the real conspiracy theory is atheism.

Nouveau

No evidence here of atheism being a conspiracy theory. Just Steve posting a silly meme. There are of course many atheist physicists quite capable of debating the topic philosophically. Sean Carroll comes to mind. You'll find little discussion of God in physics departments because there is no hard evidence to discuss, and the God hypothesis provides nothing of value when it comes to doing actual science.

Authentic Nouveau

No evidence here of atheism being a conspiracy theory. Just Steve posting a silly meme. There are of course many atheist physicists quite capable of debating the topic philosophically. Sean Carroll comes to mind. You'll find little discussion of God in physics departments because there is no hard evidence to discuss, and the God hypothesis provides nothing of value when it comes to doing actual science.
Have you ever visited Physics DepT?

Imposter opinion

SteveB

Have you ever visited Physics DepT?

Imposter opinion
Far more than simply visiting. Actually having ensconced ones self, and made it an academic pursuit....
Only after having spent years in the dept, as a student, and an adult in my early 40's, and studied physics, do I recognize the sheer lunacy of speculative discussions, on meaningless ideas.....
Atheism truly is the greatest conspiracy theory of them all. Beyond UFO's, beyond political intrigue, beyond........
In physics, we deal in hard scientific investigation.

As the website I'd provided yesterday states----

"Science is the pursuit and application of knowledge and understanding of the natural and social world following a systematic methodology based on evidence."

https://sciencecouncil.org/abo.../our-definition-of-science/

I'm not seeing anything worthy of "belief in" in this definition.

Especially since the idea is--- pursuit and application of knowledge, to understand the natural and social world in which we live, so we can develop a systematic methodology to interpret that world, based on our observations of that world.

There's nothing that's observable in atheism. It's all mental. A complete lack of application of knowledge, a complete lack of understanding of the natural, and social world...... definitely lacking a systematic methodology based on evidence.

Which is why I stated---- once you leave the realm of the speculative, atheism is utterly useless.

Nouveau

Which is why I stated---- once you leave the realm of the speculative, atheism is utterly useless.
Just like not believing in leprechauns, which you also won't hear debated in physics departments.

The only thing atheism needs to achieve is the avoidance of one specific false belief.

SteveB

Just like not believing in leprechauns, which you also won't hear debated in physics departments.
Nope. We never discussed leprechauns in the physics dept.
We did however discuss things that you implicitly think are real because people who have letters attached to their names, but have no idea who they are.

The only thing atheism needs to achieve is the avoidance of one specific false belief.
Ironic..... seems like you've utterly failed then.
You're smack dab in the middle of that one specific belief you believe is false, because you're too afraid to actually find out for yourself.
Do you even fathom the depth of the position of irony you're in right now?

Nouveau

Nope. We never discussed leprechauns in the physics dept.
We did however discuss things that you implicitly think are real because people who have letters attached to their names, but have no idea who they are.

Ironic..... seems like you've utterly failed then.
You're smack dab in the middle of that one specific belief you believe is false, because you're too afraid to actually find out for yourself.
Do you even fathom the depth of the position of irony you're in right now?
I fathom the depth of irrelevant nonsense you are posting.

Torin

According to this survey, 40.8% of physicists say that they do not believe in God, and 29.4% of physicists say that they do not know whether there is a God and there is no way to find out. (In total, then, about 70% of physicists aren't theists.)

We also have a survey of the elite physicists and other scientists in the National Academy of Sciences: "We found the highest percentage of belief among NAS mathematicians (14.3% in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality)."

Finally, according to this survey, 41% of scientists in general don't believe in either God or a universal spirit / higher power.

Maybe @SteveB has other survey data I'm not aware of, though. Thoughts?

SteveB

I fathom the depth of irrelevant nonsense you are posting.
Ironic that you still think that your involvement is a requirement considering that you continue to view what I've been stating since 2012 as irrelevant. Perhaps it's actually you who've made yourself irrelevant.

SteveB

According to this survey, 40.8% of physicists say that they do not believe in God, and 29.4% of physicists say that they do not know whether there is a God and there is no way to find out. (In total, then, about 70% of physicists aren't theists.)

We also have a survey of the elite physicists and other scientists in the National Academy of Sciences: "We found the highest percentage of belief among NAS mathematicians (14.3% in God, 15.0% in immortality). Biological scientists had the lowest rate of belief (5.5% in God, 7.1% in immortality), with physicists and astronomers slightly higher (7.5% in God, 7.5% in immortality)."

Finally, according to this survey, 41% of scientists in general don't believe in either God or a universal spirit / higher power.

Maybe @SteveB has other survey data I'm not aware of, though. Thoughts?
So, this is somehow supposed to make ignorance valuable, and worthwhile?
You're going to have to explain that one to me.