This Present Darkness

e v e

by Frank Peretti

"Ashton is just a typical small town. But when a skeptical reporter and a pastor begin to compare notes, they suddenly find themselves fighting a hideous plot to subjugate the townspeople―and eventually the entire human race. A riveting thriller, This Present Darkness offers a fascinating glimpse into the unseen world of spiritual warfare."

SteveB

by Frank Peretti

"Ashton is just a typical small town. But when a skeptical reporter and a pastor begin to compare notes, they suddenly find themselves fighting a hideous plot to subjugate the townspeople―and eventually the entire human race. A riveting thriller, This Present Darkness offers a fascinating glimpse into the unseen world of spiritual warfare."
I remember Frank's books..... it's been a long time since we read his stuff. There are some really great christian fiction writers out there nowadays.

Mike McK

The questionable theology aside, This Present Darkness was pretty good. Piercing The Darkness wasn't as good, but was still better than most Christian fiction. Spawned a ton of imitators.

Incidentally, I was Frank Peretti's driver one year when he spoke at the Creation Festival. I had been tasked with driving him to the Altoona airport, but he asked me if I'd drive him somewhere much further away, where he had a speaking engagement the next day. Nice guy, but a complete space cadet. He plays the banjo, so we had that in common. But three hours in a van with him is a long time.

e v e

The questionable theology aside, This Present Darkness was pretty good. Piercing The Darkness wasn't as good, but was still better than most Christian fiction. Spawned a ton of imitators.

Incidentally, I was Frank Peretti's driver one year when he spoke at the Creation Festival. I had been tasked with driving him to the Altoona airport, but he asked me if I'd drive him somewhere much further away, where he had a speaking engagement the next day. Nice guy, but a complete space cadet. He plays the banjo, so we had that in common. But three hours in a van with him is a long time.
Interesting... why was he a space cadet?

Questionable theology? I read it a long time ago and don't remember that.

Mike McK

Interesting... why was he a space cadet?
I remember he talked about 90 miles an hour and his voice went up and down a lot like Austin Powers. He had this weird hippie vibe to him. Nice guy, just weird.
Questionable theology? I read it a long time ago and don't remember that.
It's nothing essential, nothing salvation endangering, but the way angels are portrayed and work isn't Biblical. I get that it's fiction and some artistic license is requires, but it was sold as being accurate and a lot of people took their theology about angels from it.

e v e

I remember he talked about 90 miles an hour and his voice went up and down a lot like Austin Powers. He had this weird hippie vibe to him. Nice guy, just weird.

It's nothing essential, nothing salvation endangering, but the way angels are portrayed and work isn't Biblical. I get that it's fiction and some artistic license is requires, but it was sold as being accurate and a lot of people took their theology about angels from it.
Angels are a bit of a tricky topic to speculate about. : )

Some people when they are nervous act differently than if they knew you well.

What I liked about the book, of what I recall and why I posted this, is that it shows the situation of the helpless soul surrounded by the constant plotting of the satanic minded... = the daily trials functioning around the insane. : )

The second one I didn't didn't read yet.

Bonnie

I remember Frank's books..... it's been a long time since we read his stuff. There are some really great christian fiction writers out there nowadays.
I have read a number of his books. He has gotten better over the years. One thing he did in his early career as a writer--wrote lots of short, choppy paragraphs, which I did not like. I think it was called THE PROPHET. I quit reading this one book of his, it got so bad. But he has gotten better at it.

I think I read THIS PRESENT DARKNESS years ago and still have it. I will have to check.....yes, I do, plus the sequal, PIERCING THE DARKNESS. Both were good. I liked all of the different angel personalities that were in the books.

I have another one THE OATH that hubby got me for Christmas, an autographed copy, no less. It was really very intense and got spookier and spookier as the book progressed. It was a bit corny at the beginning chapter, but got better as it went along.

Another one of his I read is called THE HOUSE, if I remember correctly. That was an intense, spooky one, too. I think I read one more but don't have it anymore and don't remember the name.

IMO, the best Christian novelist is Francine Rivers. Oh, my word, that woman can write! Her AND THE SHOFAR BLEW is a great book, a warning to all churches, really, what can happen to a church when it focuses mainly on church growth rather than preaching and teaching the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.

SteveB

I have read a number of his books. He has gotten better over the years. One thing he did in his early career as a writer--wrote lots of short, choppy paragraphs, which I did not like. I think it was called THE PROPHET. I quit reading this one book of his, it got so bad. But he has gotten better at it.

I think I read THIS PRESENT DARKNESS years ago and still have it. I will have to check.....yes, I do, plus the sequal, PIERCING THE DARKNESS. Both were good. I liked all of the different angel personalities that were in the books.

I have another one THE OATH that hubby got me for Christmas, an autographed copy, no less. It was really very intense and got spookier and spookier as the book progressed. It was a bit corny at the beginning chapter, but got better as it went along.

Another one of his I read is called THE HOUSE, if I remember correctly. That was an intense, spooky one, too. I think I read one more but don't have it anymore and don't remember the name.

IMO, the best Christian novelist is Francine Rivers. Oh, my word, that woman can write! Her AND THE SHOFAR BLEW is a great book, a warning to all churches, really, what can happen to a church when it focuses mainly on church growth rather than preaching and teaching the Gospel message of Jesus Christ.
My initial exposure to Christian fiction writers was a woman by the name of Ellen Gunderson, who eventually became Ellen Gunderson Traylor.
She wrote numerous biographical stories about the bible characters.
Song of Abraham
Noah
And others.

I really liked her stories because they gave the sense of "putting skin on the skeleton of the biblical narrative."

Another great writer was a woman by the name of Taylor Caldwell.

I would place her alongside of John Steinbeck. She was a Catholic writer, so she wrote about Luke, Paul, took a stab at the time right around the flood of Noah.

Bonnie

My initial exposure to Christian fiction writers was a woman by the name of Ellen Gunderson, who eventually became Ellen Gunderson Traylor.
She wrote numerous biographical stories about the bible characters.
Song of Abraham
Noah
And others.

I really liked her stories because they gave the sense of "putting skin on the skeleton of the biblical narrative."

Another great writer was a woman by the name of Taylor Caldwell.

I would place her alongside of John Steinbeck. She was a Catholic writer, so she wrote about Luke, Paul, took a stab at the time right around the flood of Noah.
I have not heard of two of them, but did read Taylor Caldwell's book on Paul, but did not like it much. If memory serves, she had Paul as a teenager seeing Jesus with Mary, and Taylor made him blonde and blue-eyed. Semites are fairly dark skinned, have dark eyes and hair.

Never read Steinbeck, except for THE SNAKE short story,, but I don't remember that he ever wrote any Biblical novels.

I also liked Frank G. Slaughter, even though some of what he wrote was a bit of a stretch. He too was Catholic.

Last edited:

SteveB

I have not heard of two of them, but did read Taylor Caldwell's book on Oakland, but did not like it much. If memory serves, she had Paul as a teenager seeing Jesus with Mary, and Taylor made him blonde and blue-eyed. Semites are fairly dark skinned, have dark eyes and hair.
Never heard of that one before.
I read Paul, Lion of God

Never read Steinbeck,but I don't remember that he ever wrote any Biblical novels.
Nope. He was a writer from the early to mid 1900s. Wrote some great stories. Two of them became movies.
Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men.
His more profound, and my favorite book was- East of Eden.
He grew up in Salinas Calif. So, it seems like it was something of an autobiography.

I also liked Frank G. Slaughter, even though some of what he wrote was a bit of a stretch. He too was Catholic.
Never heard of him.

Bonnie

Never heard of that one before.
I read Paul, Lion of God

That was the one. And I am pretty sure that incident came from this book.
Nope. He was a writer from the early to mid 1900s. Wrote some great stories. Two of them became movies.
Grapes of Wrath
Of Mice and Men.
His more profound, and my favorite book was- East of Eden.
He grew up in Salinas Calif. So, it seems like it was something of an autobiography.

Never heard of him.
I know who Steinbeck was, but I was only talking about Christian fiction writers.

Check out Slaughter in your library. I like his retelling of stories from the Bible, called THE LAND AND THE PROMISE.