Theodoret of Cyrus, Cyril of Alexandria and Nestorius.

That is, page 8 of the PRAEFATIO AD LECTOREM QUA DE UNIVERSI OPERIS, and one page prior to the ADMONITIO
or
Page 27 of the PDF as downloaded from google books.

Thank you.

It also depends on which PDF reader you use for the page number, and if the scan of the hardcopy is from the same library. Sometimes they scan all the blank pages from the hard cover onwards, sometimes they don't.

I was using Foxit Phantom PDF reader which gave me page 30.

Thanks.

this page until the end of the PRAEFATIO AD LECTOREM englished: (improve on it if you can):

"I have used three copies of the Greek, Roman, Bavarian, and Fugger, which have been brought to me lately: I have also used the "Contian" edition: which book, though imperfect, and expressed verbatim from the Greek (whence often many things are very obscure, so that Oedipus seems to have some kind of work ?????), yet from a man pouring out Greek letters, it is not difficult to understand what Greek model he had.

Sometimes I followed the Roman pre-Bavarian, or the Fuggeric, or the Contian: Nor could I have done otherwise (if I had wanted to act only as a faithful and regular interpreter).

Of course, these originals are generally in agreement: : however, they sometimes differ in words, and in some other slight ways: from wherever at last this disharmony may have occurred.

As regards the Scriptures of both Testaments, I have retained the popular Latin edition: for the Greeks adduce 70 versions, which not infrequently differ from ours. It pleases me, because for so many centuries it has been retained by its most holy peers, and the Church has approved it: for I would not listen to the quarrelsome praise of heretics, who are always provoking new interpretations at the sources.

Moreover, no [biblical references] are indicated, so that they may be brought forth: and sometimes the opinion of the Scripture is more true than the Scripture itself, I have here expended a great deal of labor, and spent many hours searching in vain in our Bibles, [for that] which was not there.

Necessity therefore compelled the creation of certain Latin, & to print without the indication of books or chapters. But if there should perhaps be someone who believes that he can provide better and more comfortable things, which we have not provided in this book, he will certainly provide, "οὐθείς φθον &etc" (without envy), to obstruct our lights, he deserves approbation from the public. If they prefer to exercise their talent in converting other authors, there are not a few volumes of Greek, Hebrew, and Arabic in the Bibliotheca Vaticana, Medicaea, & Alberti of ours: he will elaborate on these upon his ascension to the Latin city, and the Catholic Church will dare to illuminate this kind of ornament for his manhood."
I take it that "Oedipus seems to have some kind of work" is a 16th century metaphor to flawed human nature.

Back