The Science of Climate Change ( not the Politics )

inertia

UN Climate Report - Switzerland

Our planet's temperature rise will likely breach 1.5 deg. C in the 2030's according to a number of "several landmark findings on the causes, impacts and solutions to climate change that have been released since 2018".

Projected Average Annual Temperature Change.jpg

_______.

The working group 1 of the UN's IPPC that deals with the science doesnt use the words of the UN politicians. It doesnt tally.

The working group 1 of the UN's IPPC that deals with the science doesnt use the words of the UN politicians. It doesnt tally.

Well, politicians will always work in the arena of politics, and their job can be difficult, but physicists have a different job entirely where measurements coupled with mathematical models that explain physical reality must be consistent with well understood parameters. In the end, all of the models are weighed by how they fare when compared with hard-cold experimental facts.

Well, politicians will always work in the arena of politics, and their job can be difficult, but physicists have a different job entirely where measurements coupled with mathematical models that explain physical reality must be consistent with well understood parameters. In the end, all of the models are weighed by how they fare when compared with hard-cold experimental facts.

But as we can see , politicians misrepresent.

Indeed, their narratives are designed to promote the interests of their constituents. That's expected.

It's good to have a solid reference that directly addresses the whims of nations concerning physical phenomena. Physics works regardless of human preferences. Emission spectra is one window of knowledge that speaks volumes.

Global mean emission spectra model compared to AIRS measurements.jpg
Credit: R.T. Pierrehumbert, "Infrared radiation and planetary temperature", Physics Today, AIP 2011

Measurements showing CO2 and O3 atmospheric absorption from the Atmospheric Infrared Sounder (AIRS) were compared to a well understood model of the Earth's atmospheric irradiance (albedo). As you can see from the data above carbon dioxide and ozone contributes significantly in retaining heat.

But as we can see , politicians misrepresent.
I get so tired of hearing about this crap. Obviously climate changes. What is the big deal?

Now they’re saying that California is going to experience an El Nine’o (el nino)

Well …….I’m not going to worry about it unless it turns into an El Ten’o!

I get so tired of hearing about this crap. Obviously climate changes. What is the big deal?

Now they’re saying that California is going to experience an El Nine’o (el nino)

This thread is not about the politics of climate change, but just the scientific facts. Consideration of how seriously we should take this threat is not appropriate for this thread because that is just politics.

Our planet's temperature rise will likely breach 1.5 deg. C in the 2030's according to a number of "several landmark findings on the causes, impacts and solutions to climate change that have been released since 2018".

View attachment 3899

_______.

Using the statement,
Science of climate change, not the politics....

Climate changes. There have been fluctuations for millennia.
If our climate was actually static, we'd not be able to live on planet earth.
As far as I've been able to ascertain, it's a cyclical system that fluctuates, just enough to scare the fearful (those who have deluded themselves into thinking they can control what is beyond their control), and allows the rest of us to learn to adapt.

Personally, I look forward to opening up real estate in Greenland and Antarctica. Two more continents to expand the human race into.

Using the statement,
Science of climate change, not the politics....

Oh yes. We have been living in a relatively stable temperature range for a while. The conditions are just right for agriculture, navigation of seas, and population growth.

Vastok Ice Core Data.jpg

Glacial and Interglacial CO2 concentration.jpg

As far as I've been able to ascertain, it's a cyclical system that fluctuates, just enough to scare the fearful (those who have deluded themselves into thinking they can control what is beyond their control), and allows the rest of us to learn to adapt.

Adaptation - humans have been good at that. In my opinion adapting fusion energy will be very helpful in this regard.

Personally, I look forward to opening up real estate in Greenland and Antarctica. Two more continents to expand the human race into.

TBD

References:

- Ice core data
- Data from Nature (Vostok ice core, Antarctica)

Oh yes. We have been living in a relatively stable temperature range for a while. The conditions are just right for agriculture, navigation of seas, and population growth.

View attachment 4154

View attachment 4155

Adaptation - humans have been good at that. In my opinion adapting fusion energy will be very helpful in this regard.

TBD

References:

- Ice core data
- Data from Nature (Vostok ice core, Antarctica)

More on ice core data with respect to the Earth's precession, eccentricity, and obliquity-

_____

Last edited:

The tree ring circus ring leader missed predicting the Pause by a mile.

The tree ring circus ring leader missed predicting the Pause by a mile.

Science News (April 2022):

"....in 2015, a team led by researchers at the U.S. National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration published a jaw-dropping conclusion in the journal Science. The rise in global temperatures had not plateaued; rather, incomplete data had obscured ongoing global warming. When more Arctic temperature records were included and biases in ocean temperature data were corrected, the NOAA dataset showed the heat-up continuing. With the newly corrected data, the apparent pause in global warming vanished. A 2017 study led by Hausfather confirmed and extended these findings..."

This thread is not about the politics of climate change, but just the scientific facts. Consideration of how seriously we should take this threat is not appropriate for this thread because that is just politics.
Then why did the tree ring circus ring leader Mike Mannn miss predicting the PAUSE?

The Pause was a threat to the gravy train.

The political activists like yourself and @inertia are not prepared to discuss facts.

Your fake scientists waste our time with tipping point predictions.

View attachment 3899

_______.

Political hype from the klowns who predicted the opposite of a Pause.

Now show us why NONE of Mikes Minnnions predicted the Pause?

Then why did the tree ring circus ring leader Mike Mannn miss predicting the PAUSE?

The Pause was a threat to the gravy train.

The political activists like yourself and @inertia are not prepared to discuss facts.

Your fake scientists waste our time with tipping point predictions.
This thread is not about politics. It is only about the science. If you want to discuss the politics of it you can go to the Society, Ethics, and Politics forum and get much more exposure.

That is a misunderstanding of what "climate change" means. It does not mean the normal cyclical changes we call summer, fall, winter, and spring, or any other known cyclical changes that stay within a range that has been normal for the past several millennia. It is about exceptional changes in climate outside of the range to which we have adapted.

As far as I've been able to ascertain, it's a cyclical system that fluctuates,.....
Scientists have been able to ascertain more than that you have, apparently. Exactly what systematic world-wide measurements have you been making to give you the confidence that your observations are sufficient?

just enough to scare the fearful (those who have deluded themselves into thinking they can control what is beyond their control),
Now you are getting into politics again, which not the subject of this thread.

and allows the rest of us to learn to adapt.
Do you speak for the whole world, or just for yourself? You did say "us" rather than "me", right?

Personally, I look forward to ..
What you personally look forward to has nothing to do with the science of climate change. But if you do have something to say about the science only, then please do. That is exactly what this thread is for. We can debate it out.

Back