The most important yet emptiest thread on CARM.

Woody50

I'm just sad at this. I keep trying to "get plugged in" to "Life Groups," as they call them. I don't think churches think Christian fellowship outside of a sermon is important.

Thoughts?

I'm just sad at this. I keep trying to "get plugged in" to "Life Groups," as they call them. I don't think churches think Christian fellowship outside of a sermon is important.

Thoughts?

What do you mean 'life groups' and why Home Fellowships? Why sad? If you really want other peoples' thoughts than give them something to think about beyond saying I don't think churches think Christian fellowship outside of a sermon is important. If not you are simply leaving others to press a single point. The House Church movement is mostly hidden and the pulpit is the only part of other churches that is visible.

Last edited:
What do you mean 'life groups' and why Home Fellowships?
You don't know?
Great point. Very, very good point.
If you really want other peoples' thoughts than give them something to think about beyond saying I don't think churches think Christian fellowship outside of a sermon is important.
Then
If not you are simply leaving others to press a single point.
Or I just want to "plug in."
The House Church movement is mostly hidden and the pulpit is the only part of other churches that is visible.
So, it's up to Christ in me to fulfill Hebrews 10:24-25.

I agree.

I need to get to work.

Thoughts?
The Assemblies of God were deathly AFRAID of "Small Groups", because they saw them as Hotbeds of ERROR, and a THREAT to the unity of the Denominational "Official beliefs". Now they have them, but generally under tight pastoral control, and generally limited to discussions of the last sermon -

The Assemblies of God were deathly AFRAID of "Small Groups", because they saw them as Hotbeds of ERROR, and a THREAT to the unity of the Denominational "Official beliefs". Now they have them, but generally under tight pastoral control, and generally limited to discussions of the last sermon -
No encouragement of Berean behavior from the AoG, huh?

And what has any of this got to do with Home Fellowships. Denominational Churches are by very definition likely to be cited in Church Buildings - not the home. Home groups in denominational environments are likely to be prayer groups or mid week meetings and the like - whether under a pastor or otherwise supervised by the eldership (In the UK at least). What they are not, however, are Home Fellowships. Please forgive me for being rational. Its just an inclination I have to be rational with words before venturing off into an entirely different topic and making like a rational man.

Last edited:
And what has any of this got to do with Home Fellowships. Denominational Churches are by very definition likely to be cited in Church Buildings - not the home. Home groups in denominational environments are likely to be prayer groups or mid week meetings and the like - whether under a pastor or otherwise supervised by the eldership (In the UK at least). What they are not, however, are Home Fellowships. Please forgive me for being rational. Its just an inclination I have to be rational with words before venturing off into an entirely different topic and making like a rational man.
BUT - during the Charismatic ourpouring ('63-'78 or so) The CHURCH was home groups, since the denominational churches were threatened by the Charismatics - PARTICULARLY the fundy groups, who thought they already KNEW IT ALL. The Pentecostals rejected the Charismatics because they weren't "Clotheline Holy" enough to suit 'em. BUt when the Outpouring ended around '78, MANY Charismatics (like me) flowed back into the Pentecostal groups, and changed 'em sugnificantly The Liberals were more accepting (since they didn't have "hard beliefs" to begin with). Even the Catholics were blessed by it by the droves.

The church I attend finds home/life groups critical to Christian discipleship. It is based upon 1. relationship with Jesus and 2. relationships with each other helping each member "do life" biblically with support from other members. No lone ranger Christians.

People get plugged in and learn how to establish relationships that are more than just superficial. Deep friendships form and folks can speak truth in a biblical way. This is how discipleship occurs. Groups vary from couples groups, to men's, women's, singles, special activities (auto restoration), etc. Those in specialty groups are encouraged to also be in a regular life group. Sermons can be discussed with questions posed each week but the object is to apply what was taught to day-to-day life. It isn't about information but transformation. Groups eventually replicate and discipleship continues. Our group has done the questions and also done specific book studies to apply to our daily lives.

Pastors are involved in life groups and do not lead them but function as members of the body. New leaders develop this way.

This has worked well. The bottom line is to make biblical disciples of Jesus in relational environments as He did with the apostles and disciples in the early church. Sometimes it gets messy.

Thoughts?

My experience with small connect groups is very positive. Even if the subject matter drifts from the sermon, the heart of matters discussed in groups is mainly provided from the Bible. Asking people to pray with you and for you is a wonderful attribute of meeting with people that share the same experiences with a larger denomination.

"Plans fail when there is no counsel, but with abundant advisers, they are established." Proverbs 15:22 NET

Here is a brief introduction for "connect groups" from my other church when living in Albuquerque:

Last edited:

Thoughts?
The Denominational church is DEATHLY AFRAID of Home meetings, since they're concerned about people discussing things and coming to conclusions from the Bible and their own experiences that may run counter to the Denominational "Company Line". They want a "trusted Staff presence", and want to ONLY discuss the last sermon from the pastoral staff. During the Charismatic outpouring, the Home Groups were the life blood of what the Holy Spirit was doing, and "Denominational theology" became supremely unimportant for a while since we were experiencing something much higher, and more significant.

Thoughts?
Why do people need to have the church organise Christian fellowship outside of the church? I mean I have always had friends around, been in small group prayer groups, had meals with a few where discussion is about God and the things of God.

The Denominational church is DEATHLY AFRAID of Home meetings, since they're concerned about people discussing things and coming to conclusions from the Bible and their own experiences that may run counter to the Denominational "Company Line". They want a "trusted Staff presence", and want to ONLY discuss the last sermon from the pastoral staff. During the Charismatic outpouring, the Home Groups were the life blood of what the Holy Spirit was doing, and "Denominational theology" became supremely unimportant for a while since we were experiencing something much higher, and more significant.

Wow. The differences in our involvement in various connect groups, life groups, or home group meetings are polar opposite. I never observed denominational -deathly afraid- or please comply with the denominational -company line - or else. That is a different world. In fact, although some disagreed with various interpretations of scripture or what was said during a sermon, people were always friendly, cordial, and hoping to see each other on a regular basis.

My first Angus burger was at a connect group, and it was delicious.

Last edited:
Why do people need to have the church organise Christian fellowship outside of the church? I mean I have always had friends around, been in small group prayer groups, had meals with a few where discussion is about God and the things of God.
Love the question.

No scriptural support for it, and from my experience, the local churches suck at coordinating it.

Great point.

Thoughts?
Sure we do. But what exactly do you mean by "life groups"? Before Covid, our church had fellowship after church before Bible class, and at Wednesday night bible class, we had a light dinner and fellowship before proceeding to the study. So, not sure what you mean here.

Sure we do. But what exactly do you mean by "life groups"? Before Covid, our church had fellowship after church before Bible class, and at Wednesday night bible class, we had a light dinner and fellowship before proceeding to the study. So, not sure what you mean here.
So you just resort on people for fellowship?

I know your sort.

Back