The life preserver analogy

SovereignGrace

I've heard this analogy for years, decades, and at one time I did believe it to be true. But as God has blessed me to mature in my Christian walk via sanctification of the Holy Spirit, I renounced my belief and now reject it.

The reason why I bring this up is because as I was thinking today about that analogy, this came to my mind. If someone has a friend drowning and they can swim, it would be a cruel thing to just throw them a life preserver when they could swim out there and save them without using it. God doesn't throw out a life preserver hoping we will take ahold of it, seeing we are already dead and drowned in the depths of the water, unable to grab it. God swims out and rescues us.

So, why throw the life preserver when you can swim? :unsure:

PeanutGallery

... seeing we are already dead and drowned in the depths of the water, unable to grab it. God swims out and rescues us.

Whether God swims or throws a preserver does not bring to life a dead and drowned person.

SovereignGrace

Yet it is He who does this "For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes."[John 5:21]

PeanutGallery

Yet it is He who does this "For just as the Father raises the dead and gives them life, even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes."[John 5:21]
You needed to include "and gives them life" in your analogy; neither the swimming nor the preserver gives life.

Base12

Reminds me of this verse...

Daniel 3:25
"He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God."

The Son of God was right there with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed–nego to protect and rescue them personally.

eternomade

Amen!

Consider the woman in Mark chapter 5. She had a blood problem for 12 years. She was most likely Jewish, and considered unclean because of the law in Leviticus 15. If she had children, she could not hug them. She had no money. She had nothing.

Not only was her blood making her physically unclean, but she had a spiritual sickness also making her spiritually unclean, like anyone else in creation.

This is what Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus about. He said you must be born again. Most of the pelagian/semi pelagian or no different than Pharisees. They put their faith in their faith. They bring it to the table. Here it is Jesus. The offense of the cross.

ReverendRV

Amen!

Consider the woman in Mark chapter 5. She had a blood problem for 12 years. She was most likely Jewish, and considered unclean because of the law in Leviticus 15. If she had children, she could not hug them. She had no money. She had nothing.

Not only was her blood making her physically unclean, but she had a spiritual sickness also making her spiritually unclean, like anyone else in creation.

This is what Jesus was speaking to Nicodemus about. He said you must be born again. Most of the pelagian/semi pelagian or no different than Pharisees. They put their faith in their faith. They bring it to the table. Here it is Jesus. The offense of the cross.
Woman with blood - by ReverendRV

Hebrews 9:22 KJV
; And according to the law almost all things are purified with blood, and without shedding of blood there is no remission.

I know someone who is concerned that he might not be Saved because he may have not believed correctly, and worries that all he's done would have been in vain; ‘he was just playing church’. In response to him, I brought up the example from the Bible of a woman who had an issue of blood for 12 years. She had suffered a great deal under the care of many doctors who could not heal her and had spent all she had, yet instead of getting better she grew worse. She had heard about Jesus, so she came up behind him through the crowd and touched his robe. She thought to herself, "If I can just touch his robe, I will be healed". Immediately the fountain of her blood was dried up, and she felt in her body that she was healed of the affliction. Jesus realized at once that healing power had gone out from him, so he turned around in the crowd and asked, "Who touched my robe?" Then the frightened woman, trembling at the realization of what had happened to her, came and fell to her knees in front of him and told him what she had done. And he said to her, ‘Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace; your suffering is over.’

When a person is trying to please God in hopes that their own efforts will satisfy him, this is like trying to remit your Sins with your own issue of blood. A person’s own blood is defiled because they themselves need purification. A person like this can spend all their resources and all their lives reaching out to ‘Doctors of the Soul’ who cannot heal them; who will only want to make merchandise of them. When they come to an end of themselves, they will go to Jesus Christ who is ‘the Great Physician of the Soul’! His services are free and when you come to him, you no longer issue proverbial blood from your body as a sacrifice for your Sin; it dries up. All this is true; but there is still no remission without blood. ~ The Old Testament of the Bible tells us about times Priests would offer sacrifices to God. These sacrifices were instated because of the Sin of the people for breaking the Laws which God had given them. The people Lied, committed Adultery, and made Idols to other gods. God would forgive them; but Moses heard from God concerning how the LORD wanted to be approached. ~ Chapter 16 in the book of Leviticus describes how this was to take place. The Priest would take two goats for sacrifice and would cast lots between them. Because of this, one goat would be sacrificed and the other goat would be a scapegoat, which was sent away from the people; symbolically bearing their Sin burden away. The blood of the sacrificed goat would represent Atonement for their Sins and they would be clean in the sight of God that day. Moses instituted this sacrifice as a yearly ordinance…

John the Baptist said while speaking of Jesus, “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” God intended that the old sacrificial system represent the coming of Jesus Christ. He was nailed to a Cross and shed his blood as a sacrifice for your Sin. The Prophet Isaiah said, ‘When you make his soul a sacrifice for Sin, God shall see the labor of his soul and be satisfied’. Shedding the blood of a lamb was only temporary as a ritual and was repeated annually; Jesus was sacrificed once for all. Not only is Jesus our sacrificial lamb but he is also our scapegoat who bore our Sins on the cross. ~ We are forgiven by the Grace of God through Faith in Jesus Christ as our risen Lord God and Savior; apart from our paying with our own Life’s blood. Your suffering is over, we do NOT pay our own way to Heaven; stop spending all you have and just trust Jesus…

Romans 10:11 KJV; For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes on Him will not be put to shame."

PeanutGallery

Amen!

Consider the woman in Mark chapter 5. She had a blood problem for 12 years. She was most likely Jewish, and considered unclean because of the law in Leviticus 15. If she had children, she could not hug them. She had no money. She had nothing. ...
She was not dead; she was alive turning to the Lord for deliverance.

PeanutGallery

Reminds me of this verse...

Daniel 3:25
"He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God."

The Son of God was right there with Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed–nego to protect and rescue them personally.
They were not dead; they were alive and committed their lives to their God.

ReverendRV

They were not dead; they were alive and committed their lives to their God.
Everyone who believes is Alive. Grace is to be Presumed to have prevened Faith to make a 'real' difference in our Salvation; or you're saying you're Saved by your very own Prevenient Faith which is as a filthy rag and full of Dead-Man's bones...

Last edited:

Carbon

I've heard this analogy for years, decades, and at one time I did believe it to be true. But as God has blessed me to mature in my Christian walk via sanctification of the Holy Spirit, I renounced my belief and now reject it.

The reason why I bring this up is because as I was thinking today about that analogy, this came to my mind. If someone has a friend drowning and they can swim, it would be a cruel thing to just throw them a life preserver when they could swim out there and save them without using it. God doesn't throw out a life preserver hoping we will take ahold of it, seeing we are already dead and drowned in the depths of the water, unable to grab it. God swims out and rescues us.

The life preserver analogy is a great analogy! It really is.
It’s one of the best for all those who have to have something to do with their salvation. The person who came up with it, if he’s or she is still alive, should be a billionaire! Humanists really owe him big time.

Carbon

I really love the sick analogy as well.
Ever since Adam and Eve ate the forbidden fruit, we been sick.
Sickness has passed down to all of Adan’s posterity. Did God say, you may eat of any tree of the garden but one particular? For in the day you eat of it you shall surely be sick, and not only that but everyone ever born will become sick.
Yea, sure He did. 😩

Granted, some are a little sicker than others. Some very sick, others just a cold. But where all sick.

The only way to cure yourself is to make a decision. Yes, a decision. You have to say, yes I decide to have faith. And once you do, guess what? Your not sick anymore. Isn’t that wonderful?

ReverendRV

I personally don't Mind the Life Preserver Analogy, because I know that anyone who can swim has been Regenerated...

It's easy. You find someone to Witness to; and you do it. The person Repents and Believes; what do we think happened? We think the person was Born Again, and reached out for Jesus the Life Saver. We should LOVE the Life Preserver Analogy. Of course that person was Dead in his Trespasses and Sins; the emphasis is on the word "was"...

What are we really doing here; what's going on?

Last edited:

Carbon

I personally don't Mind the Life Preserver Analogy, because I know that anyone who can swim has been Regenerated...
But if they can swim, why a life preserver?
It's easy. You find someone to Witness to; and you do it. The person Repents and Believes; what do we think happened? We think the person was Born Again, and reached out for Jesus the Life Saver. We should LOVE the Life Preserver Analogy.
I believe it to be misleading. And a distortion of the gospel.
Besides, the gospel doesn’t need human analogies for help. It does absolutely fine.
What are we really doing here; what's going on?
What do you mean?

ReverendRV

But if they can swim, why a life preserver?

I believe it to be misleading. And a distortion of the gospel.
Besides, the gospel doesn’t need human analogies for help. It does absolutely fine.

What do you mean?
Because the person is Regenerated but not Justified; even though we can swim after Regeneration, we still can't get on the ship without the Life Saver. In Logical Order we're Born Again before we Believe. But in the Temporal Order they are simultaneous...

ReverendRV

Acts 17:27 is the Life Preserver Analogy...

God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us.

You and I go out two-by-two to Witness in front of a crowd. We preach Sin and Salvation; some people Repent and Believe, but of course most don't. You and I know exactly what happened; those who Believed were Born Again first. Every time you've ever won a Soul, you threw a Gospel Life Preserver to a Spiritually Alive person that reached out.

Titanic draws a picture of this. The Dead and the Alive are in the water; only the Alive wanted to get Saved. Biblically speaking, everyone was dead; but some were Regenerated to New Life. All who reach out to Jesus the Life Saver were first made Alive...

It's going to be okay...

Last edited:

Carbon

Because the person is Regenerated but not Justified; even though we can swim after Regeneration, we still can't get on the ship without the Life Saver. In Logical Order we're Born Again before we Believe. But in the Temporal Order they are simultaneous...
But after regeneration (God giving life to a dead man), don’t He pick them right up? And so to speak, place then on the ship?

Would God leave them swimming in the water until they make a profession of faith? When it’s infallible that they will because this new (life) person possesses faith/belief?
Or does God wait to completely save man until he does his part?