The Roman Catholic Priesthood

RayneBeau

When did Jesus institute the Roman Catholic sacrament they call "Holy Orders" aka: the Roman Catholic priesthood?

Nondenom40

When did Jesus institute the Roman Catholic sacrament they call "Holy Orders" aka: the Roman Catholic priesthood?
Catholics say at the last supper when He washed their feet. I don't think the apostles got it. None of them thought they were sacerdotal priests that were somehow different than the priesthood of believers. Another extremely weak argument on their side. I think if Jesus really intended to make them some sort of special class of priest He would have made it much clearer. This is on the same level of proof as the papacy, marian dogmas, confession, purgatory....We are to believe in the papacy because Jesus said to Peter; feed my sheep? But catholics lap this stuff up.

RayneBeau

Thanks for the memory refresher. 🤔 I do remember being taught that the RCC claims that their priesthood was founded at the Last Supper, but I was thinking that the nuns taught us that it happened when (as they believe) Jesus changed bread and wine into His own body and blood and He told the apostles to "do this in memory of me," and that it was from that moment forward when he conferred onto the apostles the "power" necessary to turn ordinary bread and wine into Christ's real body and real blood, and that it was hence called the "Sacrifice of the Mass."

Nondenom40

Thanks for the memory refresher. 🤔 I do remember being taught that the RCC claims that their priesthood was founded at the Last Supper, but I was thinking that the nuns taught us that it happened when (as they believe) Jesus changed bread and wine into His own body and blood and He told the apostles to "do this in memory of me," and that it was from that moment forward when he conferred onto the apostles the "power" necessary to turn ordinary bread and wine into Christ's real body and real blood, and that it was hence called the "Sacrifice of the Mass."
Ya, i think thats right too. Still, its a very vague 'revealing' on Jesus' part of them being priests. But vague is the rc hermenutic.

jonathan_hili

It's difficult to pinpoint a singular moment because there are several points within scripture to indicate it; however, the clearest is the Last Supper: the washing of the feet and institution of the Eucharist.

balshan

He never did and He never gave the apostles this so called indelible mark. This mark seems to give priests a false sense of their importance. He also never made them mini me.

RayneBeau

It's difficult to pinpoint a singular moment because there are several points within scripture to indicate it; however, the clearest is the Last Supper: the washing of the feet and institution of the Eucharist.
In posting about Roman Catholic priests, what is the primary ministry of a Roman Catholic priest, according to Scripture?

nan

The only reason you have difficulty giving life to your assertion is because it is nowhere to be found in the word of God.

In John 13 Jesus took on the role of the lowliest servant. The one who washed the filthy feet of those entering his master’s home, a demeaning task to be sure.

Jesus gave them an illustration of the humility to be shown to one another. Jesus said, ‘a servant is not greater than his master’ and He gave them an example that should be done by them as Jesus did.

There’s not a scintilla of evidence for the rite of holy orders and institution of RC priesthood.

mica

The only reason you have difficulty giving life to your assertion is because it is nowhere to be found in the word of God.

In John 13 Jesus took on the role of the lowliest servant. The one who washed the filthy feet of those entering his master’s home, a demeaning task to be sure.

Jesus gave them an illustration of the humility to be shown to one another. Jesus said, ‘a servant is not greater than his master’ and He gave them an example that should be done by them as Jesus did.

There’s not a scintilla of evidence for the rite of holy orders and institution of RC priesthood.
Sadly, the RCC and its pretenders believe it / they are the Master(s).

jonathan_hili

Was Judas ordained?
Maybe. It's debated whether he was, as in John 13 Judas actually leaves the Last Supper. The question is, of course, at what point. However, whether Judas was ordained or not doesn't really affect priestly ordination as far as I can see.

balshan

Maybe. It's debated whether he was, as in John 13 Judas actually leaves the Last Supper. The question is, of course, at what point. However, whether Judas was ordained or not doesn't really affect priestly ordination as far as I can see.
No but he is the excuse used for allowing all those sinful priests to remain priests.

jonathan_hili

Jesus wasn't just washing their feet, he was also sharing his ministry in doing so. Apart from the ties to Old Testament priestly ordination, it's significant that Jesus says to Peter that if he does not wash him, he can have "no part" of Jesus. Just as the Levites had no land - their "part" (same word in Greek) was the Lord - so here, Jesus is giving the apostles himself as their "part".

jonathan_hili

No but he is the excuse used for allowing all those sinful priests to remain priests.
If you couldn't allow sinful priests to remain priests, you'd have zero priests. We're all sinners.

Now, if you mean that clerical abuses should not be ignored but stamped out, I thoroughly agree.

balshan

If you couldn't allow sinful priests to remain priests, you'd have zero priests. We're all sinners.

Now, if you mean that clerical abuses should not be ignored but stamped out, I thoroughly agree.
I would say all your sinful priests, bishops, cardinals should be stamped out. I mean look at the Vatican finances as another example of the fact that your church says one thing and its leaders does another. All those who hide evil should be stamped out.

No priests could be an great improvement.

jonathan_hili

I would say all your sinful priests, bishops, cardinals should be stamped out. I mean look at the Vatican finances as another example of the fact that your church says one thing and its leaders does another. All those who hide evil should be stamped out.

No priests could be an great improvement.
If you stamp out all sinful clerics, then that's everyone. So, that means, nobody will be ministering in the Church.

Not even Jesus as a priest?

jonathan_hili

Oh so Jesus is sinful, where is that found? Jesus is the only priest needed and He is the High priest. He is not sinful.
Not that he's sinful but that he's a priest. Priests have always been central to God's plan. In fact, you'd even accept that Christians are a priestly people.