The last refuge of the scoundrel

Whateverman

For those not aware, January 6 is supposed to be the day that the current white house occupant will be re-elected, and serve out another 4 year term.

The hope/plan is that Mike Pence will declare the November presidential election contested, which will force it into a "one-state one-vote" runoff, which will hand Drumpf the white house.

Despite the snark in this thread's title and OP, I'm hoping for actual discussion about the subject: does anyone think it's likely that the current VP is going to declare the election contested?

Electric Skeptic

For those not aware, January 6 is supposed to be the day that the current white house occupant will be re-elected, and serve out another 4 year term.

The hope/plan is that Mike Pence will declare the November presidential election contested, which will force it into a "one-state one-vote" runoff, which will hand Drumpf the white house.

Despite the snark in this thread's title and OP, I'm hoping for actual discussion about the subject: does anyone think it's likely that the current VP is going to declare the election contested?
The talk seems to be that he will not. His legal team has advised him that such an act would be unconstitutional on his behalf (so I read).

The interesting thing is the way that following the constitution will set him up in opposition to Trumpites.

Whateverman

The talk seems to be that he will not. His legal team has advised him that such an act would be unconstitutional on his behalf (so I read).

The interesting thing is the way that following the constitution will set him up in opposition to Trumpites.
I think it's unlikely for several reasons, but if the last 5 years have taught me anything, it's to not rely too heavily on the good intentions and common sense of the American voter/politician...

Gus Bovona

I'm not aware that the Constitution gives the presiding officer of the Senate that discretion or power.

ETA: The 12th Amendment says that if no one has a majority of electoral college votes, then it goes to the House by state delegation. But it doesn't give Pence the ability to decide whether there is a majority or not.

Whateverman

I'm not aware that the Constitution gives the presiding officer of the Senate that discretion or power.

ETA: The 12th Amendment says that if no one has a majority of electoral college votes, then it goes to the House by state delegation. But it doesn't give Pence the ability to decide whether there is a majority or not.
Whether they're right or not, this is what I'm referring to:

As president of the Senate, Pence will chair the proceedings, and many prominent conservatives now argue that the Constitution grants the vice president the power to unilaterally accept or reject the presidential election results from any state he chooses.

Whateverman

His role, as spelled out in the constitution and the US code, is limited. He has no power to object to any state's count. It requires one Member of Congress and one Senator to object, in writing to any given count. His role is basically that of a glorified accountant taking the tally.
I'm not endorsing the opinions I linked to, but instead merely note their existence, to put the thread into perspective. Some conservatives think differently than you (and I) do, and not being a constitutional scholar, the idea that Pence could instigate a political coup makes me want to pay close attention to what happens on January 6.

Michael R2

I'm not endorsing the opinions I linked to, but instead merely note their existence, to put the thread into perspective. Some conservatives think differently than you (and I) do, and not being a constitutional scholar, the idea that Pence could instigate a political coup makes me want to pay close attention to what happens on January 6.
Oh, I'll be watching. I would like to see if Pence has the same sense of decorum Biden showed when he certified Trump's win.