The World in the Gospel of John

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDS

Jn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

The gospel of John is first and foremost about light. Light in the scriptures equates to understanding. In Psalm 119 we are told this truth;

Psalm 119:130
The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

By contrast, darkness equates to ignorance and blindness;

Eph 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

John wrote his gospel to introduce the light of the world to men all over the world. Jesus Christ is not reduced to being the light of Israel, even though he is that, nor is he the light to the churches, though he is that too, and he is not the light to a bunch of Calvinists who suppose that they only are special to God, though the light could even reach them if one could get through the ignorance and blindness of their hearts. Jesus Christ is the light of the world and light is the emphasis of the ministry of Jesus in this gospel.

In Jn 12:8 he says 'I am the light of the world. He that followeth me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life."

Jesus said this;

John 9:5
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Here is why Jesus said he came into the world. You can make of it what you will;

John 12:46
I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

He equates following him and the light as the light of the day, the sun, something in our physical understanding.

Joh 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

I have been conversing on other threads with men who cannot see the marvelous pictures that God draws for us in the physical that illustrates and confirms his great person and allows a view into his infinite ways. With Civic I have shown how God for his excellent works has revealed that he views a thousand years as one day and one day as a thousand years and that all his work of redemption will be complete in six of those thousand years and he will rest, and call all the earth to rest on the seventh day of the week of thousand year days. He gives us a glimpse into the future in chapters like Isa 2 and 9 where he shows the earth a perfect peace and instruments of war being re- forged into agricultural tools. We, however, as men. view a day as 24 hours and a thousand years as a millennium, and that is the proper thing for us to do.

So, what do we see in John's gospel. We see a pivot point of God with the entrance of Jesus Christ in the person of a man. He will make all that is recorded formerly, including the creation of the physical world, to make sense to us if we will believe. The world is never going to be the same because of Jesus Christ. He came at the end of the forth one thousand year day of God to lighten the world. In the creation story we have this said;

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

The light that divides the darkness from the light came into being on the forth one thousand year day day. Our Lord Jesus had some commentary from his own lips about this; Here;

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

The above speaks to why men will not come to the light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Jn 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

The reason is not because they are not elect or Jesus would have said so. The reason is because they loved their evil deeds and hated the reproof of the light on them. This very statement demands that men have the ability to reason and make choices. Men who doeth truth are not ashamed to come to the light, seeing as how there would be no reproof for doing good.

Before Jesus came there was no light except in Israel. That light did not shine into all the world. The world would have no hope if that was the only light they ever knew. When Jesus Christ died and rose again he sent his preachers into all the world to preach his gospel. This is the light. The Spirit of Christ indwells the church of Jesus Christ and Christ is in the church, his body, in the person of the Spirit, giving light and understanding of life from God. This is equated to the lesser light that is set in the heavens to reflect from the sun and shine on the world. This light rules the night.

Jesus is typified by the Sun;

Malachi 4:2
But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.

There is no way to develop a systematic theology that is true by ignoring the OT scriptures. Calvinism is one such theological system that almost completely ignores the words of the 39 books that are the basis for NT truth. The awful doctrine of limited atonement is a good example of not basing the teaching of atonement on the ceremonial laws of Israel. The NT teaching in Hebrews falls back on this teaching as it points the Hebrews to faith in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. His offering is typified by the once a year provision of this sacrifice for Israel. Read it here;

Heb 9:1 Then verily the first covenant had also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary.
2 For there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick, and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary.
3 And after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of all;
4 Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant;
5 And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercyseat; of which we cannot now speak particularly.
6 Now when these things were thus ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle, accomplishing the service of God.
7 But into the second went the high priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for himself, and for the errors of the people:
8 The Holy Ghost this signifying, that the way into the holiest of all was not yet made manifest, while as the first tabernacle was yet standing:
9 Which was a figure for the time then present, in which were offered both gifts and sacrifices, that could not make him that did the service perfect, as pertaining to the conscience
10 Which stood only in meats and drinks, and divers washings, and carnal ordinances, imposed on them until the time of reformation.
11 But Christ being come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this building;
12 Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us.
13 For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh:
14 How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
15 And for this cause he is the mediator of the new testament, that by means of death, for the redemption of the transgressions that were under the first testament, they which are called might receive the promise of eternal inheritance.
16 For where a testament is, there must also of necessity be the death of the testator.
17 For a testament is of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.
18 Whereupon neither the first testament was dedicated without blood.
19 For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool, and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people,
20 Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you.
21 Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry.
22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
23 It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
24 For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us:
25 Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others;
26 For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself.
27 And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:
28 So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.

God went to a lot of trouble to provide a picture of the atonement only to have it ignored and/or replaced with a new idea about it.

Jn 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.
3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.
4 In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
5 And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
6 There was a man sent from God, whose name was John.
7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.
8 He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light.
9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.
10 He was in the world, and the world was made by him, and the world knew him not.

The gospel of John is first and foremost about light. Light in the scriptures equates to understanding. In Psalm 119 we are told this truth;

Psalm 119:130
The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding unto the simple.

By contrast, darkness equates to ignorance and blindness;

Eph 4:17 This I say therefore, and testify in the Lord, that ye henceforth walk not as other Gentiles walk, in the vanity of their mind,
18 Having the understanding darkened, being alienated from the life of God through the ignorance that is in them, because of the blindness of their heart:

John wrote his gospel to introduce the light of the world to men all over the world. Jesus Christ is not reduced to being the light of Israel, even though he is that, nor is he the light to the churches, though he is that too, and he is not the light to a bunch of Calvinists who suppose that they only are special to God, though the light could even reach them if one could get through the ignorance and blindness of their hearts. Jesus Christ is the light of the world and light is the emphasis of the ministry of Jesus in this gospel.

In Jn 12:8 he says 'I am the light of the world. He that followeth me shall not walk in darkness but shall have the light of life."

Jesus said this;

John 9:5
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.

Here is why Jesus said he came into the world. You can make of it what you will;

John 12:46
I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness.

He equates following him and the light as the light of the day, the sun, something in our physical understanding.

Joh 11:9 Jesus answered, Are there not twelve hours in the day? If any man walk in the day, he stumbleth not, because he seeth the light of this world.
10 But if a man walk in the night, he stumbleth, because there is no light in him.

I have been conversing on other threads with men who cannot see the marvelous pictures that God draws for us in the physical that illustrates and confirms his great person and allows a view into his infinite ways. With Civic I have shown how God for his excellent works has revealed that he views a thousand years as one day and one day as a thousand years and that all his work of redemption will be complete in six of those thousand years and he will rest, and call all the earth to rest on the seventh day of the week of thousand year days. He gives us a glimpse into the future in chapters like Isa 2 and 9 where he shows the earth a perfect peace and instruments of war being re- forged into agricultural tools. We, however, as men. view a day as 24 hours and a thousand years as a millennium, and that is the proper thing for us to do.

So, what do we see in John's gospel. We see a pivot point of God with the entrance of Jesus Christ in the person of a man. He will make all that is recorded formerly, including the creation of the physical world, to make sense to us if we will believe. The world is never going to be the same because of Jesus Christ. He came at the end of the forth one thousand year day of God to lighten the world. In the creation story we have this said;

Gen 1:14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.
17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.
19 And the evening and the morning were the fourth day.

The light that divides the darkness from the light came into being on the forth one thousand year day day. Our Lord Jesus had some commentary from his own lips about this; Here;

18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.
19 And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
20 For every one that doeth evil hateth the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds should be reproved.
21 But he that doeth truth cometh to the light, that his deeds may be made manifest, that they are wrought in God.

The above speaks to why men will not come to the light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

Jn 1:9 That was the true Light, which lighteth every man that cometh into the world.

The reason is not because they are not elect or Jesus would have said so. The reason is because they loved their evil deeds and hated the reproof of the light on them. This very statement demands that men have the ability to reason and make choices. Men who doeth truth are not ashamed to come to the light, seeing as how there would be no reproof for doing good.

Before Jesus came there was no light except in Israel. That light did not shine into all the world. The world would have no hope if that was the only light they ever knew. When Jesus Christ died and rose again he sent his preachers into all the world to preach his gospel. This is the light. The Spirit of Christ indwells the church of Jesus Christ and Christ is in the church, his body, in the person of the Spirit, giving light and understanding of life from God. This is equated to the lesser light that is set in the heavens to reflect from the sun and shine on the world. This light rules the night.

Jesus is typified by the Sun;

Malachi 4:2
But unto you that fear my name shall the Sun of righteousness arise with healing in his wings; and ye shall go forth, and grow up as calves of the stall.
The natural man hates the light and loves darkness, remember that ! Jn 3 19

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.

The natural man hates the light and loves darkness, remember that ! Jn 3 19

And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because their deeds were evil.
Do you know any man who is not natural?

Not so odd. Do you love darkness?
I'm not here to talk about me or you individually. So if that's your motivation I decline this discussion. However all men naturally love darkness rather than light Jn 3:19

I'm not here to talk about me or you individually. So if that's your motivation I decline this discussion.
I am sorry but that is all you are here to talk about. Take me back to one of your posts where you have tried to exalt the savior . You glory in what you call your special position with God. You have been duped. You present God as a jokester who sends out reluctant participants to preach what you call good news to people whom he has already assigned to hell and has no intention of changing his mind about no matter what Jesus Christ has done for them. You would rather post comments and threads about who he will not save than what he has actually done for sinners. God is my Father and Jesus Christ is my savior and I take exception and am offended by these misrepresentations..

That is not the last verse in the text. Another verse in the text that you do not quote says this;

If nothing else has been established before we get to John 3 it is the fact that the light in the gospel of John is personified in the person of Jesus Christ. Men do not come to the light, that is, they do not come to Jesus Christ because their deeds are evil. Later on in this same book Jesus says this about what he does as the light;

John 7:7
The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

This is why men will not come. They do not want Jesus testifying of evil because they choose to do the deeds of evil and they love these deeds more than they love the light. They know that coming to the light requires repentance of their evil deed and an admission that God did not ordain them or approve of them.

You are in great error and preaching your religion is an evil deed.

There is nothing in the text that say men did not come to Jesus Christ because they were not elect. The fact of the matter is that every man who Jesus ministered to in the gospel accounts of of his earthly ministry were elect. This is easily proven by two verses from my KJV bible;

Isa 45:4 For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.
Matt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

A house is a family.

I am sorry but that is all you are here to talk about. Take me back to one of your posts where you have tried to exalt the savior . You glory in what you call your special position with God. You have been duped. You present God as a jokester who sends out reluctant participants to preach what you call good news to people whom he has already assigned to hell and has no intention of changing his mind about no matter what Jesus Christ has done for them. You would rather post comments and threads about who he will not save than what he has actually done for sinners. God is my Father and Jesus Christ is my savior and I take exception and am offended by these misrepresentations..

That is not the last verse in the text. Another verse in the text that you do not quote says this;

If nothing else has been established before we get to John 3 it is the fact that the light in the gospel of John is personified in the person of Jesus Christ. Men do not come to the light, that is, they do not come to Jesus Christ because their deeds are evil. Later on in this same book Jesus says this about what he does as the light;

John 7:7
The world cannot hate you; but me it hateth, because I testify of it, that the works thereof are evil.

This is why men will not come. They do not want Jesus testifying of evil because they choose to do the deeds of evil and they love these deeds more than they love the light. They know that coming to the light requires repentance of their evil deed and an admission that God did not ordain them or approve of them.

You are in great error and preaching your religion is an evil deed.

There is nothing in the text that say men did not come to Jesus Christ because they were not elect. The fact of the matter is that every man who Jesus ministered to in the gospel accounts of of his earthly ministry were elect. This is easily proven by two verses from my KJV bible;

Isa 45:4 For Jacob my servant's sake, and Israel mine elect, I have even called thee by thy name: I have surnamed thee, though thou hast not known me.
Matt 15:24 But he answered and said, I am not sent but unto the lost sheep of the house of Israel.

A house is a family.
No need to continue this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back