The wages of sin is death

Nic

The wages of sin is death-
Although it may sound odd, is this something that could be understood as God will at some point collect on that debt from us or to put it another way, God is the author of both life and death.

Thoughts?
Thanks.

Romans 2
6God “will repay each one according to his deeds.” 7To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life. 8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow wickedness, there will be wrath and anger.

Reactions: Nic
The wages of sin will be paid. Either we will receive the payment by being condemned to everlasting death in the lake of fire, or we can repent and put our faith in Jesus Christ. In the latter case God will accept his death on the cross as the payment for our sins and we will enjoy eternal fellowship with God and Jesus Christ.

The wages of sin is death-
Although it may sound odd, is this something that could be understood as God will at some point collect on that debt from us or to put it another way, God is the author of both life and death.

Thoughts?
Thanks.
Wages are not a future event. The wages of sin are paid in the present. As you sin, so you die spiritually, in the present; and get further punishment in the future, if you do not accept the gift of life.

The gift of God, which is eternal life, is also a present event. The reward for accepting the gift is a present and a future benefit.

Rom 2:6 is referring both to the present and to the future. Death preserves a state of affairs that exists here on earth.

Wages are not a future event. The wages of sin are paid in the present. As you sin, so you die spiritually, in the present; and get further punishment in the future, if you do not accept the gift of life.

The gift of God, which is eternal life, is also a present event. The reward for accepting the gift is a present and a future benefit.

Rom 2:6 is referring both to the present and to the future. Death preserves a state of affairs that exists here on earth.
Thanks. I felt a bit weird asking the question, because it isn't something I generally think about. After a cursory look I noticed some differing thoughts, but that isn't really uncommon.
I think your view is a bit different than as I would normally understand things. For me the problem I may be having with your reply is a progressive on again off again template. Please forgive me if I misread you or if I characterize your answer in a way that doesn't conform to what you offered. Thanks. 👍
Do you find that man is passive in being saved?

Last edited:
The wages of sin will be paid. Either we will receive the payment by being condemned to everlasting death in the lake of fire, or we can repent and put our faith in Jesus Christ. In the latter case God will accept his death on the cross as the payment for our sins and we will enjoy eternal fellowship with God and Jesus Christ.
I don't think this view is too terribly far from my understanding, yet a bit different. I think we are in the same neighborhood at least.

Last edited:
Romans 2
6God “will repay each one according to his deeds.” 7To those who by perseverance in doing good seek glory, honor, and immortality, He will give eternal life. 8But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow wickedness, there will be wrath and anger.
The question for you for me to have a better understanding and perhaps find more common ground would be: Is man passive in being saved? I would say that he is.

Last edited:
Thanks. I felt a bit weird asking the question, because it isn't something I generally think about. After a cursory look I noticed some differing thoughts, but that isn't really uncommon.
I think your view is a bit different than as I would normally understand things. For me the problem I may be having with your reply is a progressive on again off again template. Please forgive me if I misread you or if I characterize your answer in a way that doesn't conform to what you offered.
Death is the ultimate sanction for sin. Jesus refers to the spiritual dead of his generation - too dead to understand his teaching,

For those who believe, let's just say that sin will harm them but not kill them, depending on the nature of the sin, and because of God's faithfulness, and because he always accepts repentance, provided repentance is granted, i.e. provided sin doesn't turn into full-blown apostacy.

Thanks. 👍
Depends on the jurisdiction from which salvation is perceived. From an earthly perspective salvation is certainly not passive, for as Christ said, the work of God is to believe, i.e. to receive the gift itself. From heaven's perspective, I guess salvation is about bestowing the gift on the undeserving.

If you believe in Jesus you already died and were resurrected.

Last edited:
The question for you for me to have a better understanding and perhaps find more common ground would be: Is man passive in being saved? I would say that he is.
According to Romans 2:6,7 you play more of a role in your salvation than may seem immediately apparent. This was Paul's standard theology about salvation. He repeated it often, so did others. Just to post a few more examples.

1 Corinthians 15
1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, and in which you stand firm. 2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

Galatians 5
19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 John 1
7But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.

According to Romans 2:6,7 you play more of a role in your salvation than may seem immediately apparent. This was Paul's standard theology about salvation. He repeated it often, so did others. Just to post a few more examples.

1 Corinthians 15
1Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received, and in which you stand firm. 2By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you. Otherwise, you have believed in vain.

Galatians 5
19The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity, and debauchery; 20idolatry and sorcery; hatred, discord, jealousy, and rage; rivalries, divisions, factions, 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

1 John 1
7But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin.
How about being justified? Is that an active or passive sense in your understanding?
Thanks for the reply!

If you believe in Jesus you already died and were resurrected.
This is short and sweet and likely difficult for anyone to find objection. That said, is either salvation or justification passive in your understanding?

Death is the ultimate sanction for sin. Jesus refers to the spiritual dead of his generation - too dead to understand his teaching,

For those who believe, let's just say that sin will harm them but not kill them, depending on the nature of the sin, and because of God's faithfulness, and because he always accepts repentance, provided repentance is granted, i.e. provided sin doesn't turn into full-blown apostacy.

Depends on the jurisdiction from which salvation is perceived. From an earthly perspective salvation is certainly not passive, for as Christ said, the work of God is to believe, i.e. to receive the gift itself. From heaven's perspective, I guess salvation is about bestowing the gift on the undeserving.
I believe in mans perspective we are passively saved. If one hears the gospel message, presumably they can be saved. That being the case, I believe the man may of been there, looking around, listening and perhaps even contemplating, but I find all this moot to what the gospel does inside of a lost soul.
Thoughts?

1 Corinthians 15

Galatians 5

1 John 1
What exactly wasn't passive when we received the gospel that results in being justified or saved?
Thanks.

Were we not made accepted in the Beloved? Ephesians 1:6

Justified and saved by faith.
That is shorthand at best and possibly even error.
Scripture says we are saved by grace through faith (a gift of God).
Here is a more specific reference to justification from Romans 3 (ESV).

For there is no distinction: 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith.

Last edited:
That is shorthand at best and possibly even error.
Scripture says we are saved by grace through faith (a gift of God).
Here is a more specific reference to justification from Romans 3 (ESV).

For there is no distinction: 23for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, 24and are justified by his grace as a gift, through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus, 25whom God put forward as a propitiation by his blood, to be received by faith.

Hab 2:4
Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.

Hab 2:4
Behold, his soul which is lifted up is not upright in him: but the just shall live by his faith.
True or perhaps better render as His faithfulness.
I capitalized His in reference to Christ rather than any other individual's faith. That's how I see that. Thanks again.

To any and all, the thread appears to have gone off in an unintended way and so I apologize for that. That wasn't planned. I do appreciate the exchanges as they are however, if everyone would still wish to continue?
Also you may see me quote your comment more than once as I may seek an answer that I neglected to ask the first time around.
Thanks again.🙂
@Runningman @puddleglum @cjab @Photine

Back