The vulnerable underbelly of Christadelphianism

John t

Because this post I made earlier today in the Apologetics forum can get buried there ,I make this double post in the place that it is most likely to be seen; by Christadelphians I posted it in the Christadelphianism forum.

Just to make it clear to all, the following is a summary statement of what I learned from the Christadelphian cult.

Primary is their statement of nonconformity which one third party website describes them:

Christadelphians hold several beliefs that differ from traditional Christian denominations. They reject the Trinity doctrine and believe that Jesus Christ was a man. They do not mingle with other Christians, maintaining that they possess the truth and have no interest in ecumenism. Members of this religion do not vote, do not run for political office, nor engage in war.

from https://www.learnreligions.com/christadelphian-beliefs-and-practices-700276

Their official description of themselves does not contradict the above statement:

Doctrinally, the Christadelphians are unique in Christendom in our understanding of the nature of Christ, and the way in which we are redeemed by his death. We reject as unbiblical the idea that Christ could die as a replacement sacrifice for us, thus covering all our sins forever with that one act. Certainly it is through his sacrifice that we may be forgiven, but only if we walk the path of self-denial that he marked out for us.

from :https://www.learnreligions.com/christadelphian-beliefs-and-practices-700276

Therefore they believe that salvation is both conditional and hyper Arminian.

From the above official site, it is quite easy to see that in the image of themselves, they created their own deity god.

We believe that the Bible is quite clear (emphasis added) in its presentation that Christ is a man. The Son of God, but certainly not God Himself. The bulk of mainstream Christianity has staked its life on the assertion that Jesus is God. However, this is to be rejected... (and they do so by their own authority, discarding what Scripture plainly teaches

Yet they have no problem bastardizing Scriptures to fit their heresies:

Their "official statement" about their deity is:

The Christadelphians believe that the God of the Bible is one, the Father alone (1 Cor. 8:6). God stands alone and unrivaled in the universe, the source of all good and evil (Is. 45:5-7). We reject the idea that the devil is one of Gods' angels that was permitted to rebel in the very heavens (thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven [sic] ) and now wrestles with God for control of the world. We likewise reject the idea of a God with multiple independent personalities as not being in harmony with the teachings of scripture.

Please read the entire passage to see that the Bible does not conform to their heresies

1 Corinthians 5: For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”—
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist
ESV

Even a cave man can read and see that Paul calls both Jesus Christ and God, the Father fully divine. Therefore the little hobgoblin of inconsistency haunts this cult, also.

Thus the cult's beliefs can be summarized:

In their own image they created their own deities, and in their disdain for the clear teachings of Scripture, they propagate their "official lie" to confuse the biblically illiterate by saying that Scripture is clear in what it unequivocally state. Thus the idea of propositional truth is a delusion of fundamentalism.

Stephen

Please read the entire passage to see that the Bible does not conform to their heresies

1 Corinthians 5: For although there may be so-called gods in heaven or on earth—as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”—
6 yet for us there is one God, the Father, from whom are all things and for whom we exist, and one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things and through whom we exist
ESV

Even a cave man can read and see that Paul calls both Jesus Christ and God, the Father fully divine. Therefore the little hobgoblin of inconsistency haunts this cult, also.

Setting aside the propaganda, let's get to the meat of the exposition. The one verse.

Let's read the verses in context, because as one person on this board likes to point out: "EVERY verse ripped from its context is a pretext, without exception." And the poster wants to rip the verse out of its context and is likewise not an exception.

1 Cor 8
4 So then, about eating food sacrificed to idols: We know that “An idol is nothing at all in the world” and that “There is no God but one.” 5 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as indeed there are many “gods” and many “lords”), 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom all things came and for whom we live; and there is but one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things came and through whom we live.

Verse 4 explains to the Corinthians that "there is no God but one"
Verse 6a explains that the Father is that one God, and is the one from whom all things came
Verse 6b explains that Jesus is not that one God, but rather our one lord, and it is through him that all things come, and through him we live.

Seems pretty clear to me. So I ask, how does an intelligent person with reading comprehension come to the idea that Paul calls both Jesus Christ and God "fully divine"? The words "fully divine" are absent from the passage, the chapter, and the bible (depending on translation).

The passage goes on. First it explains how our relationship to the one God is impacted by food:

7 But not everyone possesses this knowledge. Some people are still so accustomed to idols that when they eat sacrificial food they think of it as having been sacrificed to a god, and since their conscience is weak, it is defiled. 8 But food does not bring us near to God; we are no worse if we do not eat, and no better if we do.

Then it explains how we live through the one Lord

9 Be careful, however, that the exercise of your rights does not become a stumbling block to the weak. 10 For if someone with a weak conscience sees you, with all your knowledge, eating in an idol’s temple, won’t that person be emboldened to eat what is sacrificed to idols? 11 So this weak brother or sister, for whom Christ died, is destroyed by your knowledge. 12 When you sin against them in this way and wound their weak conscience, you sin against Christ. 13 Therefore, if what I eat causes my brother or sister to fall into sin, I will never eat meat again, so that I will not cause them to fall.

Paul, makes things clear. There is one God, the Father. There is one lord among many lords (he's the lord of lords you see). What he does not say, nor explain in any way is that "Jesus Christ and God, the Father fully divine".

This particular Christadelphian does have a soft underbelly though :)

Last edited:

John t

Setting aside the propaganda, let's get to the meat of the exposition. The one verse.

It is interesting that you want me to deal with what you propose is the central issue, but you fail to deal with the summarized core values (from Christadelphian sources) of your cult which I posted earlier:

Thus the cult's beliefs can be summarized:

In their own image they created their own deities, and in their disdain for the clear teachings of Scripture, they propagate their "official lie" to confuse the biblically illiterate by saying that Scripture is clear in what it unequivocally state. Thus the idea of propositional truth is a delusion of fundamentalism.

Your cult has no truth because it fails by words and deeds to uphold the supremacy of the Bible as the primary revelation of God talking to us.
Yet they have no problem bastardizing Scriptures to fit their heresies:

Their "official statement" about their deity is:

The Christadelphians believe that the God of the Bible is one, the Father alone (1 Cor. 8:6). God stands alone and unrivaled in the universe, the source of all good and evil (Is. 45:5-7). We reject the idea that the devil is one of Gods' angels that was permitted to rebel in the very heavens (thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven [sic] ) and now wrestles with God for control of the world. We likewise reject the idea of a God with multiple independent personalities as not being in harmony with the teachings of scripture. ( Your Red Herring is noticed, but not commented about)

ESV

That snippet proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are taking things out of context to support extra biblical things. Since you will not deal with my accurate summation of your cult's belief system dismissing it as "propaganda", why should I oblige myself to answer your out of context statements?

Stephen

It is interesting that you want me to deal with what you propose is the central issue, but you fail to deal with the summarized core values (from Christadelphian sources) of your cult which I posted earlier:

Your cult has no truth because it fails by words and deeds to uphold the supremacy of the Bible as the primary revelation of God talking to us.

That snippet proves beyond a shadow of a doubt that you are taking things out of context to support extra biblical things. Since you will not deal with my accurate summation of your cult's belief system dismissing it as "propaganda", why should I oblige myself to answer your out of context statements?

I see. When the bible is brought forth, you don't want to talk about it while at the same time accusing me of not upholding it. But rather, you want to discuss the words of men.

When you want to talk about the bible, Christadelphians are generally quite happy to engage, but since you don't want to do so, I'll bow out at this time.