There is no "correct answer" to any question to an atheist

There is no "correct answer" to any question to an atheist except "Do you believe in the existence of gods" (to which the answer, by definition (of 'atheist') must be 'no').

So...

Is it okay to murder regardless of the circumstances?

Is it okay to commit adultery regardless of the circumstances?

Is it okay to steal regardless of the circumstances?

The "correct answer" for Christians is No.

Although I agree with you that there is no "correct answer" for an atheist...

I expect your fellow atheists on this forum may disagree with you.

Temujin

So...

Murder as defined in law, no. It is OK to kill somebody in some circumstances.
Depends on the circumstances, but I don't feel that bothered either way. There are worse forms of betrayal.

Stealing as defined by law, no. Removing the property of another can be justified, but not when contrary to law.

There are very few "correct" answers to any moral question that are regardless of circumstances.

Atheism has nothing to do with it. The are no correct answers for anyone, only opinions. Who is marking the paper?

You would be wrong then.

5wize

So...

No, I doubt atheists disagree with each other on that. What we disagree with is that in the realm of human morals and ethics, Christians can create an illusion of objective morality that actually works in the real world of human relations.

Electric Skeptic

So...

And you'll be wrong. There is nothing in atheism that requires a particular answer to any of the above questions.

Furion

And you'll be wrong. There is nothing in atheism that requires a particular answer to any of the above questions.

And you'll remain petty. Speaking of petty, the OP said to an atheist, not athiesm.

I would agree with the OP, there is no correct answer for the atheist, he has no real basis to declare it right or wrong in your material universe.

Whateverman

No. Murder is always wrong/illegal, by definition. I'm answering this as an intelligent human being; my atheism has nothing to do with that answer.

Nope. Same qualification; atheism is irrelevant to this subject.

Nope. Same qualification; atheism is irrelevant to this subject.

You can't answer for Christians. You can only answer for yourself.

And FWIW, it's pathetically easy to find situations in which a Christian will be ok with answering something other than "No" in all three situations.

5wize

And you'll remain petty. Speaking of petty, the OP said to an atheist, not athiesm.

I would agree with the OP, there is no correct answer for the atheist, he has no real basis to declare it right or wrong in your material universe.
And there is no objective morality of God that is applicable in human reality.

5wize

That would be your belief.
No, that's a fact, and I know you will not even attempt to test it because you know how fragile your belief in a God ordained objective morality truly is.
Whereas what I said is fact. A no God universe is amoral.
I guess you've completely missed the arc of history and the caprice of the natural world then. The world you claim infested with God and His objective morality is a pretty amoral place. Morality developed in, and exists in, humans alone.

How do I "know" this? I know this because you can't speak of any act, good or bad, of morality not originated or executed by anything other than a human. Sure you have a supernatural dogma, but that's all it really is.

Last edited:

Furion

No, that's a fact, and I know you will not even attempt to test it because you know how fragile your belief in a God ordained objective morality truly is.

You claim what is impossible for you to know, it is a belief.

I guess you've completely missed the arc of history and the caprice of the natural world then. The world you claim infested with God and His objective morality is a pretty amoral place. Morality developed in, and exists in, humans alone.

No, it is an immoral place.

But that has nothing to do with the material universe being amoral. That is fact.

You must remember, the vast majority of the world does believe in transcendent morality, so they would be acting immorally, not amorally.

Unless you are trying to claim they act amorally, because immoral doesn't compute.

5wize

You claim what is impossible for you to know, it is a belief.
It is possible to "know" via witness and experience of the objective world compared against theories involving the characteristics of God and His involvement in His creation. There are no objective set of rules that even God followed.
No, it is an immoral place.
That would be to say that there is no morality to be found on earth. We already know that's not true. You are on pretty shaky logical ground here so far.
But that has nothing to do with the material universe being amoral. That is fact.
Yes, amoral even with a divine origin, so God has no moral characteristic if His creation contains and expresses His very nature, which is the Christian claim. Again your logic is getting tangled in a web trying to find some odd traction against what we already know about Christian doctrine.
You must remember, the vast majority of the world does believe in transcendent morality, so they would be acting immorally, not amorally.
That doesn't follow. It doesn't matter what one believes about the origin of morality. Morality is a measure of worth of an action towards common human objectives found in all humans. The moral efficacy of an act is not measured against what the actor believes about moral origins. That's just illogical.
Unless you are trying to claim they act amorally, because immoral doesn't compute.
I'm trying to say that despite the claim that God expresses an objective morality by nature, the nature He created is amoral and it is humans alone that add any semblance of morality in the landscape and it is only objective to our collective inner natures, not a distant deity's fiat.

Last edited:

The Pixie

So...

Is is okay to own another person as your chattel slave in any circumstances?

The correct answer is No,

And yet the Bible tells us Yes, and many Christians are on record saying slavery is moral, and justifying that with the Bible.,

Gus Bovona

Atheism doesn't demand a particular answer to those questions, but atheists may well converge on similar answers to those questions, but not because of their atheism necessarily.

No.
No.
Maybe. If your family is starving and you steal to save their lives that could be considered OK. It is not OK to steal just to enrich yourself.
Okie dokie.
There is no 'correct' answer for anyone since right and wrong are subjective. We each decide for ourselves what is right and wrong. I could argue why I think my answers are right but I cannot prove it objectively.

And you cannot prove that the Christian answers are objectively correct either - they are your personal opinions of what is right just like mine.

Mr Laurier

So...

No.

No.

Maybe.

Except when it is "yes", which seems to be whenever they can justify it. Funny how that works.

Except that there obviously is.

Just because we think for ourselves, does not make us any less human.