The Origins of Buddhism

Which concept of God? There are many different concepts. The Jewish concept has not yet sent the Messiah. The Hindu concept is different again, as is the Buddhist concept.
The concept of God as the sole creator of everything.

The Christian God is not a man, I agree, however He kills far too many people and He used to demand animal sacrifice. That changed for some reason, which is a small improvement. Buddhist morality does not follow a "might makes right" rule as the Abrahamic religions treatment of their God seems to do.
You're sitting in judgement on the Christian God who will kill you too, and judge you. I suggest you've got the wrong approach. You don't grasp whom you're dealing with.

Buddhists can do that is they want, though animal sacrifices to their chosen god(s) are not allowed. Fruit, flowers and light are acceptable.
I'm not talking about "gods."

You have no idea of Buddhism.
I think I do.

You are wrong. The Buddha attained full enlightenment at age 35. He died at age 80. You do not need to die to attain enlightenment. Enlightenment can be found here and now.
Why should we believe him? May be he was just lying, or talking about release from inner demons that had been plaguing him. Release from demon possession isn't "full enlightenment" even if it entails some kind of enlightenment.

The concept of God as the sole creator of everything.
That is an impossible concept. No God created everything. Firstly, God did not create Himself, obviously. Nor did God create life, love, justice etc. because God is already alive, loving, just etc. Any property of God cannot have been created by God because that property is eternal, and hence uncreated/uncaused.

You're sitting in judgement on the Christian God who will kill you too, and judge you. I suggest you've got the wrong approach. You don't grasp whom you're dealing with.
If you assume Christianity is correct, then Buddhism is wrong. If you assume Buddhism is correct then Christianity is wrong. In Buddhist terms the Abrahamic God kills far too many people, and animals. He has generated a lot of bad karma for Himself.

Why should we believe him?
Because what he taught works. Buddhists are told to test things to check that they work:

[The Buddha said:] "Yes, Kalamas, it is proper that you have doubt, that you have perplexity, for a doubt has arisen in a matter which is doubtful. Now, look you Kalamas, do not be led by reports, or tradition, or hearsay. Be not led by the authority of religious texts, nor by mere logic or inference, nor by considering appearances, nor by the delight in speculative opinions, nor by seeming possibilities, nor by the idea 'this is our teacher'. Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blameable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them. ... Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blameable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."​
– Anguttara Nikaya, 3.65​

It is for that reason that there are so many different Buddhist denominations; different techniques work for different people.

That is an impossible concept. No God created everything. Firstly, God did not create Himself, obviously. Nor did God create life, love, justice etc. because God is already alive, loving, just etc. Any property of God cannot have been created by God because that property is eternal, and hence uncreated/uncaused.
So I'm talking about what has been created, and not what hasn't been.
If you assume Christianity is correct, then Buddhism is wrong. If you assume Buddhism is correct then Christianity is wrong. In Buddhist terms the Abrahamic God kills far too many people, and animals. He has generated a lot of bad karma for Himself.
So have Buddhists by claiming the Abrahamic God is a liar or doesn't exist.

Because what he taught works. Buddhists are told to test things to check that they work:

[The Buddha said:] "Yes, Kalamas, it is proper that you have doubt, that you have perplexity, for a doubt has arisen in a matter which is doubtful. Now, look you Kalamas, do not be led by reports, or tradition, or hearsay. Be not led by the authority of religious texts, nor by mere logic or inference, nor by considering appearances, nor by the delight in speculative opinions, nor by seeming possibilities, nor by the idea 'this is our teacher'. Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are bad; these things are blameable; these things are censured by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to harm and ill,' abandon them. ... Kalamas, when you yourselves know: 'These things are good; these things are not blameable; these things are praised by the wise; undertaken and observed, these things lead to benefit and happiness,' enter on and abide in them."​
– Anguttara Nikaya, 3.65​

It is for that reason that there are so many different Buddhist denominations; different techniques work for different people.
Which is why Buddhism is cultic: it's essentially whatever you want it to be. A religion stuck in the past and which idolizes a mere man, unaccountably.

So I'm talking about what has been created, and not what hasn't been.
God did not create the Mona Lisa or the Eiffel Tower. Better try again.

So have Buddhists by claiming the Abrahamic God is a liar or doesn't exist.
He exists, but is mistaken about some things. He gets a mention in a section of the Brahmajala sutta which covers errors. Here is his description of himself:

"I am the Brahma, the great Brahma, the conqueror, the unconquered, the all-seeing, the subjector of all to his wishes, the omnipotent, the maker, the creator, the supreme, the controller, the one confirmed in the practice of meditation, and father to all that have been and shall be. I have created these other beings." (emphases added)​
–Brahmajala sutta, section 42​

God did not create the Mona Lisa or the Eiffel Tower. Better try again.
Of course he did. Everything happens by his will and his permission.
He exists, but is mistaken about some things. He gets a mention in a section of the Brahmajala sutta which covers errors. Here is his description of himself:

"I am the Brahma, the great Brahma, the conqueror, the unconquered, the all-seeing, the subjector of all to his wishes, the omnipotent, the maker, the creator, the supreme, the controller, the one confirmed in the practice of meditation, and father to all that have been and shall be. I have created these other beings." (emphases added)​
–Brahmajala sutta, section 42​
So it's not for man to judge him then.

So God allowed Satan, Hitler and Stalin. He also willed and permitted 9/11. Really?
Of course. But the deeds themselves were not God's. They were foreknown and done by evil-doers. For in the world, although God is all-powerful, the free will of man prevails also and must be allowed to prevail so that he himself can be glorified by voluntary service and faith.
That's karma's job. Karma applies to the gods as well as to man.
Not. God is the author of Karma.

Can you find the word "karma" in your Bible? What you are talking about is Christian karma, not Buddhist karma.
The concept of Karma was spoken about by Solomon, long before Buddha arrived.

Prov 16:4. "The LORD works everything for its own ends--even the wicked for the day of disaster."

The concept of Karma was spoken about by Solomon, long before Buddha arrived.
The Bible is made of words. If you can ignore the words in the Bible, then all you have are blank pages on which you can project whatever you want.

Of course it is. " in Indian religion and philosophy, the universal causal law by which good or bad actions determine the future modes of an individual's existence."
Prov 16:4 says "The Lord works everything." So it's the will of God not the result of your good or bad actions.

Back