The resurrection of Jesus is fact

SteveB

Actually, what you STATED was that my description sounded like a personal problem.
Nope. I just stated that it sounded like a personal problem.
Post in thread 'The resurrection of Jesus is fact' https://forums.carm.org/threads/the-resurrection-of-jesus-is-fact.3335/post-242836

So I'll reiterate, and add the statement--

So, if you're bothered by your issues with what I said, then you should deal with your problems with it.

You didn't say it was a problem for me, just that it was a personal problem. I agreed with the statement, because I did in fact think what I was describing was a personal problem: Yours.
I did say it sounded like a personal problem. I never said anything about it being my personal problem.
So, this would provide evidence that you are assuming facts not in evidence.

So, if you're bothered by your issues with what I said, then you should deal with your problems with it.

You then told told me to go stop it, I said I couldn't fix YOUR behavior, and you said that it was very revealing that I felt it was necessary to fix your behavior.
You should stop the practices that are causing you problems with your beliefs, especially those beliefs about other's activities.

Alas, I don't think it is necessary to fix your behavior, precisely because it is yours, and not mine, and I neither said nor implied that I did feel it was necessary to fix your behavior. Go back and read the thread. Think about it. See how that all works?
Then why did you make it an issue?
This makes you sound confused and conflicted about your beliefs and assumptions.

The story playing out in your head is different from what has happened. You are arguing with the clouds.
I don't have stories playing out in my head. I'm learning to work through doing what Jesus said matters. That's more than enough to keep my mind active and occupied for a lifetime and then some.

Indeed. And if I am hungry, I should eat, and if drowning, should surface for air. The profundity is overwhelming.
As are their importance.
Failure to eat for longer than 45 days will result in the body shutting down.
And not breathing for more than 6 minutes will result in your brain experiencing catastrophic damage.

Just like refusing to come to repentance with God and faith in Jesus will result in your experiencing catastrophic consequences of death to your humanity.

Algor

Nope. I just stated that it sounded like a personal problem.
Post in thread 'The resurrection of Jesus is fact' https://forums.carm.org/threads/the-resurrection-of-jesus-is-fact.3335/post-242836
Yes, you did.
So I'll reiterate, and add the statement--

If the premise is so, the conclusion follows, in a manner vacuous and trite.
I did say it sounded like a personal problem. I never said anything about it being my personal problem.
Right.
So, this would provide evidence that you are assuming facts not in evidence.
No. I agreed that it was a personal problem. My conclusion that it was your problem was not an assumption, and moreover was based on the facts in front of me (ie your weird babbling).
If the premise is correct, the conclusion follows, in a manner vacuous and trite.
You should stop the practices that are causing you problems with your beliefs, especially those beliefs about other's activities.
I agree.
Then why did you make it an issue?
I didn't.
This makes you sound confused and conflicted about your beliefs and assumptions.
Fine with me.
I don't have stories playing out in my head.
Your posts strongly suggest otherwise: you write narratives about me that include things that did not happen.
I'm learning to work through doing what Jesus said matters. That's more than enough to keep my mind active and occupied for a lifetime and then some.
How very very good of you.
As are their importance.
Failure to eat for longer than 45 days will result in the body shutting down.
And not breathing for more than 6 minutes will result in your brain experiencing catastrophic damage.
As usual, your wisdom provokes awe. You are a veritable font of.....
Just like refusing to come to repentance with God and faith in Jesus will result in your experiencing catastrophic consequences of death to your humanity.
....never mind...

SteveB

Yes, you did.
Show me.

If the premise is so, the conclusion follows, in a manner vacuous and trite.
Your biases and preconceptions.

Right.

No. I agreed that it was a personal problem. My conclusion that it was your problem was not an assumption, and moreover was based on the facts in front of me (ie your weird babbling).
YOUR CONCLUSION. Aka bias and preconceptions.
Just because you make a choice to believe something doesn't make it true. It just means that you assumed something based entirely on your beliefs.

If the premise is correct, the conclusion follows, in a manner vacuous and trite.
Bias and preconceptions.

I agree.

I didn't.

Fine with me.

Your posts strongly suggest otherwise: you write narratives about me that include things that did not happen.
And yet you have chosen to make it about me, when it speaks more to your biases and preconceptions.

How very very good of you.

As usual, your wisdom provokes awe. You are a veritable font of.....

....never mind...
Your preconceptions and beliefs.

Nouveau

Show me.

Just because you make a choice to believe something doesn't make it true. It just means that you assumed something based entirely on your beliefs.

Bias and preconceptions.

And yet you have chosen to make it about me, when it speaks more to your biases and preconceptions.

Interesting how everyone else's evidence-based conclusions are mere "biases and preconceptions" while Steve's constant strawman misrepresentations are just his careful "observations".

SteveB

Interesting how everyone else's evidence-based conclusions are mere "biases and preconceptions" while Steve's constant strawman misrepresentations are just his careful "observations".
Irritating isn't it!

Why do you think that I perceive it in this way?
Or do you see this as a strawman too?

Algor

You posted the link. I just agreed with you.
My judgement, based on what you post. Live with it.
Whatever lets you sleep at night, SteveB.
Ho hum.
Bias and preconceptions.
doodley dooo.....
What evverrrrr
Fascinating.
Is this SteveB Biblical Logic, or just more you whining? It sounds like you whining.

SteveB

No, it's just an incredibly obvious double standard.

Probably a lack of self awareness and critical thought.
Pity you've never actually learned anything from the past 8+ years.

God's Wisdom sees into the depths of our beings.

Heb 4:12-13 WEB 12 For the word of God is living and active, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and is able to discern the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 There is no creature that is hidden from his sight, but all things are naked and laid open before the eyes of him to whom we must give an account.

SteveB

You posted the link. I just agreed with you.

My judgement, based on what you post. Live with it.

Whatever lets you sleep at night, SteveB.

Ho hum.

doodley dooo.....

What evverrrrr

Fascinating.
Is this SteveB Biblical Logic, or just more you whining? It sounds like you whining.
Nope.
Simple observations.

Nouveau

Pity you've never actually learned anything from the past 8+ years.
More obvious projection from one who still hasn't learned what terms like confirmation bias, testing, logic, or evidence mean.

God's Wisdom sees into the depths of our beings.
Whereas Steve's 'wisdom' consists entirely of a double standard, strawmanning and projection.

Algor

Nope.
Simple observations.
Simple observation lead you to the conclusion that I was basing my beliefs on Voltaire's and Paine's experiences?
LOL. All I can say is that anyone who knows me would find this very very funny.

But it still sounds like you whining.

SteveB

More obvious projection from one who still hasn't learned what terms like confirmation bias, testing, logic, or evidence mean.
Well, as you clearly have never actually been able, let alone willing to demonstrate that you have the ability to describe what they are, I find myself considering the statement I've seen over the years,

Never let anyone who has done nothing tell you how to do anything.

Thank you for your inexperienced comments though. It's always helpful to learn how much contempt and disgust you have towards me.

Whereas Steve's 'wisdom' consists entirely of a double standard, strawmanning and projection.
Yep.

SteveB

Simple observation lead you to the conclusion that I was basing my beliefs on Voltaire's and Paine's experiences?
No. You provided that all by your lonesome.
You're just showing that you're hiding behind a couple of dead guys.

LOL. All I can say is that anyone who knows me would find this very very funny.
And yet you continue to fail to simply engage Jesus for yourself and need to make it about someone else.

But it still sounds like you whining.
Case in point.

Nouveau

Well, as you clearly have never actually been able, let alone willing to demonstrate that you have the ability to describe what they are...
Another lie. Or maybe you just haven't been paying attention to the many times I've explicitly explained these terms to you. In any case, you still haven't learned what they mean. For all your talk of reading and learning, you don't seem to do much of either here.

Don't worry. I won't.

Nouveau

Well, as you clearly have never actually been able, let alone willing to demonstrate that you have the ability to describe what they are...
Not that you're likely to benefit from this, but it's trivially easy to once again prove you wrong:

Confirmation Bias
The tendency to search for, interpret, and favour information that supports one's existing beliefs, while giving less weight, attention, or consideration to information that may conflict with those beliefs. Colloquially, it is counting the hits while ignoring the misses.

Testing
A procedure that could potentially show an idea, claim, or hypothesis to be wrong when the test is performed correctly, i.e. even if the claim happens to be true, a test must be such that if the claim had instead been wrong then the test would have shown this. Note also that getting the predicted result doesn't mean a test has proven the idea right unless the result would not have occurred (or would have been very unlikely to have occurred) without the idea being true.

Logic
The study of inference and the formal validity of arguments. Arguments are analyzed in terms of their premises and conclusions, and valid forms of inference are distinguished from invalid forms. The inference involved may be deductive (where premises guarantee the conclusion) or inductive (probabilistic). Areas include propositional logic, predicate logic, and modal logic.

Evidence
That upon which justified beliefs are held. Something is evidence for something else if (and only if) that something else better explains that evidence than does any other alternative explanation. Note that A is not evidence for B just because one believes that B caused or created A. Evidence can be conceptual, based on the necessary relations of ideas, or it can be empirical, based on the contingent facts revealed by experience.

Last edited: