The Return of Christ

Yodas_Prodigy

Scripture is clear that Jesus Christ will return to Earth physically in the future.

11 who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”

2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

Here is one reason Full Preterism is false...

Tercon

Scripture is clear that Jesus Christ will return to Earth physically in the future.

11 who also said, “Men of Galilee, why do you stand gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus, who was taken up from you into heaven, will so come in like manner as you saw Him go into heaven.”

2 In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. 4 And where I go you know, and the way you know.”

Was he taken into heaven in his physical body or his glorified body?

Are we becoming spiritual beings like God or is God becoming physical like us, I mean are we to become like Him or is He supposed to become like us?

Yodas_Prodigy

Was he taken into heaven in his physical body or his glorified body?

Are we becoming spiritual beings like God or is God becoming physical like us, I mean are we to become like Him or is He supposed to become like us?
What's your point?

Tercon

What's your point?
I am just asking a couple of questions, because the answer might shed some some light on whether "Jesus Christ will return to Earth physically in the future". All I am doing is applying logic to the verses you quoted.

And if we becoming spiritual beings like God rather than God becoming physical like us, and we are to become like Him, rather than He becoming like us, then maybe we are going to Him in a spiritual form rather than him coming to us in the physical. Remember, he has already done that for us in order for us to become the children of God.

Yodas_Prodigy

I am just asking a couple of questions, because the answer might shed some some light on whether "Jesus Christ will return to Earth physically in the future". All I am doing is applying logic to the verses you quoted.

And if we becoming spiritual beings like God rather than God becoming physical like us, and we are to become like Him, rather than He becoming like us, then maybe we are going to Him in a spiritual form rather than him coming to us in the physical. Remember, he has already done that for us in order for us to become the children of God.
Jesus was taken to Heaven in a physically resurrected body. He could be touched. He ate...

We will have a physical resurrected body. 1Corinthian 15:44 let's us know that... Wayne Grudem explains it this way, "It is sown a natural body subject to the characteristics and desires of this age, and governed by its own sinful will, but it is raised a spiritual body, completely subject to the will of the Holy Spirit and responsive to the Holy Spirit’s guidance.” He continues, “Such a body is not at all “nonphysical,” but it is a physical body raised to the degree of perfection for which God originally intended it.”

Tercon

Jesus was taken to Heaven in a physically resurrected body. He could be touched. He ate...

We will have a physical resurrected body. 1Corinthian 15:44 let's us know that... Wayne Grudem explains it this way, "It is sown a natural body subject to the characteristics and desires of this age, and governed by its own sinful will, but it is raised a spiritual body, completely subject to the will of the Holy Spirit and responsive to the Holy Spirit’s guidance.” He continues, “Such a body is not at all “nonphysical,” but it is a physical body raised to the degree of perfection for which God originally intended it.”
And if it is "a spiritual body" and God is Spirit, then it is the spiritual part that is important.

Yodas_Prodigy

And if it is "a spiritual body" and God is Spirit, then it is the spiritual part that is important.

No... For us, it is the restoration of what YHWH had intended from the beginning... Adam would not have died had he not sinned... The primary difference between us and Adam is that we will not sin after the resurrection...

Tercon

No... For us, it is the restoration of what YHWH had intended from the beginning... Adam would not have died had he not sinned... The primary difference between us and Adam is that we will not sin after the resurrection...

I guess we are looking at it differently. Our physical body is like a rock, and in as much as the physical side of us is knowable, the physical side isn't knowable to us like our spiritual side; like a believing mind is knowable to us.

My response would be that Jesus is still man, thus while He is glorified as God in His spirit, the human side of Him still retains the same qualities that make Him human. Even though His body was glorified (transformed to endure eternity), He retains His humanity. He must to be our One Mediator. I believe 1 Cor. 15 speaks to our resurrection and transformation as physical. Our frail, physical bodies that suffer entropy and death will be transformed into a physical body capable of withstanding eternity (outside of time and space). What that looks like or how that works in terms of protons, neutrons, and electrons is not given for us to know. But we can know at least this much based on 1 Cor. 15.

For more on this you can read my article at the link below, but it is not necessary to the point above. Just a supplement. :)

Tonyg

How did they see him go into heaven? It is often assumed that him must return to Earth to physically walk the earth and set up a 1,000 year kingdom with him sitting on a throne in jerusalem. If one doesn't attend that assumption, but rather assumes simply a return in the clouds of heaven especially if those that are lower in the atmosphere, then one is open to the possibility that Jesus returned in the visitors of Roman soldiers that were manifest in the clouds on May 2nd of 66 ad. See in verse 9 as to how he went into heaven with an emphasis of going into heaven as compared with being lifted up from the Earth. He went into heaven in a cloud.

Act 1:9-11 YLT 9 And these things having said--they beholding--he was taken up, and a cloud did receive him up from their sight; 10 and as they were looking stedfastly to the heaven in his going on, then, lo, two men stood by them in white apparel, 11 who also said, 'Men, Galileans, why do ye stand gazing into the heaven? this Jesus who was received up from you into the heaven, shall so come in what manner ye saw him going on to the heaven.'

As for John 17:3; when we look at the surrounding context we realize that Jesus is in a conversation primarily with Peter but also extending to the disciples. He has told Peter that he must shortly go. He is referring to his going to the father through the process of his crucifixion If we include the judgment seat of the ancient of days in Daniel chapter 7 as pertaining to the time directly after Christ's Resurrection, then we understand that Christ needed to ascend to the father to be judged righteous and his doctrine true before returning to the populace of Judea. In going to prepare a place for Peter and the other disciples, he was judicially preparing a righteous standing with the father for their present time lives, for believing in him. This would be necessary as Jesus himself would be leaving them.

So including Daniel 7 where a son of man comes into the presence of the ancient of days and is given the kingdom, this seems to refer to Jesus coming to the father on the day of his resurrection but before the evening of his appearance to the disciples. Thus his statement of going to prepare a place and to come again and receive them unto himself was or could have been referring to the very evening of the day of the Resurrection where he opened his arms to them welcomingly or recievingly.