The New Jerusalem

Yitoz

We read in the D&C sections 76 and 88 certain descriptions about the eternal order; however, in the Book of Revelation, we read about the New Jerusalem. These two differing views are at odds with each other, so which description is the most accurate? Many mormons would say that they believe joseph's descriptions, while many orthodox Christians would declare that the description of the New Jerusalem given by John and Jesus in Rev. 21 would be a more accurate description. What is obvious is that both can't be true. From the Book of Revelation"

Revelation 21

English Standard Version

The New Heaven and the New Earth​

1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

The New Jerusalem​

9 Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, “Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.” 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God, ...

22 And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. 23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, 25 and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. 26 They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. 27 But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Just as mormons attempt to divide their godhead in this life, they attempt to divide their godhead in the afterlife. Their problem is that there are no descriptions related to their definitions of the celestial, terrestrial and telestial realms supported in either the Book of Mormon or the Bible. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all together in the eternal kingdom/new heaven and new earth/New Jerusalem along with all the redeemed, but not with all who were resurrected (see Paul's discussion in Acts 24:14-16). There are no separate levels of existence or degrees of glory in the final state of things described in the above mentioned works, therefore joseph's aberrant teaching found in D&C sections 76 and 88 should be rejected as false teachings by all true believers. God has a place prepared for true believers as shown above, but it is obvious that what joseph describes falls far short of God's criterion.

We read in the D&C sections 76 and 88 certain descriptions about the eternal order; however, in the Book of Revelation, we read about the New Jerusalem. These two differing views are at odds with each other, so which description is the most accurate? Many mormons would say that they believe joseph's descriptions, while many orthodox Christians would declare that the description of the New Jerusalem given by John and Jesus in Rev. 21 would be a more accurate description. What is obvious is that both can't be true. From the Book of Revelation"

Revelation 21​

English Standard Version​

1 Then I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and the sea was no more. 2 And I saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God. 4 He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

The New Jerusalem​

9 Then came one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls full of the seven last plagues and spoke to me, saying, “Come, I will show you the Bride, the wife of the Lamb.” 10 And he carried me away in the Spirit to a great, high mountain, and showed me the holy city Jerusalem coming down out of heaven from God, 11 having the glory of God, ...

22 And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. 23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, 25 and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. 26 They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. 27 But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb's book of life.
Just as mormons attempt to divide their godhead in this life, they attempt to divide their godhead in the afterlife. Their problem is that there are no descriptions related to their definitions of the celestial, terrestrial and telestial realms supported in either the Book of Mormon or the Bible. The Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all together in the eternal kingdom/new heaven and new earth/New Jerusalem along with all the redeemed, but not with all who were resurrected (see Paul's discussion in Acts 24:14-16). There are no separate levels of existence or degrees of glory in the final state of things described in the above mentioned works, therefore joseph's aberrant teaching found in D&C sections 76 and 88 should be rejected as false teachings by all true believers. God has a place prepared for true believers as shown above, but it is obvious that what joseph describes falls far short of God's criterion.
Before I give a response, what do understand the different glories to be spoken of in 1 Cor 15:

1 Cor 15
38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

Also, do you believe John 5:29
28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Where do the resurrected of the damned dwell after a new heaven and a new earth is created?

Before I give a response, what do understand the different glories to be spoken of in 1 Cor 15:

1 Cor 15
38 But God giveth it a body as it hath pleased him, and to every seed his own body.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh: but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of beasts, another of fishes, and another of birds.
verse 38 seems to tells us their is 4 glories
40 There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
Celestial body is our heavenly body "resurrected body' Terrestrial body is our Mortal earthy body
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
43 It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
44 It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

28 Marvel not at this: for the hour is coming, in the which all that are in the graves shall hear his voice,
29 And shall come forth; they that have done good, unto the resurrection of life; and they that have done evil, unto the resurrection of damnation.

Where do the resurrected of the damned dwell after a new heaven and a new earth is created?
the damned go to hell thrown in lake of fire

verse 38 seems to tells us their is 4 glories
Yes. Very true.
Two classes of creatures created on Day 5, and two classes of creatures created on Day 6.
Celestial body is our heavenly body "resurrected body' Terrestrial body is our Mortal earthy body
There are two types of bodies: Those of the sun, and those of the moon
the damned go to hell thrown in lake of fire
Agreed. And the lake of fire is "torment" in mormonism. Which is "endless punishment" for a thousand years. (D&C 19)

Note that the stars are no longer talked about in Revelation 21.
23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

So, thank you. The claim "These two differing views are at odds with each other" is proven wrong.

Yes. Very true.
Two classes of creatures created on Day 5, and two classes of creatures created on Day 6.

There are two types of bodies: Those of the sun, and those of the moon
Actually 2 bodies the Mortal or terrestrial or immortal Celestial heavenly body according to the context
Agreed. And the lake of fire is "torment" in mormonism. Which is "endless punishment" for a thousand years. (D&C 19)

Note that the stars are no longer talked about in Revelation 21.
23 And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

So, thank you. The claim "These two differing views are at odds with each other" is proven wrong.
The context is comparing bodies not heavens

1 Cor 15

Surely you already know this because it is referred to in the book of mormon too.

One example from the NT:

Revelation 21:7-8

English Standard Version

7 The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. 8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

One example from the Book of Mormon:

Helaman 13:37-39

37 Behold, we are surrounded by demons, yea, we are circled about by the angels of him who hath sought to destroy our souls. Behold, our iniquities are great. O Lord canst thou not turn away thine anger from us? And this shall be your language in those days.
38 But behold, your days of probation are past; ye have procrastinated the day of your salvation until it is everlastingly too late, and your destruction is made sure; yea for ye have sought all the days of your lives for that which ye could not obtain; and ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity, which is contrary to that righteousness which is in our great and Eternal Head.
39 O people of the land, that ye would hear my words! And I pray that the anger of the Lord be turned away from you, and that ye would repent and be saved.

In both cases " ... their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Surely you already know this because it is referred to in the book of mormon too.

One example from the NT:

Revelation 21:7-8

English Standard Version

7 The one who conquers will have this heritage, and I will be his God and he will be my son. 8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

One example from the Book of Mormon:

Helaman 13:37-39

37 Behold, we are surrounded by demons, yea, we are circled about by the angels of him who hath sought to destroy our souls. Behold, our iniquities are great. O Lord canst thou not turn away thine anger from us? And this shall be your language in those days.
38 But behold, your days of probation are past; ye have procrastinated the day of your salvation until it is everlastingly too late, and your destruction is made sure; yea for ye have sought all the days of your lives for that which ye could not obtain; and ye have sought for happiness in doing iniquity, which is contrary to that righteousness which is in our great and Eternal Head.
39 O people of the land, that ye would hear my words! And I pray that the anger of the Lord be turned away from you, and that ye would repent and be saved.

In both cases " ... their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”
True, and according to mormonism, is hell a literal lake, or is it a spiritual condition?

2 Ne 9:
26 For the atonement satisfieth the demands of his justice upon all those who have not the law given to them, that they are delivered from that awful monster, death and hell, and the devil, and the lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment; and they are restored to that God who gave them breath, which is the Holy One of Israel.

True, and according to mormonism, is hell a literal lake, or is it a spiritual condition?

2 Ne 9:
26 For the atonement satisfieth the demands of his justice upon all those who have not the law given to them, that they are delivered from that awful monster, death and hell, and the devil, and the lake of fire and brimstone, which is endless torment; and they are restored to that God who gave them breath, which is the Holy One of Israel.
LDS Apostle John Widtsoe declared, "In the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, there is no hell. All will find a measure of salvation" (E. & R., p. 216). Yet, the B. of M. says, "The devil cheateth their souls, and leadeth them away carefully down to hell and behold others he flattereth away, and telleth them there is no hell" (II Nephi 28:21-22). Thus, the B. of M. explains where Mormonism got its doctrine of no hell!

Revelation 21​

The New Jerusalem​

New Heaven and a New Earth... what do Christians claim when its stated a new earth?

Revelation 4:1. “Things Which Must Be Hereafter”​

Gerald N. Lund, who later served as a member of the Seventy, gave an overview of John’s visions in Revelation 4–22 and explained some of their basic meanings:

“The basic structure of the vision is chronological. After seeing the Father and the Son in heaven (Rev. 4–5), the vision of the history and destiny of the world begin to unfold for John. He sees the first five seals (or first five thousand years of history) in rapid-fire, in encapsulated form. Then he sees the opening of the sixth seal, which includes the restoration of the gospel. (See Rev. 6:12–7:17.)

“After that, John sees the seventh period of a thousand years, with great judgments poured out upon the earth, including Armageddon (see Rev. 8–9, 11, 16), which eventually lead to the utter overthrow of Babylon (see 17–18) and make way for the second coming of him who is King of kings and Lord of lords (see 19). Immediately following that, John sees Satan bound and Christ reigning for a thousand years (see 20:1–6), a last great battle between the forces of righteousness and evil (see 20:7–10), and the final judgment (see 20:11–15). Finally, a new heaven and a new earth are brought forth. (See 21:1–22:5.)” (“Seeing the Book of Revelation as a Book of Revelation,” Ensign, Dec. 1987, 52).

Revelation 4:6. “Sea of Glass”​

The “sea of glass” mentioned in Revelation 4:6 represents “the earth, in its sanctified, immortal, and eternal state” (D&C 77:1; see also D&C 130:6–9).

Revelation 21​

The New Jerusalem​

The New Jerusalem​

The place where the Saints will gather and Christ will personally reign with them during the Millennium. Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent, and the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory (A of F 1:10). It also refers to a holy city that will come down out of heaven at the beginning of the Millennium.

The New Jerusalem​

The place where the Saints will gather and Christ will personally reign with them during the Millennium. Zion (the New Jerusalem) will be built upon the American continent, and the earth will be renewed and receive its paradisiacal glory (A of F 1:10). It also refers to a holy city that will come down out of heaven at the beginning of the Millennium.

A song about ZION

2 Ne 9:
Love the music... thx.
Great music arranged and performed by Paul Wilbur et al., a Messianic Jewish believer. I have his Desert Rain album, among others, where it was performed live in Israel.

2 Ne 9:
There is something similar in Romans sans the confused picture that joseph wrote into the above verse.

Romans 2:12-16
English Standard Version

God's Judgment and the Law​

12 For all who have sinned without the law will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law. 13 For it is not the hearers of the law who are righteous before God, but the doers of the law who will be justified. 14 For when Gentiles, who do not have the law, by nature do what the law requires, they are a law to themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them 16 on that day when, according to my gospel, God judges the secrets of men by Christ Jesus.

The issue with joseph's version above is that the lake of fire and brimstone is the final destination of the unrighteous, from which there may be no return. The Book of Mormon contains clear teachings that counter what you have posted, IOW, Joseph has written contradicting verses into his book of myths. There is a recent thread on that very subject.

1 Cor 15

Revelation 21:8
English Standard Version

8 But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Revelation 20
English Standard Version

10 and the devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

14 Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. 15 And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.

https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Revelation 21&version=ESV

The New Jerusalem​

Never mind.

Great music arranged and performed by Paul Wilbur et al., a Messianic Jewish believer. I have his Desert Rain album, among others, where it was performed live in Israel.
Yes, I love some of the Christian Music and even on Christmas Eve we were invited to a Christian Friends Church and totally enjoyed the music and sermon....

Back