The Roman Catholic Priesthood

jonathan_hili

what sacraments do any 'priests' in NT time 'minister' to God's people? What about those who are not God's people?
Well, from what we see in scripture: baptism (and presumably some is baptised into God's people), Eucharist, reconciliation, anointing, and ordination (through laying on of hands).

mica

mica said:
what sacraments do any 'priests' in NT time 'minister' to God's people? What about those who are not God's people?

Well, from what we see in scripture: baptism (and presumably some is baptised into God's people),
Only those who ARE God's people are water baptized. I am assuming you are speaking of water baptism since that is all that catholics seem to understand by the word baptism.

Eucharist, reconciliation, anointing, and ordination (through laying on of hands).
the catholic eucharist is not part of Christianity and isn't a sacrament. what do you mean by 'reconciliation '? anointing for what? any believer can anoint another. laying on of hands is not a sacrament and it isn't restricted to ordination.

RayneBeau

Well, from what we see in scripture: baptism (and presumably some is baptised into God's people), Eucharist, reconciliation, anointing, and ordination (through laying on of hands).
Sorry, but I don't see anything in Scripture where any kind of power was bestowed on priests for consecrating and offering the true body and blood of the Lord.

RayneBeau

Where do you see in the NT any display of "reconciliation" aka the forgiving and retaining of sins being performed by Roman Catholic priests?

balshan

Not that he's sinful but that he's a priest. Priests have always been central to God's plan. In fact, you'd even accept that Christians are a priestly people.
Really, no I wouldn't because just because a person says they are a Christian means nothing especially if their fruit is rotten. Only true believers are saints, all believers are messengers with a message from God for others. 1Peter 2:5 is not talking about people who are not true believers and the sacrifices acceptable to God are not the re- torturing of his Son, sunday after sunday.

Beloved Daughter

Thanks for the memory refresher. 🤔 I do remember being taught that the RCC claims that their priesthood was founded at the Last Supper, but I was thinking that the nuns taught us that it happened when (as they believe) Jesus changed bread and wine into His own body and blood and He told the apostles to "do this in memory of me," and that it was from that moment forward when he conferred onto the apostles the "power" necessary to turn ordinary bread and wine into Christ's real body and real blood, and that it was hence called the "Sacrifice of the Mass."

It's easier to make things up than studying the scriptures. RCC is a lazy religion, and makes lazy catholics. There are exceptions. But we see this on a daily basis. All of the nonsense about Mary, Peter the 1st Pope, purgatory, the so-called another Christ's..............