The Messiah and the 3 days and 3 nights timeframe of Matthew 12:40?

There is much. Google is about the most simple and you can find an overwhelming amount there. I also put much stock in "Young's Literal Translation" as he translated against his own theology (Presbyterian) in the pursuit of accuracy. He lost some friendships (it is said) because of that. That tells me he was very honest in his work and translation.

I also follow "Torah Times" for the Hebrew angle and "Daniel" (publisher and author) has shown to be very knowledgeable on this particular subject:

You are correct..........it is all tradition.... and probably never will be done away with.

Well.....you can call it spurious and silly if it seems that way to you. I don't mind as I know the difficulty in realizing error from childhood is a difficult thing to overcome. And......I'm not the least bit clever. I just read what I see......and use common sense.

It makes me wonder why folks believe our Savior would want to associate Himself with pagan idolatry. Would He (and His Father) not think the Sabbath would be appropriate for His resurrection?

Yup.....you dealt with it to the best of your ability.

My friend.....this is going nowhere....but I wish you well and appreciate your comments. I'll step aside so others may join the discussion without my interference. If you think I'm running away.......that's also O.K. as I understand your frustration.

Blessings to your home....and all within.
It is so very hard to let go of tradition.

Your thesis is beautifully logical and transgresses not a whit the Scriptures.
The first time I read it, I was struck by how stuck my mind had been to that point.

Of course, the heart of the earth is the grave. It’s poetic.
Never in a million years would I have thought to look for an answer as I was unaware of the question.
I’ll state here that I don’t believe the issue to be one of salvific import, but my Creator came alive again as I studied closely, looking for the error that must obviously be there and not finding it.
There are a lot of wonderful and not so wonderful stories in the church that aren’t there in the scriptures.

What do you think would happen if you started a question regarding the scriptural evidence for five crosses on Golgotha?

May your new year be better than your old year, henceforth forevermore.
Peace and greetings to you and family. I will continue to praise YHWH for His oversight and blessings of you and yours
today and tomorrow

Last edited:
It is so very hard to let go of tradition.

Your thesis is beautifully logical and transgresses not a whit the Scriptures.
The first time I read it, I was struck by how stuck my mind had been to that point.

Of course, the heart of the earth is the grave. It’s poetic.
Never in a million years would I have thought to look for an answer as I was unaware of the question.
I’ll state here that I don’t believe the issue to be one of salvific import, but my Creator came alive again as I studied closely, looking for the error that must obviously be there and not finding it.
There are a lot of wonderful and not so wonderful stories in the church that aren’t there in the scriptures.

What do you think would happen if you started a question regarding the scriptural evidence for five crosses on Golgotha?

May your new year be better than your old year, henceforth forevermore.
Peace and greetings to you and family. I will continue to praise YHWH for His oversight and blessings of you and yours
today and tomorrow
Thank you for your very kind words.

Yes......the three crosses on Golgotha are also just tradition and Satan has made sure that this very obvious error has become a major symbol of world wide Christianity. It is what he does best.......fooling folks into an inaccurate story and tweaking the facts.

Again, our Savior's main word of warning to us has always been false tradition.

Again, our Savior's main word of warning to us has always been false tradition.
No. The main word of warning has always been as to false Messiahs who promote themselves over others and over Christ and lead people astray. "God forbid that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ," Galatians 6:14, said Paul, but others glory in esoteric "knowledge" that they pretend is superior to that of others.

KJV [Matthew 28:1-2] In the end of the sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, came Mary Magdalene and the other Mary to see the sepulchre. And, behold, there was a great earthquake: for the angel of the Lord descended from heaven, and came and rolled back the stone from the door, and sat upon it.

The above is what was rendered by King James and the Church of England.....shortly removed from the tentacles of Catholicism. Unfortunately, Martin Luther, being the anti-semetic he was......agreed with his previous church that absolutely nothing good could come of honoring Yahweh's Sabbaths in any form whatsoever. So.....he bought into the Sunday Fairy tale which has no biblical backing whatsoever........ if you check the Greek language.....that is.

The other gospels were rendered the same by the obedient translators.

[Mark 16:2] And very early in the morning the first day of the week, they came unto the sepulchre at the rising of the sun.

[Luke 24:1] Now upon the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they came unto the sepulchre, bringing the spices which they had prepared, and certain others with them.

[John 20:1] The first day of the week cometh Mary Magdalene early, when it was yet dark, unto the sepulchre, and seeth the stone taken away from the sepulchre.

I have highlighted the addition to scripture in the form of day. It does not exist in the original manuscripts and was added by Catholic translators to embolden their case for a Sunday resurrection. If you check your KJV you'll see that it is italicized for that reason.

Robert Young was the most important Hebrew/Greek scholar of the 19th century and published some very concise works....among which is Young's Analytical Concordance to the Bible.....found in any major library, secular or religious. He also published the Hebrew/Greek Literal Language bible.....considered his foremost literal work.

YLT/LIteral Hebrew [Leviticus 23:15-16]`And ye have numbered to you from the morrow of the sabbath, from the day of your bringing in the sheaf of the wave-offering: they are seven perfect sabbaths, unto the morrow of the seventh sabbath ye do number fifty days, and ye have brought near a new present to Jehovah;

The above passage is in relation to verse 5: in the first month, on the fourteenth of the month, between the evenings, [is] the passover to Jehovah;

After Passover the Count of the Omer requires numbering and observing each weekly Sabbath in the march to Shavuot (Pentecost/The giving of the Law).....first Sabbath, second Sabbath, third Sabbath etc.

YLT [Matthew 28:1-2] And on the eve of the sabbaths, at the dawn, toward the first of the sabbaths, came Mary the Magdalene, and the other Mary, to see the sepulchre,
YLT [Mark 16:2] and early in the morning of the first of the sabbaths, they come unto the sepulchre, at the rising of the sun,
YLT [Luke 24:1] And on the first of the sabbaths, at early dawn, they came to the tomb, bearing the spices they made ready, and certain [others] with them,
YLT [John 20:1] And on the first of the sabbaths, Mary the Magdalene doth come early (there being yet darkness) to the tomb, and she seeth the stone having been taken away out of the tomb,

Now you must ask yourself.............why didn't the Greek use the word EBDOMADOS (which means week in Greek) instead of Sabbaths? When you realize the lengths the early Catholic Church was willing to go to to besmirch anything that smacked of Hebraisms of any sort......you wonder.

Here is Jerome's Vulgate for [Matthew 28:1] vespere autem sabbati quae lucescit in "primam sabbati" venit Maria Magdalene et altera Maria videre sepulchrum

Jerome wrote his "Vulgate" (4th century A.D.) before the Catholic Church changed the words to reflect a "Sunday" morning affair. Do you see the actual Latin words for "First Sabbath"? The "First Day of the Week" entered the Lexicon because of Catholicisms desire to honor their Sun god......and for no other reason. Foolish Protestants should by now......know better. Your Savior resurrected on the first Sabbath after Passover in the 50 day count to Pentecost and the tomb was empty when the women visited at Sabbath daybreak.
Young just transliterated sabbaths rather than translate it into English so it doesn't add much to the discussion in terms of understanding.

The missing interim step in the interpretation you offer is the LXX, a pre-incarnation Greek translation of the Bible and some other works.

It is only a translation, but it provides evidence of how Hebrew was translated into Greek before the time of the NT. In the instances where the NT author's cited that Greek translation those passages received a defacto Greek canonical status. The penman of the NT were often not reinventing the wheel in this regard.

As a point of comparison, check out the use of μιαν article plural genitive in the LXX and some of the common English translations of those passages.

For what it is worth, I think Lampe's (sp?) Greek lexical work in the context of pre NT use and post NT ECF use is available on the net.

In another post you referred to your app. Do you mind posting which app that is?

Back