The New Covenant

Hi Formersda,

When you start claiming that there are actually 11 or 12 commandments you are by necessity adding your 11th and 12th commands to the Ten. Thus your claim is shown to be disingenuous at the very least or perhaps an outright intentional attempt to mislead the uninformed. Either way you're presenting as a false teacher.

Your question above is an attempt to deflect from your own inability to address the question which I just asked again and which you've never answered in previous discussions. Your mishandling of the word of God makes a mockery of the One in whom you claim to believe. God placed a numeral in the title of this particular set of laws which is obviously intended to restrict the total number. You reject this obvious intent and insist that no, it's not in reality Ten Commandments, but 613! Or, maybe just 9, but certainly not Ten. This is what false teachers do--add or subtract from His word to make His word fit their predetermined outcome. I reject your additions and so should all true believers.

SECOND TIME: How many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant?

He proclaimed his covenant—the Ten Commandments—which he commanded you to keep, and which he wrote on two stone tablets.
Where in my last post have i said 613? What you reject is the whole law

Where in my last post have i said 613? What you reject is the whole law

Hi Formersda,

You're advocating for additional commandments to be added to the Ten, I merely took your premise to its illogical confusion. Please feel free to tell us where your limit to this addition process will be ending. Is it just twelve? :rolleyes:

THIRD TIME: How many commandments are in the Ten Commandment covenant?

He proclaimed his covenant—the Ten Commandments—which he commanded you to keep, and which he wrote on two stone tablets.

The words of the covenant.
the words of the covenant, the Ten Commandment. Exodus 34:28 KJV

The Ten Commandments are what was agreed to. They are the words of what was agreed upon. Remember, God found fault with the people because they failed to keep their end of the agreement. God didn't find fault with His perfect law. That would be an absurd conclusion--something a cultist would presume to make. Are you making that assumption?

The absurdity of the premise that God's perfect law was at fault is found in that if it were the case that God gave 613 faulty laws which needed to be abolished then what makes you think that any laws God comes up with after that would be in any way less faulty than the first set. Supposedly there are 1040 "commandments" in the New Testament. That's a net increase of 427 new commandments. How is this any better for you? The reality is that most ppl who kick against the goads of the law are really only trying to forget the one command that says remember. Odd, huh?

Last edited:
The Ten Commandments are what was agreed to. They are the words of what was agreed upon. Remember, God found fault with the people because they failed to keep their end of the agreement. God didn't find fault with His perfect law. That would be an absurd conclusion--something a cultist would presume to make. Are you making that assumption?

The absurdity of the premise that God's perfect law was at fault is found in that if it were the case that God gave 613 faulty laws which needed to be abolished then what makes you think that any laws God comes up with after that would be in any way less faulty than the first set. Supposedly there are 1040 "commandments" in the New Testament. That's a net increase of 427 new commandments. How is this any better for you? The reality is that most ppl who kick against the goads of the law are really only trying to forget the one command that says remember. Odd, huh?
Moses came and told the people all the words of the Lord and all the rules. And all the people answered with one voice and said, “All the words that the Lord has spoken we will do.” And Moses wrote down all the words of the Lord. He rose early in the morning and built an altar at the foot of the mountain, and twelve pillars, according to the twelve tribes of Israel. And he sent young men of the people of Israel, who offered burnt offerings and sacrificed peace offerings of oxen to the Lord. And Moses took half of the blood and put it in basins, and half of the blood he threw against the altar. Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it in the hearing of the people. And they said, “All that the Lord has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.” And Moses took the blood and threw it on the people and said, “Behold the blood of the covenant that the Lord has made with you in accordance with all these words.” Exodus 24:3-8 ESV

After God gave Israel the Ten Commandments in Exodus 20, He kept right on a-diggin' and started giving them the "rules", what I guess you would call the Law of Moses. The Children of Israel agreed to obey all that too. It was also part of the Covenant.

I have no problem with how many laws there were. If there were supposedly 1040 given in the New Testament, so what? That seems to be a red herring. What I look at is what Paul told us that the purpose of the Law was.

And bottom line, that Sinaitic Covenant was still between God and the Children of Israel. That law that you are so enamored with? The one that says "remember"? Who was God telling to remember it? Adventists have to ignore that God explicitly told Israel that the Sabbath was a sign of the covenant between Him and them.

And the Lord said to Moses, “You are to speak to the people of Israel and say, ‘Above all you shall keep my Sabbaths, for this is a sign between me and you throughout your generations, that you may know that I, the Lord, sanctify you. You shall keep the Sabbath, because it is holy for you. Everyone who profanes it shall be put to death. Whoever does any work on it, that soul shall be cut off from among his people. Six days shall work be done, but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest, holy to the Lord. Whoever does any work on the Sabbath day shall be put to death. Therefore the people of Israel shall keep the Sabbath, observing the Sabbath throughout their generations, as a covenant forever. It is a sign forever between me and the people of Israel that in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and on the seventh day he rested and was refreshed.’” Exodus 31:12-17 ESV

I am not Jewish. I've never been a party to the Old Covenant. I am a gentile Christian and I take James at his word when he told gentile believers what was expected of them in Acts 15.

Back