The Roman Catholic Priesthood

jonathan_hili

Only those who ARE God's people are water baptized. I am assuming you are speaking of water baptism since that is all that catholics seem to understand by the word baptism.

the catholic eucharist is not part of Christianity and isn't a sacrament. what do you mean by 'reconciliation '? anointing for what? any believer can anoint another. laying on of hands is not a sacrament and it isn't restricted to ordination.
I'm just responding to the question that was asked. If you wish to deny what Christians have believed since the beginning and what is still believed by the earliest representatives of the faith still around today, I can but shrug.

jonathan_hili

Really, no I wouldn't because just because a person says they are a Christian means nothing especially if their fruit is rotten. Only true believers are saints, all believers are messengers with a message from God for others. 1Peter 2:5 is not talking about people who are not true believers and the sacrifices acceptable to God are not the re- torturing of his Son, sunday after sunday.
Either you don't understand Catholic teaching or you're deliberately presenting a caricature of it. I'm happy to discuss the Eucharist from a Catholic perspective but we need to understand as fairly as possible where each of us is coming from.

jonathan_hili

So, in the exercise of his responsibilities to minister the sacraments, specifically in the sacrifice of the Mass and through confession and penance, the Roman Catholic priest is a mediator?
Sure, just as you are a mediator when you present the gospel to someone. God is pleased to work through us to achieved His good purpose.

RayneBeau

You mean they don't have two eyes, two ears, a heart, a mind...? So, your claim must also mean that no Catholic priest can be a Christian?
Does the Bible teach that the Lord Jesus Christ instituted a special class of men in the church to be known as 'Roman Catholic priests' who would be given the authority to reconcile men with God through the Mass and through confession and penance?

mica

I'm just responding to the question that was asked. If you wish to deny what Christians have believed since the beginning and what is still believed by the earliest representatives of the faith still around today, I can but shrug.
which catholics do in response to most teachings of Jesus and the apostles.

RayneBeau

How do you understand what a priest is?
It doesn't matter what my understanding is of a priest is, jonathan. All sacrifices have now been abolished because the "once for all" sacrifice of Jesus Christ is complete. Since the sacrifices have been abolished, there is no longer any need for a priesthood.

RayneBeau

Sure, just as you are a mediator when you present the gospel to someone. God is pleased to work through us to achieved His good purpose.
And how many people who are "mediators" by presenting the gospel to someone also offers the 'sacrifice of the mass,'
hears confession of sins, and gives absolution?

mica

There is one mediator between man and God and that is Christ and His shed blood,. It doesn't matter how many popes, bishops or priests you have - or even Mary, none of them are the Way to God.

balshan

Either you don't understand Catholic teaching or you're deliberately presenting a caricature of it. I'm happy to discuss the Eucharist from a Catholic perspective but we need to understand as fairly as possible where each of us is coming from.
No I am not presenting a caricature of it. I was brought up in the RC faith so no need to discuss the Catholic perspective, it was drummed into me from the time I could walk. By the way what I said about fruit was the truth and is scriptural. No need for sacrifices, there is only one sacrifice that counts and it is not your eucharist/communion.