Thinking Of Converting To Catholicism?

Sherman

I have said this before - every Christian group has its 'rind' - stuff that is unhelpful and useless. Even Protestant and Evangelical churches have their rind. I am in a Baptist church and I see things in it that are useless.

Mike McK

Maybe. I think it's impossible to avoid bias, really, but at least you can see the best or at least good aspects of something rather than the trash people talk about it.
So, how do you learn about negative or harmful aspects if all you talk to are biased Catholics who will give you the "best or at least good aspects"?

Why would you risk your eternal life without learning about all sides?

mica

jonathan_hili said:
Maybe. I think it's impossible to avoid bias, really, but at least you can see the best or at least good aspects of something rather than the trash people talk about it.
there is nothing in the CC that is best compared to what God has made available to us.

there is nothing in the CC that is even good compared to what God has made available to us.

So, how do you learn about negative or harmful aspects if all you talk to are biased Catholics who will give you the "best or at least good aspects"?

As long as people have open minds to both sides.

leonard03782

That is the problem, rc's only want to hear what tickles their ears. While I am at it, I will go ahead and throw protestants under the bus as well. There is a very good reason why it is suggested that religion and politics should never be brought up over the dinner table.

jonathan_hili

Because I think any worldview deserves to have its best represented first - what it has on offer - before going to criticisms. There are enough negative and harmful aspects in every worldview to put you off anything. Once you've become acquainted then look into serious, intelligent criticism.
I agree. Don't.

jonathan_hili

there is nothing in the CC that is best compared to what God has made available to us.

there is nothing in the CC that is even good compared to what God has made available to us.
Such as the Eucharist? If the Eucharist is Jesus coming to us in his very substance in such an intimate way, I think that's something not to be scoffed at.

mica

Because I think any worldview deserves to have its best represented first - what it has on offer - before going to criticisms. There are enough negative and harmful aspects in every worldview to put you off anything. Once you've become acquainted then look into serious, intelligent criticism.

I agree. Don't.
can't get past what it does have to offer. false teachings of men...

go right to what it doesn't offer - salvation thru Christ and His sacrifice on the cross.

mica

mica said:

Such as the Eucharist? If the Eucharist is Jesus coming to us in his very substance in such an intimate way, I think that's something not to be scoffed at.
the catholic wafer doesn't. eating a wafer does nothing for anyone except maybe cause them to swallow.

Mike McK

Actually, I think the idea that a priest says a couple of magic words and turns Jesus into a Saltine deserves very much to be scoffed at. And I do scoff at that, as well as the people who are so stupid that they believe it.

jonathan_hili

Actually, I think the idea that a priest says a couple of magic words and turns Jesus into a Saltine deserves very much to be scoffed at. And I do scoff at that, as well as the people who are so stupid that they believe it.
Just as Jews and Muslims would scoff at someone so stupid they believe a human being can be God?

Mike McK

Just as Jews and Muslims would scoff at someone so stupid they believe a human being can be God?
The difference is that I can make a case from both logic and the scriptures why your pagan beliefs and rituals are foolish. They can't do so for the deity of Christ.

mica

Mike McK said:

there's a big difference in scoffing at God's word vs that of men.

mica

jonathan_hili said:
If you wanted to seriously look at the ideology and why it was appealing to many. It's not like Nazism has no virtues - it does. It just perverts a lot of what is good.
so does catholicism. Those who don't know God or His word are the ones who will believe those perversions are truth.