The sons of God and the daughters of men

puddleglum

When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the LORD said, “My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years.” The Nephilim were on the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God came in to the daughters of man and they bore children to them. These were the mighty men who were of old, the men of renown.
Genesis 6:1-4

Who were these sons of God? There are three theories as to their identity.

One is that the sons of God were descendants of Seth while the daughters of men were descendants of Cain. It was a case of worshipers of God marrying those who did not serve him. The modern equivalent would be someone who is saved marrying someone who isn’t a Christian. There are two problems with this theory.

The first is that while believers are often called sons of God in the New Testament they are never called that in the Old. The earliest use of sons of God being applied to believers is in Matthew 5:19.

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

The second problem is that if it were simply a case of saved and unsaved people marrying, wouldn’t the sons of men sometimes marry the daughters of God? Saved women are just as likely to marry unsaved men as saved men are to marry unsaved women.

The second theory is that sons of God was a title used by the rulers and this speaks of them marrying more than one wife. Lamech, a descendant of Cain, did have two wives.

And Lamech took two wives. The name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
Genesis 4:19

This is a possibility but I have never read of any place in the Bible where a ruler called himself a son of God.

The third theory is that the sons of God were fallen angels, who followed Satan in his rebellion against God. This is supported by the fact that the book of Job speaks of sons of God and they are clearly angels. Job 1:6 and 2:1 speak of Satan being among the sons of God when they presented themselves before God and they are also mentioned in Job 38:4-7.

Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone,
when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?

The events in Job took place before the time of Moses and some scholars think that Moses wrote the book. Even if the book itself was written later the Israelites were probably familiar with the events in it and naturally this meaning would come to mind.

Angels are spirits but they can take on human form. Some people have interacted with them without realizing that they are angels. The account in Genesis seems to indicate that they are capable of procreation with humans when they are in human form.

(Angels are usually pictured as having wings. It seems unlikely that anyone would mistake them for humans if that were true. Cherubim and seraphim have wings and some believe that these are classes of angels. Angels, cherubim, and seraphim are three distinct kinds of beings and the fact that cherubim and seraphim have wings does not prove that angels do.)

The Genesis account say, “the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive”. Why would angels find humans attractive? I can think of one possible explanation. Angels were created to serve God and were designed so that they desired a close relationship with him. The angels who rebelled were cut off from this relationship and were looking for a substitute. Humans are created in God’s image and this similarity to God caused the angels to be attracted to them.

Where are the sons of God today? Are they still at large seducing and marrying human women? Perhaps Jude has the answer.

The angels who did not stay within their own position of authority, but left their proper dwelling, he has kept in eternal chains under gloomy darkness until the judgment of the great day.

He doesn’t say that these are the angels who married humans but it seems likely that is the case. Most of the angels who followed Satan are still at large helping him carry out his rebellion against God, but these are already confined so they can’t do any more harm to humans.

Addressing the OP.
"Who are the Sons of God in Genesis 6"

none of the above are correct,

Only one is close. but the last, or third theory is so popular, let's put an end to it.
The third theory is that the sons of God were fallen angels, who followed Satan in his rebellion against God.
Let's examine this, and correct the mistake.
Job 38:4 "Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof; 7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy? 8 Or who shut up the sea with doors, when it brake forth, as if it had issued out of the womb? 9 When I made the cloud the garment thereof, and thick darkness a swaddlingband for it, 10 And brake up for it my decreed place, and set bars and doors, 11 And said, Hitherto shalt thou come, but no further: and here shall thy proud waves be stayed?”.

the Almighty, the creator of heaven, and earth is asking Job some question that Job cannot answer, or any man, neither any angle. but God has answered it already in Job 38:7 “When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”. Here is what most people say, see this prove that it was the angles. NO, NOT so fast. Question, who really are these “morning stars”, and the sons of God that sang, and shouted. Let’s see who and what they are. Here in Job 38 God almighty is using metaphors.

we will solve the “morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”. First the morning stars. we said that the morning stars are the actual stars in the heavens. Let’s go to the book of James. Follow and understand. James 1:17 "Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning”. The almighty is called the “Father of lights", and lights here is plural, and is the Greek word, G5457 φῶς phos (fōs') n. which means luminousness. Now hold that thought and go to Thayer's Greek Definitions and or the blue letter bible, and look up G3962 πατήρ pater, (Father)
- Transliteration: Pater
- Phonetic: pat-ayr'
- Definition:
1. generator or male ancestor
a. either the nearest ancestor: father of the corporeal nature, natural fathers, both parents.
THIS IS WHAT MOST PEOPLE THINK WHEN THEY HEAR THE WORD “FATHER”.

but we are interested in the 3rd definition, and here it is, listen.
3. God is called the Father
a. of the stars, the heavenly luminaries, because he is their creator, upholder, ruler

God is the Father of the “STARS”, and the "heavenly luminaries". Yes, the literal stars in the sky. google the word stars, please add the “s” to the end of stars, for Job said, morning “stars” not morning “star”. A star is a luminous sphere of plasma held together by its own gravity. The nearest star to Earth is the Sun. Many other stars are visible to the naked eye from Earth during the night, appearing as a multitude of fixed luminous points in the sky due to their immense distance from Earth. Again, the stars are the actual stars in the heavens. Now, go to dictionary.com, or the free dictionary, or any dictionary and look up luminaries in the plural, answer a celestial body, as the sun or moon. Now let’s see this sun and moon and the actual stars and what they did in Job 38:7. Remember the Almighty said that they sang and shouted for joy. Let’s see this metaphor clearly. Psalms 148:1 "Praise ye the LORD. Praise ye the LORD from the heavens: praise him in the heights. Verse 2 Praise ye him, all his angels: praise ye him, all his hosts. 3 Praise ye him, sun and moon: praise him, all ye stars of light. 4 Praise him, ye heavens of heavens, and ye waters that be above the heavens. 5 Let them praise the name of the LORD: for he commanded, and they were created”. Now what do the word praise mean here? It is the Hebrew word, H1984 הָלַל halal (haw-lal') v. which can be translated as “sing”, or “shine”. the stars, the sun and the moon sang or praised God by shining their lights. One more, Psalms 65:13 "The pastures are clothed with flocks; the valleys also are covered over with corn; they shout for joy, they also sing”. The pastures, and valleys also praising God? Yes, how? by shouting for joy and singing. It’s all a metaphor. Do we now understand.

:ninja:

Job 38:7 “When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”.... Question, who really are these “morning stars”, and the sons of God that sang, and shouted. Let’s see who and what they are. Here in Job 38 God almighty is using metaphors.
Those who are [spiritually] wise will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead many to righteousness, [will shine] like the stars forever and ever. Dan 12:3 AMP

Children of God among whom you are seen as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ Jesus. Phil 2:15-16

Those who are [spiritually] wise will shine brightly like the brightness of the expanse of heaven, and those who lead many to righteousness, [will shine] like the stars forever and ever. Dan 12:3 AMP

Children of God among whom you are seen as lights in the world; Holding forth the word of life; that I may rejoice in the day of Christ Jesus. Phil 2:15-16
yes, sons of God are men, (male and female) and not angels.

It is euphemism, sons of God (upper Class people) marrying daughters of men (lower class people).

Ezra 10:3
Now therefore let us make a covenant with our God to put away all the wives, and such as are born of them,

Ezra 10:10
And Ezra the priest stood up, and said unto them, Ye have transgressed, and have taken strange wives

Nehemiah 13:27
Shall we then hearken unto you to do all this great evil, to transgress against our God in marrying strange wives?

The "stranger" the wife, the further genetically they are, therefore the offspring will be healthier, in fact children born from mixed race couples are far less prone to genetic disorders, but in the Old Testament these Jews are forced to marry cousins in order to keep the "chosen people blood" to themselves.

In Ezra 10:3, fathers have to abandon children that are born from strange wives, so children are punished for the circumstance of their birth.

According to genetics, "humans" can only produce children with other "humans" so if these "sons of God" can mate and produce children with "daughters of man", then they are the same animal.

One is that the sons of God were descendants of Seth while the daughters of men were descendants of Cain. It was a case of worshipers of God marrying those who did not serve him. The modern equivalent would be someone who is saved marrying someone who isn’t a Christian. There are two problems with this theory.

The first is that while believers are often called sons of God in the New Testament they are never called that in the Old. The earliest use of sons of God being applied to believers is in Matthew 5:19.

The second problem is that if it were simply a case of saved and unsaved people marrying, wouldn’t the sons of men sometimes marry the daughters of God? Saved women are just as likely to marry unsaved men as saved men are to marry unsaved women.

The second theory is that sons of God was a title used by the rulers and this speaks of them marrying more than one wife. Lamech, a descendant of Cain, did have two wives.

This is a possibility but I have never read of any place in the Bible where a ruler called himself a son of God.

The third theory is that the sons of God were fallen angels, who followed Satan in his rebellion against God. This is supported by the fact that the book of Job speaks of sons of God and they are clearly angels. Job 1:6 and 2:1 speak of Satan being among the sons of God when they presented themselves before God and they are also mentioned in Job 38:4-7.

The events in Job took place before the time of Moses and some scholars think that Moses wrote the book. Even if the book itself was written later the Israelites were probably familiar with the events in it and naturally this meaning would come to mind.

Angels are spirits but they can take on human form. Some people have interacted with them without realizing that they are angels. The account in Genesis seems to indicate that they are capable of procreation with humans when they are in human form.

(Angels are usually pictured as having wings. It seems unlikely that anyone would mistake them for humans if that were true. Cherubim and seraphim have wings and some believe that these are classes of angels. Angels, cherubim, and seraphim are three distinct kinds of beings and the fact that cherubim and seraphim have wings does not prove that angels do.)

The Genesis account say, “the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive”. Why would angels find humans attractive? I can think of one possible explanation. Angels were created to serve God and were designed so that they desired a close relationship with him. The angels who rebelled were cut off from this relationship and were looking for a substitute. Humans are created in God’s image and this similarity to God caused the angels to be attracted to them.

Where are the sons of God today? Are they still at large seducing and marrying human women? Perhaps Jude has the answer.

He doesn’t say that these are the angels who married humans but it seems likely that is the case. Most of the angels who followed Satan are still at large helping him carry out his rebellion against God, but these are already confined so they can’t do any more harm to humans.
Sons of God are born of God as Jesus was in Matt 3:16. One cant be a son of God least you are born of God, or born again as Jesus used the term for a renewing of the mind to think as God thinks. He doest think like men in flesh.

101G said:
Job 38:7 “When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy?”.... Question, who really are these “morning stars”, and the sons of God that sang, and shouted. Let’s see who and what they are. Here in Job 38 God almighty is using metaphors.

yes, sons of God are men, (male and female) and not angels.
Renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him, where there is neither Greek nor Jew, circumcised nor uncircumcised, barbarian, Scythian, slave nor free, but Christ is all and in all. Col 3:10-11

My God, the Lord Jesus is God. but in the G2758 κενόω kenoo state, while in flesh, he was EMPOWERED by his own Spirit of the ECHAD.

I understand, most worship a man as a god, an idol, instead of the God who was in that man. See Matt 3:16 this is when Jesus received God as his own disposition just as we all do who are born of God, born again as Jesus was in Matt 3:16 where God opened up who He is in Jesus all of His heaven in that man and does the same in us all today who will receieve Him as Jesus did.

Not many believe that the God who resides in man His temple came to Jesus in Matt 3:16 do they?

I understand, most worship a man as a god, an idol, instead of the God who was in that man. See Matt 3:16 this is when Jesus received God as his own disposition just as we all do who are born of God, born again as Jesus was in Matt 3:16 where God opened up who He is in Jesus all of His heaven in that man and does the same in us all today who will receieve Him as Jesus did.

Not many believe that the God who resides in man His temple came to Jesus in Matt 3:16 do they?
Gnostics can't grasp that the new birth is through the promised Son.
He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
Born of imperishable seed through the living and enduring word of God. ...
And this is the word that was preached to you. 1 Peter 1:20-25

Gnostics can't grasp that the new birth is through the promised Son.
and those who accuse His ways of gnosticism cant grasp the concept of the promise of God that He will come to you and be ion you and make you as Himself by the same Spirit be sin you who was in Christ Jesus.

to you His ways are defiantly gnostic that you dont even know what is LOL.
He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
Yes Gods Spirit is chosen and is revealed in the last days of your life in which you openly reject as gnosticism.
Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
Not at all. By having in me the same as Jesus had in himself from the Father is the only way Christ is risen from that dead state in limbo where people are awaiting for a god to come as a man LOL.

And I have the same faith that Jesus had in God by the same Spirit be in me who was in Christ Jesus.
Born of imperishable seed through the living and enduring word of God. ...
And this is the word that was preached to you. 1 Peter 1:20-25
Yes ... Be as I Am, be perfect as I am, walk as I walk in my same light as Jesus did say of his Father that for you is evil.

and those who accuse His ways of gnosticism cant grasp the concept of the promise of God that He will come to you and be ion you and make you as Himself by the same Spirit be sin you who was in Christ Jesus.
All of mankind is in the bondage of sin, so that what God promised will be for anyone who has faith in Jesus Christ (the Messiah).
Now that the promise of God has been fulfilled in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,
heirs according to the promise. Gal 3:22-29
to you His ways are defiantly gnostic that you dont even know what is LOL.
How is boasting about knowing spiritual things going to benefit you when you reject the one God sent to provide spiritual renewal at every turn?
"Yet you refuse to come to me to have life." John 5:40

All of mankind is in the bondage of sin, so that what God promised will be for anyone who has faith in Jesus Christ (the Messiah).
Only you and those of Paul who is of sin and not of Christ. We in Christ cannot sin for we are born of Gods not Paul
Now that the promise of God has been fulfilled in Christ Jesus you are all children of God through faith,
heirs according to the promise. Gal 3:22-29
Now that Christ is fulfilled in me i am Gods son and has received my inheritance from my Father just as Jesus received from Him.
How is boasting about knowing spiritual things going to benefit you when you reject the one God sent to provide spiritual renewal at every turn?
Same boasting of the Cather Jesus boasted of. He couldn’t any thing with his Father who was his God. Mine as well.
"Yet you refuse to come to me to have life." John 5:40
Yes for to you God and Jesus is gnostic. You are very clear on that accusation of them.

Last edited:
Only you and those of Paul who is of sin and not of Christ. We in Christ cannot sin for we are born of Gods not Paul
Now that Christ is fulfilled in me i am Gods son and has received my inheritance from my Father just as Jesus received from Him.
Yes for to you God and Jesus is gnostic. You are very clear on that accusation of them.
You are very clear that you reject the atonement of Christ and have chosen your gnostic delusions, hypocritically claiming that you are in Christ.
Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 2 Tim 2:19

You are very clear that you reject the atonement of Christ and have chosen your gnostic delusions, hypocritically claiming that you are in Christ.
And it is very clear that all you have is theory about the Christ, a belief that has no substance for truth from lack in being atoned for the sinner that you say you are. You are not atoned from sin, you are an advocate for sin instead.
Nevertheless the solid foundation of God stands, having this seal: “The Lord knows those who are His,” and, “Let everyone who names the name of Christ depart from iniquity." 2 Tim 2:19
And He knows those who are not His and not like Him as He demands of you, for these see His ways as evil gnosticism dont they?

And it is very clear that all you have is theory about the Christ, a belief that has no substance for truth from lack in being atoned for the sinner that you say you are. You are not atoned from sin, you are an advocate for sin instead.
David also speaks of those approved by God in the way of faith:
“Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them.” Rom 4:6-8, Rom 4:24-25
And He knows those who are not His and not like Him as He demands of you, for these see His ways as evil gnosticism dont they?
Now the main point of what we are saying is this: We do have such a High priest, who sat down at the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in heaven, 2 and who serves in the sanctuary, the true tabernacle set up by the Lord, ...

‘They will all Know the Lord,’ from the least of them to the greatest.
12 For I will forgive their iniquity and will remember their sins no more.” Heb 8

I see the "sons of God" as fallen angels....

There are several reasons. One was to destroy the linage that Christ Jesus would be born through.
Another would be to destroy man, made in the image of God.
Today we see the beginnings of transhumanism..a final attempt to destroy man who was made in the image of God.
The book of Enoch also shed light on the subject.

Who are the sons of God and the daughters of men. answer, they all were Human men and women. a un-fallen line from Adam, (son of God, children born in the Garden), and a fallen Line from Adam, (daughters of men, Born outside the garden). but all are human. that term son of God, Adam held, and Adam is no angel, but human. scripture, the genealogy of Christ from Joseph upwards. lets look at the last two verses in Luke 3:37 "Which was the son of Mathusala, which was the son of Enoch, which was the son of Jared, which was the son of Maleleel, which was the son of Cainan," Luke 3:38 "Which was the son of Enos, which was the son of Seth, which was the son of Adam, which was the son of God."

so the title, "sons of God" references human, either following God, or fallen, following after men, hence the title, "daughters of men".

verse 4 of chapter 6 clearly Identify the offspring of these two lines from Adam. Humans having other humans, no angelic involvement.

Genesis 6:4 "There were giants in the earth in those days; and also after that, when the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bare children to them, the same became mighty men which were of old, men of renown”.

The key phrase in the verse is, “the same, (giants), became mighty men”. there is our first step in identifying who these Giants/Nephilim are. these giants/Nephilim became know as "MIGHTY MEN", and they are HUMAN. knowing that, let's zero in on "MIGHTY MEN". the definition, Mighty Men: H1368 גִּבּוֹר gibbowr (ghib-bore') adj, here mean, גִּבֹּר gibbor (ghib-bore') [shortened] 1. powerful. 2. (by implication) a warrior, tyrant. [intensive from the same as H1397]
KJV: champion, chief, X excel, giant, man, mighty (man, one), strong (man), valiant man.

The KJV can translate the Nephilim, the Giants also as a man, but notice “MIGHTY MAN”, or valiant man.
Understand, our term Giant/Nephilim identifies what we’re looking for in this topic setting in two types of mighty men A. “Mighty Men” in valor. B. Mighty Men in Stature. So our first clue tells us to look for “ mighty men” in the bible, either of A. in valor. B. in Stature/Height.

before the flood, we say that the sons of God who had these giants, these Nephilim, these “mighty men” was ordinary men and women, AND NOT ANGELS, (Children of, descendants of Adam and Even when in the Garden). We will prove this by revealing who these giants, these Nephilim, these “mighty men” are after the flood and then we can understand who they are before the flood, and see that they had ordinary human fathers and mothers.
We will look at the two types of Nephilim, according to the bible. the Giants, men in stature and the Mighty Men in valor, whom all had Ordinary parents. Nothing supernatural here.

MIGHTY MEN
Type I. “Mighty Men”, Ordinary men of valor, “A Warrior”.
Type II. “Mighty Men”, Ordinary men in stature, “A Giant”

thay all are Human and all had Human parents..... yes, according to the bible.

101G.

Back