The RCC teaches are refuted by scripture

The is too funny. We could say that the nCCs ignore scripture too:

- a person is justified by faith alone and not by works. Scripture says, "....a person is justified by works and not by faith alone."

Justified has two meanings--one, is declared not guilty; the other, proven. Since all over the NT it says that we are saved by God's grace through faith in Jesus Christ and not by any of our works, then the second definition is what James means, when read IN CONTEXT. Our faith is PROVEN by our works. People cannot see into our hearts, as God can, so our works demonstrate if we are in Christ Jesus or not. Jesus said that without Him we can do nothing. We branches must be attached to the Vine--Jesus Christ--to produce good fruit.

Theo1689, a good friend of mine, thoroughly exegeted this verse on the Mormon board some time ago. I cannot improve on it. Please kindly read it:

- the bread and wine are not the body and blood of Christ. Scripture says, "...this is my body....this is my blood of the covenant...."

I agree with you, but the bread and wine still remain bread and wine, after consecration. They are both the true body and blood of Jesus Christ in, with, and under the bread and wine, but also, still bread and wine. The Elements do NOT become ONLY Jesus' body and blood. Our senses tell us that they are still bread and wine. Plus, Jesus called what was in the cup during His Last Supper "the fruit of the vine." So, even He acknowledged that it was still wine. By extension, the bread is still bread. A mystery, to be sure, but one we Lutherans joyfully embrace.
This is even funnier in light of the fact that the nCCs claim that scripture alone is their final/sole authority.
No, not funny at all. At least they do not believe in indulgences; that obeying the Pope is necessary for salvation; praying to saints dead in the Lord; Mary as co-mediatrix, advocate for sinners, only hope for sinners, gate of heaven, Queen of heaven, etc.

Back