Thought Experiment

Romans 1:20 isn't someone claiming to speak for God. Paul is making a philosophical argument to an audience of folks who were, effectively, unbelievers.

You seem to be saying The Bible is true because The Bible claims to speak for God

A philosophical argument for the existence of God is NOT "speaking for" God.

Paul's writing is full of ideas and Greek philosophy drawn from philosophers such as Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Seneca, Euripides...and he uses this deliberately because he knows his audience ARENT going to be influenced by something as naive as...."God told me this, therefore you should believe me."

You're right.
I have absolutely no idea what evideCE is.
Not a word I've even seen before.
Sorry - I did not know. We are talking about empirical evidence. Empirical evidence is evidence you can evaluate with the five senses - you can touch it or observe it or weigh it. It can be seen and tested by anyone in the world.

Examples would be a moon rock, a glass of water, or a piece of Manna that God dropped from the sky over Africa to feed the hungry.

You have never given us anything we can see and test. So you have no empirical evidence.

You have tons of subjective, unverifiable evidenced - so does the Hindu and the Astrologer. But that is not compelling.
Had you actually studied a scientific discipline, you would have understood that concept.
You misuse the terms empirical, subjective, objective, and the construction of an experiment completely, utterly, objectively wrong. So I can take this with a grain of salt.
You'll have to explain to me some day what an nto is.
Its a typo.
By giving you my empirical evidence, you have to take my word and claims on faith.
I absolutely do not.
In this manner they're able to get their own empirical evidence to give them a basis to affirm or challenge the claims of the authors.
No! They do not 'get their own' evidence. They evaluate the empirical evidence from the original experiment. Then they evaluate it and evidence and see if they get the same answer. They do not introduce new evidence in a peer review.

They get their own results sure. But the evidence they evaluate is the original, empirical evidence.
So follow the practices of what Jesus said.
Engage him yourself.

Paul tells us in 1 Thessalonians 5:21-22,

1Th 5:21-22 WEB 21 Test all things, and hold firmly that which is good. 22 Abstain from every form of evil.

This is enjoining you to do your own research on this issue.
Is The Bible your empirical evidence? Ah - OK. You are right. The Bible is empirical - we can read it, test it, and evaluate it. I can get a Bible identical to yours and test it myself.

This is a proper, empirical experiment. Yay!

I read The Bible and evaluated your evidence for your claims of God. Sadly I got a different result - no god. So I cannot confirm your claim that you know God.

So we wait for more, or better, evidence. Something that people evaluate and all of them instantly find God. That would be a conclusive test of your theory.

For now so many people read The Bible and get a different result from you that this is all very much in the 'we do not know yet' catagory.
I have repeatedly told you that the only way you can get your own empirical evidence is to do what we who follow Jesus are doing ....
"Go prove my beliefs" is about the worst arguement I have ever heard in a discussion or debate. I do not know whyt you think asking someone to go get the evidence you cannot provide for your own ideas is rational.

Its not.
I've already done this.
You have made it clear that you don't want to take the proof at face value.
Who does this? The naïve? The credulous? The gullible? Accepting claims of supernatural knowledge at face value is madness.
Another acronym?
I never saw ]OK before either.
Its another typo. I am glad, and confused, that you are having so much fun with typos.
That experience is not empirically acquired?
Experience is not empirical evidence.
I see self-deceit is floating yours.
Ironic.
Peer review is the process of learning the experience of the author, in regards to their research.
If you think scientific peer review is 'learning the experience of the author' then this is another term you do not understand. Perr review is the rigorous, controlled, deliberate duplication of the original experiment on the same empirical evidence to see if you get the same result.

Its not a hippie commune where we try to meld experiences in the meditation te3nt.

Peer review is rooted in rigor and empiricism - not the experiences of the original scientist.
In the case of the bible, we who follow Jesus are also reviewers (every single human being since the bible was written is a reviewer. The writers are the authors of the first initial contacts), and have done our own respective research, and can affirm that the bible is true and YHVH's word for the human race.
We, as reviewers, are letting you know what we've learned, and saying that you can indeed do it for yourself.
I conducted the same experiment and got a different result. So its back to the drawing board for you I am afraid. Keep trying until you have an experiment where everyone who does what you say finds God.

Until then the results of people reading The Bible are so inconsistent that we, as scientists and empiricists, have to say 'we do not know yet'
Someone who is a good scientist will not argue about it. They'll engage in researching the content for themselves.
I did. I got a wildly different result. I did the experiment again and read The Bible and prayed for revelation. Again I got a different result from you.

You seem to think peer review is when someone checks your experiment and if you get your conclusion they are right and if not they did the experiment wrong.

Any scientist with that attitude would lose all credibility, and probably his position, with his peers.
Your afflictions will be dispelled.....
I doubt it. I know of too many Christians who prayed daily to Jesus Christ on bended knee for their afflictions to be dispelled. They spiraled into suffering and long, slow, death.

What you claim is true does not match reality.
Let us know how that works out for you.
I'm doing great - thanks!
WHEN you figure out that it's not true, come do what Jesus said.
OK. I'll let you know if that ever happens.

Now get off your duff and step up and send me some empirical evidence for God that I can evaluate! My address is:

1280 Maryland Ave SW, Washington, DC 20250

I look forward to the holy relic you are sending so I can start my own analysis. Thanks!

OK. Let me know when you can prove this.
Actually it is only the truth and reality that can make you believe it. And if anyone tells you otherwise, then they don't understand the Bible.
So people who agree with you understand and those that do not misunderstand. That is a logic error - cognitive bias. And it weakens your arguement.
That's what it is to be a unbeliever, you think the truth is a "word salad" or "nonsensical", because your unbelief just makes you unaware of the truth and reality.
I think your descriptions of truth are word salad - I understand truth just fine.
The word 'believe' describes what we think we know in our minds - I agree. But it is not truth. We need to prove the ideas true empirically.

Lots of people have the belief that the world is flat. That does not make the world flat.
Strawman. Actually I don't "believe empiricism works" for anyone to make the truth and reality known to them, because empiricism excludes belief as a form of knowledge, when in reality belief is necessary in order to make all truth and reality known to everyone including you.
Yes. This is why empiricism helps us build planes and rockets and vaccines and hospitals and tacos and Teslas.

And you are right - belief is not a form of evidence. That's why building things based on belief is not as useful as empiricism.
Are you seriously suggesting that a computers built themselves
No. I am suggesting we used empiricism to make them. They were not built based on the belief of a PC in someone's mind.
What sane person disbelieves that they HAVE to believe in order to make the truth known to themselves? And to suggest that your physical senses can make the truth and reality known to you without first believing anything is akin to insanity.
If you have a way to know truth without the human senses then you are headed for a Nobel Prize. The fact that you think we can tell what is true in reality without our senses speaks volumes.
Is believing you have to believe the truth before it is known to you "secret knowledge of the truth - which you cannot prove"?
You claim to have supernatural knowledge of God. Claiming it is a belief in your mind does not prove it true.
No, strawman. My claim is that the Bible tells us exactly how and why the truth and reality is made known to us. And you have not shown otherwise.
Russel's Teapot logic error - we do not believe things until they are proven wrong. Again, delusion.
Are you really pretending that the Bible doesn't promote belief as the only means by which the truth and reality is made known to us?
It might. I do not know. I know The Vedas says a lot about the path to truth. I know the Buddhists and Scientologists claim to have the path to truth.

But these ar just claims in ancient books - do you just believe them all? Or did you decide to just believe the one you like?
The truth and reality can only be known to exist and occur in and with a believing mind, so God is that Original believing mind that the truth and reality always existed. Since to say that the truth or reality never always existed is self-refuting, then the truth and reality must have existed somewhere for eternity. So, the truth and reality must have resulted from God's Believing Mind.
Sure.

A philosophical argument for the existence of God is NOT "speaking for" God.
I agree. My error. I was thinking of how often Christians say "God wants you to do this" or "Jesus says to not do that". And that is claiming to speak for a god.

My mistake.
Paul's writing is full of ideas and Greek philosophy drawn from philosophers such as Plato, Socrates, Aristotle, Seneca, Euripides...and he uses this deliberately because he knows his audience ARENT going to be influenced by something as naive as...."God told me this, therefore you should believe me."
Cool! I do not know what this proves though. I like discussing The Iliad a lot too. But that does not make Achilles real.

So I guess I lost your point somewhere - sorry - been a long day :)

Scientists who are engaged in peer review are reading the writings of their peers.
If they're concerned that the work is producing fraudulent information, they're free to do their own research, by following the same practices the authors used.
I am in!

Lets do an old fashioned peer review test of the empirical experiment that led you to God. Now then - what were the parameters of your experiment so I can recreate them? Which piece of empirical evidence that you gave me should I start with? What are the steps to follow that lead to God?

I'm ready! What do I test first?

Last edited:
Sorry - I did not know. We are talking about empirical evidence.
Ah.... evideNce...
That's a word I'm acquainted with.
I just never saw EvideCe before.

Empirical evidence is evidence you can evaluate with the five senses - you can touch it or observe it or weigh it. It can be seen and tested by anyone in the world.
I'd agree with this.

Examples would be a moon rock, a glass of water, or a piece of Manna that God dropped from the sky over Africa to feed the hungry.
Ironically, nowhere in the bible does it say YHVH dropped manna from the sky in Africa.
What would today be the regions of Saudi Arabia, Jordan... yes. But Africa.... no.
You have never given us anything we can see and test. So you have no empirical evidence.
That's not true. I have repeatedly given you the empirical evidence that YHVH is real.
The nation of Israel, and the Jewish people.

You however keep saying that they are not evidence of YHVH's existence.

You have tons of subjective, unverifiable evidenced - so does the Hindu and the Astrologer. But that is not compelling.
And yet I see you provide nothing which would give us reason to believe that is true.

I'd say that the problem here is that you don't actually know what empirical evidence is.
A political body of people looks pretty empirical to me. I can travel to Israel. I can engage in the politics of the nation, handle the products they manufacture, foods they sell, talk with people who are Israeli, read books published by Israeli people, in the Israeli language. I can observe the bible in action in Israel.
I'd say that's better than a moon rock.
Furthermore I can talk to a Jewish person and corroborate they are in fact Jewish.

I can further handle the book, a collection of writings that are historically known as the bible.
I have a copy of the Dead Sea scrolls sitting on my book shelf at home right now, and have previously verified that what is written on its pages matches what was found in the Qumran caves in 1947, and dated to the first century.
I've further corroborated that what is written in the Dead Sea scrolls matches what is written in the bible I use.

Sounds like empirical evidence based on your definition.

You misuse the terms empirical, subjective, objective, and the construction of an experiment completely, utterly, objectively wrong. So I can take this with a grain of salt.
Sounds like you have a subjective opinion, but we're supposed to take that subjective opinion as factual, regardless, and are not allowed to question your opinions.

Sounds pretty subjective to me.

Its a typo.
Ah. That's what I thought, but I've never seen anything like this before so I had to say as much.
I absolutely do not.
Well, you've provided nothing which would corroborate that, so that seems subjective to me.

No! They do not 'get their own' evidence. They evaluate the empirical evidence from the original experiment. Then they evaluate it and evidence and see if they get the same answer. They do not introduce new evidence in a peer review.
I said that they can, if they decide that they don't believe that the author is correct in their own research.
Please... pay attention.

They get their own results sure. But the evidence they evaluate is the original, empirical evidence.
Yep.
Is The Bible your empirical evidence? Ah - OK.
Nope. The evidence is the basis from which I understand the biblical narrative.

You are right. The Bible is empirical - we can read it, test it, and evaluate it. I can get a Bible identical to yours and test it myself.

This is a proper, empirical experiment. Yay!

I read The Bible and evaluated your evidence for your claims of God. Sadly I got a different result - no god. So I cannot confirm your claim that you know God.
I read the Quran. I see nothing that shows me how to know Allah.
What am I supposed to do, get myself killed murdering other people in the name of Islam?
It's a sure fire way to end up dead.

Jesus said that we must DO what he says to know him.

He tells us,
If you love me, keep my commandments and my Father will love you and we will come and make our home with you.

Reading alone has never been enough.
It's doing what Jesus said that matters, and will result in their coming to live with you.

Don't worry though. You won't have to murder anyone. Jesus said that we're to love our enemies, to pray for those who treat us spitefully, and bless those who curse us.

So, the worst possible scenario is that you would be faced with the idea that you would be loving people who despise you.

While indeed unpleasant, and challenging, I'm curious why taking the time to learn to do what Jesus said is such a problem for you.

So we wait for more, or better, evidence. Something that people evaluate and all of them instantly find God. That would be a conclusive test of your theory.
The irony is that the moment after your death, the magnitude of evidence will be inescapable. It'll also be impossible to turn back to do anything about it. You'll find yourself eternally stuck where you are, and no amount of arguing will change your state.

For now so many people read The Bible and get a different result from you that this is all very much in the 'we do not know yet' catagory.
Reading isn't enough.
I have made this clear repeatedly, and yet you keep ignoring it.indeed! You actually whined about it earlier today.

It's an absolute necessity to be a doer of the word of God.
Failure to do so excludes you from knowing the truth.

This is exactly why Jesus told is-- if to continue in my teachings, you will know the truth and the truth will set you free.

"Go prove my beliefs" is about the worst arguement I have ever heard in a discussion or debate. I do not know whyt you think asking someone to go get the evidence you cannot provide for your own ideas is rational.
For someone who claims to be so intelligent, you sure do demonstrate a lot of density, and lack thereof.

I've stated this several different ways, and you keep tripping over yourself in restating my comments.

It's leaving me wondering if you just like acting ignorant.

It's not my beliefs you are testing.
It's the bible.

So, let's see if you can figure that out or will you keep confusing yourself.

Its not.

Who does this? The naïve? The credulous? The gullible? Accepting claims of supernatural knowledge at face value is madness.
Then don't. I have taken the time to learn so I can better understand.

My experiences however have found that the supernatural is irrefutable and inescapable.
It's a matter of sheer stupidity and ignorance that makes people believe they can ignore it.

Its another typo. I am glad, and confused, that you are having so much fun with typos.
Well, if I have to continue to assume what you mean, then this is going to take a very, very, very, very long time to get through your posts.
Is that what you want? Confusion and lack of clarity?

Experience is not empirical evidence.
You haven't actually read any peer reviewed articles, have you.

Ironic.

If you think scientific peer review is 'learning the experience of the author' then this is another term you do not understand. Perr review is the rigorous, controlled, deliberate duplication of the original experiment on the same empirical evidence to see if you get the same result.
Perr......
Is that somebody's name?
I'm acquainted with a guy who is a programmer named Per. Not familiar with Perr though.

Its not a hippie commune where we try to meld experiences in the meditation te3nt.
Where on earth did you come up with that idea?
I've never lived on a hippie commune.

Peer review is rooted in rigor and empiricism - not the experiences of the original scientist.
Something you have utterly failed to do in your descriptions below.

I conducted the same experiment and got a different result. So its back to the drawing board for you I am afraid. Keep trying until you have an experiment where everyone who does what you say finds God.
Really? The SAME, EXACT experiment?
Seems to me that you believe that is what you did. But as you are not detailing your experiment, I think that you want me to believe that is what you did.

This is exactly the problem with this lack of detail in writing up your lack of experience as a journal article.

Until then the results of people reading The Bible are so inconsistent that we, as scientists and empiricists, have to say 'we do not know yet'
That's the curious thing about this.
Jesus said

If you continue in my teachings, you shall know the truth and the truth will set you free.

It's curious how we never read--
If you don't get what you think is going to happen, you can quit, and in quitting, you will know the truth and the truth will set you free...

We read plenty however that describes the issues associated with quitting. It's never a good picture.

Matthew 13 and the parable of the sower is the most profound description of what happens when you quit.

I did. I got a wildly different result. I did the experiment again and read The Bible and prayed for revelation. Again I got a different result from you.
Yet you can't detail what you did. Nor provide a detailed set of references from which you based your lack of experience and awareness.

You seem to think peer review is when someone checks your experiment and if you get your conclusion they are right and if not they did the experiment wrong.
You seem to think you actually know what you're talking about.

Any scientist with that attitude would lose all credibility, and probably his position, with his peers.
Assuming again. Pity you're so afraid to learn.

I doubt it. I know of too many Christians who prayed daily to Jesus Christ on bended knee for their afflictions to be dispelled. They spiraled into suffering and long, slow, death.
I was quoting your quote from the vedas. Please.... pay attention!

What you claim is true does not match reality.
You've already demonstrated that it doesn't match YOUR reality.
It's been matching the reality of Jesus followers for millennia.
I'm doing great - thanks!

OK. I'll let you know if that ever happens.

Now get off your duff and step up and send me some empirical evidence for God that I can evaluate! My address is:

1280 Maryland Ave SW, Washington, DC 20250
Which means that you are in the blue cross offices.
What is your mail stop?
Looking at Google Earth, it's pretty clear that I'll need more than the business address to an insurance company.
Who do I ask for? I highly doubt that your coworkers know you as Light-hearted atheist.

I look forward to the holy relic you are sending so I can start my own analysis. Thanks!
You can find it at 31°46'36.06" N, 35°14'2.94" E.
You'll find further details between
29°29'26.18"N and 33°17'26.89" N, and 34°16'1.89" and 35°53'44.42" E.

I am in!

Lets do an old fashioned peer review test of the empirical experiment that led you to God. Now then - what were the parameters of your experiment so I can recreate them? Which piece of empirical evidence that you gave me should I start with? What are the steps to follow that lead to God?

I'm ready! What do I test first?

Joh 8:31-36 WEB 31 Jesus therefore said to those Jews who had believed him, “If you remain in my word, then you are truly my disciples. 32 You will know the truth, and the truth will make you free.” 33 They answered him, “We are Abraham’s offspring, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How do you say, ‘You will be made free’?” 34 Jesus answered them, “Most certainly I tell you, everyone who commits sin is the bondservant of sin. 35 A bondservant doesn’t live in the house forever. A son remains forever. 36 If therefore the Son makes you free, you will be free indeed.

Joh 14:23 WEB Jesus answered him, “If a man loves me, he will keep my word. My Father will love him, and we will come to him, and make our home with him.

Jas 1:22-25 WEB 22 But be doers of the word, and not only hearers, deluding your own selves. 23 For if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man looking at his natural face in a mirror; 24 for he sees himself, and goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But he who looks into the perfect law of freedom and continues, not being a hearer who forgets, but a doer of the work, this man will be blessed in what he does.

You keep telling me that you are reading the bible.

It's not reading alone that accomplishes it.

It's doing what Jesus taught us.

Focus on learning what Jesus said.

Then do it!

So - are you saying there is no reason to believe The Bible until you have a personal experience with God?
No, that is not what I'm saying.

It's not really the Bible you want to meet when you are trying to find God. It's God himself. Once you encounter God, then the Bible is there for you to read and learn about him. For me, it had to be a personal experience with God for me to believe that he exists.

No, that is not what I'm saying.

It's not really the Bible you want to meet when you are trying to find God. It's God himself. Once you encounter God, then the Bible is there for you to read and learn about him. For me, it had to be a personal experience with God for me to believe that he exists.
How does one contextualize an "encounter" with the Bible god as such, without already being familiar with the Bible?

Put another way, if you had had your "encounter" in the midst of a non-Christian culture - or even a non-religious one - how would you have interpreted it? In light of the god/s of that culture?

How does one contextualize an "encounter" with the Bible god as such, without already being familiar with the Bible?

Put another way, if you had had your "encounter" in the midst of a non-Christian culture - or even a non-religious one - how would you have interpreted it? In light of the god/s of that culture?
We call it-
Become familiar with the bible by reading it.

I.e., gain knowledge.
Learn

You ask, who are you?
He either tells me his name or I would ask.

And what if "his" reply is

"My name is Allah"

?
Then you'll be murdering infidels.
Fighting against people who don't believe in Allah.

What if there is no reply at all?
Then you can walk away scot-free and enjoy the few years you have left on earth.

Which is exactly what I would have done had he not responded to me.

His response to my question changed the entire direction of my life.

And what if "his" reply is

"My name is Allah"

?

What if there is no reply at all?
It's too late. I've experienced his presence enough to know that his name is Jesus.
He replied to me, not in an audible voice, but in other ways that let me know that he heard me. He would do the same for anyone.

And they would think you were.

Do you not think that your immersion in a Christian culture might have coloured your interpretation of your experience?
The way a Muslim's experience would be coloured?
Yes, they probably would if they were convinced about their experience.
No, I've become more sure of it over time, but thats not to say that I couldn't be deceived into thiinking/believing something that isn't true.

Back