you have to conclude it does.

praise_yeshua

Alrighty..."all means all and that is all that all means", right?

I can do ALL things through Christ Jesus which strengthens me.[Philippians 4:13]

Does "all things" literally mean "everything imaginable" including sinning? If "all means all" then you have to conclude it does.

So Jesus Christ should come first in all things you do?

Simple question. No need to skirt the the issue.

TibiasDad

I'm sorry, but this is not an accurate description of either Calvinism or the arguments of the better posters of a Calvinistic expression. I am not a Calvinist, but I cannot be silent and maintain my integrity by agreeing with, or at least not objecting to, this characterizing of the Calvinistic argument.

In my humble observation, if Jesus was first in all you do, this post would not have been written.

Doug

praise_yeshua

Personal attacks are not allowed https://carm.org/forum-rules Read them carefully.
I'm sorry, but this is not an accurate description of either Calvinism or the arguments of the better posters of a Calvinistic expression. I am not a Calvinist, but I cannot be silent and maintain my integrity by agreeing with, or at least not objecting to, this characterizing of the Calvinistic argument.

In my humble observation, if Jesus was first in all you do, this post would not have been written.

Doug

Comment removed for a personal attack.

More personal attacks

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

What I wrote was true and accurate. This entire world has a problem with putting Jesus Christ first. You and me included. I'm just focusing on some rather proud people at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:

TibiasDad

Personal attacks removed per mod.

Rev 3:17 Because thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and naked:
Rev 3:18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy nakedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.
Rev 3:19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten: be zealous therefore, and repent.

What I wrote was true and accurate. This entire world has a problem with putting Jesus Christ first. You and me included. I'm just focusing on some rather proud people at the moment.
I just stated my opinion and caution of your post! Your response to it is your responsibility. I can do nothing more than point out what I perceive to be inaccurate.

Doug

Last edited by a moderator:

Iconoclast

In my humble observation, if Jesus wasrity first in all you do, this post would not have been written.

Doug
Thank you for having enough integrity to publically reject this shameful post.

Our Lord's God

Literally: he is before all things and in him all things stand together.

which means the same thing as:

the Heading up of all things in Christ, things in the heavens and things on the earth Ephesians 1:10

....in the risen Christ, all things stand together because God gave him all authority in heaven and earth.

Yes, the risen Christ is the head of the body, the beginning, the firstborn out of the dead

and it literally says, "so that he might come to be first in all things."

Yes, the fullness of the Father was pleased to dwell in the risen Christ.

Believers too are filled up with the fullness of God.

Carbon

Really? And who reminds you of this? If it’s you just seeing this is posts, point them out, which ones In particular?
Which verse or verses do you hear these Calvinists yelling about in particular?

Ok, that’s a fact, all begins with God.
Your ignorance shines through brightly. Would you like a little tour? I’m sure there are Calvinist who would help you out.
You never cease to amaze me with your ignorance of Calvinism.
And how do you know this? You really think highly of yourself.
So let it be said, so let it be written!

Friendly advice? Humble yourself, don’t be so quick to judge, hear people out. When you see error, do as scripture says, speak the truth in Love, not arrogance.

That’s a good start I would say. Now would you like to discuss these things and find how wrong you are?

praise_yeshua

Now would you like to discuss these things and find how wrong you are?

AS much as we've interacted, you would think you'd already been discussing the issue. You haven't. You're just standing back saying I'm wrong without any details as to why.

Carbon

AS much as we've interacted, you would think you'd already been discussing the issue. You haven't. You're just standing back saying I'm wrong without any details as to why.
Well bring up one particular point you would like to discuss. I’m ready, are you?
😎

Carbon

Presently I’m pointing out your error. Exposing the false gospel