The Pence - Harris Debate is Tonight

Torin

The VP debate is tonight at 9 PM Eastern time.

Just a quick reminder in case anyone didn't know. Apparently this will be their only debate.

Predictions? Thoughts?

Thistle

Harris was pretty underwhelming when she was debating in the primaries. I expect that all the questions she will receive will be some version of, "the only thing worse than Trump are the people who vote for him; do you agree?" Where all of Pence's questions will be some form of "when is the president going to denounce racists?"

Harry Leggs

Harris was pretty underwhelming when she was debating in the primaries. I expect that all the questions she will receive will be some version of, "the only thing worse than Trump are the people who vote for him; do you agree?" Where all of Pence's questions will be some form of "when is the president going to denounce racists?"
I thought the moderator was better than Wallace. Harris did not do all that bad. Pence was OK. He hit it out of the ballpark with the... will Trump refuse to leave office question towards the end. (totally useless question without any supporting evidence, simply made up!) They must have been prepared for that question. A lot of it was scripted and Pence took to long on meaningless pauses and slow-talking monotone. But he did have his moments. He took it to Harris on her record and defended Trump on her distortions. Not as lively and the Trump Biden debate. They did get into the racial thing at the end. But i think Harris blew it off at the end and instead went with the campaign talking points. Think she blew an opportunity to draw some blood.

At the beginning Harris was mentioning dates. Jan. 28 and Pence failed to mention the date of the Trump-China travel ban which was 1/31 (?). The subsequent Biden response of xenophobia 2/1. It came across as too vague.

J regia

I thought the moderator was better than Wallace. Harris did not do all that bad. Pence was OK. He hit it out of the ballpark with the... will Trump refuse to leave office question towards the end. (totally useless question without any supporting evidence, simply made up!) They must have been prepared for that question. A lot of it was scripted and Pence took to long on meaningless pauses and slow-talking monotone. But he did have his moments. He took it to Harris on her record and defended Trump on her distortions. Not as lively and the Trump Biden debate. They did get into the racial thing at the end. But i think Harris blew it off at the end and instead went with the campaign talking points. Think she blew an opportunity to draw some blood.

At the beginning Harris was mentioning dates. Jan. 28 and Pence failed to mention the date of the Trump-China travel ban which was 1/31 (?). The subsequent Biden response of xenophobia 2/1. It came across as too vague.
But unlike the Trump-Biden complete fiasco, at least this debate resembled a proper presidential debate even though Pence was always on the back foot

Feyaway

I think both bases were likely pleased with their candidates' performance. The left probably thought Harris did great. The right Im sure thought Pence did great.

One thing is for sure, it was much more palatable than that horrible Trump Biden debate which was like watch two grumpy grandpas fight. 🤣

Sherman

The Trump-Biden debate was a dumpster fire. I had the misfortune to watch it. This debate by comparison was better run and was better. Pence had the upper hand. There were times that Harris didn't handle herself very well in this debate.

Harry Leggs

Indeed, they actually spoke about issues.
Like Covid but i did not see the Dems doing anything about C-19 back in January. This is what the Repubs did while the Dems had the country tied up with impeachment nonsense until 2/5

CCP Virus Pandemic Timeline » War Room: Pandemic
January 15 — First case in the United States.

January 17 — US CDC began dispatching public health experts to screen incoming airport passengers at John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York, San Francisco, and Los Angeles and adding monitors at Chicago and Atlanta

January 19 — First case in the United States in Washington State appeared to medical professionals when a 35 year old man who arrived from Wuhan to Washington state drives to an urgent care clinic in Snohomish County, Washington, with a 4-day history of cough and subjective fever.

January 20 — US CDC has activated its Emergency Operations Center.

January 25 — Steve Bannon calls Coronavirus a pandemic and launches War Room: Pandemic

January 26 — Zhou Xianwang, the Mayor of Wuhan, said that 5 million people had left the city before travel restrictions were imposed ahead of the Chinese New Year January 26 — Fifth case of the coronavirus was confirmed in the U.S.

January 26 — Taiwan became the first country to ban flights from Wuhan.

January 31 — The Italian government suspends all flights to and from China and declares a state of emergency

January 31 — President Donald J. Trump restricts travel from China

February 1 — Joe Biden tweets:
We are in the midst of a crisis with the coronavirus. We need to lead the way with science — not Donald Trump’s record of hysteria, xenophobia, and fear-mongering. He is the worst possible person to lead our country through a global health emergency.

Notice Steve Bannon has a show calling C-19 a pandemic back in January. Is the Italian government xenophobic for suspending flights from China 1/31? How bout Taiwan? Xenophobic? Looks like China was rstricting travel from Wuhan to its own cities. Xenophobic? All this was available to Biden back then but either ignored or ignorant. So which is it. Are we to commend Biden for ignorance while appealing to science?

Also 110 K alleged C-19 deaths, with C-19 or C-19 caused (?), is not 2.2 million predicted. While all this is happening here is the Dem response. Nancy visits Chinatown 2/24.

Harry Leggs

Trump 1/31 Travel Restriction. The Dems fiddle while Rome burns.

Trump bans foreign nationals who have traveled to China from entering the US

Any US citizen who has traveled in China will undergo health screening upon entry into the country and will be asked to self-quarantine for 14 days. US citizens who have traveled to Hubei province, where the virus originated, will be held under mandatory quarantine for 14 days after they return to the US. Based on the latest available data, 14 days is the longest estimate of the time it takes for people to develop symptoms after they’re infected with the virus. It is still not clear how easily the virus can spread from one person to the next, although preliminary data
suggests that people who do not have symptoms can still infect others.

All incoming flights from China will be restricted to seven airports to consolidate passenger screening and evaluation: John F. Kennedy International Airport, Chicago O’Hare International Airport, San Francisco International Airport, Seattle-Tacoma International Airport, Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport, Los Angeles International Airport, and Daniel K. Inouye International Airport in Honolulu.

J regia

The Trump-Biden debate was a dumpster fire. I had the misfortune to watch it. This debate by comparison was better run and was better. Pence had the upper hand. There were times that Harris didn't handle herself very well in this debate.
And hopefully we won't have to put up with another farce now that His ego refuses to have a virtual debate and to just sulk and tweet about the aborted foetus used to inject Him with antibodies instead of injecting Himself with disinfectant.
http://www.msn.com/en-au/health/med...ells-derived-from-fetus/ar-BB19PtmL?ocid=iehp

S

stiggywggy

When you lie about Honest Abe, it can't get any more low-down, even if NOT spoken with that repulsive smirk.

Sherman

The bad thing about holding the debate over zoom if they you can't check the candidates for ear buds another ways of cheating.

Mr Laurier

There was... a fly.
And no normal human response from the person who the fly roosted on.
No attempt to brush the fly away. Just that cold and dead stare, through red eyes... and droning.
Last election there was a fly. It landed on the face on candidate Clinton... who continued to smile that cold and dead smile, oblivious to a fly walking on her face. Again, no human response.
Those two flys would, If I were an american, be a sign to not vote for this candidate.
Methinks you need a third party. A centrist party, to counter your two extreme right wing parties.

S

stiggywggy

There was... a fly.
And no normal human response from the person who the fly roosted on.
No attempt to brush the fly away. Just that cold and dead stare, through red eyes... and droning.
Last election there was a fly. It landed on the face on candidate Clinton... who continued to smile that cold and dead smile, oblivious to a fly walking on her face. Again, no human response.
Those two flys would, If I were an american, be a sign to not vote for this candidate.
Methinks you need a third party. A centrist party, to counter your two extreme right wing parties.
WHAT? Pence didn't even know a fly had landed on him. Were you thinking it was Vincent Price or Jeff Goldblum whispering, "Help me" in his ear? Sheesh!

J regia

WHAT? Pence didn't even know a fly had landed on him. Were you thinking it was Vincent Price or Jeff Goldblum whispering, "Help me" in his ear? Sheesh!
Presumably the fly was whispering in his ear after Pence asked to help him now that his boss is in La La Land and waiting for the chopper to chop off his head

S

stiggywggy

Presumably the fly was whispering in his ear after Pence asked to help him now that his boss is in La La Land and waiting for the chopper to chop off his head
The fly had a boss? Was it David Cronenberg?