The Prodigal Son

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

guest1

Luke 15:11-32
And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. 13 Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. 14 And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 16 And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.

17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ 20 And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.

25 “Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’”

Now notice that the Son was the following :

A ) he was dead
B ) he was lost

So we have a dead son who was lost and on his own realized that he was better off as a slave back at his Fathers house. So as one who is dead he realized his lost state and was able to make his own decision to repent and return to his Fathers house and become a servant. This is the opposite of what Calvinists teach.

We know that Salvation is of the Lord . We know that the Father was not obligated to forgive and restore the son. The son recognized his sin and repented of it and his Father forgave and restored him. The son humbled himself, God didn't, the son repented, God didn't do that for him by granting it to him, the dead son retuned home, the Father did not call him home. The Father restored the son after the son repented . Calvinists conflate Gods salvation( Savior ) and mans responsibility to humble themselves and repent of their sin.

hope this helps !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
And he said, “There was a man who had two sons. 12 And the younger of them said to his father, ‘Father, give me the share of property that is coming to me.’ And he divided his property between them. 13 Not many days later, the younger son gathered all he had and took a journey into a far country, and there he squandered his property in reckless living. 14 And when he had spent everything, a severe famine arose in that country, and he began to be in need. 15 So he went and hired himself out to one of the citizens of that country, who sent him into his fields to feed pigs. 16 And he was longing to be fed with the pods that the pigs ate, and no one gave him anything.

17 “But when he came to himself, he said, ‘How many of my father's hired servants have more than enough bread, but I perish here with hunger! 18 I will arise and go to my father, and I will say to him, “Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. 19 I am no longer worthy to be called your son. Treat me as one of your hired servants.”’ 20 And he arose and came to his father. But while he was still a long way off, his father saw him and felt compassion, and ran and embraced him and kissed him. 21 And the son said to him, ‘Father, I have sinned against heaven and before you. I am no longer worthy to be called your son.’ 22 But the father said to his servants, ‘Bring quickly the best robe, and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet. 23 And bring the fattened calf and kill it, and let us eat and celebrate. 24 For this my son was dead, and is alive again; he was lost, and is found.’ And they began to celebrate.

25 “Now his older son was in the field, and as he came and drew near to the house, he heard music and dancing. 26 And he called one of the servants and asked what these things meant. 27 And he said to him, ‘Your brother has come, and your father has killed the fattened calf, because he has received him back safe and sound.’ 28 But he was angry and refused to go in. His father came out and entreated him, 29 but he answered his father, ‘Look, these many years I have served you, and I never disobeyed your command, yet you never gave me a young goat, that I might celebrate with my friends. 30 But when this son of yours came, who has devoured your property with prostitutes, you killed the fattened calf for him!’ 31 And he said to him, ‘Son, you are always with me, and all that is mine is yours. 32 It was fitting to celebrate and be glad, for this your brother was dead, and is alive; he was lost, and is found.’”

A ) he was dead
B ) he was lost

So we have a dead son who was lost and on his own realized that he was better off as a slave back at his Fathers house. So as one who is dead he realized his lost state and was able to make his own decision to repent and return to his Fathers house and become a servant. This is the opposite of what Calvinists teach.

We know that Salvation is of the Lord . We know that the Father was not obligated to forgive and restore the son. The son recognized his sin and repented of it and his Father forgave and restored him. The son humbled himself, God didn't, the son repented, God didn't do that for him by granting it to him, the dead son retuned home, the Father did not call him home. The Father restored the son after the son repented . Calvinists conflate Gods salvation( Savior ) and mans responsibility to humble themselves and repent of their sin.

hope this helps !!!
But not without the prevening Efficacious Grace of God...

Right?

A ) he was dead
B ) he was lost

hope this helps !!!
Utter fail again.

No one teaches God repented for the Son. FAil

God does does grant repentance. Phil. 1:29. OPPS

Restored the Son? Did the Son lose his salvation only to regain it again?? OPPS

Also you say the Father did not call the Son home? So there is no gospel call?? OPPS

Utter fail again.

No one teaches God repented for the Son. FAil

God does does grant repentance. Phil. 1:29. OPPS

Restored the Son? Did the Son lose his salvation only to regain it again?? OPPS

Also you say the Father did not call the Son home? So there is no gospel call?? OPPS
is someone who is dead and lost - SAVED and ALIVE ?

It comes from Paul's words in Ephesians 2. These are the Theology Boards, not the Luke 15: 11-32 alone Boards...
I'm taking Jesus lesson from the text and comparing it to calvinism from the text. If you cannot stick to the text i the OP I understand. But feel free to start a thread on your own topic.

hope this helps !!!

So we have a dead son who was lost and on his own realized that he was better off as a slave back at his Fathers house.

Where does the passage say, "on his own"?
I can't find that part...

Also, you are IGNORING the fact that this parable is juxtaposed to:
1) parable of the lost coin;
2) parable of the lost sheep;

Did the coin get found "on its own", independently of the woman who was looking for it?
Did the sheep get found "on its own", independently of the shepherd who went searching for it, and brought it back to the 99?

Or do you think Jesus is contradicting Himself in these parables?

So as one who is dead he realized his lost state and was able to make his own decision to repent and return to his Fathers house and become a servant. This is the opposite of what Calvinists teach.

It's also opposite to what SCRIPTURE teaches.
I didn't see "make his own decision to repent".
Please quote it.

I'm sorry... I can't take a person seriously when he spells it "prodical"... :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

I'm taking Jesus lesson from the text and comparing it to calvinism from the text. If you cannot stick to the text i the OP I understand. But feel free to start a thread on your own topic.

hope this helps !!!
Can I please still Post here?

A ) he was dead
B ) he was lost

hope this helps !!!
Yikes!! ... ?

What does being dead mean in the Jewish culture of honor and shame and being disowned ?

a) separated from God - cannot respond like a corpse
b) inability or incapable

did the Father go to the pig pen and drag the son away irresistibly and make him come home ?

did the Father control the sons willingness to repent ?

where is Gods Sovereignty and determinism within calvinism in the story and why did Jesus leave that out of the story ?

the fact is there is no meticulous determinism in the story.

the story shows free will and mans choosing is the correct view. :)

nothing in this story affirms calvinists soteriology.

hope this helps !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back