The origin of the KJVO myth...

robycop3

Many say that but don’t. They error to the point where the Church is harmed.
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
I hear Him, see Him.
You hurt me by saying it isn’t Jesus who speaks to me.
Again Jesus told me the King James Bible is His English Bible.

Oh, REALLY?
Did Jesus come to you in a vision?
Did you "test the spirit" who sent you such a message?

I don't believe you, as Jesus doesn't lie, and the KJVO myth simply isn't true. It's all man-made, & I posted the origin of its current edition above.

JDS

Oh, REALLY?

I don't believe you, as Jesus doesn't lie, and the KJVO myth simply isn't true. It's all man-made, & I posted the origin of its current edition above.
Where did you quote Jesus on the subject in your op?

Truther

The Origin of the Current KJVO myth
By robycop3

Ever wonder where KJVO-the false doctrine that the KJV is the only valid English Bible translation out there came from? Here's the skinny:

In 1930, a 7th Day Adventist official, Dr. Benjamin Wilkinson(1872-1968), published a book he named "Our Authorized Bible Vindicated" in response to a squabble within the SDA cult. This book is a collection of snippets in favor of the KJV of God's holy word, and is full of goofs, such as the "Psalm 12:6-7 thingie". Apparently, Wilkinson didn't bother to check 0ut the VERACITY of any of the info he gathered. And he copied PARTS of Dean John Burgon's writings, omitting anything that was critical of the Textus Receptus.

He obtained a Scottish copyright for this book, which he apparently allowed to lapse many years ago, as interest in his book was mostly limited to the SDA cult, and for only a short time.

There's no doubt that SDA is a pseudo/quasi-Christian cult, and that Dr. W was a full-fledged SDA official, teacher, and preacher, who often argued for the inerrancy of Ellen Gould White's writings, placing them on a par with Scripture. Several SDA buildings and libraries are named after him.

In 1955, someone called J. J. Ray of Eugene, OR discovered that book, and wrote his/her own book, "God Wrote Only One Bible". Ray copied much of Dr. W's book verbatim in GWOOB without acknowledging him whatsoever, copying many of the goofs in Dr. W's book. Whether Ray obtained Dr. W's permission to use his book, or simply plagiarized it is unknown, but at any rate, Ray used the power of modern media to publicize his/her book, thus starting the idea of KJVO among some of the general public.

Now, try Googling "J. J. Ray" in the Eugene, OR. area. The only one I've found whose lifetime fit the 1955 timeline was a used-car salesman, now deceased, who apparently never published any book. Ray's company, Eye-Opener Publishers, only published that one book. Apparently, "J. J. Ray" is a pseudonym. Now, why would any REAL MAN(or woman) OF GOD use a pseudonym? Apparently, "Ray" was concerned that Dr. W might speak out about his plagiarism.

Then, in 1970, Dr. D. O. Fuller, a Baptist pastor, published "Which Bible?"(3rd revision, 1972), a book which copied much from both Ray and Wilkinson, including many of the original goofs. Like W and Ray before him, he didn't bother to check out the VERACITY of the material he published. And, while he at least acknowledged W, he made absolutely NO mention of W's CULT AFFILIATION. It was this book which brought the public's attention, especially in Baptist circles, to the other two boox, and to KJVO in general. Soon, a whole genre was developed of KJVO boox, all of which drew a large portion of their material from those first three boox.

Now, while Ray's plagiarism and Fuller's deliberate omission of W's CULT AFFILIATION might've been legal, it was certainly DISHONEST, not something any devout Christian would do!

Now, I have not forgotten Dr. Peter S. Ruckman's 1964 works, "Manuscript Evidence" and "Bible Babel". These goof-filled worx was derived largely from Wilkinson's and Ray's books, repeating many of their booboos, such as the "Psalm 12:6-7 thingie". and copying an erroneous chart from Ray's book. Ruckman referred to the title of Ray's book as "God Only Wrote One Book", which hints at the inaccuracy of Ruckman's work. However, Ruckman's works was not among the "foundation stones" of the KJVO myth, as were Ray's and Fuller's boox, both derived from Wilkinson's book.

Virtually every current KJVO author, from Riplinger to Bynum to Melton to Grady to whomever, uses material from those first three boox in their own work, often re-worded, but still the same garbage in a different dumpster. About the only newer material in any of these boox is their criticism of newer Bible versions as they came out. We see a pattern of DISHONESTY in KJVO authorship, as many of its authors copy from each other without any acknowledgement, all of them drawing from a KNOWN CULT OFFICIAL'S book! HOW CAN ANY CHRISTIAN, SEEING ALL THIS DISHONESTY AND ATTEMPTS TO CONCEAL OR JUSTIFY IT, BELIEVE KJVO IS FROM GOD?

These facts are easily verified, either on the Internet or in most public libraries. Unlike KJVOs, we Freedom Readers deal in VERIFIABLE FACT, not fishing stories, opinion, and guesswork. All the boox I mentioned are available online legally, in public libraries, many religious bookstores, or are for sale at various web sites of many religious book stores.

Thus, you see why I, and many other Christians who try to serve God in all aspects of life, are so vehemently against the KJVO myth! It's Satanic in origin, definitely NOT FROM GOD!

I challenge any KJVO to show us any book written before 1930 that is largely about KJVO, and which can be traced to having started the current KJVO doctrine.
Funny, I never heard of the guy. I just always had a weird feeling about the modern versions since becoming a Christian. I was being gradually worn down then a friend introduced me to a video from Gail Riplinger called New Age Bible Versions.
This lit a fire under me as we now use it as the main source for folks to watch how the RCC etc is using modern versions to destroy the word of God in English and advance their commentaries.

robycop3

Funny, I never heard of the guy. I just always had a weird feeling about the modern versions since becoming a Christian. I was being gradually worn down then a friend introduced me to a video from Gail Riplinger called New Age Bible Versions.
This lit a fire under me as we now use it as the main source for folks to watch how the RCC etc is using modern versions to destroy the word of God in English and advance their commentaries.
Dr. W was a preacher/teacher/official of the SDA cult. If you weren't SDA, nor closely researched the KJVO myth, you've likely never hearda him.

And Riplinger's stuff is phony as a land shark. The fire she mighta lit under you is not from GOD. Please do a little research on her stuff to see how wrong it is.

CES1951

Why I use the KJV, while allowing anyone else to use whatever version they want.........................I PREFER the KJV. Why? A lifetime of memorizing and using it. Simple as that. Modern versions (most of them anyway) have the same doctrines as the KJV, but, since I have memorized the KJV for so long, they don't "sound like" Scripture to me. I would imagine a younger Christian, who started with an NIV, NASB, ESV, or any other Bible, would find the KJV "awkward". It's a personal choice. I just wish people would quit arguing about it....yes....I said arguing. Reading this thread, and countless others on the internet, there is a lot of un-Christlike posts about the whole topic. That saddens me. After all these years, I've learned one thing. If you're a KJVO person, you're gonna remain a KJVO person, if you're against KJVOism, you're gonna remain against KJVOism. Brothers and sisters in Christ, there are far more important things to be concerned with than bickering over which Bible version someone believes is better than the others. God bless!

robycop3

Why I use the KJV, while allowing anyone else to use whatever version they want.........................I PREFER the KJV. Why? A lifetime of memorizing and using it. Simple as that. Modern versions (most of them anyway) have the same doctrines as the KJV, but, since I have memorized the KJV for so long, they don't "sound like" Scripture to me. I would imagine a younger Christian, who started with an NIV, NASB, ESV, or any other Bible, would find the KJV "awkward". It's a personal choice. I just wish people would quit arguing about it....yes....I said arguing. Reading this thread, and countless others on the internet, there is a lot of un-Christlike posts about the whole topic. That saddens me. After all these years, I've learned one thing. If you're a KJVO person, you're gonna remain a KJVO person, if you're against KJVOism, you're gonna remain against KJVOism. Brothers and sisters in Christ, there are far more important things to be concerned with than bickering over which Bible version someone believes is better than the others. God bless!

The late Dr. J. Vernon McGee felt the same, although he was NOT KJVO, & mentioned several of its goofs, such as "Easter" in Acts 12:4.

The strife results from KJVOs denouncing any & every other English Bible translation. Thus, we must show them that the KJVO myth is false.

CES1951

Thus, we must show them that the KJVO myth is false.
Well, my question to you Roby, and I ask respectfully, I have nothing against you, you are a brother in Christ, and therefore, I love you.....but my question is WHY? Why must you show them? I know a few KJVO people, I have some in my family. They attend a KJVO church. They're good Christians, they aren't harming anyone, or running around bashing other Bible versions. They preach the Gospel, and people are saved and growing in the Lord at their church, no cult, or fighting or splitting of churches, none of that. They simply think the KJV is what they are going to use to preach from. I know talking to my family member, if you attend his church, you may use any version you want, no one will criticize, or try to make you change. No one goes around checking to see if you have a KJV Bible.

My church uses the ESV to preach from, the majority of members use the NKJV, because until a year or so ago, the pastor preached from that. He only recently switched to the ESV. My S/S class members vary from the NIV, NKJV, KJV, ESV, and several others. I'm sorry Roby, I just don't think this whole KJVO issue is as big a deal as you seem to think.

robycop3

Well, my question to you Roby, and I ask respectfully, I have nothing against you, you are a brother in Christ, and therefore, I love you.....but my question is WHY? Why must you show them? I know a few KJVO people, I have some in my family. They attend a KJVO church. They're good Christians, they aren't harming anyone, or running around bashing other Bible versions. They preach the Gospel, and people are saved and growing in the Lord at their church, no cult, or fighting or splitting of churches, none of that. They simply think the KJV is what they are going to use to preach from. I know talking to my family member, if you attend his church, you may use any version you want, no one will criticize, or try to make you change. No one goes around checking to see if you have a KJV Bible.

My church uses the ESV to preach from, the majority of members use the NKJV, because until a year or so ago, the pastor preached from that. He only recently switched to the ESV. My S/S class members vary from the NIV, NKJV, KJV, ESV, and several others. I'm sorry Roby, I just don't think this whole KJVO issue is as big a deal as you seem to think.

You're entitled to your opinion, of course,

BUT...

Many KJVOs DO bash any & all other Bible versions, telling LIES to do it. And I believe we owe it to to new Christians to try to keep them from believing the false KJVO myth (or any other false doctrines.)

And, as Christians, we have a D-U-T-Y to openly oppose any false doctrines of faith/worship.

Tanachreader

Oh, REALLY?

Jesus and His Father have visited me many times over the decades.
It is not unusual for the Lord to visit and speak to His people. There are many of us all over the world. It is also scriptural.
The occult and pagan festivals were big then as they are now both in Israel and throughout the world so I have no problem with Herod, the pagan temples and a non jewish passover being lifted up those days. The many learned scholars reviewed the passage and by much prayer recorded as it as Easter.
Even today you will have few leaders, politicians who will stand against pagans because of fear to offend and suffer persecution. Just look at the EU, America’s. It was big then and is bigger now.
Again the Lord told me to defend His Bible, He is against you!
How can I defend it as I’m not a scholar I can by telling you the Lord said it is His Bible for us.

robycop3

Jesus and His Father have visited me many times over the decades.
It is not unusual for the Lord to visit and speak to His people. There are many of us all over the world. It is also scriptural.
The occult and pagan festivals were big then as they are now both in Israel and throughout the world so I have no problem with Herod, the pagan temples and a non jewish passover being lifted up those days. The many learned scholars reviewed the passage and by much prayer recorded as it as Easter.
Even today you will have few leaders, politicians who will stand against pagans because of fear to offend and suffer persecution. Just look at the EU, America’s. It was big then and is bigger now.
Again the Lord told me to defend His Bible, He is against you!
How can I defend it as I’m not a scholar I can by telling you the Lord said it is His Bible for us.
Again, I DON'T BELIEVE YOU, as Jesus only doesn't lie, He doesn't support a lie, either. If he woulda told you anything about Bible versions, it woulda been to not believe the KJVO myth nor any other "one version only" doctrine. And i doubt if even other KJVOs believe your windy tall tale.

As I said, anyone can invent anything & claim it was a message from God. As a former cop, I know a lot about criminals who claim a "voice from God" told them to kill someone, etc. Not much difference in them & those who claim a voice from God told them to believe a proven-false doctrine.

As for Easter, IT DIDN'T EXIST when Luke wrote "Acts". Besides, Luke used the same word, pascha, that Jesus used for PASSOVER.

Truther

Dr. W was a preacher/teacher/official of the SDA cult. If you weren't SDA, nor closely researched the KJVO myth, you've likely never hearda him.

And Riplinger's stuff is phony as a land shark. The fire she mighta lit under you is not from GOD. Please do a little research on her stuff to see how wrong it is.
Believe whatever you want.

I want a solid Bible I can call the word of God, not some subjective writings of modern seminarians that spend their lives debunking the Bible and want to administer their own "word of God".

The Lord is not waiting until 2050 to get the pure word of God in our hands as modernists dream of.

robycop3

Believe whatever you want.

I want a solid Bible I can call the word of God, not some subjective writings of modern seminarians that spend their lives debunking the Bible and want to administer their own "word of God".

The Lord is not waiting until 2050 to get the pure word of God in our hands as modernists dream of.
We have solid Bibles in the NASV, NKJV, & ESV, to name a few, which are in OUR English style, & don't copy the KJV's goofs & booboos.

And God didn't wait til 1611 to cause His word to be presented in English. There were partial Bibles in English in the time of William The Conqueror, in the nearest language to English of the time. Wycliffe translated much of the Bible into the English of 1384, making handwritten copies. Tyndale made an epic translation in 1534. There was the only truly-authorized English version, the Great Bible of 1539,(so named due to its physical size} made by the great translator Myles Coverdale, by the command of Henry VIII. The AV 1611, the original KJV, was made by a group of translators hired by the Anglican Church, under the auspices of Richard Bancroft, Archbishop of Canterbury. (Reading its preface proves that not even those men were "KJVO" !)

Those versions, & others I didn't mention, were made for the British of their respective times, same as the newer versions I mentioned were made for today's English users worldwide. Yes, God keeps His word in the various languages of the time, and, in accordance with the prophecy that the Gospel shall reach all people everywhere, Scripture is now printed in over 2400 languages & dialects.

OF COURSE there are bogus Bible versions out there, such as the JWs' "New World Translation" & Jack Blanco's "Clear Word" for the SDA cult. But there are several valid newer versions out there as well. Just as the "Model A" & several other cars supplanted the Model T, the KJV has been supplanted by newer, better translations.

Truther

We have solid Bibles in the NASV, NKJV, & ESV, to name a few, which are in OUR English style, & don't copy the KJV's goofs & booboos.

And God didn't wait til 1611 to cause His word to be presented in English. There were partial Bibles in English in the time of William The Conqueror, in the nearest language to English of the time. Wycliffe translated much of the Bible into the English of 1384, making handwritten copies. Tyndale made an epic translation in 1534. There was the only truly-authorized English version, the Great Bible of 1539,(so named due to its physical size} made by the great translator Myles Coverdale, by the command of Henry VIII. The AV 1611, the original KJV, was made by a group of translators hired by the Anglican Church, under the auspices of Richard Bancroft, Archbishop of Canterbury. (Reading its preface proves that not even those men were "KJVO" !)

Those versions, & others I didn't mention, were made for the British of their respective times, same as the newer versions I mentioned were made for today's English users worldwide. Yes, God keeps His word in the various languages of the time, and, in accordance with the prophecy that the Gospel shall reach all people everywhere, Scripture is now printed in over 2400 languages & dialects.

OF COURSE there are bogus Bible versions out there, such as the JWs' "New World Translation" & Jack Blanco's "Clear Word" for the SDA cult. But there are several valid newer versions out there as well. Just as the "Model A" & several other cars supplanted the Model T, the KJV has been supplanted by newer, better translations.
Are any of the Bibles you just mentioned the pure word of God?

Beloved Daughter

Gail Riplinger is a straight-up liar, who told lies to suit her own nonsense.
The proof of this is overwhelming.
Done any acrostic algebra lately?
Ever hear her story of the "six small slits" in the Titani?. It's the product of demented mind.

Her work has been refuted thousands of times.