This Is the Cost of a Failed Impeachment

Ficciones

"The memory of impeachment is back with a vengeance this week. Though Biden beat Trump, the president continues to try to overturn Biden’s victory. In a phone call on Saturday that was eerily reminiscent of Trump’s July 2019 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Trump tried to pressure Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger of Georgia (the state, not the country) to do something, anything, to throw the state’s results back to him.

"During impeachment, Trump’s critics, including me, warned repeatedly that if he were not impeached and removed, he’d feel empowered to commit the same offenses again. Trump’s current, shambling coup attempt is the price of the Senate’s failure to remove him."

Authentic Nouveau

So the Marxistas lied and impeachment failed.
So they had to cheat and tamper with voting machines and cheat with mail in ballots and take revenge on the Greatest president in my lifetime.
Cheating is the left winger revenge.

Temujin

So they had to cheat and tamper with voting machines and cheat with mail in ballots and take revenge on the Greatest president in my lifetime.
No, that isn't what is being suggested. The Senate failed to even consider the evidence, as they felt they had more to lose politically by trying and convicting Trump than by letting him off having "learnt his lesson". Sadly the lesson he learnt was that he can get away with anything. It looks now like the Republicans miscalculated and that they are destroying their party. No great loss, but it's a shame they have to do so much damage to the US at the same time.

Reformedguy

"The memory of impeachment is back with a vengeance this week. Though Biden beat Trump, the president continues to try to overturn Biden’s victory. In a phone call on Saturday that was eerily reminiscent of Trump’s July 2019 call with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, Trump tried to pressure Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger of Georgia (the state, not the country) to do something, anything, to throw the state’s results back to him.

"During impeachment, Trump’s critics, including me, warned repeatedly that if he were not impeached and removed, he’d feel empowered to commit the same offenses again. Trump’s current, shambling coup attempt is the price of the Senate’s failure to remove him."

Maybe in a couple of years when we retake the house impeachment will be more successful.

Furion

Maybe in a couple of years when we retake the house impeachment will be more successful.
There is a good chance liberals will impeach Joey.

His crooked ways are in their back pocket.

We could one day wake up and the impeachment is on!

vibise

No, that isn't what is being suggested. The Senate failed to even consider the evidence, as they felt they had more to lose politically by trying and convicting Trump than by letting him off having "learnt his lesson". Sadly the lesson he learnt was that he can get away with anything. It looks now like the Republicans miscalculated and that they are destroying their party. No great loss, but it's a shame they have to do so much damage to the US at the same time.
Republicans do not think they miscalculated by not impeaching Trump. They are not only fine with his post-election antics, they are lining up behind him to help subvert the election as well as democracy in the USA.

Temujin

Republicans do not think they miscalculated by not impeaching Trump. They are not only fine with his post-election antics, they are lining up behind him to help subvert the election as well as democracy in the USA.
Not all of them. I have read some commentators suggesting (perhaps optimistically) that this will ruin the Republican party, split it in two. Maybe even facilitate the birth of a third centrist party. I doubt it. The political inertia in a country the size of the US is pretty substantial. It is likely to make life difficult for Republicans however, if the only ones popular enough with the MAGA mob to survive the primary are unelectable in a wider election. We have to believe that the majority of the US population are reasonable people who love their country more than they love their party, let alone Trump.

Whateverman

I say the following not to contradict you, but to vent what's going on in my head:

I go back and forth between tarring the GOP as a whole, and trying to distinguish between those who hate this country's values and those who are trying to stand up for them. For example (and I know @Feyaway might agree with this), Larry Hogan is someone the GOP needs right now; so is governor John Kasich. There's a younger Republican Iraq war vet who's come out pretty strongly against the congressional support for not certifying Biden's electoral win. Mitt Romney, etc.

Of course, there's good reason to be cynical of some of these critics of our so-called president. Even though everyone knew the kind of person that was sitting behind the resolute desk, GOP criticism has almost all been produced way too late, and is accompanied by very little action. I have no sympathy for them right now.

---

And there it is. While I revile the GOP as it stands today, I have to admit there are a few I wouldn't mind seeing take leadership roles within their party - for the benefit of the country, not just for my own preference.

vibise

I say the following not to contradict you, but to vent what's going on in my head:

I go back and forth between tarring the GOP as a whole, and trying to distinguish between those who hate this country's values and those who are trying to stand up for them. For example (and I know @Feyaway might agree with this), Larry Hogan is someone the GOP needs right now; so is governor John Kasich. There's a younger Republican Iraq war vet who's come out pretty strongly against the congressional support for not certifying Biden's electoral win. Mitt Romney, etc.

Of course, there's good reason to be cynical of some of these critics of our so-called president. Even though everyone knew the kind of person that was sitting behind the resolute desk, GOP criticism has almost all been produced way too late, and is accompanied by very little action. I have no sympathy for them right now.

---

And there it is. While I revile the GOP as it stands today, I have to admit there are a few I wouldn't mind seeing take leadership roles within their party - for the benefit of the country, not just for my own preference.
Kasich and Hogan (I live in MD) generally hold very RW policy positions, and while people like Sasse and Romney have criticized Trump, their criticisms are largely based on style while they continue to support his policies.

The GOP, which has morphed into the Trump party, no longer has principles or a set of defining policy positions. Remember they were not able to write a platform for the 2020 Presidential election. They have advanced few policy-based bills, and only get excited over tax cuts for the rich and reductions in regulations, including those that protect our air and water and consumer and worker rights.

Once Trump is gone, the GOP will have to take actual positions on things beyond obstructionism. Don't think they are up to it.

Bob1

There was no cheating or tampering. Your orange messiah LOST. Move on.

J regia

Do you think that your messiah should be impeached again, or should he resign, or should Pence just replace him with the 25th?

Or just lock the door and let him throw tantrums and smash his phones and TV sets and melt down until the men in white coats arrive?

Whateverman

Do you think that your messiah should be impeached again, or should he resign, or should Pence just replace him with the 25th?
Uncharacteristically, the last time Nouveau logged on was last Wednesday, at 7 something in the morning.

The day of the riot.

I bet his Mom (and thus her basement) are both in the DC area...

Howie

What?

Howie

You can't impeach when you the only grounds for impeachment you have is an Adam Schiff fantasy.

Let that be a lesson to you.

J regia

You can't impeach when you the only grounds for impeachment you have is an Adam Schiff fantasy.

Let that be a lesson to you.
So what evidence do you have that it was just a fantasy that your lying messiah committed treason by urging his fascist terrorists to storm the capital building?

Howie

So what evidence do you have that it was just a fantasy that your lying messiah committed treason by urging his fascist terrorists to storm the capital building?
Trump's having been found innocent, genius.

Last edited: