The Last Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semmelweis Reflex

I was raised in an atheist/irreligious household. In the summer of 1993 I became a Bible believer when I began an intense study of the collection of books due to a loathing of Christianity. Growing up I was an avid reader and since the Jehovah's Witnesses had been leaving books with my mom since I was very young, books that she never read and simply dumped in the back of a closet, I had saved them over the years along with a KJV and NWT. I learned the Bible from those and became a believer. This only magnified my loathing for Christianity due to the adoption, over time, of pagan nonsense in the guise of Christianity. (2 Timothy 4:3-4)

I got online in 1995 and discovered online forums on the subject of the Watchtower. The Watchtower Observer and The Watchtower Review. The Observer was an expose on the Watchtower by Kent Steinhaug, an ex-JW atheist and the Review was a Christian forum by Larry Ingram, an ex-JW turned Christian. Some time late in 1995 - early 1996 a young Christian named Matt Slick read my posting on the Review and invited me to his new forum, CARM. Back then discussion boards were very different. You simply put your name and email (optional and not recommended) on a form much like a modern contact form, a simple Matt Wright forum. No account, no password, no overly complicated format.

As I recall I posted here briefly but preferred debate with atheists and at the time had realized that posting on a forum was temporal. Worldly and temporary. I was apolitical and irreligious and much more interested in the Bible than Christian theology. I also wanted to archive my own stuff on my own website. Over the years I posted on many atheist forums as they got meaner and more intolerant. Back then Atheist vs. Theist forums were plentiful; sometime during the early 21st century these types of forums began to rapidly decline. I personally think that people began to see the obvious fact that they weren't serving the utopian science atheist cause or working for God, but rather their own ego and ideological fixation that was actually nothing more than a sociopolitical frustration with occidental theocracy. The apostle Paul calls this internal debate externalized an operation of error.

I watched CARM over the years, though, as it changed. Quite remarkably so. Looking over the rules I can see it's history form in my mind's eye. All the while working on other things. I remember Elf - does anyone here remember the Elf? While the atheists have been left with relatively few places to gather like sharks awaiting scapegoats, fresh blood to sacrifice to their ideology and aforementioned sociopolitical frustration - Christendom the JW's call it - here is the theistic alternative. Cancel culture before it manifested itself so painfully obvious in the secular world. Disagreement is blasphemy, or as Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamus said: in regione caecorum rex est luscus. In the land of the blind the one eyed man is king.

so what’s the ‘last stand’?
One final attempt to discuss the Bible reasonably. Since no one has the same perspective I have on the Bible I'm not looking for agreement, but to learn the perspective of others on the subject of the Bible. Not from an ideological or doctrinal argument - a difficult thing to avoid for all of us. Just to learn and share. I love discussing the Bible, but that aspect of it doesn't appeal to me as it once did. I'm not optimistic and I'm being frank about it.

One final attempt to discuss the Bible reasonably. Since no one has the same perspective I have on the Bible I'm not looking for agreement, but to learn the perspective of others on the subject of the Bible. Not from an ideological or doctrinal argument - a difficult thing to avoid for all of us. Just to learn and share. I love discussing the Bible, but that aspect of it doesn't appeal to me as it once did. I'm not optimistic and I'm being frank about it.
Consider it is not an accident that amaziahs push a tradition of willful mutilating of His Words to us so everything ends up half wrong = so no one will understand.

This is the introduction board only. If you want to discuss the bible, you can go to the theology forums to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back