Our Lord's God

Verse:
All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for.... 2 Timothy 3:16

Interpretation:
Christian: "This verse here says my whole Bible is inspired by God."

Listener:
"You mean the one sitting on your coffee table."

Christian: "Yessiree Bob!!"

This has to be one of the most preposterous interpretations of a verse ever concocted.

And what is so disturbing, they never seem to have the slightest idea why it is so ridiculously absurd.

Question begging over what is scripture. There remains a query over a few OT books such as Esther. But scripture always had a wider connotation that the "law" and "the prophets", whilst "inspired" in probably given a too restrictive meaning today. It's for the church to decide what NT books are inspired. I think they have generally made a good choice.

"Jesus also uses the common tripartite division of the Hebrew Bible to refer to the canon in Luke 24:44: “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about me in the Law of Moses, and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled “(NASB). This last designation is evidently representative of the final group of Old Testament writings, of which Psalms was the first and largest book.9 A similar designation for the Old Testament canon was in use from the time of Philo in the early first century (“[the] laws, and oracles delivered through the mouths of prophets, and psalms, and anything else which fosters and perfects knowledge and piety” [Contemp . 3 §25]) until at least the tenth century (al Masudi, an Arabian historian and geographer, describes the Hebrew canon as “the Law , the Prophets and the Psalms, which are the 24 books”).10 It is also interesting to note that Jesus quotes from each of the three p arts of Scripture as authoritative material (e.g., Law: Mt. 4:4 – Deut. 8:3; Prophets: Mt. 10:35-36 – Mic. 7:6; Writings: Mt. 13:43 – Dan. 12:3).11"​

source

Question begging over what is scripture.

Far more than that.

There remains a query over a few OT books such as Esther. But scripture always had a wider connotation that the "law" and "the prophets", whilst "inspired" in probably given a too restrictive meaning today. It's for the church to decide what NT books are inspired. I think they have generally made a good choice.

"Jesus also uses the common tripartite division of the Hebrew Bible to refer to the canon in Luke 24:44: “These are My words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things which are written about me in the Law of Moses, and the Prophets and the Psalms must be fulfilled “(NASB). This last designation is evidently representative of the final group of Old Testament writings, of which Psalms was the first and largest book.9 A similar designation for the Old Testament canon was in use from the time of Philo in the early first century (“[the] laws, and oracles delivered through the mouths of prophets, and psalms, and anything else which fosters and perfects knowledge and piety” [Contemp . 3 §25]) until at least the tenth century (al Masudi, an Arabian historian and geographer, describes the Hebrew canon as “the Law , the Prophets and the Psalms, which are the 24 books”).10 It is also interesting to note that Jesus quotes from each of the three p arts of Scripture as authoritative material (e.g., Law: Mt. 4:4 – Deut. 8:3; Prophets: Mt. 10:35-36 – Mic. 7:6; Writings: Mt. 13:43 – Dan. 12:3).11"​

source

That didn't help anything.

Back