"the Word was God" vs "God was the Word"

Yahchristian

Jesus is God given that "the Word was God". Given that Jesus is God, the phrase God is Jesus equates the two words, God and Jesus, as interchangeable, but there are countless places in Scripture where the two words are differentiated. Therefore, anyone faithful to Scripture must affirm Jesus is God while not confirming God is Jesus.

TRINITARIANS...

We both believe this statement is true...

The Word was God.

But just to clarify our views...

Is this statement true?

God was the Word.

I say Yes.

Revelation 19:13,16... And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God... And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

In other words, I believe the KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS is the Word.

Here is a summary of what I believe...

Yahweh is spirit and is the only one who is eternal. Yahweh is also in the universe as spirit and as a human. Yahweh in the universe as spirit is called the Spirit of God, Yahweh in the universe as a human is called the Son of God, and eternal Yahweh is called God the Father.

I say Yes.

Revelation 19:13,16... And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God... And he hath on his vesture and on his thigh a name written, KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS.

Calling ALL TRINITARIANS...

Is this statement true?

God was the Word.

Is this statement true?

God was the Word.

I agree !!!

But some of your fellow TRINITARIANS insist…

The phrase God is Jesus equates the two words, God and Jesus, as interchangeable, but there are countless places in Scripture where the two words are differentiated. Therefore, anyone faithful to Scripture must affirm Jesus is God while not confirming God is Jesus.

So just to clarify our views…

Is this statement true?

God is the Word.

I say Yes.

??? So…

Is this statement true?

The Trinity was the Word.

The context of the Trinity is Father, Word and Holy Spirit is monotheistic God but distinct from each other.

How about you? Is the Father and Son distinct? (You'll ignore this as usual. I'll be surprised if you answer it.)

However, the Trinity is the Word in as far as monotheistic Godhood.

How about you? Is the Father and Son distinct? (You'll ignore this as usual. I'll be surprised if you answer it.)

???

I posted this in the first post of this thread !!!

Yahweh is spirit and is the only one who is eternal. Yahweh is also in the universe as spirit and as a human. Yahweh in the universe as spirit is called the Spirit of God, Yahweh in the universe as a human is called the Son of God, and eternal Yahweh is called God the Father.

In other words...

"The Father" and "the Son" are names for Yahweh. The distinction is "the Father" refers to Yahweh as eternal Spirit whereas "the Son" refers to Yahweh incarnate.

How about you? Is the Father and Yahweh distinct?

I say No.

???

In other words...

"The Father" and "the Son" are names for Yahweh. The distinction is "the Father" refers to Yahweh as eternal Spirit whereas "the Son" refers to Yahweh incarnate.

I say No.
NO.

???

In other words...

I say No.

No.

Why do do the Father and Son intercommunicate if they are merely names for Yahweh. Why do you say Yahweh eternal Spirit intercommunicating with Yahweh incarnate if they are merely names?

Just to clarify our answers…

Is Jesus the Son of Yahweh?

I say Yes.
And here is what Jesus said of himself and his God who sent him.

John 12:49: For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John 7:16. Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

John 5 :17 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

John 5:19. “Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.”

John 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

TRINITARIANS...

We both believe this statement is true...

The Word was God.

But just to clarify our views...

Is this statement true?

God was the Word.

I say Yes.

In that it seems clear you are linking this to John 1.1c, it seems as if your are asking is John 1.1c is a convertible proposition. In other words, it seems you are asking if:

The Word was God means the same thing as God was the Word. The answer is no, it is not a convertible proposition.

TheLayman

The Word was God means the same thing as God was the Word. The answer is no, it is not a convertible proposition.

I am not asking what it means. I am asking if the statement is true.

Some Trinitarians say YES and some Trinitarians say NO.

Please post YOUR answer to the question…

Is this statement true?

God was the Word.

And here is what Jesus said of himself and his God who sent him.

John 12:49: For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.

John 7:16. Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.

John 5 :17 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.

John 5:19. “Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.”

John 6:38 For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.
NO message. Yes, that is what Jesus said about Himself.
And........................

Back