The Mosaic Law and Keeping the Commandments

dberrie2020

Perfect example....

I refute the poster with three Bible passages, and he IGNORES them and deflects to his OWN proof-text. He wants to have total control over the discussion, so that he can put us on the defensive, and try to get away from addressing the passages WE bring up.

Sorry, that's not how it works.

Address the passages you RAN AWAY from:

Rom. 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Gal. 3:24
So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,

Gal. 5:18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.
Again--how are you relating the Mosaic Law--to the commandment to keep the commandments?

1 John 2:3-4---King James Version (KJV)
3 And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments.
4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

Matthew 19:16-19---King James Version (KJV)
16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

1 Corinthians 7:19---King James Version (KJV)

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

Revelation 22:14--King James Version (KJV)
14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

John 14:15--King James Version (KJV)
15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.

Revelation 12:17--King James Version (KJV)
17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

1 John 5:3--King James Version (KJV)
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

1 John 3:24--King James Version (KJV)
24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

John 14:21---King James Version (KJV)
21, He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Theo1689

Again--how are you relating the Mosaic Law--to the commandment to keep the commandments?

4 He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him.

16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?
17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.
18 He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness,
19 Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

19 Circumcision is nothing, and uncircumcision is nothing, but the keeping of the commandments of God.

14 Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city.

17 And the dragon was wroth with the woman, and went to make war with the remnant of her seed, which keep the commandments of God, and have the testimony of Jesus Christ.

3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.

24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

21, He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

So when are you going to stop RUNNING AWAY from the following, dberrie?:

Rom. 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,

dberrie2020

So when are you going to stop RUNNING AWAY from the following, dberrie?:

How are you relating any of that to the commandment to keep the commandments? What do you feel is the relationship between your scriptures--and the command to keep the commandments?

Theo1689

How are you relating any of that to the commandment to keep the commandments? What do you feel is the relationship between your scriptures--and the command to keep the commandments?

As long as you keep DODGING and RUNNING AWAY from the Bible, I will continue to put your feet to the fire:

Gal. 3:24 So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,

dberrie2020

As long as you keep DODGING and RUNNING AWAY from the Bible, I will continue to put your feet to the fire:
The last time I checked--the Book of John was in the Bible:

Gal. 3:24 So then, the law was our guardian until Christ came, in order that we might be justified by faith. 25 But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian,

And your point is?

Theo--how are you relating that to the command to keep the commandments? That's all I'm trying to discover, IE--what you think the relationship is to your above verses--and the command to keep the commandments?

Theo1689

That's all I'm trying to discover,

I really don't CARE what you're "trying to discover".

You want to be in 100% total control over the discussion.
You want to give everyone else the "3rd degree", and avoid answering questions yourself.
Sorry, that's NOT how it works.

If you want people to answer your questions, you need to answer their questions as well.
But like I said, I thank you for your participation here, as it shows everyone how evil Mormonism is.

Hawkeye

One of the most misunderstood doctrines of scripture is that Yahweh gave two (2) Laws to the children of Israel. Only one was ever referred to as the Law of Moses. Both contained the Ten Commandments.....so to say that they are not important to Yahweh and his children is to ignore scripture.

Yes....the Law of Moses was cancelled out by Yeshua's sacrifice on Golgotha....but Yahweh's Law stands forever.

This is why there is so much confusion with regards to the Law. When you read that the Law is good and then in the next book read that the Law is no longer necessary.....make sure you understand which Law scripture speaks of.

[Deuteronomy 29:1] These [are] the words of the covenant which Jehovah hath commanded Moses to make with the sons of Israel in the land of Moab, apart from the covenant which He made with them in Horeb.

Horeb.....meaning Mount Sinai in the desert 40 years earlier.... shortly after leaving Egypt and slavery.

The Book of Deuteronomy was named by the compilers of the Septuagint when they noticed two distinctive, separate Laws in the book. This compilation was in Greek and the Greek for "Two Laws" is DEUTER NOMOS". Previously....the Hebrews had referred to this scripture as Davarim (words).

dberrie2020

One of the most misunderstood doctrines of scripture is that Yahweh gave two (2) Laws to the children of Israel. Only one was ever referred to as the Law of Moses. Both contained the Ten Commandments.....so to say that they are not important to Yahweh and his children is to ignore scripture.

Yes....the Law of Moses was cancelled out by Yeshua's sacrifice on Golgotha....but Yahweh's Law stands forever.

This is why there is so much confusion with regards to the Law. When you read that the Law is good and then in the next book read that the Law is no longer necessary.....make sure you understand which Law scripture speaks of.
I believe that is a good point.

Gary Mac

[Deuteronomy 29:1] These [are] the words of the covenant which Jehovah hath commanded Moses to make with the sons of Israel in the land of Moab, apart from the covenant which He made with them in Horeb.

Horeb.....meaning Mount Sinai in the desert 40 years earlier.... shortly after leaving Egypt and slavery.

The Book of Deuteronomy was named by the compilers of the Septuagint when they noticed two distinctive, separate Laws in the book. This compilation was in Greek and the Greek for "Two Laws" is DEUTER NOMOS". Previously....the Hebrews had referred to this scripture as Davarim (words).
The law of Moses is a religious attempt that says do this and do that,

The law of Christ is spiritual that says be as I am.

Hawkeye

I believe that is a good point.
It's not only good....it's factual.

When the Children of Israel finally left the desert after forty years they were given....and they ratified...the Law of Moses. This would guide them as a nation until Messiah. It included various regulations, washings and penalties for disobedience. It also included a Levitical Priesthood which would enforce the Law. And.....it included animal sacrifice for propitiation of sins. Here is where Moses formally introduced the descendants of the evil generation to The Law of Moses:

[Deuteronomy 1:1-5] These [are] the words which Moses hath spoken unto all Israel, beyond the Jordan, in the wilderness, in the plain over-against Suph, between Paran and Tophel, and Laban, and Hazeroth, and Di-Zahab; eleven days’ from Horeb, the way of mount Seir, unto Kadesh-Barnea. And it cometh to pass in the fortieth year, in the eleventh month, on the first of the month hath Moses spoken unto the sons of Israel according to all that Jehovah hath commanded him concerning them; after his smiting Sihon king of the Amorite who is dwelling in Heshbon, and Og king of Bashan who is dwelling in Ashtaroth in Edrei, beyond the Jordan, in the land of Moab, hath Moses begun to explain this law, saying:

They are getting ready to cross Jordan and it is 40 years after the Exodus and the giving of the Law of Yahweh on the mount. The Israelites did not keep that law and immediately sinned with the golden calf [Exodus 32:1-14] as Moses was getting the tablets from Yahweh. Yahweh was going to kill them all but Moses begged forgiveness and Yahweh relented.

This was where the Levites were set apart for a special function to emerge later on in the Law of Moses [32:25-29] as the Priesthood.

But....they sinned again by not entering the Promised Land [Numbers 13:32-33] because of their fear of the giants Yahweh then told them they would wander in the desert until everyone of them had died....and only their children would see the Promised Land [Numbers 14:20-35].

Moses then gives their children The Law of Moses on the Plains of Moab 40 years later [Deuteronomy 1:5] and this law would guide Israel until Messiah came. Two separate laws..... [Deuteronomy 31:24-27], one in the Ark (Yahweh's Law) and the other beside the Ark (The Law of Moses). The Law of Moses would be eliminated with Our Savior's sacrifice....but both Laws included the Ten Commandments.

dberrie2020

It's not only good....it's factual.

When the Children of Israel finally left the desert after forty years they were given....and they ratified...the Law of Moses. This would guide them as a nation until Messiah. It included various regulations, washings and penalties for disobedience. It also included a Levitical Priesthood which would enforce the Law. And.....it included animal sacrifice for propitiation of sins. Here is where Moses formally introduced the descendants of the evil generation to The Law of Moses:

[Deuteronomy 1:1-5] These [are] the words which Moses hath spoken unto all Israel, beyond the Jordan, in the wilderness, in the plain over-against Suph, between Paran and Tophel, and Laban, and Hazeroth, and Di-Zahab; eleven days’ from Horeb, the way of mount Seir, unto Kadesh-Barnea. And it cometh to pass in the fortieth year, in the eleventh month, on the first of the month hath Moses spoken unto the sons of Israel according to all that Jehovah hath commanded him concerning them; after his smiting Sihon king of the Amorite who is dwelling in Heshbon, and Og king of Bashan who is dwelling in Ashtaroth in Edrei, beyond the Jordan, in the land of Moab, hath Moses begun to explain this law, saying:

They are getting ready to cross Jordan and it is 40 years after the Exodus and the giving of the Law of Yahweh on the mount. The Israelites did not keep that law and immediately sinned with the golden calf [Exodus 32:1-14] as Moses was getting the tablets from Yahweh. Yahweh was going to kill them all but Moses begged forgiveness and Yahweh relented.

This was where the Levites were set apart for a special function to emerge later on in the Law of Moses [32:25-29] as the Priesthood.

But....they sinned again by not entering the Promised Land [Numbers 13:32-33] because of their fear of the giants Yahweh then told them they would wander in the desert until everyone of them had died....and only their children would see the Promised Land [Numbers 14:20-35].

Moses then gives their children The Law of Moses on the Plains of Moab 40 years later [Deuteronomy 1:5] and this law would guide Israel until Messiah came. Two separate laws..... [Deuteronomy 31:24-27], one in the Ark (Yahweh's Law) and the other beside the Ark (The Law of Moses). The Law of Moses would be eliminated with Our Savior's sacrifice....but both Laws included the Ten Commandments.
I agree with that--both laws contained the commandments.

e v e

actually the covenant was broken by the OT fathers who did not listen to Him.

Bonnie

Yes, it was broken--all the time. Which is why God sent the Judahites into exile in Chaldea for around 70 years, as punishment. And also why God said this:

Jer. 31, ESV:

The New Covenant​

31 “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32 not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord. 33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

And that new covenant is in the blood of Jesus Christ our Lord.

Hawkeye

Jeremiah 11. You can start there.
I believe you're referring to [Jeremiah 31:32] Not like the covenant that I made with their fathers, In the day of My laying hold on their hand, To bring them out of the land of Egypt, In that they made void My covenant, And I ruled over them — an affirmation of Jehovah.

So....which Covenant is this....the Moab Covenant or the Sinai Covenant? Or....when did He bring them out of the land of Egypt by laying hold of their hands?

[Judges 2:1] And an angel of the LORD came up from Gilgal to Bochim, and said, I made you to go up out of Egypt, and have brought you unto the land which I sware unto your fathers; and I said, I will never break my covenant with you.

One of the Covenants was never broken. Which one?

When He made the Sinai Covenant with Israel they were already out of the land of Egypt but after sinning at the Golden Calf event [Exodus 32] and refusing to enter the Promised Land because of the giants [Numbers 13] they were still mentally in the land of Egypt.

When He laid hold of their hands to bring them out it was after Moses had died and they were crossing Jordan. Here's what Joshua had to say:

[Joshua 5:9] And the LORD said unto Joshua, This day have I rolled away the reproach of Egypt from off you. Wherefore the name of the place is called Gilgal unto this day.

They have now crossed Jordan and are no longer under the influence of Egypt as they were for the forty years....even though they left (physically) Egypt before His Covenant with them was given on Mount Horeb in Sinai forty years earlier.

The Covenant that had been broken was the Moab Covenant made with Moses just before he died [Deuteronomy 31:9][31:25-26][Deuteronomy 34].

As The Book of Judges has confirmed.....Yahweh's Covenant would never be broken.

Two Covenants were given Israel.....the first....The Law of Yahweh [Exodus 20] and the other the Law of Moses [Deuteronomy 1:1-5]....forty years later. Our Savior's sacrifice eliminated the Law of Moses and the need for the Levitical Priesthood [Hebrews 7:11].

SteveB

Did you miss Romans 3:31,

Do we then make void the law through faith? Certainly not! On the contrary, we establish the law.

Romans 8:4-8,

4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be. 8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

and Romans 13:8-10

8 Owe no one anything except to love one another, for he who loves another has fulfilled the law. 9 For the commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not bear false witness,”[fn] “You shall not covet,”[fn] and if there is any other commandment, are all summed up in this saying, namely, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”[fn] 10 Love does no harm to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

I'm especially fond of verses 4-5 in Rom 8.

4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.

I.e., it's ONLY possible to fulfill God's Law, by walking in the Spirit, which means we have to focus our thinking on spiritual things.

Seems to me that it'd be a good idea to spend more time studying this issue.

Hawkeye

The law of Moses is a religious attempt that says do this and do that,

The law of Christ is spiritual that says be as I am.
Forgive me for waiting so long to answer.

Yes, the Law of Moses was a temporary thing which had many different commands to do this....and that....and was enforced by a "Levitical Priesthood" to insure that Israel stayed in compliance with the law. This was not Yahweh's original intent. He wanted them to be a nation of priests [Exodus 19:5-6] but soon realized they could not do this [Deuteronomy 5:29; 29:4].

Guaranteed forgiveness was also part of the Law of Moses with the appropriate sacrifice as a sin offering. Yahweh's Law likely would have guaranteed death for the same offense as the Levitical Priesthood did not yet exist. They carried Yahweh's Law in the Ark and carried the Law of Moses on its side [Deuteronomy 31:24-26].

Hebrews is one of two Biblical Books that mention an "Old Covenant" and speaks of two Covenants....the first being at fault. The word "First" also appears in verses [8:13][9:1;15;18]. The Greek is PROTE....not PROTO and means the first of two that is under discussion. This word does not refer to Yahweh's Covenant of [Exodus 20] commonly known as the Sinai Covenant as opposed to the Law of Moses which was the Moab Covenant [Deuteronomy 1:5].

The "First Covenant" mentioned in Hebrews is the Law of Moses and the writer of the book specifically identifies it as such:

[Hebrews 9:18-22] Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood. For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.

When the Law of Yahweh was ratified at Sinai there is a marked difference in the two ceremonies:

[Exodus 24:4-8] And Moses wrote all the words of the LORD, and rose up early in the morning, and builded an altar under the hill, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel. And he sent young men of the children of Israel, which offered burnt offerings, and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen unto the LORD. And Moses took half of the blood, and put it in basons; and half of the blood he sprinkled on the altar. And he took the book of the covenant, and read in the audience of the people: and they said, All that the LORD hath said will we do, and be obedient. And Moses took the blood, and sprinkled it on the people, and said, Behold the blood of the covenant, which the LORD hath made with you concerning all these words.

The reason we know Hebrews speaks of the Law of Moses is the simple fact that blood was sprinkled on the Tabernacle and the vessels of the ministry during its ratification. When the Law of Yahweh was ratified (90 days out of Egypt) the Tabernacle had not yet been built.....and would not built until the second year:

[Exodus 40:17-19] And it came to pass in the first month in the second year, on the first day of the month, that the tabernacle was reared up. And Moses reared up the tabernacle, and fastened his sockets, and set up the boards thereof, and put in the bars thereof, and reared up his pillars. And he spread abroad the tent over the tabernacle, and put the covering of the tent above upon it; as the LORD commanded Moses.

In addition....no goats were sacrificed at Sinai.

Hebrews speaks of the Old Covenant which has now passed with the giving of the New Covenant of Yeshua:

[Hebrews 7:11-12] If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron? For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Remember......There was no Levitical Priesthood set up under the Law of Yahweh. They all were to become a nation of Priests [Exodus 19:6].

e v e

Melchizedek (meaning ‘the righteous king’) represents Christ , and Hebrews 7 repeats that Abraham served Melchizedek.