The Problem with Preterism

Biblican

Preterism was invented by a Jesuit priest during the Counter Reformation in an attempt to defend the Pope from accusations that he was the antichrist. It is an entirely man-made doctrine which is not supported by the scriptures. I am always amazed at people’s acceptance of man-inspired doctrines above the actual word of God. People who prefer man’s doctrines above God’s word run the risk of getting what I call, “The Mad Hatter Syndrome.” Their minds become literally veiled from seeing the truth which according to Isaiah is a judgment from God. - Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near Me with their mouth, and with their lips do honor Me, but have removed their heart far from Me, and their fear toward Me is taught by the precept of men:
Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvelous work among this people, even a marvelous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid (Isaiah 29, 13,14).

Biblican

There is more than one source that refers us back to the doctrine's origins from a Jesuit priest. But that is irrelevant. The point is, the doctrine, no matter where it originated from is man made and contradicts the scriptures and the apostles on many counts. The apostles have to be the final authority or else we drift into apostasy. They did not teach preterism, it was never part of the original furniture, so to speak, therefore it should be rejected. There are many doctrines that were added after the first century that contradict what the apostles taught and I don't accept anything that was added after the fact, unless it confirms what the apostles actually taught. So should you.

There is more than one source that refers us back to the doctrine's origins from a Jesuit priest. But that is irrelevant. The point is, the doctrine, no matter where it originated from is man made and contradicts the scriptures and the apostles on many counts. The apostles have to be the final authority or else we drift into apostasy. They did not teach preterism, it was never part of the original furniture, so to speak, therefore it should be rejected. There are many doctrines that were added after the first century that contradict what the apostles taught and I don't accept anything that was added after the fact, unless it confirms what the apostles actually taught. So should you.

I think what the Apostles said is clear enough... They believed Jesus was coming in their lifetime... And again, what was meant by coming? It's not that hard... I agree with the Apostle's creed... Christ will return again physically one day... Go see my thread on that very topic...

Biblican

I think what the Apostles said is clear enough... They believed Jesus was coming in their lifetime... And again, what was meant by coming? It's not that hard... I agree with the Apostle's creed... Christ will return again physically one day... Go see my thread on that very topic...
Glad you agree with the Apostle's creed. Jesus did come as the Holy Spirit, and as you said He will return again physically. The early church lived with the expectancy that the Lord would return physically in their lifetimes, even though He did not. But they set the precedent for us as God intended. We should all live and work for the kingdom as if Jesus' physical return will be in our lifetimes even if it isn't. Blessing to you. - B.

Reformedguy

Glad you agree with the Apostle's creed. Jesus did come as the Holy Spirit, and as you said He will return again physically. The early church lived with the expectancy that the Lord would return physically in their lifetimes, even though He did not. But they set the precedent for us as God intended. We should all live and work for the kingdom as if Jesus' physical return will be in our lifetimes even if it isn't. Blessing to you. - B.
Where did they get the idea He would return in their lifetimes?

Biblican

From their writings it appears that they thought the Lord's return was very soon. They lived with that expectancy and therefore worked very hard for the kingdom to get as many souls as they could to Jesus. We should also be working with the same zeal and expectancy, even f the Lord does not return within our lifetimes. The point is we should emulate the zeal and perspective of the first century Christians.