The Rosary

balshan

Even if you repeat the Hail Mary 10 times as often as the "Our Father" and I don't know how many times more than the "Glory Be" or "Apostles Creed"?
This is the sequence of prayers from the Catholic bishops site, USCCB.

1. Make the Sign of the Cross.
  2. Holding the Crucifix, say the Apostles' Creed.
  3. On the first bead, say an Our Father.
  4. Say one Hail Mary on each of the next three beads.
  5. Say the Glory Be
  6. For each of the five decades, announce the Mystery (perhaps followed by a brief reading from Scripture) then say the Our Father.
  7. While fingering each of the ten beads of the decade, next say ten Hail Marys while meditating on the Mystery. Then say a Glory Be.
    (After finishing each decade, some say the following prayer requested by the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima: O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell; lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who have most need of your mercy.)
  8. After saying the five decades, say the Hail, Holy Queen, followed by this dialogue and prayer:
    V. Pray for us, O holy Mother of God.
    R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
    Let us pray: O God, whose Only Begotten Son, by his life, Death, and Resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech thee, that while meditating on these mysteries of the most holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
I will be honest I do not remember doing step 8.

pilgrim

Even if you repeat the Hail Mary 10 times as often as the "Our Father" and I don't know how many times more than the "Glory Be" or "Apostles Creed"?
So 10 Hail Marys = 1 Our Father.

Why do you have a problem with that?

Theo1689

So 10 Hail Marys = 1 Our Father.

Why do you have a problem with that?

Why do you play these stupid games, pilgrim?
These prayers are "penance', which is a form of recompense.

So let's see if we can make sense out of this.
Let's say the Hail Mary is worth $1, and the Our Father is worth $10 in penance.

So ten Hail Mary's and one Our Father would be worth $20.

Now let's say the Hail Mary is worth $10, and the Our Father is worth $1 in penance.
That would make 10 Hail Mary's and 1 Our Father worth $101.

So it's clear that Romanists believe the Hail Mary is FAR more valuable.

RiJoRi

5. Say the Glory Be
  6. For each of the five decades, announce the Mystery (perhaps followed by a brief reading from Scripture) then say the Our Father.
  7. While fingering each of the ten beads of the decade, next say ten Hail Marys while meditating on the Mystery. Then say a Glory Be.
    (After finishing each decade, some say the following prayer requested by the Blessed Virgin Mary at Fatima: O my Jesus, forgive us our sins, save us from the fires of hell; lead all souls to Heaven, especially those who have most need of your mercy.)
  8. After saying the five decades, say the Hail, Holy Queen, followed by this dialogue and prayer:
    Let us pray: O God, whose Only Begotten Son, by his life, Death, and Resurrection, has purchased for us the rewards of eternal life, grant, we beseech thee, that while meditating on these mysteries of the most holy Rosary of the Blessed Virgin Mary, we may imitate what they contain and obtain what they promise, through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.
So a "rosarist" prays to Mary 9 times more than they do to the Father. (I do not consider the "Glory Be" to be a prayer, as it is a statement of belief not addressed to anyone.)

--Rich

Arch Stanton

He wasn't? Yes, he was. If you are claiming otherwise you are stating He was lying when He said what is recorded in the gospel of Matthew.

I can't believe you actually wrote this...how desperate are you to disavow the repetitious prayers of the rosary that you would call into question, again, what Jesus said in the gospel of Matthew! Wow. Just wow!

Your argument is absurd and made out of denial and desperation to try and validate RCism's clear and purposeful ignoring of Scripture. Let alone the fact RC's are praying to a human, not to God. Incredibly blasphemous.

Hello! That is how you should pray because Jesus says so, not vain and repetitious rosary prayers as designed by the musings and philosophizing of the men who created your religious belief system and who tell you it's okay to do so.

Appealing to prayers to the Father, in the presence of the Father, as an example of "repetitious prayers" that are acceptable are another example of you trying to poison the well and mislead others into conduct that is wrong. Just wrong. Including praying to the RC caricature of Jesus' mom. A human who does not have godlike attributes, possesses no omniscience but is ascribed to be nearly a demigod by you RC's.

For the lurkers and visitors, that I presume Arch is addressing in his replies, read the Scripture. It couldn't be any clearer. Let the Scripture, breathed by the Holy Spirit, teach and correct, not the RC institution, not Arch or me.

He admonished us NOT to pray like the pagans did, and now Hindus, Muslims and like RC's do with the rosary.
I didn't write it.

Lastdaysbeliever

I didn't write it.
If not you then who? And if not you, irrespective of typical Arch trying to distance yourself from this ludicrous Scripture denying claim "First, Jesus is not condemning repetitious prayer per se." you quoted so, consequently, you are advancing that claim. But Scripture is clear and tells us the truth. So either Jesus WAS condemning repetitious prayer, which Scripture attests to, or He was lying and wasn't really, actually condemning repetitious prayers because RCism says saying the rosary and its repetitious prayers is not repetitious prayers so according to RCism and the quoted author, Jesus was lying or didn't really mean what He said.

Last edited:

Lastdaysbeliever

You should care since you attributed it to me....quite disingenuous
Attributed quotes are usually enclosed on "- "'s. You fail at even the most basic concepts of proper accreditation.And you, as the quoter of said quote, are responsible for the content. So, you not only try to avoid responsibility for your failures but try to make it appear I was disingenuous. You are nearly intolerable as a commentator and sadly, not an honest man.

Lastdaysbeliever

Did you see the [ ] at the end? Just like the [ ] used when we quote the ECF's (y)
Always excuses for you Arch.
Judging? 🙏🙏🙏 for you LDB
I am judging you by your lack of honesty, your inability to admit when you made a mistake. That is not the type of judgment you are claiming Arch. It's the fruit you bear.

John 7:24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

Lastdaysbeliever

just simple [ ]
Triple-down on your failure, just more and more excuses.
I am judging you by your lack of honesty, your inability to admit when you made a mistake. That is not the type of judgment you are claiming Arch. It's the fruit you bear.

John 7:24 "Do not judge according to appearance, but judge with righteous judgment.”

RayneBeau

5. Say the Glory Be
To say that the Roman Catholic Marian rosary with it's "Hail Holy Queen" wording, is pure blasphemy - and that's putting it mildly. Can the Church of Rome explain why Roman Catholic Mary is sited in prayer and explained as the self-exhonorated: "Holy Queen" and 'Mother of Mercy?' So every time a Roman Catholic recites the words of that man-made prayer they can trace it back to something they had to memorize in the past - in Roman Catholic indoctrination classes. And every time a Roman Catholic recites that ingrained false prayer they are in reality saying that they will continue being the way the Roman Catholic inquisitors trained them to always be and worship Mary.