The nature of faith.

Carbon

Scripture speaks of four kinds of faith, historical, temporal, miraculous and saving faith.

Historical faith: Pertains to the knowledge of the history of the word of God. It acknowledges and embraces this as truth. Those however, who have such faith are not exorcized with these matters; they have no more effect upon such persons than secular history. It does not stir them within, and sometimes it does not even solicit a confession of truth.
19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! James 2.
27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you believe.” Acts 26.

Temporal faith:
Is a knowledge of, and assent to, evangelical truth as being veritable. It generates some natural motions within the affections of the soul, a confession of these truths with the church, and external behavior which is consistent with their confession - however, all this without being united to Christ unto justification , sanctification, and salvation. The following passages speak of such faith.
20 As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. Matt 13.

4 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. Heb 6.

20 For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 2 Peter 2.

Miraculous faith: miraculous faith is a heart felt conviction generated by the immediate operation of God, that a supernatural act will either occur due to a command given by us, or will be wrought upon us. However, the power for the execution of miracles is not to be found in man, but God executes them by His omnipotent power in response to this faith. This is to be observed in the following passages.
20 He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” Matt 17.

2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 1 Cor 13.
9 He listened to Paul speaking. And Paul, looking intently at him and seeing that he had faith to be made well, 10 said in a loud voice, “Stand upright on your feet.” And he sprang up and began walking. Acts 14.

Saving faith: First, prior to believing, it is through the preaching of the Word that there is engendered in man a conviction of his miserable condition in himself, and dissatisfaction and perplexity concerning his condition in reference to both his sinfulness and his guilt. This transpires with more or less emotion, in either a legal or an evangelical manner. He perceives himself to be separated from God, and understands that his salvation consists of being united to Him and in the enjoyment of His favor. He finds solution neither within himself nor with any other creature as to how he will satisfy the justice of God and acquire a perfect righteousness. He hears mention made of Jesus Christ as Surety, and begins to become acquainted with Him in His natures, offices, humiliation, and exaltation, becoming desirous to have Him as his Surety.
Secondly, he becomes acquainted with the offer of Christ in a general sense, but also in a specific sense, that is, that Christ is also offered to him, for he hears the gospel in which He is offered to everyone. No one is excluded, for whosoever will may come, and to this the promise is annexed that whoever comes will in no wise be cast out. He believes all this to be infallibly true, and rejoices that God has designed such a way of salvation, as well as that this way is made known to him. He approves of this way with his entire heart, and wishes to be saved in that way and in none other, there being no other way. With Peter he says, 68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” John 6.
Thirdly, he becomes hungry and thirsty. He becomes very desirous to become a partaker of Christ and all His benefits, to be reconciled to God through Him, and to walk with Him is peace, love, humility, and obedience. His desire is: Oh, that I had Christ, that I had reconciliation, and that I had Spirit and life! Thus Christ is precious to him.
7 So the honor is for you who believe, but for those who do not believe,

“The stone that the builders rejected
has become the cornerstone,”
1Peter 2.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Matt 5.

Fourthly, he turns to Christ, and takes refuge in Him. ................
Fifthly, as he thus wrestles, he receives liberty to receive Him by faith. He knows himself to destitute, and he perceives Jesus as suitable, fully sufficient, willing, truthful, offering Himself, and promising that no one will be cast out who comes to Him. He receives Him, accepts His offer and invitation, and with all his heart he gives Him his hand, heart - yes, everything. He ponders at times whether the Lord Jesus would be willing to accept him as he is willing to have Him, for then he would certainly be saved. "Yes," he continues. "Jesus is willing, yes, more willing than I am, for He Himself takes the initiative, presents Himself, invites me, and He Himself draws me. While thus wrestling, he surrenders himself. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, John 1.

Brakel.

Now, what is the cause of faith according to scripture?

Carbon

What is the cause of faith according to scripture?

Man is blind and cannot understand the very essence of those matters which he must believe. Man's heart is evil and he don't concern himself with the things of God and faith. Man does not know God and he has an unbelieving heart. In order for man to believe, it must be given too him. 29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, Phil 1.

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, Eph 2.
.................And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 1 John 5.
3 Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit. 1 Cor 12.

The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of faith, 13 Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak, 2 Cor 4.

Even the increase of faith is of the Lord, 5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” Luke 17.

God changes the heart, causing man to believe., not compelling him against his will, but inclining him and working in him both to will and to do. 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2.

brightfame52

Man is blind and cannot understand the very essence of those matters which he must believe. Man's heart is evil and he don't concern himself with the things of God and faith. Man does not know God and he has an unbelieving heart. In order for man to believe, it must be given too him. 29 For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should not only believe in him but also suffer for his sake, Phil 1.

8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, Eph 2.
.................And the Spirit is the one who testifies, because the Spirit is the truth. 1 John 5.
3 Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says “Jesus is accursed!” and no one can say “Jesus is Lord” except in the Holy Spirit. 1 Cor 12.

The Holy Spirit is called the Spirit of faith, 13 Since we have the same spirit of faith according to what has been written, “I believed, and so I spoke,” we also believe, and so we also speak, 2 Cor 4.

Even the increase of faith is of the Lord, 5 The apostles said to the Lord, “Increase our faith!” Luke 17.

God changes the heart, causing man to believe., not compelling him against his will, but inclining him and working in him both to will and to do. 13 for it is God who works in you, both to will and to work for his good pleasure. Phil 2.
Is a man born again [ saved] before he can believe, before he can have faith in Christ ? Or is he still unregenerate and in the flesh when he first believes and put trust in Christ ?

Carbon

Is a man born again [ saved] before he can believe, before he can have faith in Christ ?
The cross was a proprietary sacrifice, which appeased God's anger towards the elect. Redemption is applied when one believes.
Or is he still unregenerate and in the flesh when he first believes and put trust in Christ ?
Of course one is unregenerate until God regenerates. And as I assume you know, man cannot believe until he is regenerated.

Carbon

Is a man born again [ saved] before he can believe, before he can have faith in Christ ? Or is he still unregenerate and in the flesh when he first believes and put trust in Christ ?
When does justification occur?

Scripture teaches that God has eternally decided to justify His elect through the merits of Christ.

However, in time, Christ atoned for all sin and merited salvation for all the elect. God does view the elect in Christ, and the elect are still not justified. God justifies man when he has faith in Christ.

Do you agree or disagree?

brightfame52

The cross was a proprietary sacrifice, which appeased God's anger towards the elect. Redemption is applied when one believes.

Of course one is unregenerate until God regenerates. And as I assume you know, man cannot believe until he is regenerated.
If one is born again before they believe

You didnt answer the question:

civic

When does justification occur?

Scripture teaches that God has eternally decided to justify His elect through the merits of Christ.

However, in time, Christ atoned for all sin and merited salvation for all the elect. God does view the elect in Christ, and the elect are still not justified. God justifies man when he has faith in Christ.

Do you agree or disagree?
Get ready for the merry go round where you will never get a direct answer from the heretic.

Sethproton

Scripture speaks of four kinds of faith, historical, temporal, miraculous and saving faith.

Historical faith: Pertains to the knowledge of the history of the word of God. It acknowledges and embraces this as truth. Those however, who have such faith are not exorcized with these matters; they have no more effect upon such persons than secular history. It does not stir them within, and sometimes it does not even solicit a confession of truth.
19 You believe that God is one; you do well. Even the demons believe—and shudder! James 2.
27 King Agrippa, do you believe the prophets? I know that you believe.” Acts 26.

Temporal faith: Is a knowledge of, and assent to, evangelical truth as being veritable. It generates some natural motions within the affections of the soul, a confession of these truths with the church, and external behavior which is consistent with their confession - however, all this without being united to Christ unto justification , sanctification, and salvation. The following passages speak of such faith.
20 As for what was sown on rocky ground, this is the one who hears the word and immediately receives it with joy, 21 yet he has no root in himself, but endures for a while, and when tribulation or persecution arises on account of the word, immediately he falls away. Matt 13.

4 For it is impossible, in the case of those who have once been enlightened, who have tasted the heavenly gift, and have shared in the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the goodness of the word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 and then have fallen away, to restore them again to repentance, since they are crucifying once again the Son of God to their own harm and holding him up to contempt. Heb 6.

20 For if, after they have escaped the defilements of the world through the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the last state has become worse for them than the first. 2 Peter 2.

Miraculous faith: miraculous faith is a heart felt conviction generated by the immediate operation of God, that a supernatural act will either occur due to a command given by us, or will be wrought upon us. However, the power for the execution of miracles is not to be found in man, but God executes them by His omnipotent power in response to this faith. This is to be observed in the following passages.
20 He said to them, “Because of your little faith. For truly, I say to you, if you have faith like a grain of mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it will move, and nothing will be impossible for you.” Matt 17.

2 And if I have prophetic powers, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 1 Cor 13.
9 He listened to Paul speaking. And Paul, looking intently at him and seeing that he had faith to be made well, 10 said in a loud voice, “Stand upright on your feet.” And he sprang up and began walking. Acts 14.

Saving faith: First, prior to believing, it is through the preaching of the Word that there is engendered in man a conviction of his miserable condition in himself, and dissatisfaction and perplexity concerning his condition in reference to both his sinfulness and his guilt. This transpires with more or less emotion, in either a legal or an evangelical manner. He perceives himself to be separated from God, and understands that his salvation consists of being united to Him and in the enjoyment of His favor. He finds solution neither within himself nor with any other creature as to how he will satisfy the justice of God and acquire a perfect righteousness. He hears mention made of Jesus Christ as Surety, and begins to become acquainted with Him in His natures, offices, humiliation, and exaltation, becoming desirous to have Him as his Surety.
Secondly, he becomes acquainted with the offer of Christ in a general sense, but also in a specific sense, that is, that Christ is also offered to him, for he hears the gospel in which He is offered to everyone. No one is excluded, for whosoever will may come, and to this the promise is annexed that whoever comes will in no wise be cast out. He believes all this to be infallibly true, and rejoices that God has designed such a way of salvation, as well as that this way is made known to him. He approves of this way with his entire heart, and wishes to be saved in that way and in none other, there being no other way. With Peter he says, 68 Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life, 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God.” John 6.
Thirdly, he becomes hungry and thirsty. He becomes very desirous to become a partaker of Christ and all His benefits, to be reconciled to God through Him, and to walk with Him is peace, love, humility, and obedience. His desire is: Oh, that I had Christ, that I had reconciliation, and that I had Spirit and life! Thus Christ is precious to him.

1Peter 2.
6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied. Matt 5.

Fifthly, as he thus wrestles, he receives liberty to receive Him by faith. He knows himself to destitute, and he perceives Jesus as suitable, fully sufficient, willing, truthful, offering Himself, and promising that no one will be cast out who comes to Him. He receives Him, accepts His offer and invitation, and with all his heart he gives Him his hand, heart - yes, everything. He ponders at times whether the Lord Jesus would be willing to accept him as he is willing to have Him, for then he would certainly be saved. "Yes," he continues. "Jesus is willing, yes, more willing than I am, for He Himself takes the initiative, presents Himself, invites me, and He Himself draws me. While thus wrestling, he surrenders himself. 12 But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, John 1.

Brakel.

I cannot tell where this fits into your types of faith, but Romans 1 and Hebrews 11 both speak of the gift of knowing that God exists. This is faith, but it does not save,

Johnnybgood

Temporal faith: Is a knowledge of, and assent to, evangelical truth as being veritable. It generates some natural motions within the affections of the soul, a confession of these truths with the church, and external behavior which is consistent with their confession - however, all this without being united to Christ unto justification , sanctification, and salvation. The following passages speak of such faith.

1Peter 2.

Brakel.

I did not know there were that many different types of faith. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Tercon

Faith is the result of belief in the truth and reality of God.

And without God's faith nothing can be known to exist or occur, because it is ONLY in and with God's mind that everything that exists can be known to occur.

It is not helpful to pretend that there is different kinds of belief and faith, when if God is the truth and reality, then all belief and faith is His and He only has ONE kind of belief and faith.

Last edited:

Sethproton

Faith is the result of belief in the truth and reality of God.

And without God's faith nothing can be known to exist or occur, because it is ONLY in and with God's mind that everything that exists can be known to occur.

It is not helpful to pretend that there is different kinds of belief and faith, when if God is the truth and reality, then all belief and faith is His and He only has ONE kind of belief and faith.
I wonder if you have given enough thought to your position about explaining the various ways in the Bible the word "faith" is used.
Every passage using the word is not talking about the same exact idea.
Remember James asks, "Can this kind of faith save?" If there are not kinds of faith, how can James ask this?

Tercon

I wonder if you have given enough thought to your position about explaining the various ways in the Bible the word "faith" is used.
Remember James asks, "Can this kind of faith save?" If there are not kinds of faith, how can James ask this?

If you are not referring to God's faith when you speak of Biblical faith, then you are not denoting God's faith.

Last edited:

Sethproton

If you are not referring to God's faith when you speak of Biblical faith, then you are not denoting God's faith.
I believe I asked you before for the verse that explains God's faith.And as I recall you never gave me a verse? Did you?
Since I do not think that "God's faith" is a Biblical idea, I need you to point me to at least one verse that teaches God has faith,
Thanks
Note. In reference to James saying "kind" of faith. Is that something you would call "not God's faith?"

Theo1689

I wonder if you have given enough thought to your position ...

Why do you feel the need to constantly making insulting comments like this?

about explaining the various ways in the Bible the word "faith" is used.

The "faith" James is talking about here is a mere "claimed" faith (James 2:14), which is no faith at all. It can't save him, because he doesn't have faith. He merely CLAIMS he does.

Sethproton

Why do you feel the need to constantly making insulting comments like this?

The "faith" James is talking about here is a mere "claimed" faith (James 2:14), which is no faith at all. It can't save him, because he doesn't have faith. He merely CLAIMS he does.
ok

Tercon

I believe I asked you before for the verse that explains God's faith. And as I recall you never gave me a verse? Did you?
Since I do not think that "God's faith" is a Biblical idea, I need you to point me to at least one verse that teaches God has faith,
Thanks
Note. In reference to James saying "kind" of faith. Is that something you would call "not God's faith?"

You do realize every time you say that; you misrepresent God and the Bible? In fact there are many verses saying and suggesting that God believes, and faith originated in and with God. And if you disbelieve that faith and belief originated in and with God, then how is it possible that your faith and belief originated in God?

And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write; These things saith he which hath the sharp sword with two edges;
I know thy works, and where thou dwellest, even where Satan's seat is: and thou holdest fast my name, and hast not denied my faith, even in those days wherein Antipas was my faithful martyr, who was slain among you, where Satan dwelleth.
But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. (Revelation 2:12-14)

And now apart from law hath the righteousness of God been manifested, testified to by the law and the prophets, and the righteousness of God [is] through the faith of Jesus Christ to all, and upon all those believing, -- for there is no difference, for all did sin, and are come short of the glory of God -- being declared righteous freely by His grace through the redemption that [is] in Christ Jesus, whom God did set forth a mercy seat, through the faith in his blood, for the shewing forth of His righteousness, because of the passing over of the bygone sins in the forbearance of God -- for the shewing forth of His righteousness in the present time, for His being righteous, and declaring him righteous who [is] of the faith of Jesus. (Romans 3:21-26)

we by nature Jews, and not sinners of the nations, having known also that a man is not declared righteous by works of law, if not through the faith of Jesus Christ, also we in Christ Jesus did believe, that we might be declared righteous by the faith of Christ, and not by works of law, wherefore declared righteous by works of law shall be no flesh.' (Galatians 2:15-17)

the law, then, [is] against the promises of God? -- let it not be! for if a law was given that was able to make alive, truly by law there would have been the righteousness, but the Writing did shut up the whole under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ may be given to those believing. And before the coming of the faith, under law we were being kept, shut up to the faith about to be revealed, (Galatians 3:21-23)

yes, indeed, and I count all things to be loss, because of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, because of whom of the all things I suffered loss, and do count them to be refuse, that Christ I may gain, and be found in him, not having my righteousness, which [is] of law, but that which [is] through faith of Christ -- the righteousness that is of God by the faith, to know him, and the power of his rising again, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being conformed to his death, if anyhow I may attain to the rising again of the dead. (Philippians 3:8-12)

And having the same spirit of the faith, according to that which hath been written, `I believed, therefore I did speak;' we also do believe, therefore also do we speak; knowing that He who did raise up the Lord Jesus, us also through Jesus shall raise up, and shall present with you, for the all things [are] because of you, that the grace having been multiplied, because of the thanksgiving of the more, may abound to the glory of God; (2 Corinthians 4:1-15)

And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him. (1 John 4:16)

Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him. (1 John 5:1)

Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God? (1 John 5:5)

He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son. (1 John 5:10)